Fast Racing Neo (WiiU)

• Thread starter MeanElf
  • 61 comments
This looks utterly fantastic.

The key to a good AG Racer is a steady online community, it is one of the (many) reasons that WipEout HD was my favorite PS3 game. Hopefully it finds a good home from those licking the wounds of Studio Liverpool being dissolved and F-Zero being DOA.

Wipeout? You mean F-Zero, son!

Anyway, I'm down for this.

I still have a stack of racing games I should finish before getting a new one, but heck..... none of them were high-speed racing.

Wipeout? You mean F-Zero, son!
Never played F-Zero but I based my thought on the feel and look of the ships from Wipeout Fusion, especially the jungle and open section.

Did F-Zero come before Wipeout Fusion? Like I say, I wasn't even aware of it until this week :)

EDIT: I see that it did, still, I hold by my Wipeout comment ;)

I've always thought F-zero captured high speed the best and WipEout captured the actual feeling of Anti-Gravity better.

I actually feel the high speed aspect of F-ZERO X and GX was kind of gimmicky, and of all anti-grav racers, I enjoy the first F-ZERO the most. I hope FRN has enthralling track design and nice physics, and doesn't simply lean on zOMGFAST!!1! for its excitement and challenge.

As for the Wipeout series, I never got used to the way the crafts handle, but as a Nintendo kid, I didn't spend a lot of time with the games. I also prefer clean racing over weapons and items, so personally, I'm relieved that FRN lacks missiles and laser blasts and such.

I don't think a developer could make an item system as robust as Studio Liverpool's WipEout HD so I share your feeling of relief! :)
I actually feel the high speed aspect of F-ZERO X and GX was kind of gimmicky, and of all anti-grav racers, I enjoy the first F-ZERO the most. I hope FRN has enthralling track design and nice physics, and doesn't simply lean on zOMGFAST!!1! for its excitement and challenge.

As for the Wipeout series, I never got used to the way the crafts handle, but as a Nintendo kid, I didn't spend a lot of time with the games. I also prefer clean racing over weapons and items, so personally, I'm relieved that FRN lacks missiles and laser blasts and such.

I also prefer clean racing over weapons and items, so personally, I'm relieved that FRN lacks missiles and laser blasts and such.

I noticed that too and was so relieved there was no mention of weapons.

The last sort of futuristic racer for Nintendo NOT in the F-Zero series that I can remember was Aero Gauge for the Nintendo 64. Though I don't have a lot of F-Zero experience, the WipEout series is still king of futuristic racing games. This game does look great. It looks a bit better than the Flashout games on Android. I'm a bit curious about the PEGI 12 designation. I mean... does this game have any questionable content? Is there blood? Are there curse words stronger than damn and hell? Are there moments too hot for gaming or something equal to the controversial "Hot Coffee" from "GTA: San Andreas?"

This is a game to keep an eye on if you're into futuristic racers.

We've got a release date - next Thursday, December 10th.

original.jpg

That should be just enough time between the two for me to actually play FRN the day it comes out. :lol: Nothing like moonlighting in a futuristic hover racing championship to pass time between BLADE assignments. It's quite fitting.

That should be just enough time between the two for me to actually play FRN the day it comes out. :lol: Nothing like moonlighting in a futuristic hover racing championship to pass time between BLADE assignments. It's quite fitting.
Totally. Don't forget the online racing! :lol:

FAST Racing NEO is crushing the metascore, 82 out of 100 over 8 critics!

General conscensus is that its ridiculously hard, speedy, more like WipEout than F-Zero(Yes!) And importantly fantastic to play.

Who's picking this up today then? I'm looking forward to finishing work and getting set about it.

I completed the subsonic cups and tried most of the first six crafts (then I went back to playing more XCX... :embarrassed: ). I'm very pleased with the physics, and the variety in handling between crafts is great. It seems to be based on weight, and you can feel the difference it makes. The Fulcon is a real pig, and the Kamagori is my favorite so far.

The graphics are of course impressive, and obstacles are telegraphed rather well in spite of all the hectic action and FOV warping. The tracks are impressively well-designed, and the music is good too, possessing more character than the whitebread electronic music I had expected. The AI don't pull punches, and rubberbanding is mild (at least on the player's end); I spent the entirety of one race making up for a mistake that dropped me to last place on lap one. I won each cup my first try, sometimes by points, but faster cups and hero mode (1st place or nothing) may be brutal.

Like the reviews said, it's very thin on options or extras. I hope they flesh out some things with updates, because it's not even as flexible as Mario Kart 8.

