Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,717 comments
Thank you for the reply Dom.

Can you tell me at what temperature is too hot for the motor and driver? Or does the wheelbase never get to that temperature.

I typically find the driver goes up to 60 degrees. I am wondering is that too hot with longer durations of simulation.

Thanks

after updated 352 , my driver temp up to 102 during idle , but it will down to 92-94 during playing ... lol

Is anyone else having problems with their P1 rim (PS4 version) when connecting it to the PS4 DD1? I'm using driver 356 and when I attach the rim, the lights constantly flicker and the rim doesn't shift like normal. I'm hoping the next driver release addresses this.

Keith.

Is anyone else having problems with their P1 rim (PS4 version) when connecting it to the PS4 DD1? I'm using driver 356 and when I attach the rim, the lights constantly flicker and the rim doesn't shift like normal. I'm hoping the next driver release addresses this.

Keith.
Hi Keith, there shouldn't be anything specific to driver 356 that changes the behaviour of the P1 wheel, so what you're describing sounds like a hardware connection issue. Please ensure that the wheel is correctly seated on the quick release. If the flickering still occurs please create a support ticket.

Hi Keith, there shouldn't be anything specific to driver 356 that changes the behaviour of the P1 wheel, so what you're describing sounds like a hardware connection issue. Please ensure that the wheel is correctly seated on the quick release. If the flickering still occurs please create a support ticket.

@DomB_Fanatec I'll recheck the connection. However, when I first received the the Podium wheelbase I didn't have this problem. I am not sure as to which firmware and drivers were installed in it when it was delivered, but it worked just fine. This only happened after installing 356. If it matters, I'm sure I have one of the newer wheelbases as mine was delivered the day after Christmas. In addition, if I attach it to the CSL Elite (PS4) wheelbase, it again works fine. But I'll keep testing as I truly don't want to have to send it in.

Question....If I do send it in, does it have to go back to Germany or is there a place stateside I can send it to?

V/R
Keith.

@DomB_Fanatec I'll recheck the connection. However, when I first received the the Podium wheelbase I didn't have this problem. I am not sure as to which firmware and drivers were installed in it when it was delivered, but it worked just fine. This only happened after installing 356. If it matters, I'm sure I have one of the newer wheelbases as mine was delivered the day after Christmas. In addition, if I attach it to the CSL Elite (PS4) wheelbase, it again works fine. But I'll keep testing as I truly don't want to have to send it in.

Question....If I do send it in, does it have to go back to Germany or is there a place stateside I can send it to?

V/R
Keith.
Wheels can require a little more force to push on to the Podium wheel bases compared to the CSL Elite wheel bases due to the expandable rubber gasket on the base-side QR (it helps to apply a small amount of silicone grease).

You can of course revert back to an older driver and firmware to test the theory that the problem is related to 356. I recommend that you remove the wheel before installing older firmware (and it is important to ensure both the base and motor driver firmwares are installed).

If you have to go through an RMA process, repairs/diagnostics are handled by our technicians based in the US, you don't have to send hardware to Germany.

I think Barry is trying to hide new Fanatec Podium QR:

pPq8fbm.png

aDaR5eJ.png

Correct if I'm wrong.;)

Last edited:
It might look like this: 21:00
Podium qr11.jpg
Podium qr22.jpg

but at 1:00:55 it looks very 3D printed, and in the same color as he printed the Z-Ring "QR Flex Reducer": 7s
So I don't think this is from Fanatec, but I hope you're right and that Fanatec will launch it soon :)

Attachments

• Podium qr11.jpg
    Podium qr11.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 23
I have 4 wheels. I hate nothing more than tugging them off this quick release. It's anything but quick.

Would love for it to actually be quick. I don't even care if this is a third party solution.

I have 4 wheels. I hate nothing more than tugging them off this quick release. It's anything but quick.

Would love for it to actually be quick. I don't even care if this is a third party solution.

I have 3 and it was the same for me too, way too tight to exchange wheel rims(felt like I was going to hit my self in the face with a rim), I even tried the o-ring grease Fanatec recommends on their website to help but only works if you are applying grease all the time so instead I saw the sim racing garage video of the Z-ring and decided to print one to test.
Since I installed the z-ring I can change rims very easy, the wheel rims click in like normal and now I don’t have to loosen and tighten the gold nut plus no more grease as well. I’m running my DD1 at 100% and I haven’t notice any wheel rim slipping or any damage to the Z-ring.(SRG was using it on a DD2)

T_M
This looks more promising indeed :)
Looks like some kind of receiver (female) part on the base side ??

it looks like it’s for the people with play in their QRs but it seems it’s 3rd party , if it was from Fanatec I would expect it to be aluminum and golden since it would be for the podium series

Got a Z-Ring yesterday. Took about 5 minutes to install. Works perfectly. Better than I expected.

So much easier to pull off my wheels now, and no more unscrewing, adjusting, and rescrewing in the hand bolt every time you change a wheel.

Even if a new QR is coming some day, the $10 I spent on the Z-Ring was worth it in the meanwhile.

Got a Z-Ring yesterday. Took about 5 minutes to install. Works perfectly. Better than I expected.

So much easier to pull off my wheels now, and no more unscrewing, adjusting, and rescrewing in the hand bolt every time you change a wheel.

Even if a new QR is coming some day, the $10 I spent on the Z-Ring was worth it in the meanwhile.

it works great for that purpose, just make sure if you saw the sim racing garage review video to not install the gold nut at the end like him, he installed it the wrong way according to the creators of the z-ring

Back