Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel Thread- officially licensed for PS4

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 2,901 comments
I can update the base firmware but can not update the wheel base motor firmware. I am using stock rim for csl elite ps4 btw. I can upload a screenshot later today if you think you can suggest something?
yes you can download. I'm generally at a loss why you can’t update the base motor

Hi @DomB_Fanatec . Just a quick question regarding driver updating seeing was mentioned above. Here's my issue:
The wheel is CSL Elite PS4. I've been experiencing intermittent "controller disconnected" issues for a couple months now (since around June actually)....was happening pretty frequently.
.......I've since replaced, approx 2 months now, the wheel's USB cable (has ferrite cores as recommended). That seemed to help as the disconnections became less and I could race for a longer period now....even for as long as 1-3 hours and at times with no disconnection at all but at other times it would still disconnect intermittently.

In addition to that about a month or so ago I got a "The Playstation/console is too hot....please shut done blah blah blah" error message on-screen prompt which then promptly automatically shut down the console. Following that I took the PS4 to a repair shop for a cleaning and also replaced the fan. That seemed to help also but still the intermittent disconnection issues as mentioned. At times I could hear the fan blowing at a rate. Perhaps it's normal I dunno. I was wondering if perhaps the wheel's disconnection issues....though less now, may partly be due to the PS4 console. Do you think that's a possibility? The PS4 is about 3-5 years old I think.

And about updating the driver. I think mine is v.311. Do you think, all things considered, updating the driver may resolve the intermittent disconnection issue or not?
Yes, USB disconnection issues could be related to the PC or console you are connecting to, but it could also be an issue with the wheel base. If possible, it would make sense to thoroughly test your wheel base on a different console or on a PC.

Driver/firmware updates are unlikely to fix USB connection issues, but there is no harm in trying a different driver package and updating the firmware when prompted.

In any case, I suggest that you contact our support team for advice.

I can update the base firmware but can not update the wheel base motor firmware. I am using stock rim for csl elite ps4 btw. I can upload a screenshot later today if you think you can suggest something?
I suggest that you contact our support team. While there are many knowledgable and helpful Fanatec users on this forum, this type of technical question is better answered by the manufacturer directly.

Yes, USB disconnection issues could be related to the PC or console you are connecting to, but it could also be an issue with the wheel base. If possible, it would make sense to thoroughly test your wheel base on a different console or on a PC.

Driver/firmware updates are unlikely to fix USB connection issues, but there is no harm in trying a different driver package and updating the firmware when prompted.

Thanks @DomB_Fanatec . Please know your replies and advice on the forum are greatly appreciated. Cheers.

yes you can download. I'm generally at a loss why you can’t update the base motor

I suggest that you contact our support team. While there are many knowledgable and helpful Fanatec users on this forum, this type of technical question is better answered by the manufacturer directly.

I have flashed the firmware from scratch and now I can see my motor firmware is 18... I couldn't reach the support, by the way, whenever I complete my question and proceed, the page refreshed leaving only my attachment in place... I think the new site needs more work..

I have flashed the firmware from scratch and now I can see my motor firmware is 18... I couldn't reach the support, by the way, whenever I complete my question and proceed, the page refreshed leaving only my attachment in place... I think the new site needs more work..
we will believe that everything will work out. And I was more pleasant than the old site.

if you give me mail I'll throw off the file version 22 of the motor

Hi @DomB_Fanatec
After 3 months of having the CSL Elite WB and CSL Elite Pedals with the Loadcell brake, i noticed my throttle has gone softer, like the resistance is not as hard as on the clutch. Is there anyway to fix it or make it harder? Second, the little sponge inbetween the bushings on the brake has gone really soft as well. Is there a replacement one or could you give me the specs so i can go to a hardware store and search for something similar?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Regarding this changes with last update:
- The deadzone for the throttle and brake pedals while driving using a Fanatec® steering wheel controller has been increased;
- The force feedback caused by understeering while driving using a Fanatec® steering wheel controller has been adjusted;

What are the changes that this issues produce (and we will feel)????

- Softer acceleration and braking?? Resulting on need to change braking points and aceleration pressure???

- Ratlling and vibration effect with bigger FEI values when understeering occurs, is reduced/softned or simply disapears???

- Ratlling and vibration effect with bigger FEI values when understeering occurs, is reduced/softned or simply disapears???
What comes to GTS - This might be the happiest news ever... Fingers crossed :dopey:
Hopefully it actually goes light during understeer.

Last edited:
My guess is some of the players may have "complained" about the wheel during the previous world event and that is what brought about these changes. Well at least they are working on things. Now it's time to put in some work and get used to them.

Keith.

Last edited:
Yes, indeed, from the fei parameter, in some games there is a roar effect of a broken suspension in bounce. I also noticed that on the firmware of motor 18 this effect can only be obtained with 80% or more, and on version 22 the developers made the fei parameter at 70% the same as on the 18 driver in 100%, sorry for so many letters

@Melbourne Park....If we were to support the Mac, it would be done with proper Mac drivers.
Would you guys please release required driver/firmware updates for us Mac users to be able to update such, not really for using the wheel on a Mac per se but in order to update the driver/firmware following which for use on respective console. This is long overdue IMO. There are quite a few of us customers of your product who don't have access to a Windows PC just in order to update the driver and firmware.

