Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel Thread- officially licensed for PS4

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 2,901 comments
Sorry, an additional question: do any of you guys remember, just for a precedent standpoint, what the black Friday deals were like for fanatec and how far ( or little) in advance they were made public?

For example, did they do an extra $50 off on a V2, or an extra $50 off on a bundle or were they really more substantial savings?

Thank you.

EDIT: Found what last year's deals were...pretty substantial:

http://www.bsimracing.com/fanatec-black-friday-deals/

EDIT 2: 2015 was a darn good deal:

http://www.virtualr.net/fanatec-black-friday-csw-sale

Last edited:
I just got mine and I love it! For anyone concerned about the wheel's compatibility with GT Sport: don't be. It works flawlessly - you can even change the button mappings by changing the game's G29 mappings. The only thing missing is the gear/speed indicator on the wheel's LED display, not a big deal. None of the other wheels even have an LED display afaik. I wish GT Sport had force feedback adjustments, and I wish GTS's force feedback gave you some road detail on tarmac, but those are problems with the game, not the wheel.
GT Sport has ffb adjustments but not in contoller options menu. Select a race, a car then drill down a few menus to find them.

David, as someone who is both a thrustmaster and fanatec customer who may eventually convert everything to the fanatec eco-system at some point in the future (mostly due to the pedals), I want to thank you.

I've been painstaking over what my next move will be and I feel a bit lost. I've read so much on these compatibility issues and concerns, and through it all I have been thinking what you so eloquently and thoughtfully stated above.

Seriously, my friend, thank you. Bravo.

I truly hope someone way more important than me and connected to these issues read your words as well and is doing something about it as it would help my decision making process a great deal.

This isn't all just something that can be solved in a couple of days or weeks. It's a lot of different people from all over the world with all sorts of things going on.

Thomas from Fanatec has already made it abundantly clear that they are working directly with Polyphony to get full support in GT Sport, these things just take time. If you want a setup that will work perfectly out of the box with GT Sport, wait until that is implemented. It isn't complicated. No need for people to be writing manifestos on how they think the sim racing steering wheel industry should work. They are working on it. End of story.

I want to share something with you guys witch i think its a step in finalizing the purchase of a fanatec product now on black friday.
Been sending mails with questions to fanatec and thrustmaster , even tho im not an actual customer and i havent bought something from them
Fanatec actually replied all my 3 e-mails (Eg : send today and they replyed next day), even with explanation and instructions witch is amazing.
Thrustmaster on the other hand , havent replyed , and prob wont.
I want to share my last mail here. Copy paste cus idk how to make a quality screenshot

Fanatec Support <e-support@fanatec.com>
cleardot.gif
12:12 PM (23 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hello Tache,

thank you for your enquiry.

Regarding the CSW V2.5 mounting I want to point out, that it also would be possible to hardmount the wheel base in case you have a desk or similar available, where you can drill the concerning mounting holes for hardmounting the base. I have seen many customers who just hardmount their ClubSport Wheel Bases like this.

Regarding the FEI Setting, basically there is no loss of Force Feedback strength. In the end you can say the speed of how a Force Feedback effect kicks in is reduced or for a better understanding it is similar to soundwaves. Basically you can imagine the Force Feedback Effect to be like a squarewave. The more FEI you set, the more this wave will be transformed into a sinewave. (please see enclosed pictures).

Please note, that a force feedback wheel always will develop noises and that the FEI setting was implemented in order to weaken the noise generation of the wheel base. We cannot cross out, that there still will be noises, depending on the general force feedback settings or the strength set for the force feedback motor.

But so far I did not hear anything bad about the FEI setting and the feeling of the Force Feedback in this correlation.
Some customers even reported, that the force feedback effects felt better with this new setting than before. Maybe its the best to check out the comments below the FEI introduction in our Community page to get an idea of how our customers experienced this setting so far
and they sent me to pics explaining how FFB with fei works witch i will atach.
square_wave.jpg
W/O FEI
sine_wave.png
WITH FEI
So far...i really like this .

I want to share something with you guys witch i think its a step in finalizing the purchase of a fanatec product now on black friday.
Been sending mails with questions to fanatec and thrustmaster , even tho im not an actual customer and i havent bought something from them
Fanatec actually replied all my 3 e-mails (Eg : send today and they replyed next day), even with explanation and instructions witch is amazing.
Thrustmaster on the other hand , havent replyed , and prob wont.
I want to share my last mail here. Copy paste cus idk how to make a quality screenshot

Fanatec Support <e-support@fanatec.com>
cleardot.gif
12:12 PM (23 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hello Tache,

thank you for your enquiry.

Regarding the CSW V2.5 mounting I want to point out, that it also would be possible to hardmount the wheel base in case you have a desk or similar available, where you can drill the concerning mounting holes for hardmounting the base. I have seen many customers who just hardmount their ClubSport Wheel Bases like this.

Regarding the FEI Setting, basically there is no loss of Force Feedback strength. In the end you can say the speed of how a Force Feedback effect kicks in is reduced or for a better understanding it is similar to soundwaves. Basically you can imagine the Force Feedback Effect to be like a squarewave. The more FEI you set, the more this wave will be transformed into a sinewave. (please see enclosed pictures).

Please note, that a force feedback wheel always will develop noises and that the FEI setting was implemented in order to weaken the noise generation of the wheel base. We cannot cross out, that there still will be noises, depending on the general force feedback settings or the strength set for the force feedback motor.

But so far I did not hear anything bad about the FEI setting and the feeling of the Force Feedback in this correlation.
Some customers even reported, that the force feedback effects felt better with this new setting than before. Maybe its the best to check out the comments below the FEI introduction in our Community page to get an idea of how our customers experienced this setting so far
and they sent me to pics explaining how FFB with fei works witch i will atach.View attachment 690678 W/O FEI View attachment 690679 WITH FEI
So far...i really like this .
My personal experience with fanatec experience was vastly different. Maybe they improved their support these last few weeks!

