Fanatec ClubSport Wheel & Pedal V2 Reviews

• Thread starter LogiForce
  • 166 comments
Great review Logi! Here is my initial video review and accompanying post text from ISR forums, FYI:
Here is my initial video review of the wheel, featuring pCARS gameplay. Will be adding videos (and probably a write-up too) later with more details on other games and features, as well as the ClubSport pedals V2. As you can see I did not have the v2 pedals hooked up yet in this video; was using the CSP v1's (which I've used continually for about 2 years or whenever they first came out.)

Also note (per an email from Fanatec to the testers this week), improvements have been made after the beta hardware we have to the production line for incorporation into the final product.

List of improvements made in the manufacturing process that will be a part of the final production wheels:

Depth of holes on the base-side of the quick-release has been reduced. This eliminates any play on the quick-release mechanism because metal balls now have less play.

Dimensions of the base-side part of the quick-release have been slightly reduced to make the rims slide on and off more easily.

Layout of the PCBA inside the BMW M3 GT2 rim has been changed so that paddle shifter does not hit one of the elements if moved closer to the rim.

A shorter cable is now being used to connect quick release pins to the main PCBA inside the CSW base. This solves the issue where the same cable would rub against the main PCBA and produce unwanted noises.

A fixture has been added in production to eliminate any BMW badge alignment issues on the BMW M3 GT2 rim.

Springs and switches inside paddle shifter mechanisms have been changed for higher reliability.

Metal screw inserts are now used for shifter paddle attachment - increased reliability.

Grease is now used for lubrication of paddle shifter mechanisms instead of oil. This prevents potential problems with squeaking.

Belt drive is now better aligned and with optimized inner friction of the drive system.

Sequence of LED shift lights on the BMW M3 GT2 rim has been changed to: YYY-RRR-BBB

Brightness of LED shift lights has been increased on both rims.

Type of Loctite on several screws has changed for easier disassembly.

Position sensor mount has been changed for better stability.

Due to problems with leaking in shipment, different bottles are now used for CSP V2 damper oil.

You are correct. He works for a hedge fund so he has to find the right amount or time.

I am still trying to take care of the aftermath of the TT. I kinda look like a red lobster now. lmao
So I am going to take it easy for the rest of the day. Will see if I can give the above people some answers tomorrow.

This is correct, time for me is all but non-existent because as I type this I'm on call waiting for calls from Shanghai. Money never takes a weekend. :(

but also I've had a little bump in the road which is keeping me from releasing my review. A little equipment problem. Nothing big, but I cannot release the review till I clear it up. Sorry.

But what I will say is that my review is short, to the point, and covers the equipment I have, hence there won't be comparison to the T500 as I don't have one.

Also I have a video of gameplay with the wheel from several different angles, from wheel, to pedals, to shifter, to helmet cam.

Frankly, Logi's review has basically destroyed every review I've seen, mine will never be that. Sorry, I just don't have the time. But its the best I could do. Once I get this issue straighten out with Fanatec I'll post.

I want to make it clear though, that this is some seriously awesome equipment. The wheel rims are the best out there. Like Thomas says "no toys here"

thanks

edit: Also for my video I have the Dbox disabled as its just to crazy to film with a camera on your head with it enabled. The first video I took looked like I was in an earth quake. I will take a second video later with Dbox enabled.

Maya you ever need.someone to back up your claims of how awesome the dbox is, ill be glad to make the drive down from Boston. ;)

I thought one of the requirements to be a tester was having the time to do a proper review? Not trying to be a jerk, but its kind of a let down that you dont have the time for the review. I know real life calls, but you had your job when you signed up and knew your hours. Hope at some point you get the time for a proper review.

Don't judge until you see it.

I am absolutely sure that mayaman's review will be good. It doesn't need to be 42 pages to be good (nothing against chris's)

So reserve any critisising for after the review is published.

I think fat missed the part of the technical issue I'm having. Not huge, but keeping me from writing up that portion of the review so please chill out a little buddy.

You said it was stopping you from releasing the review. You didnt say it was stopping you from writing it. Im chilled just fine.

LOL OK.

Would you like me to send you the CSW? Would that make you feel better? Since we're being internet tough guys now and carefully dissecting what anybody says.

Listen, I applied to the beta and was chosen. While I didn't mean for the review to be delayed, that is what it is. Real life comes before this, simple as that.

Who is being a tuff guy? You came on here down playing your review because you didnt have time not me. If you want to send me the wheel by all means send it. I just want to hear how the csp v2 compare to perfect pedal. Since I think your the only one with both was waiting on that. You can get as pissy as you want but you stated it not me tuff guy.

Sigh.

You were originally abrasive and insulted the review wasn't up. guess what? There wasn't a deadline for reviews, just a embargo date.

I'll have it up probably tomorrow or Monday. Don't mean to be a dick but I'm kind of sick of "internet" attitudes and their entitlement. If you would have asked nicer i would have answered nicer. But to be blunt, you weren't.

Last I'm going to comment on it since it will just escalate from there.

Tuff guys or not , it doesn't matter. Life can have strange turns. And indeed an embargo date is not a deadline date.

Never said a word about when you where releasing the review only your comments on the time you gave to it. If your mad at other internet people why take it out on me. I havent done anything to you and sorry if you took my comments as an insult but you didnt say you where having problems with your gear only that you have issues. I took it as maybe your computer with the review was messed up. I didnt insult your review if anyone did it was you.

HoiHman
Christiaan, could you explain a bit more about the "Force" setting?

-How it works
-What's effected by it
-Does it work well and do you like it AND use it
-Can setting the force higher compensate for the "heavy" BMW rim

Could you also check for me how long the wider belt is 508 or 514?

