Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
I don't know why but I have a good feeling about the @Fanatec... DD wheels. Not The Accuforce, Bodnar, Sim-plicity, FeelVR.
I have very positive feeling about Fanatec DD Podium line, but that doesn`t stop me to want Simplicity Compact SW7C....and you are wrong if you underestimate Simplicity brand!;)

I have very positive feeling about Fanatec DD Podium line, but that doesn`t stop me to want Simplicity Compact SW7C....and you are wrong if you underestimate Simplicity brand!;)
I don't underestimate Sim-plicity. I just don't the same vibes as I have for the DD wheels. Maybey it is because I'm brainwashed by watching the live stream. It can all change though when the first reviews arrive.

Maybe you should consider buying this version(SW7C+) which has an encoder with much higher resolution(8,388,608 (8M) cpr absolute encoder),if one hundred euros more is not problem for you.:)
I know very well the existence of "SW7C+", what means the "+" and it is not for the extra 100 Euro. I don`t have strong decision which one will be my first choice. Better encoder is always better, but mostly people ( including me) will be curious how good can be DD wheel for 500 Euro. And that`s why the "non +" exist - to have great DD wheel for 500 Euro price tag not to judge what can be better,, because the answer will be "maybe everything"!:) That`s why we have DD wheels for 2 000 and 3 000 Euro and to honor the thread here we have also Fanatec DD wheel D2 for 1 499,95 Euro!;)

people using it now on dd's....
may be it can last quite a moment or may be last till the end , btw , i love the steering wheel without any flex , just like CS series wheel does , or you can watch " Barry Roland " mclaren GT3 review , you can see the structure , then you will know that's not a sturdy product

Cool because I believe the Fanatec DD will be more like the Acuforce V2, entry level DD wheel but only time will tell, hopefully Barry gets one soon so he can make a comparison of all DD wheels to the Fanatec one
I think that more fair will be to judge DD wheels in "Mass consumer" Segment and "Pro" Segment. Every brand have its chance to take the lead in "mass" or "pro" segments. One thing is for sure - Fanatec in development process have goals to achieve and I am sure they compared their product to other Rivals and achieved good results. Ofcourse after the D1 and D2 launch - the Rivals will have move and so on;)

It is my opinion that when you spend all that money on a DD wheel, you have to go all the way. :D

1. A motion sim
  2. high level shifter
  3. high level pedals
  4. at least 3 monitors
  5. or a HMD
  6. surround sound
  7. the best sim out there such as AC, ACC, iRacing, rFactor2 and so on
  8. Button box
  9. buttkicker
  10. or get a real track day car :D

It is my opinion that when you spend all that money on a DD wheel, you have to go all the way. :D

1. A motion sim
  2. high level shifter
  3. high level pedals
  4. at least 3 monitors
  5. or a HMD
  6. surround sound
  8. Button box
  9. buttkicker

BuckFly: Sweety, Sweety, I know $30,000 is a lot of money to spend, but kikie over at the Gt Planet Forums said that if I'm already spending $1,500 or so on a DD wheel that I needed to go all the way."

BuckFly: "OK, but how long do I have to sleep on the couch?"

:gtpflag:

1. A motion sim
  2. high level shifter
  3. high level pedals
  4. at least 3 monitors
  5. or a HMD
  6. surround sound
  8. Button box
  9. buttkicker

It sure adds up fast, doesn’t it

BuckFly: Sweety, Sweety, I know $30,000 is a lot of money to spend, but kikie over at the Gt Planet Forums said that if I'm already spending $1,500 or so on a DD wheel that I needed to go all the way."

BuckFly: "OK, but how long do I have to sleep on the couch?"

:gtpflag:
Let me talk to her.
It sure adds up fast, doesn’t it
It sure does. But the fun ...........................

I saw those exact same type servo's go for 300-400 on aliexpress. So with an custom encoder, warranty, mount and software those are quite a good deal. But I also saw € 200-250 servos with around 2-4 nm rated torque and with 7-12 nm peak torque. Why wouldnt these be good enough for ffb wheels? Most consumers would likely prefer FFB fidelity to high torque. So why wouldnt they use one of those smaller servo's to build a lower end podium DD wheel? Not enough speed? I am not an engineer... so maybe someone here can clarify? Does anybody know what kind of motor is found in the FeelVR?

