Fanatec CSW/CSR Elite Modders Thread *UPDATE February 2014*

• Thread starter eKretz
  • 3,600 comments
The motors you installed are not correct. They are really fast because they're running twice the speed they would at 12V since the wheel runs the motors at 24V. That means they are also trying to draw twice the current they would at 12V. Excess current draw pulls the voltage down and shuts the wheel off because the power supply can't keep up. (Your link says your motor stall current= 11.8 amps @ 12VDC. At 24VDC, the stall current for both of those motors would be an astronomical 47.2 amps! Stock power supply is good for about 5 amps @24VDC. You need a motor that stalls at 3 amps or less at 24VDC if you want to use the stock power supply).

Wow thanks guys @eKretz @Phlano099 for the detailed concise replies its a lot clearer now what motors I need, I think I spent so long looking and got a bit confused as to what I required, but it seems the original motors are pretty much unavailable now, but as luck would have it there was 2 Used QK1-1500's on eBay which I've snapped up, hoping to get the wheel back up and running thank you again :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have seen a few entries in this thread regarding the CSR wheel so I would like to ask for help in here.

The motor of my Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 wheel seems to have died (notchy feel) and the wheel seems to be technically identical to the CSR wheel apart from the wheel rim.

Fanatec does not have any motors left so I tried my luck finding one myself.
I happily received an order today which should have been the Mabuchi RS-555PH-22130 according to the product pictures, but turned out to be the RS-555PH-18150.

Has anyone ever tried to use this motor in the CSR or Porsche 911 GT3 / GT2 wheel?
From what I could find the wire in this motor is thinner but has more turns. Can I just try and see what happens or do I risk damaging the wheel even more?

I have also read about the QK1-1500 motor several times, but this motor does not seem to have the dual output shafts that are required for this wheel. Has anyone found a solution using this motor?
According to this post there should have been a Buehler motor that is compatible, but I also could not find anything.

Is there any other motor that may fit the wheel?

Thank you and best regards
deguezli

Hello, Guys
need some info:)
I want to mod my CSR Elite or CSW with Buhler motors from T500RS, I saw that the eKretz mod is with similar Buhlers. Used ones in his mod are slightly smaller and slightly weaker if I understood correct. I will use T500RS Buhler motors, because I have it already.
So, beside the hardware work for installing these 2 motors on the motor bracket and mount those pulleys on the motors shafts -Do I need to do something extra to achieve working wheel. For cooling will test some solutions. For PSU I plan to use the one from CSW 2.5 which is 7.5 Amps and maybe will be sufficient and if not will llower the FFB to 80% for example;)
I read alot in the thread and I continue to read - I dont want chewed food... but will be happy to hear you guys!:)

EDIT:
Also I need to see close up exactly how is the wiring from motors to the PCB made!:)

Last edited:
Sadly, this thread is dead!
Might have better luck contacting @eKretz directly, he is the mastermind behind this thread, his vast knowledge on this subject is amazing and he his also a very nice and helpful fellow. Good luck.
BTW, I have not been getting new post notifications at all for some reason, so if anyone needs to reach me, send a PM, I do get those notifications.

Hi. If the csl ps4 edition has the same motor and electonics as the csw 2.5, then why does it have 2nm less ffb strength?
Is it because of the gearing?
Or is the power just turned down on purpose for marketing reasons?

If so, can you buy a csl elite ps4 and mod it to output CSW2.5 ffb strength (or mabye even more?) Without swapping the motor out?
Thanks!

could you 3d print some gears and get the higher torque?
If you look at the photo you will see that there is not enough space in the box to fit bigger gear wheel on the steering shaft.

big gear wheel.png

If you try to put a small gear wheel on the motor you may have a problem with the reliability of the belt because it will hold a smaller number of teeth.

