Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
Well, in that case, Fanatec should make it a bit simpler. What I mean by that is this. They have no problem putting out videos of their new products. They in-turn should at least consider making a video of them installing the the drivers and firmware. This would help ensure customers having fewer problems, Fanatec having to deal with less and less returns and both the consumer and manufacturer are content with the sale. Less returns mean a better bottom line for Fanatec and happier customers are more willing to spend even more money with the company. All of that could be accomplished with a 5-10 minute video.

Keith.

Well Keith. You download the driver, and follow the instructions listed in the manual for updating there firmware. It doesn't sound like you have ever updated the firmware on a Fanatec wheelbase so I'm not sure why you are even commenting on it lol. There are numerous reviews and videos of people discussing how much improved the 325 beta driver is.

Stop spreading misinformation.

Reports of another bricked DD1 over on the Fanatec forum. And plenty of people having other problems with this latest driver even though they are fully capable of reading and following instructions ;)

Last edited:
Well Keith. You download the driver, and follow the instructions listed in the manual for updating there firmware. It doesn't sound like you have ever updated the firmware on a Fanatec wheelbase so I'm not sure why you are even commenting on it lol. There are numerous reviews and videos of people discussing how much improved the 325 beta driver is.

Stop spreading misinformation.

I am not spreading misinformation. If you go to the Fanatec forum you can see for yourself. I won't argue with you on this forum, but before you bash me about not ever updating a Fanatec wheelbase, look at my signature since reading is sooooooo fundamental. People ARE having issues. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones.

Reports of another bricked DD1 over on the Fanatec forum. And plenty of people having other problems with this latest driver even though they are fully capable of reading and following instructions ;)
I am not spreading misinformation. If you go to the Fanatec forum you can see for yourself. I won't argue with you on this forum, but before you bash me about not ever updating a Fanatec wheelbase, look at my signature since reading is sooooooo fundamental. People ARE having issues. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones.

Firmware updates don't just magically fail for some people and not for others for unknown reasons. it isn't complicated.

The only people I see with issues are people that didn't follow the instructions and haven't finished the update, updating the motor firmware, etc. Lots of people that can't read that are wondering why they are getting a "max fan bug" because they didn't follow the update instructions. This is normal with any major Fanatec firmware update.

"its written in the first post: when you update to the firmware 669 it is absolutely normal that the fan will go up to 100% because the firmware is not compatible with the old motor firmware. Therefore you need to flash also the motor firmware from v30 to v38 and then the fan will be operating normal again."

Just like on gtplanet there are plenty of ridiculous people on the Fanatec forum as well. What has likely happened with people who are having issues if they have done something during the firmware update that they shouldn't have. Which could happen with any firmware update.

Firmware updates don't just magically fail for some people and not for others for unknown reasons. it isn't complicated.

The only people I see with issues are people that didn't follow the instructions and haven't finished the update, updating the motor firmware, etc. Lots of people that can't read that are wondering why they are getting a "max fan bug" because they didn't follow the update instructions. This is normal with any major Fanatec firmware update.

"its written in the first post: when you update to the firmware 669 it is absolutely normal that the fan will go up to 100% because the firmware is not compatible with the old motor firmware. Therefore you need to flash also the motor firmware from v30 to v38 and then the fan will be operating normal again."

Just like on gtplanet there are plenty of ridiculous people on the Fanatec forum as well. What has likely happened with people who are having issues if they have done something during the firmware update that they shouldn't have. Which could happen with any firmware update.
After help from Fanatec tech support one of the users who thought their wheel was bricked has managed to find the fault is an incompatible motor firmware with his particular motor hardware version which is different to other peoples.

So it would be great if you could stop posting the tripe above. Some people are idiots who can’t follow instructions but that doesn’t mean everyone with a problem is an idiot.

Last edited:
Not sure why some are having trouble updating. Just follow sim racing garage recommendation (min 9:40) as a lazy dog guide.

Here’s his settings which is for iRacing with the 488 GT3. That should be a good starting point for at least the PC racing simulators (& maybe PS4)
E49E3BD8-78D7-483D-9867-5D49C410C0D7.jpeg

Merry Xmas and happy new year everyone.