Last edited:
Would you guys please release required driver/firmware updates for us Mac users to be able to update such, not really for using the wheel on a Mac per se but in order to update the driver/firmware following which for use on respective console. This is long overdue IMO. There are quite a few of us customers of your product who don't have access to a Windows PC just in order to update the driver and firmware.
Perhaps you want to install bootcamp on your mac? very easy to do and get the job done

Perhaps you want to install bootcamp on your mac? very easy to do and get the job done
Previously about 2 months ago, in an effort to try and get in done myself via my Mac I installed VMware Fusion Pro (which is supposed to be better than Bootcamp according to feedback). The installation of VMware Fusion Pro installed quite easily. Following which I had to install Windows OS (ISO) for it (I had bought a legit key on Ebay). The thing is after the Windows OS installation I ran into some problems after firing up the VM as it was encountering some problems in finding the Windows OS or whatever....so I was them stumped unable to continue. So frustrating. So I haven't been able to do any driver/firmware updates since.
I wish they would simply release compatible driver/firmware updates for us to be able to do the updates via the Mac and call that George.

Previously about 2 months ago, in an effort to try and get in done myself via my Mac I installed VMware Fusion Pro (which is supposed to be better than Bootcamp according to feedback). The installation of VMware Fusion Pro installed quite easily. Following which I had to install Windows OS (ISO) for it (I had bought a legit key on Ebay). The thing is after the Windows OS installation I ran into some problems after firing up the VM as it was encountering some problems in finding the Windows OS or whatever....so I was them stumped unable to continue. So frustrating. So I haven't been able to do any driver/firmware updates since.
I wish they would simply release compatible driver/firmware updates for us to be able to do the updates via the Mac and call that George.
I don't know if this will help but I used this https://twocanoes.com/using-larger-windows-10-isos-with-boot-camp-assistant/ for bootcamp and install windows 10 FREE edition on my macbook and works flawlessly. Cheers!

Hi @DomB_Fanatec . Just a quick question regarding driver updating seeing was mentioned above. Here's my issue:
The wheel is CSL Elite PS4. I've been experiencing intermittent "controller disconnected" issues for a couple months now (since around June actually)....was happening pretty frequently.
.......I've since replaced, approx 2 months now, the wheel's USB cable (has ferrite cores as recommended). That seemed to help as the disconnections became less and I could race for a longer period now....even for as long as 1-3 hours and at times with no disconnection at all but at other times it would still disconnect intermittently.

In addition to that about a month or so ago I got a "The Playstation/console is too hot....please shut done blah blah blah" error message on-screen prompt which then promptly automatically shut down the console. Following that I took the PS4 to a repair shop for a cleaning and also replaced the fan. That seemed to help also but still the intermittent disconnection issues as mentioned. At times I could hear the fan blowing at a rate. Perhaps it's normal I dunno. I was wondering if perhaps the wheel's disconnection issues....though less now, may partly be due to the PS4 console. Do you think that's a possibility? The PS4 is about 3-5 years old I think.

And about updating the driver. I think mine is v.311. Do you think, all things considered, updating the driver may resolve the intermittent disconnection issue or not?

Do you use usb hub on your console? if yes maybe that could cause the problem I had experience when I used mine and the FANATEC V3 pedal motor rumble doesn't works. I think because I didn't plug the pedals directly to the console usb...well I might be wrong hope this is helpful.

I don't know if this will help but I used this https://twocanoes.com/using-larger-windows-10-isos-with-boot-camp-assistant/ for bootcamp and install windows 10 FREE edition on my macbook and works flawlessly. Cheers!
Thanks for that. I'll check it out.
Do you use usb hub on your console? if yes maybe that could cause the problem I had experience when I used mine and the FANATEC V3 pedal motor rumble doesn't works. I think because I didn't plug the pedals directly to the console usb...well I might be wrong hope this is helpful.
Yes I do have to use a USB hub for the console due to the limited available hubs the PS4 comes with. Had to since I had one or two other devices to plug in.....An external expansion drive for games storage (this had to be plugged directly to one of the PS4 hubs), a wireless base station for headphones, the USB for the Fanatec wheel base and I think a connection for the Buttkicker amp when I use it.
The disconnections mentioned earlier I think has been resolved. I think it had to do with the PS4 fan needing replacing which I've since done including the thermal paste had dried up. Also a low internet upload speed at times experienced intermittently from the service provider may have contributed also.

