Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,717 comments
There wont be a DD wheel from Thrustmaster.
There were rumors that the now called T-GT is a DD wheel but those rumors were not true as that's just a PS4 compatible TS-PC version.
The T-GT wheel was rumoured to be DD but that didn't materialise. And when you talk about reliability just check a few of the T-GT threads on here to see how the reliability of the pedals that come with the T-GT are not exactly fantastic.
Okay, thanks for the heads up. Appreciated!

I read about the T-GT wheel not being a DD-wheel although Kazunori Yamauchi hinted that I was a DD-wheel and the fact that it was mentioned in this thread about a Thrusmaster DD-wheel, that's why I thought that Thrustmaster was developing a DD-wheel as well.

This means that I have to put my suspicion concerning the reliability fo the Fanatec products aside and go with the Fanatec DD-wheel.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. Appreciated!

I read about the T-GT wheel not being a DD-wheel although Kazunori Yamauchi hinted that I was a DD-wheel and the fact that it was mentioned in this thread about a Thrusmaster DD-wheel, that's why I thought that Thrustmaster was developing a DD-wheel as well.

This means that I have to put my suspicion concerning the reliability fo the Fanatec products aside and go with the Fanatec DD-wheel.
I think every manufacturer has their horror stories it's difficult to tell if those horror stories are widespread or not. For what it's worth I've had four Fanatec wheels, five different Fanatec pedal sets, I own three different wheels rims and a handbrake. I've never had a Fanatec product go faulty on me, touch wood.

Yeah well... a meme says it all...

bucket

On a more serious note. I just didn't know that induction like that of QI wireless charging (or that of your electric toothbrush) would work reliable enough with high rotational speeds, as in that it might cause power fluctuations. Although nothing some capacitors might be able to smooth out I guess.

Very nice!
Yeh, not sure on the exact system, it will be fun finding out though but I'm sure it's going to get some serious testing as it's something that needs to be bulletproof. At the very least it will be cheaper and more reliable than a slip ring which based on Accuforce completely dropping for a coiled wire just aren't worth it as they wear out regardless.

If we don’t hear anything by November 15th then there won’t be any news with respect to a release until 2018.

...I just made that up, but it does make a little sense, doesn’t it?
I've got my fingers crossed for an inbox message saying I've been chosen to beta test but knowing my luck (and/or other people being better qualified) it's not going to happen. I've already located a welder to reinforce my NLR rig though for when I do get one.

I considered getting an RSeat RS1 but the add-on prices for basic things and delivery cost, along with not including VAT really make it far too expensive. I might get a aluminium sim lab p1 rig but right now being able to detach the wheelstand portion is very useful as I use my rig as the main HT chair right in the middle of the room.

Yeh, not sure on the exact system, it will be fun finding out though but I'm sure it's going to get some serious testing as it's something that needs to be bulletproof. At the very least it will be cheaper and more reliable than a slip ring which based on Accuforce completely dropping for a coiled wire just aren't worth it as they wear out regardless.

I've got my fingers crossed for an inbox message saying I've been chosen to beta test but knowing my luck (and/or other people being better qualified) it's not going to happen. I've already located a welder to reinforce my NLR rig though for when I do get one.

I considered getting an RSeat RS1 but the add-on prices for basic things and delivery cost, along with not including VAT really make it far too expensive. I might get a aluminium sim lab p1 rig but right now being able to detach the wheelstand portion is very useful as I use my rig as the main HT chair right in the middle of the room.

F Inferno, I put my name in for the hell of it for the beta and afterwards I was embarrassed that I did. I am no where's qualified to beta test anything and it would have been a disservice to the beta process! Therefore, I wasn't really waiting with baited breathe.

I do have the RSeat N1 and I love it, but I know that cost is king. Additionally I dig the P1, a lot. Solid and the extruded aluminum is great.

F Inferno, I put my name in for the hell of it for the beta and afterwards I was embarrassed that I did. I am no where's qualified to beta test anything and it would have been a disservice to the beta process! Therefore, I wasn't really waiting with baited breathe.

