Far Cry 5 - Feb 27, 2018

• Thread starter Techy
  • 166 comments
United States
Florida
gtamann123

US region

Key Features:

SPARK THE FIRES OF RESISTANCE AGAINST A FANATIC CULT: Stranded in hostile territory, find strength in the community around you to lead a resistance against a cult taking over Hope County, Montana.

CARVE YOUR OWN PATH: The freedom to go in any direction – you decide the when, the where, and the how. From the moment you enter Hope County you have the freedom to tackle the world in any order you choose.

A WORLD THAT EVOLVES Play your way against Joseph Seed and his fanatical followers in a dynamic open world that adapts and reacts to the choices you make.

DYNAMIC TOYS Tear up the countryside in iconic American vehicles you can make your own; from muscle cars to big rigs,from ATVs to tractors.

Far Cry 5 is planned to release in Feb 27, 2018 on PS4, Xbone, and PC (?)

I loved Far Cry 4 (and mostly enjoyed Far Cry 3, but there were structural issues with the narrative), so I will definitely check this out.

Cover art:

Far_cry_5_cover.png

Apparently the game has character customisation, Fallout 4-style companions who respond to your actions and a wider range of villains compared to previous titles.

I wonder if Hurk will make an appearance? I think the scenario will prove very interesting and it's the creativity of the series that has me coming back each time.

it's the creativity of the series that has me coming back each time
For me it's not so much creativity as it is a willingness to go places that other titles don't, won't or can't. Far Cry 3 was really about challenging the male escapist fantasy of being the hero and saving the girl that dominated the genre by presenting us with a group of people to rescue who were revealed to be not really worth rescuing at all. And Far Cry 4 was all about the nature of tyranny and how we say that we're opposed to it, but don't really know it when we see it by putting us in a scenario where the only way to win was to avoid playing altogether

Compare that to the average Call of Duty game, which amount to "kill these terrorists because they're terrorists (and I heard one of them say your butt looks big)".

formula = formula and that's as far as it goes
Which is my point. Those series wouldn't be capable of doing something daring, like making you the villain. Between the Far Cry series and Ghost Recon Wildlands, Ubisoft appear to be on a bender of interesting storytelling.

VXR
It must be written somewhere, because the formula of FPS rarely strays from actual conflicts or science fiction.
Those are just the AAA titles, the ones that sell big and can have a yearly release because developers can turn them out quickly. Far Cry isn't the only series that did something different - Bioshock went in its own direction, as do the Fallout games. Sure, you can find elements of science fiction in them, but you can also find other genre conventions. For example, I would argue that Bioshock Infinite has more in common with the Gothic genre (and not just because of the final level).

I would even go so far as to say that the entire concept of "genre" is outdated. In the above example, Bioshock Infinite is both Gothic and science fiction. Both are clearly-defined genres, but the game does not definitively fall into either one. And to complicate things further, its narrative does not deal with themes typically addressed by either genre. Instead of "genre", I prefer "style" - a combination of genre conventions, ganeplay structure and the composer's voice. Bioshock Infinite is not science fiction, Gothic or historical fiction, but a combination of all three with a voice that can only be Ken Levine's.

The same goes for Far Cry. The games are open-world first-person shooters that deal with contemporary concerns in fictional worlds with philosophical undercurrent. They act as a representation of an idea; we as an audience are forced to confront an idea that has been presented to us in a different context to what we are used to. In the case of Far Cry 5, we will have to address the relationship between religious fundamentalism, radical populism and grassroots political separatism. While we usually discuss such concepts in the context of Islamic extremism, Far Cry 5 repositions them to the American heartland. It's no conicidence that Montana was chosen for the setting; the developers point to it as existing on the frontier - where civilisation ends and the untamed wilderness begins. So I suspect that Far Cry 5 will be a contemporary Western, critically examining the lives and decisions of people living on the threshold between civilisation and the uncharted, murky depths of modern society.

...Bioshock Infinite is not science fiction, Gothic or historical fiction, but a combination of all three...
As Science Fiction can be set at any time in history, it can still be called SF - though I think Steam Punk might be a more apt sub-genre.

Agree that FarCry puts the player in an environment of moral dilemmas. I enjoyed Brink for exactly that reason, you play as both security forces and as the subversive uprising in different playthroughs of the game. It got panned of course, as it wasn't CoD.

VXR
It must be written somewhere, because the formula of FPS rarely strays from actual conflicts or science fiction.
Written in the Book of Convenience: chapter 5 section II :)

Apparently it's a fake petition (why you would create a fake petition is beyond me), but it seems that there is a second, genuine one out there calling for the Christian fundamentalist villains to be recast as Muslims.

They decry special snowflakes, but fail to see the irony in themselves being special snowflakes.
Or the fact that their actions create a need for the game to be made.

Or the fact that their actions create a need for the game to be made.

I assure you, no game developer is going to be brave enough to condemn these mother****ers to the dustbin of history they belong in.

Though if there is one company I do trust with at least trying to make an effort in condemning them, Ubisoft is definitely the one.

I assure you, no game developer is going to be brave enough to condemn these mother****ers to the dustbin of history they belong in.
Oh, I have no doubt about that.

Though if there is one company I do trust with at least trying to make an effort in condemning them, Ubisoft is definitely the one.
I'm in two minds about whether they should respond. On the one hand, they clearly want to address certain key ideas and so can use the game as a platform for discussion. But on the other hand, I believe that a text should speak for itself - you don't need the composers to offer any further insight because the text already says everything on the subject.

Plenty of DLC and that season pass is pretty damn cheap, so that's pre-ordered. I like the idea of re-encountering Vaas again in the FC3 reworking. It'll make a good change of pace from the main game.

I thought that the fundamentalist whining about this game was pretty funny and blind on their part, as always. They seem to forget that the villains in this game are a fictional cult, and that one of the companions/heroes is a priest. Christianity is portrayed on both sides of the moral coin here, and as someone who considers myself Christian, I'll certainly look into picking this one up.

Some people nowadays seem to have trouble distinguishing hate speech and storytelling, and it's disturbing.

Far Cry 5 is going to flop.
You are completely entitled to your own opinion, but saying it's going to flop before it's even release is a bit harsh.

It might flop, or it might be one of the best games of the year. We simply don't know yet.

Far Cry 5 is going to flop. I want a complete remake of Far Cry 2!!!
It just looks like Wildlands but with a different skin, As with everything Ubi touches these days they seem hellbent on destroying every franchise they have (AC seems to be the exception with Origins being decent) Really hope this is good but after how stunning 3 was and then the games that followed i have no hope for this.

It just looks like Wildlands but with a different skin, As with everything Ubi touches these days they seem hellbent on destroying every franchise they have (AC seems to be the exception with Origins being decent) Really hope this is good but after how stunning 3 was and then the games that followed i have no hope for this.
Far Cry 4 and FC: Primal were fine games, even improving on 3 in some ways.

I see the white supremacist extremist lobby is busy already - though it does seem a bit too rabid to be actually true:

https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-cancel-far-cry-5

GameWhinge at Change
the continued rejection of romantic partners when they find out our hobby

Ah, I get it :D

More concerningly:

GamerWhinge at Change
Just change the villains to something more realistic. Islam is on the rise in America, as is the violence of inner city gangs.

The horrendous conflation aside... I wonder if they realise that they're in charge of their own rights and could just avoid buying the game?

Far Cry 4 and FC: Primal were fine games, even improving on 3 in some ways.

And so was Wildlands. Still one of my favourite open words ever - massive, beautiful and very varied. I also happened to enjoy the gameplay (although I haven't finished it and "only" put in around 40 hours).

Back