Anyone familiar with cleaning CSL Elite pedals or similar? From time to time my brakes (and perhaps accelerator) are sticking...I guess from residue build up inside by where the potentiometer is housed. It's frustrating as I can't race at my full potential when it happens as you can imagine. What I've done so far is....without unmounting or disassembling to get inside....I spray some electrical contact cleaner through the top front opening by where I see the potentiometer, put the nozzle by the potentiometer where it looks like a hole and spray some contact cleaner on it. This seems to free it up for a while but I find not too long after some use (maybe some days to a week to a month) I have to repeat the process. Maybe it is with the spray some residue is dislodged but remains in the housing as I don't see the residue coming out from under the pedal housing itself...maybe because the bottom is covered.

Am I cleaning the pedals including potentiometer adequately or should I remove the bottom cover, remove the potentiometer to better clean it and the plastic gears etc or what? And if so how do I do it properly and safely? I've searched high and low on Google and Youtube but haven't found much success for a good tutorial (preferable a video tutorial....in english) on how to do it.
If anyone can assist including @DomB_Fanatec and/or point me to a Youtube vid tutorial it would be greatly appreciated.

Am I cleaning the pedals including potentiometer adequately or should I remove the bottom cover, remove the potentiometer to better clean it and the plastic gears etc or what?
I did this, but without cleaning, i only adjusted the plastic gear... Moved the starting point until it stopped dragging.

Hi guys, wanted to go through some of the older GT titles. I tried to use my CSL-Elite + V3 Pedals in GT5 on PS3 but can´t get it work.
I use the purple compatibility mode and I can navigate in the menu with this. But when I enter a track non of my buttons works (apart from the options button) and steering and pedals also don´t.
Anyone knows how to configure this? I´ve read somewhere the wheel would work with using G25 or G27 settings.

Hi guys, wanted to go through some of the older GT titles. I tried to use my CSL-Elite + V3 Pedals in GT5 on PS3 but can´t get it work.
I use the purple compatibility mode and I can navigate in the menu with this. But when I enter a track non of my buttons works (apart from the options button) and steering and pedals also don´t.
Anyone knows how to configure this? I´ve read somewhere the wheel would work with using G25 or G27 settings.
There´s and adittional mode... (yellow) that you may use tooo... discover on the Manual how to set it.. and try it.. it may be a solution.. (dont know cause I dont have the Ps3..)

I reverted back to 293 / 335 firmware to test Assetto on PS4; but i was dissapointed how light, yet dampened the FFB was. All cars felt super floaty, near impossible to drive.
Kind of felt like all stronger forces are now gapped/limited to a certain range (max. strength) -> Large box-/sausage curbs barely gave more impact than an average rumble strip or track edge.

I gradually increased FEI up to 40, but using more than that will cause constant engine rumble, or jarring feeling which made the P1 rim vibrate like a DS4 controller... Same results when increasing Road-/Kerb Effects <- More activity in the base, but forces remain limited over bumps.
Why is that? Has anyone else tried AC recently?

Used Fanatec's recommenended settings:

75%/0%/0%
DRI -3
, although i started with -1
FEI 70 (40)

Fanatec reconmended settings...suck... on all the settings they recommend to all the games on their list...

@davidt33 I suggest that you contact Fanatec support for specific advice on pedal maintenance.

@Mirror_man Could you elaborate? It would be useful if you could provide an example of what you consider to be better settings (ideally at least one set of Tuning Menu settings and in-game settings for a specific wheel base and game).

u
I reverted back to 293 / 335 firmware to test Assetto on PS4; but i was dissapointed how light, yet dampened the FFB was. All cars felt super floaty, near impossible to drive.
Kind of felt like all stronger forces are now gapped/limited to a certain range (max. strength) -> Large box-/sausage curbs barely gave more impact than an average rumble strip or track edge.

I gradually increased FEI up to 40, but using more than that will cause constant engine rumble, or jarring feeling which made the P1 rim vibrate like a DS4 controller... Same results when increasing Road-/Kerb Effects <- More activity in the base, but forces remain limited over bumps.
Why is that? Has anyone else tried AC recently?

Used Fanatec's recommenended settings:

75%/0%/0%
DRI -3
, although i started with -1
FEI 70 (40

Try these:

SEN AUTO

FF 100

SHO 100

ABS 100

DRI OFF

FOR 120

SPR OFF

DPR OFF

BRF 70

FEI 40

@davidt33 I suggest that you contact Fanatec support for specific advice on pedal maintenance.
I'll try and contact them tomorrow @DomB_Fanatec . Is their on-line chat back on as yet?

UPDATE: Well I didn't get anywhere on that. On the website I clicked on the Support or Contact menu tab...Technical Support etc, but nowhere could I see available anything for on-line chat. When I selected my wheel and clicked on Next only the product page or similar opened.

Additionally, the only person I know in my country...this is in the Caribbean (and he's approx 45-60mins from me) who is familiar with Fanatec products etc (though it's a CS wheel he has, and for PC) is very busy and can't see me right now. I'd hoped to take the wheel and base to him to update the driver/firmware and also to give some better insights into cleaning of the pedals and shed light on whatever else may be happening. So so much for that. Woe is me.
At this point I'm kinda disillusioned with the Fanatec product I have to confess.

Last edited:
Back