I guess the challenge is to build a consumer solution with the encoder, motor and other electronics into one housing, which results in the price of € 1500,- for the podium DD2.

I am also really curious about the difference in performance between a standard industrial Servomotor and an outrunner motor. Is it really a better choice for a DD wheel? Or is it more because of cost?

I saw those exact same type servo's go for 300-400 on aliexpress. So with an custom encoder, warranty, mount and software those are quite a good deal. But I also saw € 200-250 servos with around 2-4 nm rated torque and with 7-12 nm peak torque. Why wouldnt these be good enough for ffb wheels? Most consumers would likely prefer FFB fidelity to high torque. So why wouldnt they use one of those smaller servo's to build a lower end podium DD wheel? Not enough speed? I am not an engineer... so maybe someone here can clarify? Does anybody know what kind of motor is found in the FeelVR?

I guess the challenge is to build a consumer solution with the encoder, motor and other electronics into one housing, which results in the price of € 1500,- for the podium DD2.

I am also really curious about the difference in performance between a standard industrial Servomotor and an outrunner motor. Is it really a better choice for a DD wheel? Or is it more because of cost?

Very good question! IMO Fanatec now want to be in the big league of powerfull DD Wheels especialy for the start of the Podium line. Maybe this is a good logic. As we can see entirely new segment is starting in DD wheels with the Compact Simplicity line - good mass consumer ready wheels for 500 Euro. Jeez, this is cheaper than TM TS-PC...So, no doubt in the Fanatec line afordable DD wheel will pop up maybe after 1-2 years and CSW will be discountinued. CSL E line have future IMO, but CSW will become too expensive to built with this housing etc when you have much better DD wheels on same price. So, for sure Fanatec entry level DD wheel rise some day, Fanatec will not leave this segment without fight!;)

Cool because I believe the Fanatec DD will be more like the Acuforce V2, entry level DD wheel but only time will tell, hopefully Barry gets one soon so he can make a comparison of all DD wheels to the Fanatec one.

Final Thoughts: Barry is gonna have some really nice things to say about Podium DD2. Then he is going to remark that the software implementation still needs a little more work. Then he is going to recommend a few small changes he would have made to the hardware. Then he is going to say the DD2 at $1500 is one of the best direct drive wheels currently on the market.

Last edited:
Final Thoughts: Barry is gonna have some really nice things to say about Podium DD2. Then he is going to remark that the software implementation still needs a little more work. Then he is going to recommend a few small changes he would have made to the hardware. Then he is going to say the DD2 at $1500 is one of the best direct drive wheels currently on the market.

Even i f this happens exact as you said - what is the bad and unrealistic??? Or you point that Barry uses same template all the time no matter good or bad product he reviewed?

Even i f this happens exact as you said - what is the bad and unrealistic??? Or you point that Barry uses same template all the time no matter good or bad product he reviewed?

Well, he does have a "Sim Racing Garage Review Process".
He speaks about the hardware as objectively as he can.
He can be critical but nice about it and leaves out all the drama.

Last edited:
Well, he does have a "Sim Racing Garage Review Process".
He speaks about the hardware as objectively as he can.
He can be critical, but leaves out all of the drama.
Well, now I see what you mean... I think that those type of reviews are :" I will show you everything for the product and you can be the judge!", which is not bad - sometimes is better not to give directions to viewers! His reviews are good and I like to watch "Sim Racing Garage"!:)

So, and forgive me for being thick, you just plain think what I said is too low for the PS4 DD1?

Likely it would be in the $1,599 and up range?

EDIT: and yes, I know you say the maximum price you'd think it is worth, but do you think it is going to be that?
I don't think Fanatec even know what the market will bare ... as the owner said, people who spend 4 hours a day on Gran Turismo, Are Serious. But the super serious PS4 Gran Turismo drivers - they cannot buy the DD2. So for them, they'll probably be happy to pay lots for the DD1, but they might be resentful about spending as much for a DD1 combo as if they'd just bought a better DD2 wheelbase. And such guys also drive PCs as well. They drive both from what I have read.

