Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,717 comments
FMW
Not sure why the article mentions "What we do know is that the first generation DD Podium Series base will not be compatible with PS4." That's not exactly true...

If you listen to Thomas, on at least two videos during the Expo, he mentions they are talking to Sony about this base. So, I take it to mean the jury is still out on this base being PS4 compatible. I surely hope it is. Thomas goes on to mention that FANATEC realizes there is a decent amount of customers that are willing and able to fork over whatever it takes to have the best gear for their console of choice. =)
In the video on Facebook they specifically say they are trying to get PS4 comparability but it's up to Sony to allow it and I doubt they are going to play ball because at has to be a PS4 specific base not just a rim.

In the video on Facebook they specifically say they are trying to get PS4 comparability but it's up to Sony to allow it and I doubt they are going to play ball because at has to be a PS4 specific base not just a rim.

True given Sony's stance on the past history with Fanatec. I'm just speculating, but at the price point this DD is going to be, I would think Fanatec could negotiate a deal where Sony is happy getting such a premium product on their system. But hey, I work for a large Japanese multi-market company. What do I know about making good sense? ;) LOL

Time will tell I suppose.

FMW
True given Sony's stance on the past history with Fanatec. I'm just speculating, but at the price point this DD is going to be, I would think Fanatec could negotiate a deal where Sony is happy getting such a premium product on their system. But hey, I work for a large Japanese multi-market company. What do I know about making good sense? ;) LOL

Time will tell I suppose.
The problem is the whole console market runs on absolute stupidity, like how they still refuse to have EA Access available because it's 'for the gamers' benefit. A shared hardware product is evidently some weird marketing issue for them which I assume is why they demanded a dedicated base rather than a separate rim working on any base.

Let's say they did allow a special rim, the problem is Sony would then demand it only worked on this and the CSL Elite PS4 base which Fanatec aren't going to go for given it goes against the how their current ecosystem works.

That leaves us with the DD base being PS4 first with the security chip and costing more for the licensing which I really can't see happening and not do I think Fanatec should have to bow down to console manufacturers stupid demands. They should be begging Fanatec to make hardware of such quality available to their consumers not making them jump through hoops for the privelage to sell it to them.

Then again maybe Sony's issues was they wanted all of Fanatec's ecosystem to work on the base, although I doubt it since they don't make any money from non-Sony gear. In the end I guess we'll never know!

XXI
Trying to apply for the beta test, the only application I can find is in german.
Is there an english app?
Sorry for the late response:
Go to Fanatec.com>Contact us>I would like to become a beta tester of Fanatec products.
The app must be in English.

Attachments

• Без име.png
    Без име.png
    77 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Sorry for the late response:
Go to Fanatec.com>Contact us>I would like to become a beta tester of Fanatec products.The app must be in English.

Thanks super_gt. I put mine in this morning. I actually have thought hard about it, as I wanted to be sure I could put the time in necessary to benefit fanatec's purpose for the beta and also how willing I would be to make upgrades out of my own pocket to be a tester (better shifter, pedals v3, etc.) to show the proper respect for the testing.

In the long run, though, I thought it was worth it.

However, whoever tests these things I wish them the best of luck as I believe these will kind of change this industry for years to come.

I don't think it would be lower, the issue really is motor cost. Those Lenze, miges etc are simply very expensive, now where Fanatec could really corner the market is in the custom motor and economies of scale, if it really is better for the job than those standard motors, everyone else is in the high end market is going to be playing catch up.
No, you can get a mige for 184 euros.

Man, when is this going to be released? I am getting antsy over here.

Crow, we don't need an exact date, but man, they need to let us know possible deets on pre-orders and when they expect that to be.

For example even, 'We are hoping to begin pre-orders anywhere between November 1 and the end of the year."

Crow, we don't need an exact date, but man, they need to let us know possible deets on pre-orders and when they expect that to be.

