Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
Agree, whilst I love my fanatec gear I really don't like the look of their side mount. I recently ordered the Simlab P1-X and their fanatec side mount solution, it looks really clean and tidy and has good adjustability built into it.

I had the P1 for over a year and love it, but I did order the P1-X upgrade kit for the new pedal deck and the side mounts, still waiting to see when I will get them along with the triple monitor stand

Last edited:
I had the P1 for over a year and love it, but I did order the P1-X upgrade kit for the new pedal deck and the side mounts, still waiting to see when I will get them along with the triple monitor stand
It may be a while, they are not taking new orders on the P1-X ATM as they are backed right up and looking to ship current orders before they take anymore

Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate it.

I think lowering both the damper and natural damper is the secret sauce for GT Sport. Having FEI high is also quite important. Funnily enough while fiddling with the settings last night i ended up with an almost identical setting as yourself @Pennzoil23. Except your overall FF. I must be a weakling, I can only handle 30 and below. But i think i like your overall settings more than the one i fell into. You know you're on to something when you look at the time, and the next time it's way past your bedtime haha.

So with these setting I'm finally feeling detail. My lap times were falling fast, and I'm being consistent. There is still more i feel i can improve in the ffb, (it could be just GT Sports lacking ffb effects though) but overall I'm much more happy with were I'm at now.

Now to try other games!

Good to see you are finding something you like. This is good advice but do keep in mind that real cars do actually have quite a lot that dampens the steering feel. That said it really is subjective and comes down to whatever you prefer, you don't have to strive for realism. And also that every car will feel and behave differently (as is the norm for any sim) so make sure to try your settings on a variety of cars, or make a few variants for the different categories of cars. If you find settings that work well in a Gr.3 car, they should work quite well in any Gr.3 or similar car, and so on. I hope Fanatec can do a firmware update at some point that allows us to name our settings. I would love to have names similar to the categories of car for the various setups.

Something else to keep in mind is don't change a bunch of settings at once, many of them can counteract each other. And some settings don't have nearly as large of an effect as others.

Good to see you are finding something you like. This is good advice but do keep in mind that real cars do actually have quite a lot that dampens the steering feel. That said it really is subjective and comes down to whatever you prefer, you don't have to strive for realism. And also that every car will feel and behave differently (as is the norm for any sim) so make sure to try your settings on a variety of cars, or make a few variants for the different categories of cars. If you find settings that work well in a Gr.3 car, they should work quite well in any Gr.3 or similar car, and so on. I hope Fanatec can do a firmware update at some point that allows us to name our settings. I would love to have names similar to the categories of car for the various setups.

Something else to keep in mind is don't change a bunch of settings at once, many of them can counteract each other. And some settings don't have nearly as large of an effect as others.

I understand that. I do tend to prefer a feedback loop that tells me what the car is doing. In a real setting you have g forces and seat of you pants feeling. Us simple sim races need a little more to help convey those forces.

But I had a go on assetto corsa the other night and that game conveys so much more feeling of what the car is doing. I can feel the squishy tyres and and boucy springs and weight transfer, loss of traction, oversteer etc.
The DD wheel feels phenominal. And that was me just going with the bog standard Fanatec recommended settings.

Again, F1 2018 feels like a complete different game with Fanatecs recommended settings. I'm in love with it. I feel like i don't even need to fiddle with any settings.

I guess i was just hoping for more feeling with my new wheel in GT Sport but it just seems like a limitation of GT Sport rather than the wheel.

We probably drive different type of cars (me: mostly open wheelers, f1), but it's interesting to note how subjective these things are. For me, GT gives much better FFB than AC. In Ac i have a problem with too much difference between high and low speed corners, such that if you adjust for one, it gets all wrong for the other.

We probably drive different type of cars (me: mostly open wheelers, f1), but it's interesting to note how subjective these things are. For me, GT gives much better FFB than AC. In Ac i have a problem with too much difference between high and low speed corners, such that if you adjust for one, it gets all wrong for the other.
Can't agree with any of that. I think you are just plain wrong.

Is AC on ps4 any good (heard that FFB is limited compared with the PC )? I can't get around in connecting my PC to the TV.

I understand that. I do tend to prefer a feedback loop that tells me what the car is doing. In a real setting you have g forces and seat of you pants feeling. Us simple sim races need a little more to help convey those forces.

