Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
Just a question but what about Sim Racing Garage? Don't you trust him as well?
Nope, but I love his videos because they informative, same goes for Shawn Cole from inside sim racing. I watch the videos because they give you info you might be looking for but their personal opinion on the products mean nothing to me personally
Why do you think YouTube forces reviewers to tell you how they got the product and why?

Shady tactics that’s why

Last edited:
saw a lot. but i want to know, Have you seen the FFB meter when you drive ? How do you know what should be what is less?
FFB dd is clear. Is it right? CSW is vague, so it is not real?

Last edited:
DomB_Fanatec
Hey. Problem one please tell me why my order 935091 dd1 was canceled? I made the payment it was confirmed, and a week later it was canceled as so.

DomB_Fanatec
Hey. Problem one please tell me why my order 935091 dd1 was canceled? I made the payment it was confirmed, and a week later it was canceled as so.
Well that sucks, if you paid via credit card maybe your bank thought it was a fraudulent charge, it has happened to me while ordering stuff from Japan.
I hope you get your problem straightened out and you still get your base on the first shipment, good luck

DomB_Fanatec
I'm sorry to hear that - please discuss this with our sales team. They can be contacted via the email: webshop (at) fanatec (dot) com.

Hey @DomB_Fanatec I haven't seen a photo of the bottom of the DD1 but I wanted to make sure that it was compatible with the steering wheel mount of the RSeat S1 so I've attached an image of it just to be sure ... also do I need anything other than the screws and washers that came with the S1? Getting excited with just a few weeks to go...

Attachments

• IMG_2647.jpg
    IMG_2647.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 45
Hey @DomB_Fanatec I haven't seen a photo of the bottom of the DD1 but I wanted to make sure that it was compatible with the steering wheel mount of the RSeat S1 so I've attached an image of it just to be sure ... also do I need anything other than the screws and washers that came with the S1? Getting excited with just a few weeks to go...
Hi JoshKM, if you visit the downloads section of the DD1 or DD2 product pages you'll find drilling templates that show the position of the side mounts and the bottom mounts. The bottom mounts have the same triangle pattern as our CSL and ClubSport bases, so most cockpit wheel plates (including your S1) are pre-drilled for this. The bottom mounts are M6, and you can only go 12mm deep into the base, so check the length of your bolts.

I can't imagine that's stable enough for a DD1 ... Fanatec has always said to contact the manufacturer but I doubt it.

Hello,

Having a space problem I can only purchase an next level wheel stand , can I mount the DD1 Fanatec direct drive ?
I think that you are going to have a motion wheelstand if you mount a DD wheel to this wheelstand. Unless you turn down the FFB of the DD wheel comparable of the T300RS.

I think that you are going to have a motion wheelstand if you mount a DD wheel to this wheelstand. Unless you turn down the FFB of the DD wheel comparable of the T300RS.
Ok but will I still have the enhanced precision of this wheel base with the torque reduced ?

Ok but will I still have the enhanced precision of this wheel base with the torque reduced ?
I'm not sure. Maybe you could ask @DomB_Fanatec.

Why don't you build your own wheelstand with 80/20 profiles? You can make it as strong and small as you like.

@kgb27r Just don't. I just sold my NextLevel GT Ultimate (which is this wheelstand with a seat attached to it) and the flex with my Clubsport was driving me nuts. I wouldn't even consider the DD wheels unless you plan on running them at low torque on that.

Hello,

Having a space problem I can only purchase an next level wheel stand , can I mount the DD1 Fanatec direct drive ?
Wheel-Stand-1.jpg

All of last year I was using a wheel stand before I purchased my P1, for the same reason as well (lack of space)

I was using it with a Leo Bodnar 54G and Heusinkveld Ultimate and the CS Shifter pedals without any problems, and I was still using strong FFB , it was very stable plus strong to sustain the massive weight of the Bodnar motor

This is the one I was using

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FENJWZG/?tag=gtplanet-20

Last edited:
As long as the surface or structure is strong enough to handle to weight of the unit, then you'll always get some benefit from direct drive. However, if there is a lot of movement or flex, you will lose significant detail. In most cases it is possible to fit a direct drive wheel base to a foldable stand, but I have yet to test a wheel stand that is acceptable for direct drive performance (personal opinion).

While I'm sure it can be done, your wheel stand doesn't appear to be ideal for mounting a Podium Series wheel base - as far as I can see from the installation PDF, the wheel plate is only drilled for the angle mount that comes with the ClubSport wheel base; it's not drilled for the three-hole mounting pattern found on the CSL, ClubSport, and Podium bases. The reason for this could be because the wheel plate attaches to a square bar at the front, which restricts the use of bolts over the first inch or so.

