Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel Thread- officially licensed for PS4

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 2,901 comments
1.) How heavy is the wheel base?
I intend on installing this on a GT Omega stand and if it's heavy as the T500rs, then that might be the deal breaker unfortunately.
I use it on the GTomega with GTS and PCars2 since February and it works perfectly. I don't set the wheel at full power though, just to keep it (the wheel base, not the gtomega) alive as long as possible. Plus it doesn't reflect the reality to use it at full power, there's too much FFB.

IMG_20180725_130753.jpg

I use it on the GTomega with GTS and PCars2 since February and it works perfectly. I don't set the wheel at full power though, just to keep it (the wheel base, not the gtomega) alive as long as possible. Plus it doesn't reflect the reality to use it at full power, there's too much FFB.

Awesome my dude! Glad to finally see someone running the CSR Elite on the GT Omega wheel stand. I felt my old T500rs was a bit too much for the wheel stand but this doesn't seem to be the case. I live in a household where I have no choice but to constantly keep putting away my setup due to a nagging gf lol.

Revlights not currently working but I honestly can't say I miss it. FFB performance has been great though.

Oh , I thought i saw a few videos on YouTube with the rev lights working . Bugger , was looking forward to the rev lights : (

Oh , I thought i saw a few videos on YouTube with the rev lights working . Bugger , was looking forward to the rev lights : (

Yeah that was from using the wheel in emulation mode (purple mode). If I am honest the rev lights are actually a bit bright haha.

Helllllllllp

Hi guys,
I just got my CSL Elite PS4 Wheel and bade with a McLaren GT3 yesterday. I updated everything as per the instructions. The CSL PS4 Wheel is working perfectly and as it should.
However I am having major issues with the GT3 Wheel

I flashed and reloaded the latest firmware for both the wheel and base several times. I’m wondering if this Wheel I got is just cactus straight out of the box or if it’s something I’m doing wrong or missing?!

The issue is that in the ‘Test screen’ on the Fanatec Hub on the PC most of the inputs from the wheel hardly seem to not work at all or at best respond very erratically now and then. So obviously as a result it’s pretty much unresponsive on PS4. It’s impossible to navigate through the home screen and all you do is end up with a sore finger tip trying
As I said, everything else, as in the other wheel and pedals and base all seem to be operating perfectly.

I have gone right through the 58pages of this thread and haven’t seen anyone who has had a similar issue which leads me to believe that this Wheel is faulty. Will Fanatec replace this or will I have to get it repaired, as I said it’s brand new. Any advice on what the quickest way for me to get this resolved through Fanatec would be?

I’m in Sydney Australia.

Cheers and thankyou for any input/advice.

Helllllllllp

Hi guys,
I just got my CSL Elite PS4 Wheel and bade with a McLaren GT3 yesterday. I updated everything as per the instructions. The CSL PS4 Wheel is working perfectly and as it should.

I flashed and reloaded the latest firmware for both the wheel and base several times. I’m wondering if this Wheel I got is just cactus straight out of the box or if it’s something I’m doing wrong or missing?!

The issue is that in the ‘Test screen’ on the Fanatec Hub on the PC most of the inputs from the wheel hardly seem to not work at all or at best respond very erratically now and then. So obviously as a result it’s pretty much unresponsive on PS4. It’s impossible to navigate through the home screen and all you do is end up with a sore finger tip trying
As I said, everything else, as in the other wheel and pedals and base all seem to be operating perfectly.

I have gone right through the 58pages of this thread and haven’t seen anyone who has had a similar issue which leads me to believe that this Wheel is faulty. Will Fanatec replace this or will I have to get it repaired, as I said it’s brand new. Any advice on what the quickest way for me to get this resolved through Fanatec would be?

I’m in Sydney Australia.

I recommend to contact Fanatec support to indentify the issue. I have heard of issues with the pins in the quick release of the GT3 wheel with some batches. Make a video of the issue and contact Fanatec.

I recommend to contact Fanatec support to indentify the issue. I have heard of issues with the pins in the quick release of the GT3 wheel with some batches. Make a video of the issue and contact Fanatec.

Cheers bud.
Yeh, I sent them an email but the video I made wouldn’t go. Kept saying file was too large and exceeds 25Mb limit (using Gmail) I’ll have to try condensing it or chopping it up but 25Mb doesn’t sound like much.

Helllllllllp

Hi guys,

I’m in Sydney Australia.

I had a similar issue on one my first GT3 wheel which was one of the early iterations. Contact Fanatec and let them know and they should get a replacement to you. My replacement has had zero issues.

