Far Cry 5 - Feb 27, 2018

• Thread starter Techy
  • 166 comments
And so was Wildlands. Still one of my favourite open words ever - massive, beautiful and very varied. I also happened to enjoy the gameplay (although I haven't finished it and "only" put in around 40 hours).
Never played that one (or any of its predecessors) for some reason, they never appealed. I'd imagine FC5 though would be less varied with regard to terrain.

And so was Wildlands. Still one of my favourite open words ever - massive, beautiful and very varied. I also happened to enjoy the gameplay (although I haven't finished it and "only" put in around 40 hours).
The world was fantastic, the gameplay average, AI dreadful. It was an ok game but an awful Ghost Recon game.

The world was fantastic, the gameplay average, AI dreadful. It was an ok game but an awful Ghost Recon game.

I felt the AI was remarkably good for a game of this type. Not overly helpful in combat on default settings, but if given fire orders they could be quite effective when you got into a scrap. But most importantly they virtually never ever got in my way, which is pretty rare in a game where you're running around with three AI team mates (or in many games even just one). And the sync shot feature is obviously highly useful.

Never played that one (or any of its predecessors) for some reason, they never appealed. I'd imagine FC5 though would be less varied with regard to terrain.

The world in Wildlands is substantially larger than any Far Cry game - almost certainly one of the largest in any game that's not limited to vehicles (eg. The Crew and Fuel are larger), with Just Cause 2 and 3 being among the very few with larger traversable worlds. You also have many different terrain types in Wildlands, from snowy mountains over swamps and jungle and tropical lake resort areas to canyons and deserts and a huge salt flat where you can practice your 1 km sniper shots.

I felt the AI was remarkably good for a game of this type. Not overly helpful in combat on default settings, but if given fire orders they could be quite effective when you got into a scrap. But most importantly they virtually never ever got in my way, which is pretty rare in a game where you're running around with three AI team mates (or in many games even just one). And the sync shot feature is obviously highly useful.
More the enemy AI thats so awful and basic, it's that AI that if spots you they seem to have 100% accuracy when firing no matter how far away they are or if you get spotted and you get away hide in some tall grass or cornfields at the opposite end where seen and they magically know where you are. It's the same across all Ubi open world games. It's a decent open world title but as a say a poor Ghost Recon title.

More the enemy AI thats so awful and basic, it's that AI that if spots you they seem to have 100% accuracy when firing no matter how far away they are or if you get spotted and you get away hide in some tall grass or cornfields at the opposite end where seen and they magically know where you are. It's the same across all Ubi open world games. It's a decent open world title but as a say a poor Ghost Recon title.

Yes, I guess I agree with you about enemy AI, although it's not really something I have actively paid much attention to.
I think I've only tried one Ghost Recon game before and that was probably close to 15 years ago.

Sync shot in wildlands was way OP. It was way better to play with other humans as it was more challenging.

Sync shot in wildlands was way OP. It was way better to play with other humans as it was more challenging.

I'm certain anyone who's used to playing co-op - particularly with friends - will have more fun, or at least a slightly different type of fun. The only co-op I've played in my life (when I do play multiplayer it's the likes of Battlefield) is a few brief attempts in horde mode shooters and MMORPGs, so I had a great time in Wildlands with the AI team and their moderately effective general skills and extremely effective sync shot.

I'm certain anyone who's used to playing co-op - particularly with friends - will have more fun, or at least a slightly different type of fun. The only co-op I've played in my life (when I do play multiplayer it's the likes of Battlefield) is a few brief attempts in horde mode shooters and MMORPGs, so I had a great time in Wildlands with the AI team and their moderately effective general skills and extremely effective sync shot.
Problem with co-op is that some randoms just don't want to play with. A team of friends or regulars is far better - but I know what you're saying, it's not always easy to keep such a flow going and a good AI experience, like you said before, should always be the main option.

Got this on preorder for PC. Most of Ubis latest games have been pretty awesome (even though some took a year or more to get there, e.g. The Division) and this one is looking to be awesome too 👍

FC2 remaster would be decent. I only played part of it before I got bored and died of malaria. Took ages to get around the map too. I played the multiplayer quite a lot till that eventually died too.
Never tried Farcry 1.

I want Far Cry back to Africa.

I'd love a remaster of FC2. I found the in game world to be quite atmospheric. Quite dark and uncertain-you never knew what was gonna happen next. Not to mention the soundtrack really suited the game very well.

Really looking forward to Far Cry 5. Looks like fun. Its a different premise to have the game set a in America rather then in a far away exotic land.

Im just annoyed it comes out on Tuesday here and I wont be able to get my hands on a copy til Thursday due to the stores not being open when I knock off work.

Definitely a FarCry game alright. Going to be spending a full day on it tomorrow and only had a little while getting to know it today. Some very nice touches as additions to the usual pattern (just try and walk away from a side quest giver once you've interacted with them and you'll see what I mean.) Nice extra aiming movement too. Great visuals and with the extras, so much to do.

