Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Extreme Wheel

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 903 comments
A plastic wheel connected by a plastic quick-release to a 15Nm base sounds just about par for the course for Fanatec (as the owner of a high-powered base I can't see how that combination is supposed to work.)

After marketing (they sugar daddy virtually any >1k subs sim-racing Youtuber in return for "honest" and "independent" reviews) and screwing their costumers, bad engineering/manufacturing decisions is the thing they do best.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wheel or QR breaks even before the pedal port comes loose (it's seemingly still only a couple of tiny solder blobs that keeps the ports in place, which isn't what you want if you're looking for longevity).

Edit: @Jump_Ace: they claim they aren't allowed to sell the rim alone.

Last edited:
A plastic wheel connected by a plastic quick-release to a 15Nm base sounds just about par for the course for Fanatec (as the owner of a high-powered base I can't see how that combination is supposed to work.)

After marketing (they sugar daddy virtually any >1k subs sim-racing Youtuber in return for "honest" and "independent" reviews) and screwing their costumers, bad engineering/manufacturing decisions is the thing they do best.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wheel or QR breaks even before the pedal port comes loose (it's seemingly still only a couple of tiny solder blobs that keeps the ports in place, which isn't what you want if you're looking for longevity).
I think the QR2 Lite is up to the task, but it honestly seems like a pretty crappy move from Fanatec not to include a normal QR2. ESPECIALLY when we saw what their profit margins on them are, from those of us who ordered them on launch - and when they went on sale around Christmas time (which I’m guessing the prices of the latter didn’t give them a whole lot of PM).

I’m very vested in the Fanatec ecosystem so I’m not going anywhere as a customer, and I’ve for the most part been very pleased by their customer service - but still, feels like a slimy move on their part. Especially on their website, how they specifically state that only a metal QR2 is acceptable for their DD1 base (which has specs of 20nm and something like 15-17nm holding torque…I forget). And when Fanatec was previewing their DD+ bases a few months ago, they specifically said that it’s directly comparable to the DD1 because the max 15nm torque, is what you get across the board.

…Not to mention, the reported increased slew rate, will increase the amount of torsional stress that any QR would experience, since said torque values are happening at an increased rate

Last edited:
Oh yeah that QR2 wheel-side I was talking about was for the GT DD Pro before the GT DD X came out. I already assumed I could never install the X wheel on the DD Pro or any other base or the Pro wheel on the X base or anything like that. But they make other wheels that are compatible with both bases that I might get in the future.
qr2 gt dd pro wheel side.jpg

Last edited:
I am honestly surprised how little love the Logitech GPro series seems to get. It comes with 11 Nm of torque (which, as I understand it the DD Pro comes with 4 Nm unless you pay for the upgrade kit for 8 Nm, still short of the Logi). I run mine at 7 Nm, so I'd have had to pay for the upgrade from Fanatec but the Logi is already there.

This new wheel from Fanatec looks pretty nice for sure, and it's definitely priced to match. For those who buy one, I just hope you get it before Q3 of this year. I really do. But it's unfortunate as that doesn't seem like the current state of affairs over there. When I bought my Logi Pro wheel, it traveled 2,500 miles (4,000 km) and was at my doorstep in two days.

Now if you're a big Fanatec fan, don't get your feathers in a bunch... all I am saying is if anyone is looking for a direct drive wheel don't look past the Logitech series.
Ditto, the reviews barely mention the existence of the Logitech G Pro. It’s available now and the Trueforce works very well and is supported in many titles, including GT7.

Now I know its not the exact same thing, but it does remind me of when Mac dropped 32 bit apps. The whole world apparently melted. I think this is a turning point for Fanatec and their product lines and while maybe compatibility with older hardware could be done via firmware, MAYBE. You wouldn't get any of the features to just drop in-place, so I'm not surprised at all, I get it.

I did decide to reach out to their sales support yesterday and see if I can swap my DD+ order for a DD X instead and pay the difference since my wheel hasn't shipped yet. We'll see what they say, if nothing else, I'll just return the + and buy the X I guess. The more I see that display at work, the more I want it :lol:

Jerome
Can't you just cancel your current order if it hasn't shipped? Or did they already take your money and say no cancellations? I can't imagine that is the case, but if it is that's bullstuff and I'd be on the phone with my credit card company.