I do have the RSeat N1 and I love it, but I know that cost is king. Additionally I dig the P1, a lot. Solid and the extruded aluminum is great.
I just have a ton of time on my hands at the minute so whilst I have no experience of other DD wheels I have used simvibe for my buttkicker to know what their software looks/feels like functionality wise and I could go hard on testing it's reliability.

In terms of feel though I'm probably less like other sim racers in that I don't dial in FFB per car to all feel the same because I've driven enough cars to know they don't all feel anything like each other. If a particular car has terrible FFB feel and I've not personally driven it I just assume it must provide terrible feedback in real life too.

How often on Top Gear did you hear the guys talk about how a car felt dead and lifeless because of all the electronic aids so it can't just be me!

Unfortunately they don't sell the N1 here which is what I originally looked for but given the RS1 cost it would have been well over £1500 and at that point it's just silly money. Do they ship preassembled on a palet crate of something because the delivery cost is monumental and NLR do it free?

I think it's also more expandable when you think about possible data throughput. With a slip ring you can only have so much lines available to you.
One thing is for sure and that is that less moving parts will improve durability. I can still remember the issue during CSWv1 days where the wire would touch the circuit board either damaging the wire or the circuitboard components.

Personally I think this will be indeed more of a thing to smooth out software wise during beta testing than that there will be hardware issues. Unless there will be interference issues of the wireless signal in some homes/setups.

I think any of the beta testers will be lucky and do a great job, but don't hold it against them if they fail to notice something. Even big QA teams of big game titles like Forza or Gran Turismo still fail to see certain things that the masses end up taking note of. So there is only so much you can do as a company with all these complexities that we have nowadays.

Perfect scenario:
  • @Fanatec... DD wheel
  • A 4DOF motion simulator on three wheels which can turn endlessly (rotation). This motion sim is able to turn at least 360° before the cables gets in the way.
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Occulus Rift or a triple monitor setup.
  • shifter, handbrake and perfect pedals.
  • buttkicker

I just have a ton of time on my hands at the minute so whilst I have no experience of other DD wheels I have used simvibe for my buttkicker to know what their software looks/feels like functionality wise and I could go hard on testing it's reliability.

In terms of feel though I'm probably less like other sim racers in that I don't dial in FFB per car to all feel the same because I've driven enough cars to know they don't all feel anything like each other. If a particular car has terrible FFB feel and I've not personally driven it I just assume it must provide terrible feedback in real life too.

How often on Top Gear did you hear the guys talk about how a car felt dead and lifeless because of all the electronic aids so it can't just be me!

Unfortunately they don't sell the N1 here which is what I originally looked for but given the RS1 cost it would have been well over £1500 and at that point it's just silly money. Do they ship preassembled on a palet crate of something because the delivery cost is monumental and NLR do it free?

In the States it was crazy to think how reasonable my shipping was. If memory serves it was $60, regardless of weight and the N1 came in two boxes and may have wieghed, again if memory serves me, 120 KG.

Well, their most recent blog post had this:

It doesn't tell us anything new unfortunately.
Damit guess we will have to wait , im in the market for a new wheel this may be what im after . Just hoping it not to far north of the $1500 mark.
Thanks for info to mate its appreciated.

Damit guess we will have to wait , im in the market for a new wheel this may be what im after . Just hoping it not to far north of the $1500 mark.
Thanks for info to mate its appreciated.

Yeah, I'm also waiting for it since my wheel broke a couple months ago. Hopefully we will get at least a launch window soon.

The base model should be around the same as the Accuforce 'your way' base with a quick release which is $988, my bet is they'll target keeping it under $1000 at $999 + BMW rim puts you at $1249, $50 under the Accuforce V2 'complete'.

Based on what Thomas has said at least but I'd also say it could potentially be up to $1249 for the base model if you also factor in OSW prices.