Plenty of character customisation options too, both male and female.

Definitely a FarCry game alright. Going to be spending a full day on it tomorrow and only had a little while getting to know it today. Some very nice touches as additions to the usual pattern (just try and walk away from a side quest giver once you've interacted with them and you'll see what I mean.) Nice extra aiming movement too. Great visuals and with the extras, so much to do.

Plenty of character customisation options too, both male and female.
The lack of progress save(I know some things save) for the player helping you in co-op is kind of offputting, but aside from that, how is the multiplayer aspect? Me and some friends were really contemplating getting it, but saw that the story only allowed 2 player co-op.

The lack of progress save(I know some things save) for the player helping you in co-op is kind of offputting, but aside from that, how is the multiplayer aspect? Me and some friends were really contemplating getting it, but saw that the story only allowed 2 player co-op.
I've not tried the co-op or MP yet, so unfortunately I have no news for you on that score - nor am I likely to be going into that area just yet (not advisable for me) so sorry about that. Hopefully someone else will chip in shortly.

Having bought the Gold Edition, I think the DLC campaigns will be coming at a later date; certainly the re-master of FC3 isn't due until 'the summer'.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...unch-dlc-aims-to-turn-the-series-on-its-head/

I played for a couple of hours last night and Im enjoying what Im seeing so far. The in game world is absolutely stunning. The view from the radio tower on the first island is wondrous. Ive only done a handful of missions but Im mainly just exploring and seeing what I bump into. Haven't encountered a lot of wildife yet except for a cougar that killed me haha. Im liking the random NPCs you encounter who ask you to help them with stuff-that part seems better implemented then previous FC games.

I'm on the fence with regards to FC5. Granted - I knew that it would be a later down the line game considering I didn't like FC4 alongside the release of Burnout Paradise Remastered and MLB The Show 18. However, Austin Walker's review of the game on Waypoint really does get down to some of the things I've been feeling about the game not only since launch, but especially since they did that sort of turn on the game's tone:

This speaks to a deeper problem, albeit one that emerges from the same central flaw of being stretched too thin: Thematically, Far Cry 5 is such an inconsistent mess of ideas that there is hardly a recognizable through line at all. Instead, the game gestures towards ambiguity as if looking for a shield to save itself with.

This is a game that undeniably knows that Donald Trump is president, but cannot decide if that fact should be punchline or key plot device. When, in two different scenes, cult leaders make oblique references to “America’s leadership” or the failures of the person “who’s in charge” as proof of the American empire’s final days, the game reaches for sincere relevance. But an hour later, you’ll be recovering the notorious piss tape from a Russian spy in a pun-filled quest.

In some moments, it feels as if Far Cry 5 wants to take a neutral position and represent some true complexity of rural America. Take, for instance, the fact that various characters will speak to their various opinions about the country’s gun culture, with some disappointed in our addiction to assault rifles and others “not getting the big deal” about guns.

Yet when facing more obviously troubling truths, like the racism and xenophobia that swept Trump into office, Far Cry 5 hedges its bets. Mission after mission, NPC after NPC, there is a sense throughout the game that Ubisoft wants to make sure you're laughing along with them regardless of why you're laughing.

Look, frankly, a lot of people are going to make FC5 into something it is, or isn't. It's going to be twisted in various ways, and that's really due to the fact that it is so laissez-faire with it's politics. The fact of the matter is, this would have been the perfect opportunity for Ubisoft, being one of the most inclusive companies out there in an industry that has consistently harbored to cis white males and allowed Gamergate to thrive longer then it should have, to strike back and maybe make something that does, as Austin says in the review, make it seem as though what is coloring the game's story and entire premise seem anything more then a plot point, and not something that can be talked about more then that.

What’s so frustrating about this is that you don’t need to look far from Far Cry 5 to see other games manage to be both funny and thoughtful, or which offer even more content but which retain some central thematic through line. In fact, you don’t even need to leave Ubisoft’s own catalog: 2016’s Watch Dogs 2 had some missteps but its anti-authoritarian ethos was always clear, and rung true across missions both serious and comical. Last year’s Assassin’s Creed Origins is an even bigger game than Far Cry 5, yet it never loses sight of its primary tension: Protagonist Bayek is torn between a quest for personal revenge and a larger responsibility to his community, and the most of quests he takes on relate to one or both of those goals.

Yup, met the cougar @notsofast :lol: Seen a perched eagle but not been attacked by one...yet.

EDIT: Music in the pause menu very reminiscent of the Firefly incidental music.

Last edited:
Tempus fugit! Well, that was fun and surprised me that seven hours had gone by with only a few encounters and some exploration (read: seeing something on the map and thinking: Oooh, that'll be fun!) Talking of the map, it's a nice three-dimensional interactive one that you can pan around and zoom in on in the vertical or lateral.