Thanks

Edit: How was the TT ? :)

@bumer thanks for the video link, i'm gonna check it out. 👍
On the ipad your post was blank though. I'm downloading it now with Mxtube?

And where the Mayaman review? :confused:

The Force setting Seems more like an effect amplifier that allows you to amplify the force feedback effects (apart from center spring and damper) up to 4 times its original strength in steps of 10. So 100 is exactly what the game is sending and it can be upped to 400.
Effect by it are all force feedback effects apart from center spring and damper signals which are transmitted from a game seperately. Though those latter to not used by all games. There are many games that use the force effects to create a software based center spring and/or damper. GT5 only is effected by changing the FOR setting, and SPR and DPR do nothing.
It works well, I like it and use it. However I asked for a 1% increment implementation as I think 10% increments are sometimes to much. They are still fine tuning it as we speak though, the setting increments.
Setting the FOR higher could compensate for the heavy rim, but I do not recommend it as many other effects are implemented there too and thus get amplified with it.

Wider belt?! you lost me for a second there. I have not had the chance to read other reviews, so forgive me.

About the TT, I will send a PM. I loved it though and enjoyed the view. Not only of the motorcycles but also the Alps. :P lol. Better not post the pic of said Alps here though. Hence PM.

Mikmav, love your comments and outlook within your video, your cover a broad spectrum of questions and issues people may have so great work. Delighted to see you finally got the chance...

It is nice to see how different people have their own approach and styles so various yet combined reviews provide us with a great deal of information and perspectives.

Last edited:
Mikemav, great stuff. I was surprised to hear about the difference between the shifters vs csre. I remember hearing those shifters in the csre reviews and being envious compared to the T500. Is it an a different switch/mechanism altogether?

Would you say if i want to buy this wheel for iRacing that i should buy the formula rim instead of Bmw as i dont have enough for both for this moment?
At the moment i mainly race with Mustang but i am looking to run in Star Mazda and maybe Riley and to keep that in mind it would make more sense to go with formula rim first as it will perform better in gt and formula racing.
Have you tried the formula rim in Mustang?

Thank You.

Have you noticed that the new GT racecars are now being engineered with advaced steering racks that allow them to use formula/prototype style steering wheels? Watching the 24 hours I noticed Corvette racing went to a more prototype looking wheel, same with most of the cars in the GT1 Championship, and even the new McLaren Mp412-C GT3 racer has a super high tech prototype steering wheel. I think in the coming years you will see even more GT manufacturers switch to these type of wheels because with new progressional steering geometry advances mean that drivers dont need a big heavy wheel because they can get lock to lock with less tortional effort and less rotation than they could in the past. I think I will only be needing a Formula wheel for my CSW.

Yea, most of the GT3 are starting to have a more "formula style rim"

The McLaren 12C GT3 wheel looks very similar to the MP4-26 wheel from 2011

2011 MP4-26 Formula 1 Wheel

2251.jpg

2012 MP4-12C GT3

McLaren-MP4-12C_GT3_2011_800x600_wallpaper_21.jpg

Is it okay for me to include my review in this thread?

Overall, I thought the Fanatec hardware was fantastic. It added a whole new sense of realism that I haven't experienced with other wheel/pedal setups. It's as much of an improvement over the G27 as the G27 is over the DFGT. The problem is, it's four times the price of the G27, and for that reason alone, I can't recommend this to anybody but the most dedicated sim racers.

Video Review

fanatecspin.gif
fanatecslide.gif

i010CPj0j2CEm.jpg

Saw your review earlier from " Neogaf? " - Great stuff, probably my favorite video review I've seen.

LogiForce
Wider belt?! you lost me for a second there. I have not had the chance to read other reviews, so forgive me.

He's asking about the length spec for the belt that wraps around the red pulley of the axis shaft.

The Elites shipped with a 514 spec Optibelt but it seems Fanatec has switched to Gates Micro-V belts on the CSW as seen in the in boxing vid posted on YouTube.......you can read it pretty clearly in that and the length spec is a 508.

Not sure of the concern though......the slipping belt problems are all with the long 2 rib belt that runs off the motors......not the 4 rib.

Is it okay for me to include my review in this thread?

Overall, I thought the Fanatec hardware was fantastic. It added a whole new sense of realism that I haven't experienced with other wheel/pedal setups. It's as much of an improvement over the G27 as the G27 is over the DFGT. The problem is, it's four times the price of the G27, and for that reason alone, I can't recommend this to anybody but the most dedicated sim racers.

Video Review

fanatecspin.gif
fanatecslide.gif

i010CPj0j2CEm.jpg

Hi mclaren777
Thanks for the fantastic review, the video quality is top notch. The narrative is also a clear and understandable especially for people with different native language. Nice to hear the opinion far from fanatical.

He's asking about the length spec for the belt that wraps around the red pulley of the axis shaft.

The Elites shipped with a 514 spec Optibelt but it seems Fanatec has switched to Gates Micro-V belts on the CSW as seen in the in boxing vid posted on YouTube.......you can read it pretty clearly in that and the length spec is a 508.

Not sure of the concern though......the slipping belt problems are all with the long 2 rib belt that runs off the motors......not the 4 rib.

Thanks, that was the anser i was looking for. :)

I made a mistake though it's 414 vs 408.

Just asking because i received a CSR Elite replacement and i noticed some changes on the previous one. Indeed Fanatec has switched from Optibelt to Gates and the 4 rib belt 414 is replaced by a 408 belt.

The two rib belt is stil a 584 length. But now there is more space available to thighten the belts if needed.

I was asking because this kinda gives me an idea of the development of the CSW base. It's clear that CSW base profits from the experience Fantec has had with the Elite wheel base.

@Mclaren777 & mikemav : Nice reviews, i enjoyed them both 👍

thehawk05

My Elite gets Gates Micro-V belts too.

Back