Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel Thread- officially licensed for PS4

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 2,901 comments
I posted over in the Assetto Corsa forum as well, but figured it was worth a shot here too. Is Assetto Corsa supposed to recognize the CSL Elite automatically? I don't see a profile for it, only the G29. Base is in blue PS4 mode and I'm running the most recent firmware.

If we're supposed to just create a custom profile, anyone got any good settings they're using in-game and on the wheel for Assetto Corsa on the PS4?
That game was released before CSL came out for PS4, so the game doesn't have support implemented for it.

That game was released before CSL came out for PS4, so the game doesn't have support implemented for it.
The support for CSL Elite was added in one of their updates and the wheel works fine in PS4 mode apart from the button mapping bugs. There's just no preset for it in the game.

I posted over in the Assetto Corsa forum as well, but figured it was worth a shot here too. Is Assetto Corsa supposed to recognize the CSL Elite automatically? I don't see a profile for it, only the G29. Base is in blue PS4 mode and I'm running the most recent firmware.

If we're supposed to just create a custom profile, anyone got any good settings they're using in-game and on the wheel for Assetto Corsa on the PS4?
https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/suppo...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet This may help.

I just got mine and I love it! For anyone concerned about the wheel's compatibility with GT Sport: don't be. It works flawlessly - you can even change the button mappings by changing the game's G29 mappings. The only thing missing is the gear/speed indicator on the wheel's LED display, not a big deal. None of the other wheels even have an LED display afaik. I wish GT Sport had force feedback adjustments, and I wish GTS's force feedback gave you some road detail on tarmac, but those are problems with the game, not the wheel.

So i was debating between T-GT and a Csl Elite before last night , when simracinggirl review poped up, wanted to go with the t-gt found a deal for 600
but, man this wheel everyone says that is amazing.
But from what i saw has belt slip issues and wierd sounds? how is the reiability? how is dealing with fanatec in 2017?
Anyone that has this wheel can confirm?
Im playing playing mostly on pc but when i will have the buged maybe i ll buy ps4+gt sport.

So i was debating between T-GT and a Csl Elite before last night , when simracinggirl review poped up, wanted to go with the t-gt found a deal for 600
but, man this wheel everyone says that is amazing.
But from what i saw has belt slip issues and wierd sounds? how is the reiability? how is dealing with fanatec in 2017?
Anyone that has this wheel can confirm?
Im playing playing mostly on pc but when i will have the buged maybe i ll buy ps4+gt sport.
It's pretty impossible to judge the reliability after only a few months but so far it seems pretty bullet proof. Don't think I have heard of anyone having a broken wheel base yet. Few problems with d-pad on the wheel etc but nothing too serious. Also dont think there's any problems with the belt slipping, as far as I understand it is a toothed belt so making it slip would be pretty hard. Wheel can be noisy but it pretty much depends on the game. Assetto Corsa on ps4 with high FEI settings can make some noise but on the other hand Project Cars with the same settings is pretty silent.

I'm very satisfied with mine so far and glad I chose to go with Fanatec instead of overpricedT-GT.

It's pretty impossible to judge the reliability after only a few months but so far it seems pretty bullet proof. Don't think I have heard of anyone having a broken wheel base yet. Few problems with d-pad on the wheel etc but nothing too serious. Also dont think there's any problems with the belt slipping, as far as I understand it is a toothed belt so making it slip would be pretty hard. Wheel can be noisy but it pretty much depends on the game. Assetto Corsa on ps4 with high FEI settings can make some noise but on the other hand Project Cars with the same settings is pretty silent.

I'm very satisfied with mine so far and glad I chose to go with Fanatec instead of overpricedT-GT.

What wheels you had before and how would you rate CSL ELITE on a scale 1-10?

Last edited:
I've had the following wheels:
DFGT
G29
Fanatec Porsche Turbo S

The CSL Elite blows all these wheels away imo.
Currently I rate the CSL and 8, if things improve on the software side (drivers, game FFB updates). I would give it a 9.

