Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel Thread- officially licensed for PS4

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 2,901 comments
Has anyone had experience using their CSL Elite plugged into a USB hub, which is then plugged into their PS4?

I recently started using an external hard drive with my PS4, which is great, however, that only leaves one USB slot for my CSL Elite, headset, charging controllers, etc. I’d like to be able to use my wheel and headset at the same time. I’ve also read the external hard drive has to be plugged directly into the PS4, and not through a hub. I wasn’t sure if a wheel would be the same.

Has anyone had experience using their CSL Elite plugged into a USB hub, which is then plugged into their PS4?

I recently started using an external hard drive with my PS4, which is great, however, that only leaves one USB slot for my CSL Elite, headset, charging controllers, etc. I’d like to be able to use my wheel and headset at the same time. I’ve also read the external hard drive has to be plugged directly into the PS4, and not through a hub. I wasn’t sure if a wheel would be the same.
I'm in the same boat as you....With PS4: External expansion storage drive, CSL Elite, Wireless headphones with base station, plus ButtKicker amp....all of which need to be plugged in via USB....and unfortunately the PS4 just has too little available USB ports (two I think which are to the front). So I've had no choice but to have a USB hub with extra ports into which to connect USB cables.

#1: Yes the external expansion storage drive MUST be plugged in to one of the USB posts of the PS4 directly. No ifs or buts about that.
So with that done I have the USB hub plugged into the only next available USB port of the PS4. This then allows for the other USB connections including the CSL Elite wheel USB cable, wireless headphone's base station and whatever else. It's how it's gotta be all things considered.
As for the CSL Elite they recommend to plug in the USB directly to the PS4 but that's not an option for us.

I really don't know why Sony decided to have the PS4 with such a limited supply of USB ports which was a retrograde step IMO. Keeping fingers crossed they have more USB posts available for the PS5.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you....With PS4: External expansion storage drive, CSL Elite, Wireless headphones with base station, plus ButtKicker amp....all of which need to be plugged in via USB....and unfortunately the PS4 just has too little available USB ports (two I think which are to the front). So I've had no choice but to have a USB hub with extra ports into which to connect USB cables.

#1: Yes the external expansion storage drive MUST be plugged in to one of the USB posts of the PS4 directly. No ifs or buts about that.
So with that done I have the USB hub plugged into the only next available USB port of the PS4. This then allows for the other USB connections including the CSL Elite wheel USB cable, wireless headphone's base station and whatever else. It's how it's gotta be all things considered.
As for the CSL Elite they recommend to plug in the USB directly to the PS4 but that's not an option for us.

I really don't know why Sony decided to have the PS4 with such a limited supply of USB ports which was a retrograde step IMO. Keeping fingers crossed they have more USB posts available for the PS5.

Thank you for the response. I assume your CSL Elite hasn’t had any issues being plugged into a USB hub rather than direct into the PS4? Is it a powered USB hub (has its own power supply)?
Yes 2 USB ports are not nearly enough. The Pro has 3, I can only imagine (hope) the PS5 will have more than that.

Thank you for the response. I assume your CSL Elite hasn’t had any issues being plugged into a USB hub rather than direct into the PS4? Is it a powered USB hub (has its own power supply)?
Yes 2 USB ports are not nearly enough. The Pro has 3, I can only imagine (hope) the PS5 will have more than that.
Just a little history to answer your question. I bought the CSL Elite at the end of November 2018. Following that I had to buy a USP hub in order to plug in other peripherals. Everything worked fine for about 6 months straight. But then by the 7th month in June 2019 I began to experience intermittent wheel disconnection issues. I didn't know what the heck was causing it. I then bought another USB hub. The problem continued intermittently and sometime later around September a PS4 overheating issue (a pop up message saying "PS4 too hot....shut down etc". The PS4 automatically shut down). Power back on again after a while and overheat again and so it continued. So I then took it to a repair guy who cleaned the inside, changed the internal fan and applied fresh thermal paste (I had never cleaned it prior to that). That seemed to help. But I still got intermittent disconnections though less frequently.

I'm not too sure but I suspect my problems could be partly because the PS4 itself needs replacing (I find the fan gets very loud most times as though overworking, especially with Project Cars 2)...or perhaps also the CSL Elite needs the driver/firmware updating (I still only have version 311 driver since I don't have a PC in order to do the updating but a Mac which you can't do it through...Bummer for Fanatec not having a Mac compatible driver in order to update via).