But I had a go on assetto corsa the other night and that game conveys so much more feeling of what the car is doing. I can feel the squishy tyres and and boucy springs and weight transfer, loss of traction, oversteer etc.
The DD wheel feels phenominal. And that was me just going with the bog standard Fanatec recommended settings.

Again, F1 2018 feels like a complete different game with Fanatecs recommended settings. I'm in love with it. I feel like i don't even need to fiddle with any settings.

I guess i was just hoping for more feeling with my new wheel in GT Sport but it just seems like a limitation of GT Sport rather than the wheel.

I wouldn't really call it a limitation of GT Sport just a different philosophy in what sim FFB should be. GT Sport has plenty of limitations and areas for improvement though. It will be interesting to see what PD do with GT once the Playstation 5 comes out.

I find the FFB on AC to be a bit artificial. I think it is good at some things and pretty bad at others. ACC is much better but so limited in what you can drive. I think a lot of sim racers have grown accustomed to having WAY more feeling through the wheel than you would have in any car in real life, to the point where it's amplified to a kind of silly level. AC FFB is really good on some cars and absolutely horrible on others in my experience. Some cars good at high-mid speed corners then terrible at low speed, and vice versa. I think the general balance of a lot of cars are just off in AC. It's definitely true that in real life you have g-force as the number one reference for what the car is doing but increasing the amount of "feeling" via FFB doesn't replicate that at all. So many people like to pretend they know what a GT3 or Formula car "should" feel like in a sim but in reality they don't know anything about it.

If we have learned anything, you shouldn't take anyone else word about how a sim feels, just like you shouldn't take anyone else word on what cars you will like to drive in real life. It is entirely subjective.

Is there anyone here who knows how long it takes to get something repaired at Fanatec, I sent my DD2 in to have the Quick Release + a carbon cover changed
They have now had my DD2 for 14 days! and I haven't heard anything from them since I received a confirmation that they had received my DD2 14 days ago,
I sent a mail last week and asked if they did not have the parts or had not had time to swap them, but have not yet received a reply

T_M
Is there anyone here who knows how long it takes to get something repaired at Fanatec, I sent my DD2 in to have the Quick Release + a carbon cover changed
They have now had my DD2 for 14 days! and I haven't heard anything from them since I received a confirmation that they had received my DD2 14 days ago,
I sent a mail last week and asked if they did not have the parts or had not had time to swap them, but have not yet received a reply
@DomB_Fanatec This forum member could really do with a reply.

It means that you can use steering wheels that have separate USB connections, but they still need to be connected separately to the PC. The dataport connector on the Hub does not provide USB communication.
Higher grade materials, more compact, upgradeable firmware, upgradeable quick release, higher resolution analogue inputs, supports upcoming button modules.
Hi, sorry for dragging these quotes up from the grave, but I just have a few questions about the Podium Hub. :)

1. When using it on a CSW2.5 do you think it will affect the ffb in any way? Since it is another extra unit between the wheel and the base I mean.

2. Not sure if you can answer this, but since the dataport supports upcoming button modules, will it somehow then also be possible to build a DIY wheel (with an Arduino chip for instance) with buttons/encoders and connect it to that dataport and get button functionality? As opposed to using a USB connection and having a cable hanging loose.

Hi, sorry for dragging these quotes up from the grave, but I just have a few questions about the Podium Hub. :)

1. When using it on a CSW2.5 do you think it will affect the ffb in any way? Since it is another extra unit between the wheel and the base I mean.

2. Not sure if you can answer this, but since the dataport supports upcoming button modules, will it somehow then also be possible to build a DIY wheel (with an Arduino chip for instance) with buttons/encoders and connect it to that dataport and get button functionality? As opposed to using a USB connection and having a cable hanging loose.
1. Much like the ClubSport Universal Hub, the Podium Hub is a multi-purpose device that had to meet several requirements for our own ecosystem, as well as being a strong, 'basic' hub for third-party wheels. If it was designed just as a hub for third party wheels, perhaps it could have been slightly smaller, but really it is a remarkably strong and compact component considering its expandability. Using the Podium Hub to attach a third-party wheel to a ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. It will affect the FFB in the sense that you are adding 563g to the weight of the wheel, but it certainly should not feel like an 'extra unit' between the base and the wheel, in other words there would be no flex in the hard mounting to the third-party wheel. Also, this 'extra weight' is centralised, making it less significant to FFB than if it was distributed towards the outer diameter of the wheel (in terms of inertia).