My personal experience with fanatec experience was vastly different. Maybe they improved their support these last few weeks!
I just ordered from their website w mixed results. The registration and ordering was fine, shopping is fun on their site. However, it took almost two days to get a tracking number from fedex. I emailed fanatec support several times. Did get a cordial personalized response 12hrs later but it did take another 24hrs for confirmation and actual shipping. It appears from past posts I have read that they are improving. To be fair, Thrustmaster still hasnt responded to my load cell question after almost two weeks.

Last edited:
Guys from my point of view with FANATEC you will have the Best for your money the quality in the device is in other league and having new things every time and much more importan tell me any one of you can you talk any time with the Logitec o Thustmaster CEO? they are just making money in FANATEC guys like Thomas you just get passion in any product and this is priceless.

By the way I'm just and other one of you, just wishing have a FANATEC product but not the budget to expend 800 for a good kit and the CSL line came out and change every thing in all the ways.

Last edited:
This isn't all just something that can be solved in a couple of days or weeks. It's a lot of different people from all over the world with all sorts of things going on.

Thomas from Fanatec has already made it abundantly clear that they are working directly with Polyphony to get full support in GT Sport, these things just take time. If you want a setup that will work perfectly out of the box with GT Sport, wait until that is implemented. It isn't complicated. No need for people to be writing manifestos on how they think the sim racing steering wheel industry should work. They are working on it. End of story.

I don’t disagree with anything you said, Andrew. Additionally, if you read David’s post I️ believe he was more getting on sony’s case. I am a fanatec customer and will be again, sooner rather than later. However, the communication to the peripheral makers should be better, not just out of respect for a developer like fanatec, but out of respect to Sony's customers.

Fanatec:
So what is this?

3257701c2eb3bed0a828fbdc3ada78.jpg

Link

Podium series (not just the DD wheel) let's get you some clothes!

If you look at the picture from close you will see CSL.:)

View attachment 690792

SGT, you steely eyed missile man! Good eyes, buddy!

Mind...slightly blown. CSL Elite being made out of metal/carbon for a higher price?

Thoughts? opinions?

EDIT: The lower end Podium DD with CSL labeling?

No, they would keep it under the Podium line.

Edit 2: F them, I can't think about anything else right now!! :drool::lol:

Good to know. There is a big price gap, between a Logtiech or Thrustmaster budget set and a Fanatec bundle, which is why I'm trying to make sure it is warranted.
I was referring to the pic @super_gt posted, could be the RSR wheel for PS4 with a new design.

The 918 RSR steering wheel works already fine on the PS4 ;)

You rascal, Thomas.

Just tell us. It will stay right here, in this thread.

My lips are sealed. It looks like we already gave away to many hints anyway. ;)

But there are plenty of features hidden on the pictures which have not been discovered yet. Features which are not only new to Fanatec but world premiers.

My 2 cents - a new Ferrari rim for the CSL Elite PS4.

Ferrari and PS4 anyone?

Still waiting for Black Friday .....

Don't think anyone suggested it could/should be solved overnight.

No, see you clearly don't get it and have too narrow a view of the issue. Do you have stock in some of these companies? What I wrote, and BuckFly responded to, was not a "manifesto." What I wrote isn't just about the insignificant "sim racing steering wheel industry," it is about a general lack of standards and good practices in software engineering even at major software focused companies like SONY and how it affects their customers. The problem with wheel compatibility is just one symptom of the overall problem, and it's particularly funny when so many of the people who argue in support of playing games on a console over a PC always like to point out that "everything just works." It doesn't. And poor engineering decisions play a huge part. I also made it clear that I wasn't blaming Fanatec or Thrustmaster, or Logitech or any of the other peripheral manufacturers. They paid SONY a lot of money for licensing (a cost that is passed on to you in the price of the licensed device) to have to deal with a whole lot of misplaced hate and anger from their customers.

Implementing unique support for a whole bunch of wheels, from a whole bunch of manufacturers, in a whole bunch of games, made by tons of different companies is what leads to the disaster we all get to enjoy currently. This makes it WAY more likely from patch-to-patch, game-to-game that support for different wheels will be broken/degraded on an ever changing basis. And on top of that the devices are getting firmware updates at a fast pace so the devs on both sides are trying to hit moving targets. This is bad for you. This is bad for the peripheral manufacturers. This is a headache for the game devs. SONY has the power to make this all so much easier.

Next time you have nothing to actually contribute to a conversation, maybe keep it in your own head.

Hell, I'm still wondering when T10 will allow me to use the rev LEDs on the CSL Elite PS4 base. It's a feature I genuinely love in PC2 on PS4 and would love to have it on F7 for X1.

I agree that it would make our lives much simpler and there are plenty of advantages for the consumer. Ease of use is especially important for console users.

On the other hand it would kill innovation as there will be no special features as we can see on Xbox One.

To make a console protocol for all wheels only makes sense if it is really powerful and allows tons of buttons, axis, actuators, telemetry data sync. etc.
This is possible but no console has it yet.

And what about the customisation of force feedback?

A low budget wheel with 2NM of torque requires artificial boost of low signals while a DD wheel could run with fully linear signals.

The wheels would need to send out how much torque it can deliver. Not impossible but it needs to be done.

I take it the developers give you guys an instruction set that allows you to do port control for which features you want to add in your products, but anything other features that you might add to set yourself apart from the competition must in turn be approved and implemented on their end.

Do you guys get a datasheet for console hardware that gives you what ports are available to use and for what purpose?

Latest Posts

Back