Fanatec CSL DD: Entry Level, $350 Direct Drive Wheel

It’s happening, it’s happening!

I bloody well hope that if they release a Clubsport DD that it’s PS4/5 compatible though!

unfortunately that means it’ll have to come with a wheel for Sony licensing rules I think?

Exactly. This "we don't want the CSW 2.5 on our console" approach from Sony is quite upsetting. But as far as I know, Fanatec offered Sony to create a PS hub, like they have for Xbox and Sony refused, so they had to create the CSL.

Latest interview with Thomas, rewind to 18:45 related to yesterdays "new standardd" announcement

Yeah. That basically confirms it. I´ve been hoping for Fanatec to be the official partner for GT for a while now. Maybe this is it.

CSL -> CSW -> Podium in terms of ranking.

Thanks, this new dd has to be better than the csw v2.5 above it though right?

I hope fanatec will let us know if they have any plans for a csw dd the same time they reveal this new csl dd.

CSL DD and today’s date?

Interested to see what it’s got, but I was hoping for a CSW DD, as an upgrade from my V2.5
The CSL DD may well be an upgrade in comparison to the 2.5. Would the new DD slot in above the CSW?

DD2 > DD1 > CSL DD > CSW > CSL

Just a guess though.

Last edited:
Untitled.png

👍👍👍

Probably more because it will have to be sold as a package with a rim going by what's happened in the past with both the DD1 and CSL bases.

Still, if it’s worth it weight in reliability and longevity this base at this price in my opinion will make belt and gear driven options obsolete.
If we do some quick math (assuming you’re on PC) with the base at $350 paired with a McLaren GT3 at $200, you’re into DD for $550.
What is the G29 or T300 going for now, $400?

Still, if it’s worth it weight in reliability and longevity this base at this price in my opinion will make belt and gear driven options obsolete.
If we do some quick math (assuming you’re on PC) with the base at $350 paired with a McLaren GT3 at $200, you’re into DD for $550.
I think it'll be very competitive for the console market too. I was only mentioning it as I don't expect it to be a ''base only'' option.... not for PlayStation anyway.

Last edited:
But it's still probably too powerful for a portable wheel stand right? It needs to be permanently to some sort of cockpit rig because of the torque?

Assuming paddle shifters cost the same as the CSL base they add $100, the cheapest pedal set is $100 too - in reality you're going to want the next set up at $230). So we're now at $750 at least.

A G29 is $342 on amazon right now, T300 is $400, T150 cheaper still. I think there will always be a market for them because not everyone is going to want to drop $750+ on a wheel. In terms of value for money the gear/belt wheels at their current prices - they really should be $200-250 like they were a year or two ago. I doubt if Logitech/Thrustmaster are too worriedand wouldn't expect them to lose any significant numbers of sales.

All that said, fanatec appear to be stepping it up which is great news. If they could make a belt wheel with load cell and come out the same/similar price to the TM/logitechs that would really shake up things.

Last edited:
Back