Last edited:
I placed an order for the Extreme on Saturday. I have a DD Pro that is less than 3 months old and I’ve been very happy with it. I got the CSL Elite V2 pedals on BF so I’ll either sell the DD Pro complete with the original pedals or use it as a second rig since I already upgraded that to QR2 and all my wheels (5 at the moment, not including the DD Pro wheel) will be interchangeable between the two. This is why I’m so glad I went with Fanatec over Logitech.

IMG_9465.jpeg

I was actually considering this despite the crazy cost, but I found out it comes with plastic ”QR2 lite” that actually only supports 8 Nm, yet the included DD+ base on their website comes with real QR2. I don’t know much about these, but doesn’t seem right. If I put almost 2000€ to just wheel and pedals I want no such compromises.

And what about the pedals? The best ones seem to be almost 10 years old already. Those are full price also, no discount on set, and shipping is over 60€. I would say non-free shipping is very unusual. Will get Logitech if anything then.
And on top no real leather. Just fake vegan. 🌱😂

BWX
LOL randomly I ordered a QR2 base-side for my GT DD Pro just because it was $20 one day LOL. Just a nice thing to have on the shelf just in case I ever got a wheel that required it and still had the base. I'll probably sell it or maybe keep my entire GT DD Pro setup as a backup DD wheel. "Two is one, and one is none" as the saying goes!
Yeah, the base side price was almost too good to pass up - crazy cheap... I had wheel side ordered as well thought so I would have been upset if I hadn't discovered the DD Extreme was coming and not cancelled. I really feel for anyone who ordered the DD+ when, had they known it was coming, they would have waited for the DD Extreme.

Welp.. ive had some issues with my dd pro recently. It seems to have straightened up, but i don’t trust it. Anyway, i ordered the dd extreme purely to jump ahead of the dd+ availability date. Placed it friday morning 9am east coast us. Orders still open. In a perfect world it arrives in time to take a crack at the glorious Race C this week. Who knows though.

Welp.. ive had some issues with my dd pro recently. It seems to have straightened up, but i don’t trust it. Anyway, i ordered the dd extreme purely to jump ahead of the dd+ availability date. Placed it friday morning 9am east coast us. Orders still open. In a perfect world it arrives in time to take a crack at the glorious Race C this week. Who knows though.
I check my order probably 15 or 20 times a day. I checked it a little while ago and it showed in progress. Read your post, and went back and checked again. It's now been handed over to warehouse, so it will be coming soon. I ordered it probably about a hour after you, as for some reason the only payment options I had were American Express and PayPal. I don't have AE, and my PayPal password was at home. Cancelled out my original DD+ order so I wouldn't have to wait until the 28th. If I don't like the wheel, I'll just throw it up on E-bay.

I check my order probably 15 or 20 times a day. I checked it a little while ago and it showed in progress. Read your post, and went back and checked again. It's now been handed over to warehouse, so it will be coming soon. I ordered it probably about a hour after you, as for some reason the only payment options I had were American Express and PayPal. I don't have AE, and my PayPal password was at home. Cancelled out my original DD+ order so I wouldn't have to wait until the 28th. If I don't like the wheel, I'll just throw it up on E-bay.
Just handed over to warehouse as well!!

Lol. Yep. 15-20 times a day sounds about right. Good to see Fanatec is starting to get it together.
🤞

Ours wasn't paid, nor would any other media outlet's be paid.

When FullForce is supported, we'll revisit.
Respectfully, my comment wasn't a shot at GTPlanet, SuperGT or any other content maker that I enjoy. To be fair, I thanked and showed appreciation for GTPlanets review when it dropped. I thought it was very well done and informative.

However (and please correct me if I'm wrong), content makers and large sites like IGN/Gamestop enjoy a level of access to developers, publishers and manufacturers. I've witnessed in the past that some of these entities will pull punches (not being brutally honest) to preserve that relationship and their level of access. From a business point of view, it makes absolute sense. But as a consumer, that isn't always in our favor.

As a non-gaming example, I enjoy watching car review content. Savagegeese doesn't receive press cars from auto manufactures because they will be completely honest about a car, whereas others do because they treat auto manufactures with kids gloves to retain their level of access. So while media outlets may not get paid monetarily, they are compensated in other ways.