What wheels you had before and how would you rate it on a scale 1-10?
In the past few years I've had G29, t300 and t500. Don't really know how to rate it, but so far happy with it. Stronger and smoother ffb than the others and the pedals (with Loadcell) are great. Only complaint for me would propably be the very basic semi quick release system on the wheel but that's not really an issue if you're not swapping rims all the time and the one in Thrustmaster wheels is just as bad.

Me personaly i've owned Thrustmaster Tx and logitech g920 witch i sold 1 week ago ,and switching from Tx to logitech was a MAJOR downgrade but i got upset on TM becasue my wheel broke (was out of warranty bought 2nd hand) and we all know reiability issues with TM, But while i had the TX i was like in HEAVEN, what a wheel man what a wheel ,wont go back to logitech even if i have to quit racing, never had a fanatec, i've been scouting in teh last week the t-gt forums thinking it will be a step up , even tho i found the T-GT wheel at 620 with shipping inculded, the fanatec for me will be 650 with shipiing inculded , because i live on a island , heat is a problem here 35-40 inside house in the summer , so im expecting the wheels to last :) , but from what i saw ....i also speak with fanatec office today and they told me will be some massive sales on black friday, lucky me i guess to wait 2 more weeks :) to order one , but yea any experience from owners will help me in these 2 weeks to really decide, im not playing currenty on ps4 tho just pc
Hearing that is stronger than t500 for me is already...sold :)

Last edited:
I've had the following wheels:
DFGT
G29
Fanatec Porsche Turbo S

The CSL Elite blows all these wheels away imo.
Currently I rate the CSL and 8, if things improve on the software side (drivers, game FFB updates). I would give it a 9.
That was my reason to get a thrustmaster. The support and compatibility , right now, is not so good. Running a premium officially licensed wheel in various modes seems like an afterthought. The problem lies with developers too certainly, but it seems thrustmaster and even Logitech are almost always supported out of the box.

That was my reason to get a thrustmaster. The support and compatibility , right now, is not so good. Running a premium officially licensed wheel in various modes seems like an afterthought. The problem lies with developers too certainly, but it seems thrustmaster and even Logitech are almost always supported out of the box.

true, but i'm hopeful Fanatec + the game developers will sort it out. If not then I will switch from PS4 to PC for racing games.

These firmware and compatibity are stacking up against this officially ps4 licensed wheel. From my understanding:
Assetto Corsa: ps4 mode (blue)you can’t map some functions like TC

PC2: Apparantly broken compatibility in ps4(blue), Logitech (purple) and csw (yellow) modes. Even recommending rolling back to older drivers/firmware. Which will rollback GTsport compatibility.
People on the PCars forum can’t seem to agree it needs fixing on the developers side.

GT sport: only in purple mode in new firmware and not in native ps4 mode. Support will be added...eventually

Also how come a very popular and long available formula rim is backordered a few weeks now till 29-12-2017? What the hell they really need 3 months to get new stock?

Asked a few questions via mail, Facebook and referring me to telephone during very select hours (when I’m at work!) or live chat?!?! Where you have to fill in a product code to progress to the chat. I’m a new client I don’t own a fanatec product yet! Eventually I got 2 different answers for the same question from 2 different people. All I wanted to know why it was backordered such a long time (update, revision or refresh). No update, revision or refresh and no explanation.

These where signs for me that there is something wrong there at Fanatec. They produce nice and well thought out high end products for a reasonable price. But they definitely fail in after sales support.

I have recently got my CSL Elite ps4 wheel, initially hoping to play GT Sport.
After paying way to much shipping cost, it arrived, plugged it in my laptop updated the firmware.

Booted up my PS4 to play GTS, but unfortunately the feeling of the wheel was a little generic...

I started Assetto Corsa, knowing it has full support from Fanatec. I was instantly smiling, the feeling of the road and the different car characteristics is really breathtaking.

It is definitely worth the price, although I get what you're saying about their sales and aftersales departments.

