Fanatec CSL DD: Entry Level, $350 Direct Drive Wheel

The Boost Kit 180 is significantly larger and twice as powerful compared to the standard power supply which means it is more expensive.

Yes and the electronic components inside cost pence. IMO it should have been supplied as standard, why gimp your product with a lesser PSU that impacts on the products performance ? Makes little sense to me. Anyway let's see how much it is.

If they can keep the price from hiking too much for the PS5 version, and still maintain that Fanatec reliability and quality, I think I know what my next wheel will be :D Exciting times for sim racers everywhere. Logitech is just recycling the same old product and TM just cannot make a reliable product. Respect to Fanatec to keep pushing boundaries and also trying to bring cutting edge tech to the masses 👍

I am struggling to find a thread explaining the benefits of a DD wheel vs a belt wheel. I see people on here love their fanatec DD wheels but why is it better ? I currently have a TM 300 with f1 and gte add ons and t3pa pro pedals. Are DD better ? Are fanatec pedals better and why ?

I am struggling to find a thread explaining the benefits of a DD wheel vs a belt wheel. I see people on here love their fanatec DD wheels but why is it better ? I currently have a TM 300 with f1 and gte add ons and t3pa pro pedals. Are DD better ? Are fanatec pedals better and why ?

I could write a wall of text trying to answer but it would be much easier if you just had a look at this.

Top 5 Reasons To Buy A Direct Drive SimRacing Force Feed Back Wheel ! - YouTube

Fanatec pedals are very good because of their build quality and price point. When I was looking to upgrade I really wanted a set of Heusinkvelds but they were out of my budget. I love the Fanatec load cell and have had no problems.

Your T300 has much higher friction than the CSL DD. There is also dual belt drive system which dampens the FFB effects, also CSL DD has higher rotation speed and it's smoother. All this leads to much better details in the FFB. But it's hard to imagine, you have to feel it.
I say it from personal experience with T300, CSL Elite and CSL DD.

Your T300 has much higher friction than the CSL DD. There is also dual belt drive system which dampens the FFB effects, also CSL DD has higher rotation speed and it's smoother. All this leads to much better details in the FFB. But it's hard to imagine, you have to feel it.

Are you testing the CSL DD then?

I'm sure you're under NDA but can you talk dimensions? Smaller than CSL Elite base?

Edit... Looking at this picture against the Mclaren rim it appears quite small.
2021_04_12_CSL_DD_Cockpit_Shot_8171-800x534.jpg

Last edited:
Much smaller, but I'm not sure if I can give you the exact dimensions.:)

Thanks. I have base dimensions now comparing the known McLaren rim specs using photogrammetry software, very similar to the simucube sport around 130mm x130mm with less depth to mount a monitor even closer.

Man i hope they will release CSL DD compatible with PS5 this year. And that it won't be like 100eur more expensive than usual CSL DD for PC/Xbox.

I would love to see a bundle CSL DD PS5+rim+csl pedals for 500-600eur

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the weight of this unit is? I am hoping that it will work well with an NLR F-GT Lite rig, which I love by the way. I have heard that a DD1 or 2 are too heavy for it.

Maybe if it came with an actual wheel.

But this is just the base.

Most people building around this will likely still be spending $750+ for the full setup. It in no way makes belt driven setups obsolete.
This 100%.

You can get a T300 RS GT in Australia for ~$600, which includes decent pedals.
$350 USD to AUD is ~$450, and that's before adjusting for the inevitable price hike. The cheapest rim on Fanatec's Australian site is $350 alone (McLaren GT3), and we haven't even added the pedals yet.

Don't get me wrong - lowering the barrier for DD equipment is great, but gear and belt-driven systems still have a place in the market.

Hey shoemaker, I owned a T300 year’s ago and got the Podium F1 just weeks ago.
It’s a massive difference in build quality first of all. It’s worlds apart imo!
Better FFB all around..., plenty of options expanding wise, but it’s up to you spending that much money on it.
There are tons of videos comparing the systems, wich do a much better job than me. I watched a lot of videos before purchase and I do not regret it! I strongly advice getting more info’s or having a test drive somewhere.