The base model should be around the same as the Accuforce 'your way' base with a quick release which is $988, my bet is they'll target keeping it under $1000 at $999 + BMW rim puts you at $1249, $50 under the Accuforce V2 'complete'.

Based on what Thomas has said at least but I'd also say it could potentially be up to $1249 for the base model if you also factor in OSW prices.
Thanks mate , i also believe they are doing a full accessories range pedals shifter and handbrake in the podium range. That could get bloody expensive.
Regardless it should be very interesting to see this range

Weird how utterly silent it has been since October/November.

EDIT: I mean with respect to actually news about it, as opposed to "We are coming out with a DD wheel in 2018, yada-yada."
When did they announce it sep 16th been over 4 months .even a slightest update to keep the hype going or a pre order , would be nice.

When did they announce it sep 16th been over 4 months .even a slightest update to keep the hype going or a pre order , would be nice.

I know, right, DH?

There was the simpac convention in Europe with video and test drives (sorry, I can't remember when) and then no solid news since.

I don't need it to come out tomorrow. I don't even need a hard date. However, an update would be nice.

I will loose patience soon, and spend my money on a OSW, if we don't get any news on the Podium series shortly.

Fanatec, please throw us a bone...

I already broke and got an Accuforce V2 in the Black Friday sales as it was clear no news was coming soon. Also got a custom wheel which means no going back now, will swap out my V3 pedals soon too as the build quality on everything I’ve upgraded is much higher than Fanatec.

Consumer vs. Industrial parts essentially, not to say Fanatec isn’t good quality but it’s not as hardwearing. Take the bolts they use for example, I’ve had a number of them thread because they are made from some cheap soft aluminium like you’d get in a kids mechano set. The final straw was the locking bolt on the quick release getting jammed into the wheel meaning I couldn’t take the wheel off!

Only thing I’d upgrade to now would be a Bodnar wheel but still interested to see what they bring to the table as more competition is always good for the market.

I will loose patience soon, and spend my money on a OSW, if we don't get any news on the Podium series shortly.

Fanatec, please throw us a bone...
Im not angry with fanatec, although some information would be nice. But during the time ive searched endlessly for info on the poduim, my search has led me down a different path now.the more reasearch i do the more im leaning towards an osw.
Time will tell i guess

The thing I'm concerned about regarding the OSW is future compatability. Fanatec is always widely supported on the PC and is always in with a fighting chance of getting console compatible, if they manage to sort out deals with Sony and Microsoft. I have no idea how the SimCube for OSW works or how it achieves compatibility with nearly all PC sims, so if anyone cares to explain, please go ahead.

The thing I'm concerned about regarding the OSW is future compatability. Fanatec is always widely supported on the PC and is always in with a fighting chance of getting console compatible, if they manage to sort out deals with Sony and Microsoft. I have no idea how the SimCube for OSW works or how it achieves compatibility with nearly all PC sims, so if anyone cares to explain, please go ahead.
I may be way off the mark here so please dont take what i say as fact its just a wild guess , but im assuming its like how they do plug ins for motion simulators or something like that anyways.

Ok Fanatec rep, I know you chime in from time to time- tax refund season is approaching and I'm chompin' at the bit for a new wheel. Either let the community know when the Podium goes up for pre-oreder soon, or a lot of potential customers are going to turn elsewhere for a DD wheel.

No point in asking, news will come when it comes, I already tried before getting the Accuforce in the BF sales just for private info on specs relative to the competition.

Anyway what I’d recommend is if you don’t have a very sturdy rig spend your money there first because you’ll need it for DD.

DD steering wheels are overrated.
Wheels are so overrated, they take up so much room, they’re heavy and who wants to move their whole arms to steer!

With a controller I get rumble, I only have to move my thumb and fingers and when I’m done, can put it easily in a drawer :rolleyes:.

No point in asking, news will come when it comes, I already tried before getting the Accuforce in the BF sales just for private info on specs relative to the competition.

Anyway what I’d recommend is if you don’t have a very sturdy rig spend your money there first because you’ll need it for DD.
It never hurts to ask.

Back