Far Cry® 5_20180328155700.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328155732.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328160613.png

The UI takes a bit of getting used to, what with the multiple sub-menus where you'll find all your hunting progress and stats, things you've unlocked and skill trees; clothing, vehicle customisation (not done that yet before everyone jumps on me with questions) as well as boats and possibly planes too, as they are in the game.

Far Cry® 5_20180328171820.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328171913.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328172018.png

Hoping I'm not giving too much away when I say there are some fun extras and that one is fishing :lol:

Visuals are a step up from Far Cry Primal which was stunning in its atmosphere. It's a lot lighter as there is naturally less primal forest, but it looks and feels great. You can disable the menu elements whilst in binocular mode which has a reasonable zoom and for the purist, you can disable any or all menu items so you can screenshot away to your heart's desire.

Far Cry® 5_20180328132933.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328132942.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328133003.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328133537.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328134345.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328143939.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328145325.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328145339.png
Far Cry® 5_20180328155102.png

So, plenty to do, big map with loony cultists left, right and centre. The antagonist hasn't got the kind of evil allure that The Jackal, Vaas or Pagan Min had but that may be purposeful and like I said, I've only just begun and had very little dealings with the creepy little fella. here's a picture that might help show what he might well be capable of:

Far Cry® 5_20180328122722.png

Overall, pretty impressive for me - I will add as caveat for those who don't know me; I tend not to get too upset at games if I don't like them and can see something positive in most that I've played. Having said that, I can see myself enjoying this one for a while.

...The fact of the matter is, this would have been the perfect opportunity for Ubisoft, being one of the most inclusive companies out there in an industry that has consistently harbored to cis white males and allowed Gamergate to thrive longer then it should have, to strike back and maybe make something that does...
With the recent pipe-bombs and anthrax attacks, maybe they didn't fancy painting a target on themselves for the radical nut-jobs to attack. That's a guess and I know they're in Canada - but they do have offices and therefore staff in CA; so that's a possibility. I also haven't played enough to say either way if the reviewer's comments are valid or not but so far what has been said hasn't got in the way of the story.

Last edited:
Helicopter is a blast and great for taking camps out (well, only tried one so far and that went pretty well.) Plenty of vehicle variety and some nice cross-over game costumery available. Still faffing about doing whatever I fancy - it will drop you into a forced mission at a certain point, so fair warning folks.

Easily one of my favorite FC games already. 👍 There's so much to do it's easy to lose track and spend a lot of time doing absolutely nothing. :lol:
Yep, even when focused on simply getting from A to B over a short distance, on a quiet back road, something will crop up or happen.

The game is great so far, I'm not very far into the story at all but keep getting distracted. Bashing people over the head with a shovel is too fun :lol:.
My initial reaction, looking at the map, does it seem small? Doesn't look like there would be many outpost etc.
Maybe I am being harsh but I recall FC4 having a bigger map.

I watched the first 15 to 20 minutes of the game and it looks pretty intense. I might be interested in picking this up if I can free up some time to play.

Easily one of my favorite FC games already. 👍 There's so much to do it's easy to lose track and spend a lot of time doing absolutely nothing. :lol:

Me too. I had Peaches the cougar with me and a with an M60 machine gun we just rolled around the forest bumping into strangers doing random stuff. I notice that if you follow the traders around they attract trouble so if you want action then find one of them.

So I’ve unlocked all three animal companions. Does anyone the controls for Xbox for commands for animals/guns for hire? The ingame control menu isn’t that clear and whoever made the loot button the same as swap weapons button was taking the mick. So annoying.

I've been completely hooked since release day. I loved Far Cry 3 and Primal but didn't care at all for 4 (mostly because I found the game world unusually bland). FC5 however is likely my favourite so far - one of the most beautiful and detailed open game world yet (even if it lacks the biome diversity of something like another favourite of mine, Ghost Recon Wildlands), some good improvements to item, exploration and skill progression, as well as the same or slightly improved combat from the previous games, along with more vehicular combat options and the companion system.

I don't feel like the story is as compelling as in FC3 (I think I still have quite a lot of it to see in FC5 though, I've spent a good chunk of my 20 hours doing random non-story stuff), but good enough and story has never been the main draw of this series anyway.

Also the inability to travel on roads without constant enemy barrages can get a bit annoying over time (although it certainly alleviates boredom), but I enjoy running through woods and fields where the engagements are a little further apart. Or flying above in a helicopter or plane.

That's what I thought initially as well, but I was wrong: FC5 map is bigger. 👍
Yeah, I would have said that FC4's map was bigger - interesting. FC5 certainly feels big enough, having tracked down those lighters yesterday and flying to each one took me a good few hours overall. No artificial barriers to keep me out of the different areas, which is good.

I agree @notsofast that a different button for swap weapon could have been used, especially as combat sites tend to get 'busy' with all manner of randoms turning up to make your business theirs.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back