Hi:)

This is the setting i use for gt-s.
I use the dd1 with drivehub adapter and a 30cm round wheel.
So the ffb could be feel diffrent with the small f1 steering thing.
Make sure you have updated your firmware of base, motor and rim before use it.

Ingame settings:

strenght: 3/10
sens: 1/10

Wheelbase settings:

sen 900
ffb 60
lin off
ndp 70
nfr 4
nin 30
int 4
fei 100
for 100
spr off
drp off
abs off
sho off
brf max

Its a good allround setup, drifting, rally, road, everything works satisfiyng.
Experience varies from car and tyre type.
It will output 9-12nm in corners on nordschleife.
It is a mix of details vs feel good. You wont get hurt by ultra fast spinning or violent movement. It is save to use without beeing too weak. No oscillation but reactive enought to let you know whats going on.
Strong enought to make you feel happy but weak enought to enjoy it over hours without dying from exhaustion ;)

:cheers:

A bit late in the year I know but have just purchased a copy of F1 2019 (Steam sale) anyone who's spent time with this sim care to share their settings for the DD1 (beta driver 352/Fanalab 1.23) with a Club sport Formula V2 rim.

Fanatecs original base settings are a bit long in the tooth now & don't include the new parameters we now have with the latest beta driver.

That's my concern is making sure to install the drivers and firmware for DD1 PS4 and v3i pedals for first time. Rather not dork it up. :-)
I updated my DD1 PS4 with the latest v353 driver and all the latest firmware for base, motor and the F1 PS4 steering wheel. I used it for one hour in GT Sport, then the wheel disconnected from the base and I haven't been able to resolve it. I wrote several messages om Reddit and the Fanatec blog. DomB_Fanatec told me to create a support case which I did. I wish I had never done the firmware update, but on the other hand it felt safe seeing that so many YouTubers did it without errors. I ordered the new Podium Porsche wheel but I am afraid to mount it to the base in case it too will disconnect. I wonder if the reason for my trouble is that I firmware updated the DD1 PS4 version, maybe there is a difference from this over the normal DD1/DD2. I will update you as soon as I hear from the Fanatec support.

I have the CSL Elite also and I too was on the fence. But if you can swing it, you won't regret it. The comparison is like night and day.
I upgraded from csw v2 to DD ps4 (since launch). No regrets.

Enjoy.

I now just wish for new pedals (I have V3). With DD they don't feel that sturdy (it is hard to explain) but they do the job.

I updated my DD1 PS4 with the latest v353 driver and all the latest firmware for base, motor and the F1 PS4 steering wheel. I used it for one hour in GT Sport, then the wheel disconnected from the base and I haven't been able to resolve it. I wrote several messages om Reddit and the Fanatec blog. DomB_Fanatec told me to create a support case which I did. I wish I had never done the firmware update, but on the other hand it felt safe seeing that so many YouTubers did it without errors. I ordered the new Podium Porsche wheel but I am afraid to mount it to the base in case it too will disconnect. I wonder if the reason for my trouble is that I firmware updated the DD1 PS4 version, maybe there is a difference from this over the normal DD1/DD2. I will update you as soon as I hear from the Fanatec support.

I haven't had any issues with my DD1 PS4. You need to do an update to the wheel as well with this new firmware. Have used it for hours and hours without issue after doing all the various updates.

By far my favorite cars to drive in GT Sport with the DD are the Super Formula cars and SuperGT cars. They feel amazing in the dry and in the wet. SuperGT cars are the most fun to drive race cars in the world such a good balance of power, grip, and downforce.

I haven't had any issues with my DD1 PS4. You need to do an update to the wheel as well with this new firmware. Have used it for hours and hours without issue after doing all the various updates.

I did update the firmware on the wheel, so what do you mean? I drove it for an hour and then it disconnected from the base.

I did update the firmware on the wheel, so what do you mean? I drove it for an hour and then it disconnected from the base.
Does it disconnect for good or intermittently?

My formula 2018 wheel would disconnect when I applied pressure to the left side of the rim handle. It had to be replaced.

Does it disconnect for good or intermittently?

My formula 2018 wheel would disconnect when I applied pressure to the left side of the rim handle. It had to be replaced.
It disconnected for good. I am still waiting for an answer from Fanatec support when they have seen the video I made.