But I also recall that those who went to the Nurburgring for the Gran Turismo Euro event - 24 people or so got selected from various Euro countries (there was a thread on that event here) - some of the very fastest guys used Logitech G29 wheels. While a few reviewers may say a wheelbase makes you faster, the expert drivers in Gran Turismo reckon that brakes are important for speed, but that the wheelbase is really all about immersion. Which is another word for "Fun". So, how much extra fun will people be prepared to get on Gran Turismo with a costly wheelbase?

And how many PS4 players are going to spend the same amount of money on a wheel they don't need (the F1 wheel) if they are in the Fanatec system, as they would have to spend on a DD2 wheel? There lack of a DD2 wheel option for PS4 might drive some to just stick with the PC and buy the DD2 wheelbase. Its another reason why the DD1 needs to be good value.

Personally a high cost of the DD1 will simply drive me away from the PS4, and use the PC instead. In other words, a high cost DD1 for the PS4 is very much a niche product. A lower cost DD1 - i.e. mid way between a Clubsport pricing and the DD2 - will open up the market - perhaps.

And Fanatec haven't made it easy for PS4 players, because they don't have a Clubsport option. Its either DD1 with an F1 wheel, or go the Elite setup. That's perhaps a big gap in spending.

But the real issue is two years from now. If Fanatec want to be the major player, they'll introduce the DD1 at a price which will make it tough for Thrustmaster's coming DD setup, at the time Thrustmaster introduce their DD product. If Fanatec sold the wheel for the PS4 at Clubsport wheelbase prices then it might even leave the market to Fanatec for years, and also force Thrustmaster to bring in a low cost cheap DD product with little torque / acceleration. I was involved in a business where it payed low prices for an input resource that was in limited supply. I argued to pay high prices for it. Instead, the owners payed low prices. And then the competition came, and the company lost its cheap resources and its business. Its dumb to make short term profits if you want to dominate.

Last edited:
Can you find the holding torque for the Bodnar wheel?

SimSteering2 FFB System 54

Kollmogen AKM 52-54 , Leo Bodnar mention the peak torque of system 54 is 26nm , I checked different model of 54 , such as 54L , 54G , etc . None of them is 26nm peak torque , May be LB just give out the average torque as description
(14.4+37.8) /2 = 26nm

BB5B5086-2D4A-4BE2-BB8D-CDCD63DB24BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Indeed, a DD wheel is a niche and a perfect brake pedal is a must if one would like to be a faster race simmer (I just made up that word).

DD2 is console compatible. DD1 as well?
DD1 with F1 esport rim is an official licensed PS4 wheel (the third version). Does this mean that there is no quick release and the rim is fixed to the DD base?

Fanatec said that it was tricky to find a solution for the data transfer from the wheel to the base because it has "endless rotation". But the FeelVR has unlimited rotation as well, so how did they find a solution that according to Fanatec was very tricky?

If the sim - AC, ACC, iRacing, rFactor 2, Automotista, ..... - has a true to life steering ratios for each car, the wheel will automatically stop turning due to the softlock in the sim's software.

. Does this mean that there is no quick release and the rim is fixed to the DD base?
No.
Fanatec said that it was tricky to find a solution for the data transfer from the wheel to the base because it has "endless rotation". But the FeelVR has unlimited rotation as well, so how did they find a solution that according to Fanatec was very tricky?
Tricky to find a reliable solution.

BC9BA80B-07E0-4924-9CC0-1A5582B3A3DB.jpeg

There’s more to a motor than just torque numbers which is why even though a Kollmorgen or Lenze motor have lower output than a big Mige they still feel better.

For reference I believe rated torque is the RPM at which holding torque matches maximum torque which is something like 1000RPM.

FeelVR will use wireless communication,too. The tricky part here is that the wireless things are in the shaft`s hub....thats the only way to use all Fanatec rims and all of them to communicate wirelesly with the base!:)

FeelVR will use wireless communication,too. The tricky part here is that the wireless things are in the shaft`s hub....thats the only way to use all Fanatec rims and all of them to communicate wirelesly with the base!:)
Yes, I forgot about that part. FeelVR has two wheels and Fanatec has a whole range of wheels, which are compatible with the base.

Hip hip hooray for Fanatec!

Latest Posts

Back