Furthermore, I really expected less problems with the current new sim games for PS4.
Just bought PJC2 this morning, only to find out now the patch broke the CSL wheel.

Hope Fanatec will eventually get their company structured around the big growth in sales, because the feel of the wheel is just amazeballs.

Last edited:
After paying way to much shipping cost, it arrived, plugged it in my laptop updated the firmware.

Booted up my PS4 to play GTS, but unfortunately the feeling of the wheel was a little generic...

I started Assetto Corsa, knowing it has full support from Fanatec. I was instantly smiling, the feeling of the road and the different car characteristics is really breathtaking.

It is definitely worth the price, although I get what your saying about their sales and aftersales departments.

Furthermore, I really expected less problems with the current new sim games for PS4.
Just bought PJC2 this morning, only to find out now the patch broke the CSL wheel.

Hope Fanatec will eventually get there company structured around the big growth in sales, because the feel of the wheel is just amazeballs.

Good to hear , what wheels you tried before the CSL?

Good to hear , what wheels you tried before the CSL?
When I was racing GT6 on ps3, I had the G25, which was a pretty decent setup in that time of sim racing gear. Had a lot of fun racing thousands of miles online with friends.

More recently I've raced with the G29, which is a pretty good wheel for the price range but definitely not in the same scope as the Fanatec or Thrustmaster TGT in that respect. I was really looking for a semiprofessional sim wheel, which had modular options, and a good base to expand over the months/years.

So I was also looking to buy TGT, but the lack of modular options, pedals, and the price lead me to Fanatec, since I had heard really good stories about the brand.

There is a lot of potential in the wheel, but it is still in a development(ish) stage in my opinion. But the games which work with the wheel, on ps4, have a feeling in the wheel which isn’t even on the same planet as the G25 which I used for more than 3 years.

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to make a Fanatec Clubsport V2 work with force feedback on GT- Sport?
My Drivehub has the latest firmware. My V2 has the latest firmware for that base as well. The wheel and V2 peddles work in the game, but there is no FFB at all.

It is definitely worth the price, although I get what you're saying about their sales and aftersales departments.

Hope Fanatec will eventually get their company structured around the big growth in sales, because the feel of the wheel is just amazeballs.
Are you in Purple mode for GTS? If not it makes a huge difference.

FMW
Has anyone been able to make a Fanatec Clubsport V2 work with force feedback on GT- Sport?
My Drivehub has the latest firmware. My V2 has the latest firmware for that base as well. The wheel and V2 peddles work in the game, but there is no FFB at all.
You need to run in logitech mode because there is no fanatec support in GTS at the moment. Even CSL imitates g29

Hi all,
I was thinking of buying a csl elite with pedals and load cell brake for my PS4 and I have two questions:
1. Does the wheel work without any problems on assetto corsa PS4? I heard that the force feedback is very numb with the newest 1.16 patch.
2. Is it possible to use the th8a shifter?

Greetings
Dani46

Been leaning more to csl elite package , after 2 weeks of scouting and im left with some questions:
Fei settings how much of a force im losing by using the slider to 7 lets say for example than to 0 ? im losing 10-20-30%? in overall force and effects? or more?
The rattling , is just sound? (because ive seen is quite high) or interfering with the actual wheel feedback?
What about wheel shake on straight line? is has problems ? someone complained about wheel shake and hes a known reviewer.
Would be great if i can get an answer from the fanatec user guessing is Mr.Thomas itself, but im just dreaming....

Last edited:
Been leaning more to csl elite package , after 2 weeks of scouting and im left with some questions:
Fei settings how much of a force im losing by using the slider to 7 lets say for example than to 0 ? im losing 10-20-30%? in overall force and effects? or more?
The rattling , is just sound? (because ive seen is quite high) or interfering with the actual wheel feedback?
What about wheel shake on straight line? is has problems ? someone complained about wheel shake and hes a known reviewer.
Would be great if i can get an answer from the fanatec user guessing is Mr.Thomas itself, but im just dreaming....