For example even, 'We are hoping to begin pre-orders anywhere between November 1 and the end of the year."
I've got a T300 and it is fine. But I am looking to get a new wheel base before the end of the year. Fanatec DD vs Accuforce is the debate. I'm hoping Fanatec pulls it off for Black Friday.

I've got a T300 and it is fine. But I am looking to get a new wheel base before the end of the year. Fanatec DD vs Accuforce is the debate. I'm hoping Fanatec pulls it off for Black Friday.

TX here, and I might be thinking the same...maybe more so after the start of the year.

Crow, I rarely stick my nose in and give an opinion on one wheel over the other and I think AF makes a great wheel and this AF2 has changed the game a bit with a lower price. However, for me, personally I think there is more potential with the fanatec as far as an expanded eco system. Yes, I am mainly a console driver (for now), so there is that. Still, I just think there is going to be more options and more opportunities with the fanatec.

TX here, and I might be thinking the same...maybe more so after the start of the year.

Crow, I rarely stick my nose in and give an opinion on one wheel over the other and I think AF makes a great wheel and this AF2 has changed the game a bit with a lower price. However, for me, personally I think there is more potential with the fanatec as far as an expanded eco system. Yes, I am mainly a console driver (for now), so there is that. Still, I just think there is going to be more options and more opportunities with the fanatec.
The ecosystem is a key element, indeed. Being able to plug in my Clubsport pedals and use any of the Fanatec rims would be a major plus.

The ecosystem is a key element, indeed. Being able to plug in my Clubsport pedals and use any of the Fanatec rims would be a major plus.

I actually think fanatec may even do a better job with their shifters and pedals than they do their wheels, and I think they do a great job with their wheels. Yes, I really wouldn't mind going back to that environment for the time since my GT2 wheel on the 360.

My only concern is how he talks about other wheel motors being overspecced, sure they might be but they also don't break easily like the cheap motors in current consumer wheels!

I'll be pissed if when I get one the motor dies because they went cheap on the most important part.

Pre-Production -> mostly Beta wheels.

I thought it was all beta wheels? Alpha's are more like prototypes basically.

I'm lurking but I don't see much chatter, but I wonder what everyone things the Podium series will entail next to the direct drive base itself?

My wishes...
  • Hydraulic pedals
  • Force Feedback H pattern and/or sequential shifter(s)
  • Hydraulic handbrake
  • Fully licensed and functioning rims. I'm thinking along the lines of fully functioning (with all bells and whistles) 1:1 replica of the Porsche 919 Hybrid LMP steering wheel, and similar types of 1:1 replicas for other racing disciplines.
  • Finally some steering wheel stalks for easy indicator, wiper and light control. Maybe even cruise control for the heck of it because... ETS2/ATS

Anyway... I'm back from being away for a long time. Hopefully i'll be sticking for a bit again. The Podium series surely looks like sim racing heaven if I let my mind wander into dreaming lala land. :)

Edit:
Does anyone know how they will handle the wireless data transmission from and to older/current pre-podium series rims?

I thought it was all beta wheels? Alpha's are more like prototypes basically.

I'm lurking but I don't see much chatter, but I wonder what everyone things the Podium series will entail next to the direct drive base itself?

My wishes...
  • Hydraulic pedals
  • Force Feedback H pattern and/or sequential shifter(s)
  • Hydraulic handbrake
  • Fully licensed and functioning rims. I'm thinking along the lines of fully functioning (with all bells and whistles) 1:1 replica of the Porsche 919 Hybrid LMP steering wheel, and similar types of 1:1 replicas for other racing disciplines.
  • Finally some steering wheel stalks for easy indicator, wiper and light control. Maybe even cruise control for the heck of it because... ETS2/ATS

Anyway... I'm back from being away for a long time. Hopefully i'll be sticking for a bit again. The Podium series surely looks like sim racing heaven if I let my mind wander into dreaming lala land. :)

Edit:
Does anyone know how they will handle the wireless data transmission from and to older/current pre-podium series rims?
Connection is still the same it's just wireless from the wheel to internal circuit board rather than a slip ring or external coiled wire.

