Fanatec Reveals New Official CSL Elite WRC Wheel, Just in Time for WRC 9

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by GTPNewsWire, Sep 4, 2020.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Scaff and super_gt like this.
  2. Gregory Cole

Gregory Cole

Is anyone who already has the P1 wheel going to be getting this one?

3. super_gt

super_gt

I have both steering wheels so if you have a question ask.:)

BuckFly likes this.
  4. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

Short answer: No.
    Long answer: I already have the P1 wheel and this wheel functionality looks no different. The paddle shifters may be re-designed but I highly doubt they are as sophisticated as the new club sport magnetic paddle module or the advanced podium paddle module.
    I recommend getting a hub (clubsport or podium), an aftermarket steering wheel off eBay and clubsport magnetic paddle module. Yes, it’s more expensive overall ($200 + $60 + 100), but you won’t be disappointed. I recently went this route with a 350 mm diameter wheel (prefer GT racing). I have never been more re-energized about sim racing even with the CSL base (weakest). I think the majority of the popular steering wheels are too small, although I used the P1 (280mm) for years. I think the WRC wheel is 300mm which is a tiny step in the right direction. My next aftermarket wheel is on its way (being delivered) and is a whopping 380mm in diameter. I want something for the 1950 & 1960 era cars (GranTurismo).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Sander 001 likes this.
  5. Duessel

Duessel

The P1 wheel is 30 cm. Also there is no change in compare to the WRC wheel.

6. twoskodas

twoskodas

i have the p1 and would have loved to get this wheel ,but there is not enough difference there for me to justify it ,also that tyre mark logo most people buying fanatec are not 12, makes it look abit toyish i think Edit. Having watched a few video’s this has grown on me and the logo is not as bad as I first thought

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  7. davidt33

davidt33

Barry has a nice review of it here. His reviews are quite detailed as usual and excellent.
    Not looking bad actually.

8. twoskodas

twoskodas

Can you tell me if the rim is any thicker than the p1 rim, it does look thicker in the review but I’m not sure ,thanks

super_gt likes this.
  9. super_gt

super_gt

Yes, the WRC rim is thicker than the CSL Elite P1 rim.:)

twoskodas likes this.
  10. twoskodas

twoskodas

Have to admit this rim is Starting to grow on me now, and at half the price of the hub and drift/rally wheel makes good sense

davidt33 and super_gt like this.
  11. Masterbrewww

Masterbrewww

I read "rally wheel fanatec" and was immediately ready to click buy. But then seeing the specs are not even better than the P1 I'm just confused??

It weighs more, has same diameter, same material, same buttons, different but not necessarily better paddles...

12. davidt33

davidt33

Barry of Sim Racing Garage gives the new Simplified Quick Release Adapter high marks though and hopes it will be implemented as a standard in future wheels across the board. He prefers it to the spring loaded quick release, says it's easier to affix to the shaft and remove and secures the wheel much better.

13. DomB_Fanatec

DomB_Fanatec

That's not really accurate... it's a significant refinement over the P1, and most of it is new. The paddles are removable so you can use the static shifters, the grip is thicker, has a new frontplate and backplate design, we changed the button positions (plus one extra button), improved the 5-way directional stick, and introduced a new Simplified QRA which eliminates play and is also exchangeable.

14. super_gt

super_gt

And in addition to this here's a comparison video:

MarcoM likes this.
  15. PJTierney

PJTierney

FYI regarding DiRT Rally 2.0 and this wheel:

tldr: It might work, but not guaranteed as it's not officially supported.

16. twoskodas

twoskodas

That is not great news, fanatec Need to test and clarify this issue

17. super_gt

super_gt

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  18. PJTierney

PJTierney

That lines up with what we're saying too.

The wheel itself isn't officially supported by the game, and it's already too late to implement it for our next update (v1.16 is in a few weeks and already in QA). I don't know if we're planning a 1.17 (the last "planned content" for the game is in 1.16), but at the very least I did pass on the message so make developer(s) aware.

Side-note, players on Xbox might not have this issue since that platform treats Fanatec wheels differently to PlayStation.

[update: We are investigating however]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    super_gt likes this.
  19. Gregory Cole

Gregory Cole

Can you send a pic of your wheel that your are describing above and an itemized list with prices ?

20. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

I’m not selling anything. Or are you interested in the aftermarket wheels I bought to possibly buy off eBay yourself?

7BA13935-5481-4F80-9A84-6A2361E805B3.jpeg F15F975F-63BB-4A38-A8F8-30012E518EB2.jpeg 5649DA85-08AF-47D1-BA3E-7D6BE095D3D7.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    twoskodas likes this.
  21. BuckFly

BuckFly

Fantastic review, as always.

super_gt and davidt33 like this.