Wow. Sounds great. How should it work then? I am a bit confused with ps4 buttons on CSL wheel. It appears to be they are not necessary?

I am considering getting a CSL elite base but I'm thinking of pairing it with a better clubsport wheel since I am still dreaming of getting a DD setup. Will the elite handle a heavier wheel such as the ClubSport Steering Wheel GT Forza Motorsport? I know it is compatible, I'm just wondering if the extra weight (moment of inertia) will be a problem.

I was also wondering how the FFB would compare in GT Sport (or other PS4 games) for a CSL Elite wheel in PS4 mode vs. a CSW 2.5 wheel connected to a DriveHub. Thanks in advance.

I tried the Elite Wheel PS4 for the first time last night. I firstly upgraded the software as instructed via a PC. Then I used the wheel on a new RS6 Mach 2 Track Racer cockpit (its revised and stiff version of their RS6) .

However the wheel just dropped out a few times. I lost all control and crashed, and I couldn't even open the door of my Megan to kick the car ... I was stuck in there with the motor burbling and not able to do anything!

I haven't raced for years, so was at the beginning of the game, and lost progressively the lights, then the brakes, accelerator and finally the steering stopped. Then the PS4 quite a bit later announced in plain white lettering : "Controller Disconnection". So I tried the other USB port of the PS4 and the same thing happened. I swapped the USB cable too for the one which came with the Clubsport pedals, but the same thing happened.

I read though that the power cable can get loose, and I haven't fully tightened the wheelbases platform, so perhaps it was a loss of power. I'll try again tonight. But I suspect its a faulty product.

I also presumed the rubber "O" ring is not for the Elite wheel? It seems its for Clubsport wheels?

Also ... is the green plastic which is just above the large playstation icon button at the bottom of the wheel - is that a light? Because its never come on?

And when the PS4 starts and asks to engage your controller by pushing the playstation button - that doesn't work on the Elite PS4 wheel ... I keep pushing the button and hitting the "X" button - but the wheel doesn't seem to being recognised by the PS4. Nothing responds at the start. In fact after starting the PS4 with the hand controller, my wheel's controls still don't interface with the PS4 - at all. Seems my new wheel, with a quality control sticker on the back of the wheelbase, is defective on arrival.

Last edited:
I am considering getting a CSL elite base but I'm thinking of pairing it with a better clubsport wheel since I am still dreaming of getting a DD setup. Will the elite handle a heavier wheel such as the ClubSport Steering Wheel GT Forza Motorsport? I know it is compatible, I'm just wondering if the extra weight (moment of inertia) will be a problem.

I was also wondering how the FFB would compare in GT Sport (or other PS4 games) for a CSL Elite wheel in PS4 mode vs. a CSW 2.5 wheel connected to a DriveHub. Thanks in advance.
I am like you but bought the Elite for simplicity as GT Sport is what I was familiar with. I am unsure on the differences on the motor side between the Elite for PS4 wheelbase and the Clubsport, although the tech specs say 6Nm for the Elite PS4 and 8 Nm for the Clubsport, Fanatec have said somewhere that the acceleration of the Elite is quicker ... which would diminish the torque. Hence there must be a gearing difference if the wheelbases motors are the same. But a huge step up to the DD wheel at 15Nm for the DD1 and 22 or so for the DD2. So really there isn't much difference IMO between the Clubsport and the Elite PS4 ... I hope the PS4 Elite is easier to sell than the straight forward Elite for Xbox.

Hmm I checked the wheel, and its just dead. It passes all tests via the PC connection, but there is no handshaking or recognition by the PS4 that the wheel now exists. I have selected the wheel GT Sport's controller options. With the PS4, the controller options do not recognise that the Elite is there at all. The only controller shown on the PS4 is the hand controller, despite the wheelbase being connected and the wheel showing its in Blue mode. None of the wheel's controls respond either.

It's a dead on arrival I reckon.

And some parts were missing too.

Not impressed by Fanatec, especially that their replies take days to come through. I'll ring Germany tonight I guess. I'm considering returning the whole lot of gear and just getting a logitech G29. At least it will work.

Last edited:
Hmm I checked the wheel, and its just dead. It passes all tests via the PC connection, but there is no handshaking or recognition by the PS4 that the wheel now exists. I have selected the wheel GT Sport's controller options. With the PS4, the controller options do not recognise that the Elite is there at all. The only controller shown on the PS4 is the hand controller, despite the wheelbase being connected and the wheel showing its in Blue mode. None of the wheel's controls respond either.

