Fanatec CSL DD: Entry Level, $350 Direct Drive Wheel

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by GTPNewsWire, Apr 20, 2021.

1. PJTierney

PJTierney

For Xbox, will games need to be specifically made compatible with the CSL DD or is it a case of "anywhere you can plug in an CSL Elite (with an Xbox rim), you can plug in a CSL DD"?

Unlike the other platforms Xbox doesn't recognise Fanatec wheels as "Fanatec" wheels, instead using the Microsoft Wheel SDK to support them.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  2. Jtheripper

Jtheripper

The description i saw said compatible with all pc/ xbox platforms and will be a specific version for ps.
    Screenshot_2021-04-25-14-45-22.png

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  3. Atwork

Atwork

very much a Sony issue
    I don't get what you don't under, many entry or mid level buyers do not need the extra power or cost. This is the value line. I am sure we will see some middle ground in a year or two when the cs dd comes to existence. 350 is a great price and is probably kind of a dividing line for that level of consumer. Costing more than a console is a line some won't cross, even though if you are new to the ecosystem it will be more.

Also if you have not noticed the price materials have gone up. They are a business and are out make money, while pleasing as many people as possible

merseyxshore likes this.
  4. PJTierney

PJTierney

I know it’s compatible with the console, but it’s the games I’m more concerned about.

Will various Xbox racing games need updates in order to support the DD? If that’s the case then I can pretty much already confirm that certain games won’t support it as they’re no longer receiving updates, and it’ll only work on new releases.

twoskodas and Jtheripper like this.
  5. RogerSmith82

RogerSmith82

Drivehub

6. Daz555

Daz555

Typically new wheelbases have a fall-back in that they have legacy modes. The DD1/2 worked as a CSW v2.5 in the long abandoned Project Cars 2 for example. I can't imagine this new wheelbase being any different.

twoskodas, Jtheripper and PJTierney like this.
  7. PJTierney

PJTierney

Oh good :)

Basically, I want to know if I can enjoy DiRT Rally 2.0 with this wheel given the game doesn't get updates anymore. We don't officially support the Fanatec WRC wheel either (wanted to but it released too late in the game's life cycle for it to be implemented), but given the way Fanatec wheels connect to Xbox it works anyway.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Jtheripper and Daz555 like this.
  8. Mad1723

Mad1723 Premium

Usually, if the game supports Fanatec FFB, the wheelbase can do the translation. And as mentionned earlier, Fanatec usually includes a compatibility mode as a fallback.

PJTierney likes this.
  9. PJTierney

PJTierney

Excellent :)

I've only owned the CSL Elite so far so later this year I'm looking at an upgrade :)

10. kikie

kikie Premium

So, to sum it up:

• A CSL DD for the PS5 which is probably also going to be compatible with the pc.
    • A PS5
    • GT7
    • A PSVR 2 if PD manages to make GT7 VR compatible
    • Other peripherals such as pedals
    • A new very powerful gaming computer
    Does anyone have a suggestion to buy certain stock so I can buy all that stuff in the near future?

Jtheripper and JEverettL like this.
  11. Jtheripper

Jtheripper

Sorry about that, read fast maybe.
    Depends if its Fanatec directly that says its compatible i guess, then it be directly without needing a workaround from Xbox etc.
    From what you said now, does this mean fanatec arent working on ps4/5 for dr2?

Pretty disappointing if a company like codemasters doesnt add support for compatible wheels honestly.
    Its not like a small indie.
    I love dr2 but that be a bummer to learn.

PJTierney likes this.
  12. PJTierney

PJTierney

It’s a timing thing. The game is 2 years old and all of the development team are working on future releases now.

Jtheripper likes this.
  13. PRO_TOO

PRO_TOO

Endor AG! ;)

you forgot the 120hz screen! ;)

14. steve30x

steve30x

IF you look on the FANATEC EU Website the CSL Elite wheel base is no longer on there

15. kikie

kikie Premium

No I didn't because I mentioned VR, so I won't be needing a 120Hz screen.

16. PRO_TOO

PRO_TOO

Sorry mate. Missed that. it was more of a joke btw. :)

Jtheripper likes this.
  17. Racer294

Racer294

That may also be a supply chain issue. There was a chance that the Suez Canal blockage might have something to do with this. Just speculation though.

18. super_gt

super_gt

19. steve30x

steve30x

It was on the EU store up until the CSL DD was announced. I was looking at it in the store a few hours before the CSL DD Was announced. Also if it was just simply out of stock it would say so like it has been in the past. I have never seen Fanatec remove any product from their store if it was just out of stock and was going to be back on sale.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  20. super_gt

super_gt

21. Daz555

Daz555

Good to see Barry out in front.

22. SlowGrayAudi

SlowGrayAudi

How do you vote?

Barry is the ****ing man.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Gylfilleneuve likes this.
  23. DomB_Fanatec

DomB_Fanatec

You need a Fanatec account to sign in to the forum, then you should be able to vote.

K1LLD0z3R, super_gt and SlowGrayAudi like this.
  24. I see a lot of people complaining about some on the list charge for reviews and dont disclose it. I should mention that any YouTuber that receives something for free, or to review and send back, must include on their videos 'includes paid promotion' even if they're not getting paid. The 3 receiving these units must also do that.

25. Yard_Sale

Yard_Sale

I won't buy anything until Barry reviews it

Gylfilleneuve and SlowGrayAudi like this.
  26. SlowGrayAudi

SlowGrayAudi

Same for me. That man is a saint. And his voice is sweet

Gylfilleneuve likes this.
  27. Mad1723

Mad1723 Premium

upload_2021-5-17_7-59-47.png

super_gt likes this.
  28. PJTierney

PJTierney

29. kikie

kikie Premium

If there is going to be a PS5 CSL DD, which is probably also compatible with PC, I think the CSL DD is going to be my first @Fanatec... purchase.

K1LLD0z3R, super_gt and DriveSpark like this.
  30. DriveSpark

DriveSpark

The killer would be if the wheel and/or pedals had haptics built in. Imagine the brake pedal being really hard at the start of a race because the brakes are cold and then getting softer during a long race as they heat up and wear, or a vibration from a damaged tyre that worsens until it blows out. Loads of neat stuff they could do.

NosOsH likes this.