I guess what I was trying to but ultimately failed to convey is that I'm going to wait for reviews/insight and a general consensus from regular people who ultimately have no connection to Fanatec or PD and weigh those opinions against the reviews of media outlets.

Last edited:
Just handed over to warehouse as well!!

Lol. Yep. 15-20 times a day sounds about right. Good to see Fanatec is starting to get it together.
🤞
Figured you would be getting yours soon. Now on to checking umpteen times a day for a tracking number. Can't wait to get hold of it, but mine will take a little while longer to get here, as I'll have FedEx hold it at a pickup point; scared to death I won't be here, and they send it back. Enjoy your DD+!

Figured you would be getting yours soon. Now on to checking umpteen times a day for a tracking number. Can't wait to get hold of it, but mine will take a little while longer to get here, as I'll have FedEx hold it at a pickup point; scared to death I won't be here, and they send it back. Enjoy your DD+!
You too!!

Hah. Yeah.. Fedex. Going to be camping them like a wild animal. Last couple deliveries i’ve had to chase them down in the neighborhood and be like…dude! And their like nah..and Im..yeah! (Waving the phone at them). They actually check and its there. Its nuts

Yeah, the base side price was almost too good to pass up - crazy cheap... I had wheel side ordered as well thought so I would have been upset if I hadn't discovered the DD Extreme was coming and not cancelled. I really feel for anyone who ordered the DD+ when, had they known it was coming, they would have waited for the DD Extreme.
Yeah I'd be a little irked. I saw this wheel a couple months ago on some random vid so I figured something was coming.

Mine's shipping.

--------------------
Dear Mr

The status of your order ************ placed on 10/02/2024 has changed.

Our warehouse is currently preparing your shipment. Once it has left our warehouse, your tracking number will be visible in your account in your order details.

Please note that no changes are possible at this stage.

Enjoy your new Fanatec product(s) and happy racing!

Kind Regards,

Team Fanatec
-------------------

Last edited:
BWX
Mine's shipping.
How exciting, I'm looking forward to hearing thoughts from the people of GTPlanet once they have theirs. Also hoping the next update will bring added compatibility including Full Force, and at minimum correct illumination and detailed display!

Mine says 'Availability date: Feb 26, 2024' so I need to try and forget about it for a while.... humm, like thats going to happen!

You know, being that this new rim has (2) new mappable axis on the paddles…and it’s an official GT wheel, I wonder if this could lead to us being able to use and tune them for standing starts as a dual clutch system, or if they’ll be mappable for other functions as well. I hope they don’t get lazy and just hard-code them for an alternate gas/brake or “look left/right”

Furthermore (and most importantly for me), I wonder if this might lead to PD finally enabling rotary encoder mapping for those of us that have them equipped on our wheels.

Their sales support couldn't do any magic for me by cancelling my DD+ order, so I'll just return it as soon as it arrives. I did ask for a refund in the latest reply with them, we'll see what they say. So I went ahead and ordered the DD X, I just gotta play with that screen in ACC. And those buttons for the in-game settings look handy, for ACC in addition to GT.

Jerome

You know, being that this new rim has (2) new mappable axis on the paddles…and it’s an official GT wheel, I wonder if this could lead to us being able to use and tune them for standing starts as a dual clutch system, or if they’ll be mappable for other functions as well. I hope they don’t get lazy and just hard-code them for an alternate gas/brake or “look left/right”

Furthermore (and most importantly for me), I wonder if this might lead to PD finally enabling rotary encoder mapping for those of us that have them equipped on our wheels.
Boosted media had a thing on it and..i think… yes to the clutch for starts and also a mode for throttle/brake mclaren style?

I have a 265mm and a 330mm so 300mm definitely fills a gap and will get used and ill keep you guys posted, of course.

The mappable clutch would be useful as an indicator in GT races if it could be assignable. I'm in a wait and see with this. I'd like to see what functionality if given to GT7 before I consider replacing my GT DD Pro set up (not that I am using that wheel anyway).