Last edited:
Well im interested, always thought some day ill upgrade belt or dd for smoother feel.
But, 350 is just the motor drive right, need the wheel, pedal base, clamps, shifter, maybe upgrades etc.

So i mean we're still talking 1000cad maybe no. Plus ill be on ps4/5, fanatec did say they would fill this gap but what cost, will be a full kit i guess.

Interested for later on but still a major difference with my g29 on ebay new, with nice pedal base and shifter for 350cad tx incl too. Still does the job for now, good as new. Will see.."dreams of single life" lol.

But it's still probably too powerful for a portable wheel stand right? It needs to be permanently to some sort of cockpit rig because of the torque?

I wonder if the underside mounting points are the same as a CSL Elite?

I'll likely upgrade but I don't want to have to drill holes into my rig to install the thing :)

I read on their description it's table clampable, good for me too.

***Edit: would be interested in load cell pedals even whenever I'd upgrade to something like this, not sure how much fanatec sells those. Im guessing they have this.
And 6/7 speed manual shifter.

Last edited:
due to the big advancement in technology, CSL DD is shaking things up a bit.

The CSL DD is the start of a new generation, and it's not just marketing, I believe it really does represent a 'new standard' of performance, so it shouldn't be underestimated simply because it is in the 'CSL' range.

I'm just going to ask you two directly:
In your opinion(s); will the CSL DD (with the boost kit) have smoother, faster and more detailed force feedback than a CSW 2.5? Yes or no? :D

Maybe if it came with an actual wheel.

But this is just the base.

Most people building around this will likely still be spending $750+ for the full setup. It in no way makes belt driven setups obsolete.

Most people will be changing their wheel base, not buying the whole setup. $750 kit has been there already with previous CSL. It's not like anyone not wanting to spend that much on a whell will now do it because of better technology.

I just hope we will finally get one base for both PS and Xbox. This artificial division for no good reason is insane.

Last edited:
I'm very curious about their marketing strategie. Doesn't alone this anouncement of CSL DD at this point of time holding the players back, who where considering to buy a Podium? Because who cares about 20 Newton Meter peak torque that the Podium has as an advantage against CSL DD? Of course the Podiums have surely other advantages besides of more torque, maybe things like more setting possibilities, better materials overall and so on, but all in all the CSL DD should be superior to CSL and CSW and and only barely noticeable slower in FFB acceleration then the Podium DDs.

@DomB_Fanatec It sounds like lots of people are hoping for a PS4/5 version. Is one in the works, or is that hush hush?

Jerome
To quote the Fanatec blog: "And of course we are working on more DDs, including PS5 licensed DDs, as well. DD is the way to go in all our product lines."

I'm just going to ask you two directly:
In your opinion(s); will the CSL DD (with the boost kit) have smoother, faster and more detailed force feedback than a CSW 2.5? Yes or no? :D
Yes.

A couple of questions.

Will T-Nuts and matching bolts be supplied with the wheel? If not, then what size should I be looking for?

What are the prices of the Boost Kit 180 and the table clamp?

A couple of questions.

Will T-Nuts and matching bolts be supplied with the wheel? If not, then what size should I be looking for?

What are the prices of the Boost Kit 180 and the table clamp?
T-nuts are supplied, bolts are not. This is line with our other products; we don't supply bolts because we don't know the thickness of the surfaces that the customer wishes to hard-mount to. The bolt size is M6, same as the bottom mounts on our other bases. The side mounts are therefore also M6, which is different from the Podium bases which use M8 holes on the side. This means to use the Podium Mounting Brackets you'll need to use washers to compensate for the size difference. This type of information will be available on the product page (with further details about bolt length in the Quick Guide) once the CSL DD is ready to order.

Detailed pricing for accessories will follow soon.

Back