So I'm still experiencing some intermittent issues including a few times while playing Pcars 2 online, while in Pits the screen suddenly switched to the "Invite" screen without my so doing. All very frustrating when it happens. In addition to that brakes and accelerator sticking. I've been cleaning the pedals (potentiometers etc) since and just recently opened up the accelerator pedal and realised the plastic gear next to the potentiometer was worn or damaged where it made contact with the corresponding aluminium gear. I rotated the plastic gear a bit to where it seemed there was no wear and put it back in. That seems to help as the sticking there for now is gone. So I'm presently still working out stuff through a process of elimination. Soon as I get a chance I intend to take the wheel by somebody with a Windows PC to do the driver/firmware update. Also I would like to order new potentiometers (for both gas and brakes) from Fanatec. We'll see how things go as tackling things bit by bit.

But coming back to the question of whether or not issues with the USB hub with wheel or whatever plugged into it I'm kinda thinking no that is not an or the issue.
My USB hub is not powered USB hub with a powered supply. It's a USB to USB one so it gets its power supply from the PS4. But I guess having its own power supply is not a bad thing.

I thought you were able to use bootloader on a Mac to install the firmware?
Yes but I'm not familiar with that. I installed VMware Fusion (this installed fine) for doing it and also installed Windows 10 for it but I think something went wrong with the Windows installing part so I'm hoping a Mac tech guy would be able to sort that installation out for me soon in the New Year.

Yes but I'm not familiar with that. I installed VMware Fusion (this installed fine) for doing it and also installed Windows 10 for it but I think something went wrong with the Windows installing part so I'm hoping a Mac tech guy would be able to sort that installation out for me soon in the New Year.

UPDATE: Good news. Well as planned from my last post of 31 Dec, the following week I took my Mac to my Mac tech people and we were able to properly install Windows 10 OS on the already installed virtual machine. So now that that was taken care of, when I went home I downloaded the latest Fanatec driver via the Windows VM and updated the driver/firmware. So now at least I know my CSL Elite PS4 has the latest version installed and good to know I can do it now for myself and don't have to beg or rely on anybody else which was quite a hassle.

The only thing is I'm still getting intermittent disconnections "Controller Disconnected". This mainly happens during online racing while on track or even in Pits or otherwise before race start. Still very frustrating when it happens as you can imagine.

As quick as advertised. I had the F1 Esports now the F1 V2 (near straight swap cost wise for me fortunately) and have the McLaren which now comes with the quick release adaptor as well as the original as part of the wheel package. All work perfectly and you can swap wheels in less than 10 seconds.

CJ

I know this is an old post, but I can’t find many references to the difference between the CSL Elite P1 Wheel & the Esports F1 Wheel.

Obviously the shape’s different, button layouts, etc - but I’d appreciate any thoughts from someone who’s used both and if there’s any major reason to get the Esports wheel.

I’ve currently got a CSR-Elite Wheel and a T500RS, and not sure what it’ll be like moving from round wheels to F1-style. I only use PS4 & play GT Sport 95% of the time...

There’s a bundle for the CSL Elite+ base & P1 Wheel, and another bundle for the CSL Elite+ base & pedals & Esports Wheel, so the bundling helps remove some of the price difference..

Hi @DomB_Fanatec
After 3 months of having the CSL Elite WB and CSL Elite Pedals with the Loadcell brake, i noticed my throttle has gone softer, like the resistance is not as hard as on the clutch. Is there anyway to fix it or make it harder? Second, the little sponge inbetween the bushings on the brake has gone really soft as well. Is there a replacement one or could you give me the specs so i can go to a hardware store and search for something similar?

Thanks in advance

Can you swap the clutch and accelerator pedal with each other maybe?

Today arrived BBJ replacement damper set for Fanatec CSL Elite pedals. What is that brown gel? How to use it?

Attachments

• 20200212_135736.jpg
    20200212_135736.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 29
Couple months ago i launched F1 2014 Ps3 via PS Now application and i couldn't get it to work on purple mode either...
But just recently i realized that the game doesn't even support G29 or T300RS - So i believe there's a small possibility that GT5/6 could work via PS Now; if they decide to add either game in the future.

Currently there are no other PS3 driving games for testing... 👎

Use a Drivehub...

It wouldn't be needed then.

I know that thsi wheel also may be set in yellow mode, CSW compatible... ((more or less like you set it on purple mode... pressing more time ) but I dont know either if it will work with a Ps3...

I haven’t gone through the thread. But I’m wondering the likely hood that the CSL Elite will be compatible with PS5

Back