As you can see from the drilling template on our site (linked by leonstone), the mounting points are very near the 'front' of the underside of the base, so there is a lot of (very heavy) overhang at the back. If you have to mount it 'behind' the square bar, you're pushing back the base even further. Perhaps it could be mounted towards the front of the plate by drilling through the square bar as well.

Thank you g
uys for your advices
As long as the surface or structure is strong enough to handle to weight of the unit, then you'll always get some benefit from direct drive. However, if there is a lot of movement or flex, you will lose significant detail. In most cases it is possible to fit a direct drive wheel base to a foldable stand, but I have yet to test a wheel stand that is acceptable for direct drive performance (personal opinion).

While I'm sure it can be done, your wheel stand doesn't appear to be ideal for mounting a Podium Series wheel base - as far as I can see from the installation PDF, the wheel plate is only drilled for the angle mount that comes with the ClubSport wheel base; it's not drilled for the three-hole mounting pattern found on the CSL, ClubSport, and Podium bases. The reason for this could be because the wheel plate attaches to a square bar at the front, which restricts the use of bolts over the first inch or so.

As you can see from the drilling template on our site (linked by leonstone), the mounting points are very near the 'front' of the underside of the base, so there is a lot of (very heavy) overhang at the back. If you have to mount it 'behind' the square bar, you're pushing back the base even further. Perhaps it could be mounted towards the front of the plate by drilling through the square bar as well.
Thank you for your kind reply :)

All of last year I was using a wheel stand before I purchased my P1, for the same reason as well (lack of space)

I was using it with a Leo Bodnar 54G and Heusinkveld Ultimate and the CS Shifter pedals without any problems, and I was still using strong FFB , it was very stable plus strong to sustain the massive weight of the Bodnar motor

Thank you :)

Thank you ;)

Thank you for your advice :)

I was also considering this product ?
Drawing%201-700x700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Drawing%201-700x700.jpg

I've had it for more than 6 years and can say it is quite stable as a foldable stand, but not as rigid as many others non-foldable stands. It have some moves side to side with stronger FFB, o high grip fast car (egz., LMP). so it can be a bit complicat to use it with DD or other strong wheels. Since I have more space and no need to fold it anymore, I added 2 vertical parts and now it is really rigid.

IMG_20190327_221900.jpg

Thank you I will look at it :)

I've had it for more than 6 years and can say it is quite stable as a foldable stand, but not as rigid as many others non-foldable stands. It have some moves side to side with stronger FFB, o high grip fast car (egz., LMP). so it can be a bit complicat to use it with DD or other strong wheels. Since I have more space and no need to fold it anymore, I added 2 vertical parts and now it is really rigid.

View attachment 813528

I think that there is not a simple standard wheel stand that is strong enough to withstand a DD wheel. Using a wheel stand in combination with a DD wheel will always require compromises in FFB and torque. The only thing to do is make your own wheel stand using aluminium/steel profiles or 80/20 profiles.

Drawing%201-700x700.jpg

I wouldn't recommend that GT Omega for a DD setup. The pedal board on that stand in particular has a ton of flex even when using them with my CSL Elite LC pedals. I switched from that GT Omega stand to a simlabs TR1 cockpit, that I actually use as a wheel stand with my couch.

41837591_531069900697805_9186047727375482880_n.jpg

I can easily slide this under my couch and it has nearly zero flex, night and day difference from the GT Omega, but obviously more expensive. If you are putting money into a DD setup you definitely should be willing to spend on a mounting setup that will avoid as much flex as possible.

I wouldn't recommend that GT Omega for a DD setup. The pedal board on that stand in particular has a ton of flex even when using them with my CSL Elite LC pedals. I switched from that GT Omega stand to a simlabs TR1 cockpit, that I actually use as a wheel stand with my couch.

I can easily slide this under my couch and it has nearly zero flex, night and day difference from the GT Omega, but obviously more expensive. If you are putting money into a DD setup you definitely should be willing to spend on a mounting setup that will avoid as much flex as possible.

Thank you I will review this product :)

I think it is way too long 1,20 m , do you attach a seat ? it is more of a cockpit stand it seems ?

It is a new product smaller than the other models, is it foldable ?

Thank you I will review this product :)

I think it is way too long 1,20 m , do you attach a seat ? it is more of a cockpit stand it seems ?

It is a new product smaller than the other models, is it foldable ?
The best solution is to build a custom wheelstand. If you do that, you can make it as big or small as you want. You can order accessories from Sim-labs.eu for mounting your DD wheel and pedals to the wheelstand.

Back