I doubt it. But I do wish Fanatec could come out with an official podium model, like the rally module, that is supported in GT7 so that we can select any wheel we want but still have an officially supported switch gear. This would be my wish-list:

1) rear mappable paddles to indicators (user selectable)
2) module - 3 rotaries: map, tcs, brake-bias - toggles for up/down would also work for this.
3) Backlit, color definable buttons with caps. Enough for:
  1. View
  2. Look back
  3. Horn
  4. Boost/Kers/Nitro
  5. Reverse
  6. Park
  7. Ghost
  8. Flash
4) Joystick
5) Funky switch

Basically I'm after a module that can replace my Formula 2.5X wheel but would work on any wheel.
IMG_7795.jpeg

Yes, I know some of my stickers are a little wonky but it works.

Last edited:
The mappable clutch would be useful as an indicator in GT races if it could be assignable. I'm in a wait and see with this. I'd like to see what functionality if given to GT7 before I consider replacing my GT DD Pro set up (not that I am using that wheel anyway).

I doubt it. But I do wish Fanatec could come out with an official podium model, like the rally module, that is supported in GT7 so that we can select any wheel we want but still have an officially supported switch gear. This would be my wish-list:

1) rear mappable paddles to indicators (user selectable)
2) module - 3 rotaries: map, tcs, brake-bias - toggles for up/down would also work for this.
3) Backlit, color definable buttons with caps. Enough for:
  1. View
  2. Look back
  3. Horn
  4. Boost/Kers/Nitro
  5. Reverse
  6. Park
  7. Ghost
  8. Flash
4) Joystick
5) Funky switch

Basically I'm after a module that can replace my Formula 2.5X wheel but would work on any wheel.
View attachment 1327752

Yes, I know some of my stickers are a little wonky but it works.

Information only:

PD does support the podium shifter module. Obviously the main paddles are used for shifting, but the smaller shark fin paddles are indicators. Currently it’s just the clutches that aren’t usable. Hopefully at a minimum, that will change

Last edited:
I think this is not the place to ask this kind of question but as it concerns the Fanatec Gt DD Pro and the Fanatec GT DD Extrême. I have a stand like this below that I've been playing with a G29 since GT6.
$_32.png

Do you think that a GT DD Pro of 5Nm or 8Nm would be suitable without the base moving? But I am very interested in the GT DD Pro Extreme. Only with constant 15Nm, will this no longer be suitable? Should I just limit myself to the GT DD Pro? Or if I take the GT DD Pro Extrême I have to change chassis, knowing that I don't have room for a large cockpit and that the best for me would be a folding cockpit? Thank you in advance for your advice and help.

I think this is not the place to ask this kind of question but as it concerns the Fanatec Gt DD Pro and the Fanatec GT DD Extrême. I have a stand like this below that I've been playing with a G29 since GT6.
View attachment 1327866
Do you think that a GT DD Pro of 5Nm or 8Nm would be suitable without the base moving? But I am very interested in the GT DD Pro Extreme. Only with constant 15Nm, will this no longer be suitable? Should I just limit myself to the GT DD Pro? Or if I take the GT DD Pro Extrême I have to change chassis, knowing that I don't have room for a large cockpit and that the best for me would be a folding cockpit? Thank you in advance for your advice and help.
I use a strengthened playseat challenge folding rig and it's about all it can handle with the 8nm DDPro. I'm waiting for the day when I break a tube or bracket. It may not happen and I may be fine but it's not ideal. It's ideal for me in my current situation but not ideal.

I have been curious about coffee table racing rigs. They look pretty excellent for a space constrained room.

Last edited:
Information only:

PD does support the podium shifter module. Obviously the main paddles are used for shifting, but the smaller shark fin paddles are indicators. Currently it’s just the clutches that aren’t usable. Hopefully at a minimum, that will change
Clutch paddles on both the P-APM and McLaren GT3 wheel do work in GT7 in Clutch/Handbrake mode and throttle/brake mode. On the McLaren wheel you can the select the mode using the center encoder, on my Porsche wheel with PBME I can select the mode via the tuning menu. Clutch works even on cars that are auto only

Last edited:
Clutch paddles on both the P-APM and McLaren GT3 wheel do work on GT7 in Clutch/Handbrake mode and throttle/brake mode. On the McLaren wheel you can the select the mode using the center encoder, on my Porsche wheel with PBME I can select the mode via the tuning menu. Clutch works even on cars that are auto only
Awesome to know!! I gotta test this out

Back