Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
Indeed, a DD wheel is a niche and a perfect brake pedal is a must if one would like to be a faster race simmer (I just made up that word).

DD2 is console compatible. DD1 as well?
DD1 with F1 esport rim is an official licensed PS4 wheel (the third version). Does this mean that there is no quick release and the rim is fixed to the DD base?

Fanatec said that it was tricky to find a solution for the data transfer from the wheel to the base because it has "endless rotation". But the FeelVR has unlimited rotation as well, so how did they find a solution that according to Fanatec was very tricky?

If the sim - AC, ACC, iRacing, rFactor 2, Automotista, ..... - has a true to life steering ratios for each car, the wheel will automatically stop turning due to the softlock in the sim's software.

DD1 and DD2 both compatible with console , but only XBOX ;

Podium Racing Wheel ( DD1 PS4 version) of coz will have QR , and also compatible with PC and Xbox (XBOX wheel require) , just like "CSL Elite PS4" , can use it on 3 platforms ;

Fanatec say the wireless solution is " IR Technology" , does IR stand for infrared ? that's no any information until now , but infrared transfer power and data is possible , don't know about with Feel VR , using "slip ring" ?

Last edited:
DD1 and DD2 both compatible with console , but only XBOX ;

Podium Racing Wheel ( DD1 PS4 version) of coz will have QR , and also compatible with PC and Xbox (XBOX wheel require) , just like "CSL Elite PS4" , can use it on 3 platforms ;

Fanatec say the wireless solution is " IR Technology" , does IR stand for infrared ? that's no any information until now , but infrared transfer power and data is possible , no about with Feel VR , using "slip ring" ?
Feel VR stand for IR technology also... I really think that more info need to be revealed as the preorder is active. But for example we don`t know nothing specific for FeelVR and tons of people backed it on Kickstarter!

Console compatible; sounds a lot like PS4. During the live stream, he also said that both wheels will be compatible with Xbox as well. Strange way to say if the DD wheels are only Xbox compatible.

IR is infrared.

Console compatible; sounds a lot like PS4. During the live stream, he also said that both wheels will be compatible with Xbox as well. Strange way to say if the DD wheels are only Xbox compatible.

IR is infrared.
The Xbox/PS4 compat case is very simple: Every PC base of Fanatec can be Xbox compatible, because Xbox compatibility comes from the Xbox rim. To have PS4 compatibility you need to buy PS4 compatible base, because PS4 compatibility is in the base. That`s why all PC/Xbox bases can`t be PS4 compatible, but all PS4/PC bases can be Xbox compatible adding Xbox rim. Following this logic - the first CSL Elite base that is stated Xbox base is simple PC base, because still needs Xbox rim to be Xbox Compatible, so nothing Xbox in it in general;)

I welcome you guys, and I'm thinking dd1 will be no less than 1000-1169 $. About $ 800, even there is no question.
I now ride the t300 for 2 years already. I'm pleased with the wheel. But of course I would replace the cooler one in the future with dd1 ,. DD2, No, because it's expensive and 24nm will tear my hands :)) pleases that fanatec has a lot of removable wheels. Pedals certainly do not say that bad, but for this money there is a much better solution. Yes, and have to completely redesign the cockpit for such a base. Now I have an ordinary wooden table that can withstand the T300. like and not a professional in this matter, but always want something new.

Last edited:

I cant help but feel people are going to be disappointed when they get this wheel. I could be wrong of course.... But that design (esthetically) just awfull! For VR it should be ok, but those wheelrims and base are so ugly... Hopefully they will compensate it at release with awesome performance and software.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks FeelVR will be something more than a disappointment is delusional at this point. I'm sorry, but there is no way this will be any good. Good luck to any future owner.
Can`t wait to see this wheel released! So, many question marks for it.....

Because the FeelVR looks really terrible, no actually it looks like a cheap child's toy used by a clown in a circus, doesn't automatically mean that it is a bad wheel.

The same reason goes for the other DD wheels. Because they look the part and professional, e.g. the new DD1 & 2, doesn't mean that they are good.

Looks can be deceiving. Don't judge a DD wheels by it's cover. :D

Because the FeelVR looks really terrible, no actually it looks like a cheap child's toy used by a clown in a circus, doesn't automatically mean that it is a bad wheel.

The same reason goes for the other DD wheels. Because they look the part and professional, e.g. the new DD1 & 2, doesn't mean that they are good.

Looks can be deceiving. Don't judge a DD wheels by it's cover. :D

Yeah but it does mean a lot for a lot of people and a wheel that looks like a kids toy from the 50's, the car equivalent would be a Reliant Robin, is going to lose out against an cool looking "industrial" look of an OSW kit. Especially for people who love cars... Simracers love racing, but also want to look good, while doing it! There is reason why people want OMP, Sparco or MOMO wheel. FeelVR should have either just offer a wheelhub/button box or provide a nicer wheel.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
I cant help but feel people are going to be disappointed when they get this wheel. I could be wrong of course.... But that design (esthetically) just awfull! For VR it should be ok, but those wheelrims and base are so ugly... Hopefully they will compensate it at release with awesome performance and software.

I really can't believe how ridiculous that thing looks. It is the aesthetic equivalent of a carnival ride.

Only the DD1 is PS4 compatible.
No it's not. Neither DD1 nor DD2 will be PS4 compatible.

To quote Thomas from Fanatec: "The DD1 will NOT be PS4 compatible. It is a different wheel." (Source)

The 2nd sentence refers to the specific PS4-compatible DD-base, which will fully announced later.

To quote Thomas from Fanatec: "The DD1 will NOT be PS4 compatible. It is a different wheel." (Source)

The 2nd sentence refers to the specific PS4-compatible DD-base, which will fully announced later.
This is all totally confusing now.

I see nothing confusing,here are the three wheels:
Podium Racing Wheel - officially licensed for PS4
Podium Wheel Base DD1-this product is not compatible to any PlayStation console and cannot be upgraded to achieve compatibility
Podium Wheel Base DD2-this product is not compatible to any PlayStation console and cannot be upgraded to achieve compatibility
The Podium Racing wheel(for PS4) and the Podium wheel base DD1(for PC and Xbox) has the same electric motor but different electronics because there must be a security chip in it to make it PS4 compatible.

Last edited:
I see nothing confusing,here are the three wheels:

The Podium Racing wheel(for PS4) and the Podium wheel base DD1(for PC and Xbox) has the same electric motor but different electronics because there must be a security chip it to make it PS4 compatible.
If this is not clear enough....:)

I was talking about the DD1, the third version (official licensed PS4 DD wheel) as Thomas said during the live stream and I was repeating what Fanatec said in that I quoted.

Thomas Jackermeier
Community Event and Community Manager

I would like to introduce you to Dom Brennan who works as a community manager for us now. He moved from the UK to Bavaria and is a simracer who knows what he is talking about.

Dom will also be active in this forum from now on and help you with answers. He is also building up a real forum with help section and guidelines how to set up your Fanatec product in a game.

This year we are celebrating 20 years of Endor/Fanatec. As we take any chance to make a party we will celebrate that on the 25th of August in Landshut.

Such a party would not be complete without our fans and customers.Therefore we would like to invite a couple of you to celebrate with us so it will be a community event.

We will put our old products on display as well as showing the latest Podium DD wheel bases. You can even compare them with its most important competitors both in a racing simulation as well as with test tools to measure torque, smoothness, acceleration, etc.

So who would like to come to Landshut?

Link

landshut.jpg

Okay, 724km (*2 = 1,448km) for a party.

Latest Posts

Back