It's a dead on arrival I reckon.

And some parts were missing too.

Not impressed by Fanatec, especially that their replies take days to come through. I'll ring Germany tonight I guess. I'm considering returning the whole lot of gear and just getting a logitech G29. At least it will work.
Good luck dealing with their support division. I’m in same boat and have had a faulty Mclaren GT3 wheel delivered to me. I’ve been back and forth emailing with one of the support staff who this morning sent me an email saying that it can’t be replaced, it needs to be returned to them to their repairs division and if I’d like for him to open a repair case for me??? Oh, and they also need me to return the wheel base too which is working just fine with nub ps4 Wheel! WTF!!!

First of all, I paid full price for a BRAND NEW wheel which arrived faulty in the box to me!! I didn’t go scrounging around for a second unit nor did I pay a discounted price for a repaired or refurbished wheel!!!

I am so pissed at the moment and pretty much said so in my reply email. Just waiting back for a reply now. Why the hell should I have to accept getting it repaired when I’ve not even been able to use for 2mins and why the hell should I be inconvenienced and have to send back my perfectly good working base with the wheel?!’

I think I need to find their head office in Germany contact details and call them direct. So far this is not a very good experience.

Good luck dealing with their support division....

I think I need to find their head office in Germany contact details and call them direct. So far this is not a very good experience.

I know about the support people because some parts were missing, and their support was delayed and of no assistance. I have simply gone into dispute mode with Paypal, and I will ring Germany their work time. If its dead on arrival then that is just not good enough, but if it was retailed it would not be a problem, because you go to the retailer and they sort everything out. But dealing direct, it is quite difficult because they don't respond immediately, which I guess indicates that they have so many problems their support personnel cannot respond in a timely fashion.

Australian law though does have some power for me, and if they reject the return of their goods, I will just go to consumer law and I'll go to court. They'll then have costs awarded against them, which will hurt them. They'll have to get a local lawyer too, and since they are not locally based, they won't be able to get a lawyer to represent them. And if they did, that lawyer would cost them thousands. And they'd still loose. They cannot win in an Australian Court if the goods were faulty and the product was dead on arrival. I'll then get my costs for sure on top of my monies back, because they'd be dumb to arrange a lawyer. And not to pay me after a court order is a criminal offense and then the company would be in serious trouble. Meanwhile I'll be using a reliable product and enjoying my sim racing again.

IMO their quality is not good enough to sell direct. They need to sell via a local distributor, and perhaps to retail their product so that the retailer can handle any quality issues. That way the customer doesn't get frustrated, as you surely are. I am frustrated too ... I have no confidence that the product they may offer to send me will work either. If mine did pass a quality check, it means their quality assurance process is non functional. I want a result, immediately. But that doesn't look likely. Meanwhile I can go to lots of places and get a Thrustmaster or even a Logitech and if it doesn't work I can return straight away without any time wasting.

Direct marketing works if your quality is excellent. Fanatec's isn't.

I've also stopped my interest in the DD products, because it would be worse spending lots on something that will have quality issues. I saw the Elite as a stopgap to a DD product. This failure at least has relieved me of grief in buying a faulty DD wheel setup, and for the PS4 product, having to buy an F1 wheel, likely at a high total package cost. So the good news for me is that I can put Fanatec into the rubbish bin of high claims but broken promises.

I'll likely get a Drivehub and run the G27 and buy some quality pedals so that I get good braking, which is the key for speed I reckon. I might get the top Thrustmaster setup but I suspect that their brakes (pedals) are not worthwhile. The V3s look good but I no longer have confidence in Fanatec and if their support on a brand new product is bad, down the track it will be worse. And since the V3 pedals require a Fanatec product to work, then I can return the V3 pedals as they were part of the purchase.

I am also going to contact Sony too, as this is a product that is approved by them, and it doesn't work.

Last edited:
I rang Germany and their support people don't open until 2pm, they close at 4pm! So instead I selected the primary number 1 option, to speak with sales. But they didn't answer! I'll ring them at around 11PM Australian time which I think is 2pm for them. I'll see how I go then.

I contacted them via Support/FAQ -> Support: I do have a question about my... -> Chose my product - > Then followed the path until i could write my explanation & attach short video -> They contacted me couple days later around midnight.

Y
I contacted them via Support/FAQ -> Support: I do have a question about my... -> Chose my product - > Then followed the path until i could write my explanation & attach short video -> They contacted me couple days later around midnight.
es but how did they contact you? Bmvis email with broken English? That’s what I got. Did they actually help you and resolve your issue? I’m still waiting for them to respond to my email I sent this morning at 6.30am.