There are two variables here. What simulation are you playing. Some generate more rattle than others. The other is that other settings besides FEI can have an effect. Maybe more so with the shaking then the rattling. My CSL is used only on a PC. No rattle with GPL (probably because its such an old SIM). No shake on center. Some shake against the hard stops in rotation. Will probably never be sure I have all the settings optimized.

The FEI setting appears to slow down the response to the ffb effects to prevent the rattling and you don’t really lose any strength in the ffb. The shaking when driving in a straight line is usually caused by having the DOR reduced from its default setting, certain cars are very bad for this when you have DOR set at 540 for example and turning it back up to at least 720 gets rid of most of it. Stop sitting on the fence man and get it ordered but beware once you’ve started it’s hard to stop and I can thoroughly recommend the formula rim as it completely changes the driving experience and ffb

Thanks for all the info , really apreciate it ,my pain will last another 2 weeks until i order tho, im waiting for black friday , who knows what offers we will have , if i get a set of CSW v2.5 lower than it is now , i ll go for it. If csl elite is on sale i ll go for that , so really depends what they ll put up for sales.
But my mind is set, im done , either CSL elite or CSW v2.5 :D...take my money already...hehe

If they put both on sale (witch i highly doubt) i ll go with CSW 2.5 if im getting a good offer.

The latest GT Sport update 1.05 caused a few issues with CSL Elite for now when wheel is on center driving down straights or waiting fo race to start you get a little oscillation. I imagine they are trying to account for a little deadzone on the G29 which doesn't really exist on the CSL Elite so it causes it to sort of snap a tiny bit.

Still usable but man I can't wait for polyphony and fanatec to have full support in GT Sport. I think once they have it all finished the CSL Elite will easily be the best wheel for the price by far.

This is all just silly though. How much did you have to pay Sony for that "Officially Licensed" logo on your box? Seems like a pretty bad deal for peripheral manufacturers from where I'm sitting. As a software engineer I would expect that to mean that your product meets certain reliability/quality and functionality requirements set by Sony to work with a certain set of capabilities that they dictate. How can there not be a common API from Sony being used by device drivers on one side and the games on the other to ensure that core functionality is available in "Officially Licensed" Sony games using "Officially Licensed" peripherals without a bunch of extra special support coded on top of both sides?

Regardless of how that is actually being handled, what's the point of getting "Officially Licensed" if the game developers (of flagship Sony exclusive titles no less) apparently aren't even required to support your device before they can go to market? You are certainly right that it's not in your hands to make the game devs work on your peripherals. It's in Sony's hands. You paid them a lot of money to do that.

To be clear, I don't blame Fanatec or any of the other device manufacturers, at least as I currently understand the environment, but I think releasing a bunch of hacky firmware updates to make the devices sort of work (and apparently creating other problems in the process) in the meantime is counter-productive when the pressure should really be on Sony to provide the capabilities that your licensing fees are paying for. Some of the tempers in the thread might not want to hear it when they are harassing your support staff but every one of them should be referred to someone at Sony to help scream and shout on your behalf.

I have $1000 worth of brand new Fanatec equipment that I've used for about an hour since I received it at the beginning of the month. I'm not gonna sit here compulsively updating firmware and trying different settings just to realize a barely acceptable experience so I wait. But I don't blame you, or PD, or any of the other individual game developers. They shouldn't have to create special, individual support for every possible device Sony slaps a stamp on (whether they want to add extra support for brand specific features on top or later down the road is for them to work out with you all).

David, as someone who is both a thrustmaster and fanatec customer who may eventually convert everything to the fanatec eco-system at some point in the future (mostly due to the pedals), I want to thank you.

I've been painstaking over what my next move will be and I feel a bit lost. I've read so much on these compatibility issues and concerns, and through it all I have been thinking what you so eloquently and thoughtfully stated above.

Seriously, my friend, thank you. Bravo.

I truly hope someone way more important than me and connected to these issues read your words as well and is doing something about it as it would help my decision making process a great deal.

Back