I'm gonna spend a lot more time with the game this weekend and see if it continues to impress. :)

So 4 hours and a half played, time for some in-depth thoughts from someone who really likes AG racers.

Gameplay: Very fun, It isn't quite WipEout but nothing much is. I like the lean buttons but feel its missing a side-shift type button combination.the ships handle incredibly well and the fact this is an indie game makes it even better, it makes me embarrassed looking at a lot of other indie titles. This is a true attempt at making a game that stands seperate from F-Zero and WipEout by having its own gameplay techniques. Track design is fairly decent although I've seen better, Alpine Trust is the highlight for me. I enjoy that it doesnt do an F-Zero and just prioritise going ridiculously fast over technical tracks(more WipEout esque). Overall, it plays sublime and its the best handling racing game I've played this gen alongside MK8. Absolute 60fps magic.

Graphics: Very good for what the game is, the lack of AA is absolutely awful though, in clear daylight the game looks really let down. That being said, when racing its ao fast you barely notice. The actual graphical fidelity is incredible, looks like a PS4 game at times.

Presentation: Straight forward and to the point. I love it, the actual ships and overworld isn't great(better than F-Zero in my opinion but not WipEout's amazing lore). Online wise I completely understand locking the speed online to subsonic, the Wii U has a small install base and this game will have a relatively small consistant player field over time. By not encouraging segregation by speed, races will be easier to find.

Overall, I'm loving it. Its everything I wanted and expected from it thus far. The longevity looks to be there too but time will tell.

I 100%'d the campaign today which involved getting a gold for every single cup. Setting my sights on Time Trial now! :D

Also...I may have an addiction:

CWE59haXAAEh2bv.jpg

This game is my sleeper hit of 2015. I expected it to be good, but I never expected it to quench my thirst for an F-Zero GX successor. So many things to like about Fast Racing, where do I even begin? Have to start somewhere anyway:

Unapologetically old school: This game obviously hearkens back to everyone's favorite two anti-grav racers, so I love that Shin'en kept the simplicity, speed and ruthlessness of those games. When I found out it was impossible for me to restart a single race inside of a championship, I was ecstatic. That's the kind of challenge I miss. However...

It's not unfair: Fast Racing doesn't seem to cheat, unlike many arcade racers of the past and present. There's certainly some catchup A.I. at work, which I can forgive in this genre. But I was surprised to find that my number one pet peeve of these kinds of games — the same vehicle winning consecutive races in championships, forcing you to finish first every single time — is not present here. And they'll make mistakes too, as I've seen many computer-controlled opponents get tangled up in boulders, fire vents, giant spider robot legs, which brings me to...

Technically stunning: Wow. 60 frames-per-second, and some of the best visuals I've seen on the Wii U. Yeah, it's running at a low framerate, and there's a lot of flickering, but the fluidity of the gameplay and the plethora visual effects nearly make up for it. This Digital Foundry analysis sheds light on how exactly Shin'en optimized the game for the underpowered console; let's just say they are some very, very smart guys and girls. Regardless, this game oozes style and has "holy s**t" moments around every corner. Reminds me a lot of F-Zero GX in that way...

Fan-service: GX was a landmark title in arcade racing and one of my favorite games of all time — and Fast Racing is a straight up love letter to it. Some of the tracks are set in environments that ape the hell out of circuits in GX, which should be really rewarding to long-time fans. That said, as much as I love GX, there were problems I always had with it. The erratic physics, for one; and also that the tracks seemed to be designed purely to piss the player off, rather than to be fun to drive. Neither of those issues apply to this game. Sacrilege as it may be, I prefer the handling of Fast Racing ten-fold. It strikes a fitting balance between the speed of F-Zero and the nuance and depth of Wipeout. Speaking of Wipeout, I like the team-focused approach to the vehicle selection. Shin'en really understands its audience.

I honestly couldn't be happier. It's beyond what I could have hoped for, which is shocking considering games like Fast Racing don't really exist anymore. But with this being nearly perfect (in my opinion), and 90's Arcade Racer and Formula Fusion on the horizon, perhaps we're seeing the genre make a comeback. Dear god I hope so.

FAST Racing NEO is crushing the metascore, 82 out of 100 over 8 critics!

General conscensus is that its ridiculously hard, speedy, more like WipEout than F-Zero(Yes!) And importantly fantastic to play.
Anyone else seem to notice that official review score averages and user score averages are much closer when it's not a release by a big developer or publisher?

Back