I know about the support people because some parts were missing, and their support was delayed and of no assistance. I have simply gone into dispute mode with Paypal, and I will ring Germany their work time. If its dead on arrival then that is just not good enough, but if it was retailed it would not be a problem, because you go to the retailer and they sort everything out. But dealing direct, it is quite difficult because they don't respond immediately, which I guess indicates that they have so many problems their support personnel cannot respond in a timely fashion.

Australian law though does have some power for me, and if they reject the return of their goods, I will just go to consumer law and I'll go to court. They'll then have costs awarded against them, which will hurt them. They'll have to get a local lawyer too, and since they are not locally based, they won't be able to get a lawyer to represent them. And if they did, that lawyer would cost them thousands. And they'd still loose. They cannot win in an Australian Court if the goods were faulty and the product was dead on arrival. I'll then get my costs for sure on top of my monies back, because they'd be dumb to arrange a lawyer. And not to pay me after a court order is a criminal offense and then the company would be in serious trouble. Meanwhile I'll be using a reliable product and enjoying my sim racing again.

IMO their quality is not good enough to sell direct. They need to sell via a local distributor, and perhaps to retail their product so that the retailer can handle any quality issues. That way the customer doesn't get frustrated, as you surely are. I am frustrated too ... I have no confidence that the product they may offer to send me will work either. If mine did pass a quality check, it means their quality assurance process is non functional. I want a result, immediately. But that doesn't look likely. Meanwhile I can go to lots of places and get a Thrustmaster or even a Logitech and if it doesn't work I can return straight away without any time wasting.

I've also stopped my interest in the DD products, because it would be worse spending lots on something that will have quality issues. I saw the Elite as a stopgap to a DD product. This failure at least has relieved me of grief in buying a faulty DD wheel setup, and for the PS4 product, having to buy an F1 wheel, likely at a high total package cost. So the good news for me is that I can put Fanatec into the rubbish bin of high claims but broken promises.

I'll likely get a Drivehub and run the G27 and buy some quality pedals so that I get good braking, which is the key for speed I reckon. I might get the top Thrustmaster setup but I suspect that their brakes (pedals) are not worthwhile. The V3s look good but I no longer have confidence in Fanatec and if their support on a brand new product is bad, down the track it will be worse. And since the V3 pedals require a Fanatec product to work, then I can return the V3 pedals as they were part of the purchase.

I am also going to contact Sony too, as this is a product that is approved by them, and it doesn't work.
It really is a shame because the product itself is very good compared what else is out there. My CSL Elite base and PS4 Wheel and CSL Elite LC pedals are awesome. Apparently the GT3 wheel is awesome too......if it works!! I had a tntustmaster T300 with T3PA pedals which I added a Loadcell to the brake pedal and F1 wheel. I just sold it all before my current setup. I thought my T300 was pretty good but after using the CSL I realised how notchy and unrefined it actually was compared to the CSL. It’s like night and day comparing the 2 systems. I’ve only had my CSL for a week and I’m finding it’s SO much easier and smoother for me to consistent for long extended periods which I couldn’t do with the T300. Looking back now, I realise how much on the edge I had to drive with the T300 to be competitive.

As you say, things would just be SO much easier if they actually had a shop front we could go too. Even if it was interstate it would still be better than fricken Germany!! At the VERY LEAST they should be forced to have a support team locally who you can actually speak directly with in our local business hours who can organise repairs and warranty replacements without having to ship things overseas and waste weeks and months and headaches for us paying customers.

I like you was thinking at the end of the year I will be building a PC and will probably get if the DD’s but after this experience now I’m thinking I need to start doing some fair dinkum research on other DD wheels. I don’t think I can hand over any more of my money to Fanatec in the hope that it ‘might’ work and then be crapping myself every time I use it that it might break down because I know there’s NO after sales support!

You should post this on the Fanatec FB page

es but how did they contact you? Bmvis email with broken English?

Emails in nutshell:

1st: Automatic confirmation that they've received my support contacting.

2nd, couple days later:

Support team informed that they have engaged an RMA to resolve my case promptly & inquiry will now be processed. -> Later more information about the further procedure.

3rd, total 5 days later (longer holiday weekend)

They sent prepaid UPS delivery label (pdf) attached to email. Reminded to check that adress and other account information are correct. Then just package it, print the pdf label in correct size and deliver to nearest UPS drop off location and done.

Next week my product was already heading back to Germany... Very fast, simple to follow & it was during holiday time.

Last edited:
Back