Fanatec Reveals Direct Drive ClubSport DD and DD+ Wheel Bases: Available to Pre-Order Now

• Thread starter Famine
  • 497 comments
q5htvsj4kn3c1.png

Apparently, there's a new Gran Turismo licensed wheel coming, bundled with the ClubSport DD+, named Gran Turismo DD Extreme. Allegedly from Fanatec investors call.

Last edited:
q5htvsj4kn3c1.png

Apparently, there's a new Gran Turismo licensed wheel coming, bundled with the ClubSport DD+, named Gran Turismo DD Extreme. Allegedly from Fanatec investors call.
I wish these fools would come out with an all-new F1-style wheel. I love my existing one but it needs to be about 25-35mm larger. I find myself using my McLaren GT3 wheel more often simply because its larger size makes it less tiring. Anyone who has ever seen an actual F1 or IndyCar etc wheel knows it isn't as small as Fanatec's version.

Last edited:
q5htvsj4kn3c1.png

Couldn’t find that on their site but bundle deals featuring the ClubSport DD make sense and I have a feeling the Podium bases will be retired.

Doesn't the GT steering wheel limits the power of the Wheelbase to 8nm even with QR1/QR2 ?
No.
On the plastic quick release 1 there is a pin that pushes a button inside the wheels to signal that "low torque" mode should be used.
If that pin isn't present (and the button not pushed) you can use the "full torque" mode, even with the GT wheel :D

No.
On the plastic quick release 1 there is a pin that pushes a button inside the wheels to signal that "low torque" mode should be used.
If that pin isn't present (and the button not pushed) you can use the "full torque" mode, even with the GT wheel :D

Pretty sure in Podium wheelbases limits in low torque
mode (not sure if it goes down to 8nm though) even with Qr1. The metalic one . The only csl steering wheel (assuming we could categorise the particular steering wheel there) that doesn't limit the power (at least Podium bases) is McLaren gt3 and csl hub with qr1/qr2.

At the moment it is not clear in Fanatec 's site in CS DD/DD+ product description that a csl steering wheel doesn't limit the motor's power . Also no mention yet on csl steering wheels product page about CS DD/DD+

Have you personally tested this steering wheel in a Clubsport DD or DD+?

#edited

Last edited:
Couldn’t find that on their site but bundle deals featuring the ClubSport DD make sense and I have a feeling the Podium bases will be retired.

In the slides, GT DD Extreme is mentioned on page 17, although no picture like the Reddit post.

No.
This is wrong.
Even with a Metal QR attached the Torque on the GT DD PRO steering wheel is limited to Low Torque Mode (8 Nm) on P DD and CS DD.
It is impossible to get High Torque with that wheel, no matter of the used QR (same for CSL P1 and CSL Elite WRC wheels btw).

Even with torque key it is limitedView attachment 1308677

This is wrong.
Even with a Metal QR attached the Torque on the GT DD PRO steering wheel is limited to Low Torque Mode (8 Nm) on P DD and CS DD.
It is impossible to get High Torque with that wheel, no matter of the used QR (same for CSL P1 and CSL Elite WRC wheels btw).
Now I feel like an Idiot ._.
Not just because I was incorrect, but also because I bought the "normal" qr2 for it (to use it on something stronger than the gt dd pro wheelbase)

Is that dude super tall?? it doesnt look like comfortable for tall people
I bought Fanatec's Rennsport cockpit (I think thats what it was called?) like 10 years ago and it was the most awful purchase of that year for me. The seat was designed for people 5'4" or less, it was actually pressing my head and neck forward. While this cockpit doesn't have that problem, it may suffer from another problem of the previous cockpit; I can't lengthen the pedals far enough for my lanky legs. Either generally speaking, or without also moving the wheelbase with it. Not that I'm in the market for a cockpit, but I'll say that guy looks about my size and he's not quite comfortable, lol.

Jerome

I never liked the original wheel. This one looks much much nicer but building a setup with the gear you want is better. I like that they are selling the DD+ stand alone.

I bought Fanatec's Rennsport cockpit (I think thats what it was called?) like 10 years ago and it was the most awful purchase of that year for me. The seat was designed for people 5'4" or less, it was actually pressing my head and neck forward. While this cockpit doesn't have that problem, it may suffer from another problem of the previous cockpit; I can't lengthen the pedals far enough for my lanky legs. Either generally speaking, or without also moving the wheelbase with it. Not that I'm in the market for a cockpit, but I'll say that guy looks about my size and he's not quite comfortable, lol.

Jerome
Yea im 6’3 and i had to make my rig from different companies to get it to work comfortably and ergonomically. I also customized mine with casters so i can easily wheel my rig around if i need to move it…that rig does not (1) look like they considered tall people (2) look like you can conveniently move it (3) look like its worth more than $500

Yea im 6’3 and i had to make my rig from different companies to get it to work comfortably and ergonomically. I also customized mine with casters so i can easily wheel my rig around if i need to move it…that rig does not (1) look like they considered tall people (2) look like you can conveniently move it (3) look like its worth more than $500
I seriously wish there was a rig that's clearly best, is simple to assemble and features a wide variety of easy adjustments on the fly. There may be one, but I don't know which one it is. I had Trak Racer's big TR160 (I think that's the model) aluminum profile rig (still do, actually, looking to sell it soon) and while it was pretty great once I finally had it all dialed in, my god was it a project and a half to figure it all out. Doesn't help that the instructions are utter garbage.

I enjoyed using it for about two years but I just didn't have a good place for it and got tired of sliding it around the house and out of the way when not in use.

Downsized this past spring to the Trak Racer TR8 Pro tubular rig, and I'm like 90-something percent happy with it. I'm 6-1 and I cannot for the life of me figure out what size/proportion people Trak Racer designed this thing and its ergonomics for. It features a slider for the steering mount so you can move it back and forth and adjust the distance, but I have to pull it all the way toward me to get a proper and comfortable position with my arms--and even then it's right on the limit of what feels right. Can't imagine many people except those with incredibly long arms ever actually have a need to move it forward. Likewise, right out of the box, the seat-slider rails are installed in a position that nearly made it impossible for me to even reach the damn wheel. I was utterly perplexed after my initial build ... until I noticed there is another set of mounting holes that let you move the seat rails (and thus the seat) forward a few inches. Of course, the once-again crap instructions don't mention this at all, so it's on you to notice and figure it out. I have no idea why it doesn't come with the rails mounted in those holes rather than the other way around.

This particular rig is marketed as being ready to race within like an hour or so. I can see that being possible for some people, I guess, strictly speaking. But I have had to spend WAY more time than that to eventually get it to a place I really like. And I had to get the add-on pedal slider kit (which has a few of its own issues out of the box) to make it work best, and to allow anyone but me to ever use it. I'm not slagging off Trak Racer whatsoever--I still like the products overall, it's just that in my experience with it and a couple others (my work office used to have a Sim Lab rig, and people were constantly finding ways to knock the seat off the slider rails, rendering it useless till someone had time to fix it), most of these rigs from various companies are just kind of janky to varying degrees. In my opinion, I've had to figure out way too much on my own through trying various adjustments and solutions that I had to sit and ponder before finding an answer. And every time I decide to make a new adjustment, I have to mentally prepare myself for the possibility it's going to be a giant time-consuming PITA LOL

Last edited:
Back