Last edited:
Does that mean the CSW is a lot slower then?
could you 3d print some gears and get the higher torque?
You will have number of challenges to solve - almost the same as Fanatec did in the development process:) But they have a budget for that... I also love to mod things, btw!;)

Hello. They brought me a Fanatec GT2 disassembled. Assembled it, but the connectors are not marked. Maybe someone will draw a diagram of how to connect them. Attached a screenshot.
Screenshot_2020-02-12-09-16-19.png

Last edited:
Hello. They brought me a Fanatec GT2 disassembled. Assembled it, but the connectors are not marked. Maybe someone will draw a diagram of how to connect them. Attached a screenshot.View attachment 890233
Start to assembly and you will see that every plug kinda helps where it is by the lenght of the wires...also alot plugs are different so it will be very hard to do mistake!

Now you see too many plugs needed to be plug in and feel confused...it is not so scary;) Bolt the PCB on wheel bottom and examine!:)

Start to assembly and you will see that every plug kinda helps where it is by the lenght of the wires...also alot plugs are different so it will be very hard to do mistake!

plugs 1,2,3,4,5,14 in length are suitable for connection to all specified connectors

I'm afraid to connect the power cable to the wrong connector and kill the board

plugs 1,2,3,4,5,14 in length are suitable for connection to all specified connectors

I'm afraid to connect the power cable to the wrong connector and kill the board
Not exact sure, did that long time ago, but I think power plug male and female had some red marking on it?!?!

Try to read on the PCB - around some plugs you have the name for its purpose...Fir example on 14 I see switch! This must be on/off knob...

I take a picture later, but they all look the same white, just a set of wires, and the boards came. they are not connected

This helps a bit:

I have some wheels from that era...if I dig some -will show their connections....nothing rocket science, but I agree better measure 100 times and plug once if you are not confident!:)

I figured out the connection of the connectors. Or maybe not. What are some strange problems, maybe something is wrong connected?

Check again connections..it can be everything - you didint saw this wheel working ...not sure for using GT3RS rim with its PCB on Xbox wheel...cant remember it was possible or gave some errors,,,

GT3 rim, GT2 board. I also have the GT2 rim itself, it looks awful

PS. enters the flashing mode .. but the PC does not see the connected steering wheel (but should it see until the steering wheel has performed self-calibration?)

20200213_075543.jpg

Last edited:
I did not change the board, I changed the rim. If the rim board is not connected, it is also strange calibrated
If you dont change the main PCB board - why all plugs was disconected??? When you change the rim - only the rim wires with one plug need to be disconected!

If you dont change the main PCB board - why all plugs was disconected???

I was sent a constructor from parts, everything was divided

I bought a rim in good condition, as the original was terrible, and began to connect

Hi,

I have a CSR elite that I bought used from a friend that I have been using for about a year now. I decided to pull the trigger on a accuforce v2 pro. I have both the standard CSR elite wheel and a formula wheel, and while I won't have a need for the standard wheel, it would be nice to adapt the formula wheel to the new setup. I've searched this forum and elsewhere for information on converting the wheel to standalone usb use, but haven't found anything. Leo Bodnar sells a kit for the newer fanatec wheels, but not older ones like this. Does anyone here know anything about this type of conversion, or perhaps a pinout diagram of the wheel's connectors?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

I have a CSR elite that I bought used from a friend that I have been using for about a year now. I decided to pull the trigger on a accuforce v2 pro. I have both the standard CSR elite wheel and a formula wheel, and while I won't have a need for the standard wheel, it would be nice to adapt the formula wheel to the new setup. I've searched this forum and elsewhere for information on converting the wheel to standalone usb use, but haven't found anything. Leo Bodnar sells a kit for the newer fanatec wheels, but not older ones like this. Does anyone here know anything about this type of conversion, or perhaps a pinout diagram of the wheel's connectors?

Thanks,

Mike

I vaguely remember someone converting a csr elite to csw and saying that the wheels werent compatible, so im not sure. Good luck finding pinouts for a CRSe, I been looking for even a picture for ages on and off now, after an accident with the wiring between the wheel and the base! Have since got a V2 but would like to fix the csre for my daughter.

Just had a look at the CSRE rim, could an arduino be used? not sure about display(Im an arduino noob), but the buttons should be quite easy.

Back