It disconnected for good. I am still waiting for an answer from Fanatec support when they have seen the video I made.

When I was using ps4 I would put it in pc mode any time I updated drivers or firmware via the pc; this isn’t mentioned anywhere in the manuals; it was just a hunch but it always worked. What mode were you in when you ran the updates? If you were in ps4 mode, I would put it in pc mode, then roll back the driver and all firmware to v346. Then uninstall 346 and go back to 353 (while still in pc mode).

Wheel firmware is probably the least critical update (doesn’t change much driver to driver, at least for the f1 wheel); I would do the above even if you can’t see or update the wheel. In fact, I would even suggest removing the wheel for the entire process. Once you’re back to 353 re-attach the wheel and see if it shows up in the software, and update it last.

Also, if you use Fanalab, delete all your game/wheel profiles and then uninstall Fanalab before doing anything.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Last edited:
When I was using ps4 I would put it in pc mode any time I updated drivers or firmware via the pc; this isn’t mentioned anywhere in the manuals; it was just a hunch but it always worked. What mode were you in when you ran the updates? If you were in ps4 mode, I would put it in pc mode, then roll back the driver and all firmware to v346. Then uninstall 346 and go back to 353 (while still in pc mode).

Wheel firmware is probably the least critical update (doesn’t change much driver to driver, at least for the f1 wheel); I would do the above even if you can’t see or update the wheel. In fact, I would even suggest removing the wheel for the entire process. Once you’re back to 353 re-attach the wheel and see if it shows up in the software, and update it last.

Also, if you use Fanalab, delete all your game/wheel profiles and then uninstall Fanalab before doing anything.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Fanatec support wrote me a bunch of things to try. I even went all the way back to v335 and the base firmware and motor firmware provided by that driver. Rim still doesn't connect to base. I'm currently waiting for Fanatec sales support to send me a prepaid transport label. They told me it could be the power connection to the rim broke inside the base so they warned me from trying my new Podium Porsche wheel to avoid that breaking too.

I have the CSL Elite also and I too was on the fence. But if you can swing it, you won't regret it. The comparison is like night and day.
Thank you now am really tempted to upgrade my CSL elite to DD1 PS4...does it really that different? need to save more then huahha

Thank you now am really tempted to upgrade my CSL elite to DD1 PS4...does it really that different? need to save more then huahha

I really cant explain it. And a lot of the top Youtubers can't really explain it either. It's something you have to feel. One of the biggest problems I had was feeling what the car was doing in the corners. Now, that isn't an issue. I can virtually feel what each tire is doing on the track. It's incredible how far this technology has come.

Keith.

I really cant explain it. And a lot of the top Youtubers can't really explain it either. It's something you have to feel. One of the biggest problems I had was feeling what the car was doing in the corners. Now, that isn't an issue. I can virtually feel what each tire is doing on the track. It's incredible how far this technology has come.

Keith.
I wish they weren't so damn expensive.

To me it's the same as owning a Chevette or a Corvette. They'll both get you there but one will get you there a little faster and in more style and of course cost more. Unless you can't drive and in that case, you'll wreck with either one of them. :lol:

To me it's the same as owning a Chevette or a Corvette. They'll both get you there but one will get you there a little faster and in more style and of course cost more. Unless you can't drive and in that case, you'll wreck with either one of them. :lol:
This is true.

I also made the jump from the CSL Elite to the Podium DD1 (PS4).
It really is a huge difference.
The thing is, it doesn't come from the very first second.
You must adapt and get used to it.
But after that, there's no going back.

And, i hate to say things like this, it really made me faster and more consistent.
As days go by, I keep getting faster and faster...
I catch myself going one on one,
with guys that i hadn't a chance before...
It doesn't turn me in to Hizal, but it helped me get better.

Last edited:

Keith.

I don't doubt there's a tangible difference, but for me there are two issues. Writing off the CSL Elite after 5 or 6 months of use just seems silly, and secondly, the bigger issue I have is the consistency of the CSL Elite Pedals. The load cell design seems to cause me more problems than anything else. Hopefully there's a Podium series pedal in the works that fits the bill. Otherwise I'm kinda leaning to spending on a set of Heusinkvelds.

Back