Connection is still the same it's just wireless from the wheel to internal circuit board rather than a slip ring or external coiled wire.

Uh, I hate to break it to you but non of the wheel rims I own have a wireless transmitter in them.
Than there is also the issue of supplying power to the wheel rim to activate its transmitter if it would have one. Even in the case there is a wireless module in the base side's quick release it would still need power through something that rotates infinentely.

So again I am curious how this exactly will be overcome, and Thomas said it would be wireless so yeah... no idea.

Uh, I hate to break it to you but non of the wheel rims I own have a wireless transmitter in them.
Than there is also the issue of supplying power to the wheel rim to activate its transmitter if it would have one. Even in the case there is a wireless module in the base side's quick release it would still need power through something that rotates infinentely.

So again I am curious how this exactly will be overcome, and Thomas said it would be wireless so yeah... no idea.
The power is also wireless, how do you think the the standard Porsche rim shown has been working exactly, magic?! :P

The connection pins are identical as they have already said, the only difference is unlike the other wheels which internally are attached via a wire because they have limited rotation is that wire is replaced by a wireless system for unlimited rotation.

In other words:

Wheel Rim --> Base --> Internal Wire --> Circuit Board

To:

Wheel Rim --> Base --> Wireless --> Circuit Board

The actual rim will not be wireless just the internals on the base.

I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if it is mentioned or not but is the motor a stepper or a servo motor?

I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if it is mentioned or not but is the motor a stepper or a servo motor?
Fanatec
Motors:
We looked at the current motors on the market and there was nothing which really fulfilled our requirements. Those industrial motors were not designed for simracing. Steppers and hybrid steppers deliver a way too notchy feeling for a hardcore product, no matter how good you tweak the software. Also other servo motors are always a compromise. Therefore we developed complete custom servo motors where we decided about what speed, torque, size, power consumption, pricing etc. we need.

The power is also wireless, how do you think the the standard Porsche rim shown has been working exactly, magic?! :P

The connection pins are identical as they have already said, the only difference is unlike the other wheels which internally are attached via a wire because they have limited rotation is that wire is replaced by a wireless system for unlimited rotation.

In other words:

Wheel Rim --> Base --> Internal Wire --> Circuit Board

To:

Wheel Rim --> Base --> Wireless --> Circuit Board

The actual rim will not be wireless just the internals on the base.

Yeah well... a meme says it all...

bucket

On a more serious note. I just didn't know that induction like that of QI wireless charging (or that of your electric toothbrush) would work reliable enough with high rotational speeds, as in that it might cause power fluctuations. Although nothing some capacitors might be able to smooth out I guess.

Very nice!

If we don’t hear anything by November 15th then there won’t be any news with respect to a release until 2018.

...I just made that up, but it does make a little sense, doesn’t it?

If we don’t hear anything by November 15th then there won’t be any news with respect to a release until 2018.

...I just made that up, but it does make a little sense, doesn’t it?
ea3

:D

EDIT: Shall I get this DD wheel or wait for the Thrustmaster DD wheel?

I'm intrigued by this new Fanatec DD wheel. But I have to be honest that I don't really feel good about the reliabitly issues of the Fanatec products.

Last edited:
Shall I get this DD wheel or wait for the Thrustmaster DD wheel?

I'm intrigued by this new Fanatec DD wheel. But I have to be honest that I don't really feel good about the reliabitly issues of the Fanatec products.
There wont be a DD wheel from Thrustmaster.
There were rumors that the now called T-GT is a DD wheel but those rumors were not true as that's just a PS4 compatible TS-PC version.

Shall I get this DD wheel or wait for the Thrustmaster DD wheel?

The T-GT wheel was rumoured to be DD but that didn't materialise. And when you talk about reliability just check a few of the T-GT threads on here to see how the reliability of the pedals that come with the T-GT are not exactly fantastic.

Back