2. The dataport is intended for Fanatec accessories, so it would not be possible to do this. We have some plans for expanding the potential of this port beyond button modules, but they are not being detailed at this time.

Last edited:
Impressively well made review:

"+++ Caution: Don't put the wheel on like I do in the video, that's the wrong way. You see how it's supposed to be done in this official Fanatec video: +++"

Last edited:
I have the PS4 Podium DD1 and last year bought the special edition (gold) F1 wheel. Is there a way to get all the PS4 specific buttons ( PS button, square etc.) for the SE wheel?

Much like the ClubSport Universal Hub, the Podium Hub is a multi-purpose device that had to meet several requirements for our own ecosystem, as well as being a strong, 'basic' hub for third-party wheels. If it was designed just as a hub for third party wheels, perhaps it could have been slightly smaller, but really it is a remarkably strong and compact component considering its expandability. Using the Podium Hub to attach a third-party wheel to a ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. It will affect the FFB in the sense that you are adding 563g to the weight of the wheel, but it certainly should not feel like an 'extra unit' between the base and the wheel, in other words there would be no flex in the hard mounting to the third-party wheel. Also, this 'extra weight' is centralised, making it less significant to FFB than if it was distributed towards the outer diameter of the wheel (in terms of inertia).
Very good answer, thank you. :)

Just one question please, on the DD1 when the torque key is not inserted what is the torque value? maybe identical to Clubsport wheelbase?

Anyone tried F1 2019? is it worth it ? I skipped couple of instalments but with a new wheel it adds extra fun factor trying new stuff.

Anyone tried F1 2019? is it worth it ? I skipped couple of instalments but with a new wheel it adds extra fun factor trying new stuff.
Imo it's definitely worth the 1€ you paid when you ordered it with a Fanatec Wheel, yes..
Is it worth full price. Definitely no. But you can get it for 50% at key sellers, which imo is again worth it :D
Unfortunately the MPS and upper two APM Paddles still don't work on pc and on PS4 only the basic buttons work which is a shame, really really bad move from Codemasters..

I'm having a problem with my DD1 PS4 wheel set. I've had it since the first week of June. It's been fine since then.
A few days ago during races the shifter pedals would stop sending a shift signal when a crash or strong force feed back event happened in a race.
Then I discovered that when this problem was happening that not only the pedal shifters stopped working but none of the buttons on the steering wheel were functioning.
I would need to shut down the Base and restart it to get the steering wheel buttons to work.
But later I discovered that if I just bump the steering with my hand a couple of times it would fix the problem.

So my thinking is that something must be loose in the steering wheel or the Base.

I contacted Fanatec and received a reply saying - "We are looking into problems like this and we think it can be fixed with a Firm ware update."
Now - I'm thinking that if it was caused by the firm ware the problem would have been happening all along - but this just started a few days ago.

Has anyone else had this problem???

Even no torque key , torque still higher than CSW 2.5 a bit

When the PRW has a simplified QR wheel attached like CSL Elite PS4 wheel, it goes into Low-Torque mode which is equivalent to CSW 2.5.

From the manual:
"Note: When a Fanatec steering wheel with Simplified Quick Release is used on a PodiumWheel Base, the torque will automatically reduce to the level of the ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5."

I guess without the torque key installed but using a normal QR wheel, it is sort of at it's "medium" setting?

Last edited:
No, there is only one Low Torque Mode. Torque on simplified QR is the same as when using metal QR without Torque Key. And this Torque level is slightly above CSW v2.5 level. My OLED showed Peaks of 9-10 Nm but that measurement is not 100% accurate as its no "real" Torque meter.

No, there is only one Low Torque Mode. Torque on simplified QR is the same as when using metal QR without Torque Key. And this Torque level is slightly above CSW v2.5 level. My OLED showed Peaks of 9-10 Nm but that measurement is not 100% accurate as its no "real" Torque meter.

Yeah makes sense just low torque and high torque mode.

Fanatec has literally said the torque is the same as CSW v2.5 in low torque mode, not sure what makes you guys think it is more than tha. It might feel different because it isn't belt driven, but there is nothing to indicate it is more torque than v2.5. And there is nothing to indicate the OLED isn't displaying "real" torque as you mentioned. It is likely an internal sensor right on the motor shaft. Of course the motor can know exactly how much torque it is outputting. Why wouldn't it?

Back