Fatal Bug

• Thread starter Japanese
  • 189 comments
Well, I'm a card collector myself, and my collection is pretty much nearing completion (I'd say I have about 95% of all the cards, 100% in a few brands). My save's size (checked it now) is 2326 kb.

Tried to clear the cache (within GT5) and checked again. Same size, not one byte less.

So, clearing the GT5 cache doesn't solve it.

This post on GTRP is interesting.

I'll paraphrase:
VoPo914
After collecting the daily 10 paint chips and museum cards, as well as two gifted cards: 1 kB increase

5 more gifted cards: 143 kB increase EDIT: these were gifted from a second account on the same PS3)
After visiting the Museum and saving, it grew by a further 1 kB.

Sending one card and 5 paints, the save grew again by 2 kB

Clearly something else is going on... what about the "community" aspects? Things like logs, messages etc. ?

Last edited:
Well, I'm a card collector myself, and my collection is pretty much nearing completion (I'd say I have about 95% of all the cards, 100% in a few brands). My save's size (checked it now) is 2326 kb.

Tried to clear the cache (within GT5) and checked again. Same size, not one byte less.

So, clearing the GT5 cache doesn't solve it.

Impressive, are you after swapping some of your spares for the last few you need? (I'm always on the look out for people to swap spare museum cards with PSN: LutonHatter)

I wonder if this only happens when playing in German? It is a rather verbose langauge and sometimes causes software developers troubles with layout on screen so perhaps this is the trigger.

Is PD already informed of this? Can anyone who speaks Japanese please tweet to Kaz and ask him about this? They seriously have to do something about this!

do not open the museum!
do not open the news!

gt5 has a big trouble

2mm9v9s.jpg

GTRP picture.

Domo arigato from doitsu for having the courage and taking your time to warn gaijins about the GT-5 savegame bug. Sonkei! 👍

It also happened to me (at 4165 kb) but I got a backup of my savegame.

See also here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4752754

It's real and the mod knows. I believe they allow this thread since the benefit outweighs the minor incompliance to the AUP.

Do not read news and especially NOT the museum cards. Clearly game data cache does nothing since this is game save cache. It's been reported on US PlayStation community, EU PlayStation community, and many other PlayStation forums.

There is some advice to shrink the file size in this thread. None seems to work but it worth a try.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=177344

As I said in the other thread on here about this, this bug makes no sense, other games have save files bigger than 4165kb. My FIFA 11 save is above 4400kb and Smackdown vs Raw is over 7700kb, so why does GT5 have this limit when other games don't.

My GT5 file is in the region of 3200kb on my main account, which has lots of museum cards, over 900 paints and about 690 cars, but my file size today is less than it was yesterday. I just can't work out what's going on, it's a strange one alright.

back-up'ping and reloading your save file also seem to be increasing its size by 1 Kb each time or somesuch, avid dupers might end up being hit pretty badly quite soon unless it gets fixed with the next update...

Thanks for the heads up OP. I'll check my save when I get home, as I used check the museum a lot. I'm pretty sure this will be patched, it is quite an issue.

Any chance that people might hold of on the insults until this can be proved or dissporoved? The OP, who is obviously not a native English speaker, might just have done a great service to the community.

Can anybody else confirm or deny this?

Endorsed 👍

i am one the the victims i have my save backed up its at 4164 still loads but if i do anything same problem lost a level and 11 cars cause i hit the dreaded 4165k.I am one of the few people waiting for 1.06. Glad people are making this glitch known but there is a few threads already. I did email Jordan so the gtplanet world knows hoping to rejoin this game after 1.06.

To all those mocking the OP why dont you try it then?
To me its no big deal Ive been to my museum cards once and dont plan to go back - I bought the game to race - not to B-spec - take photos - or collect cards.
But (to the OP) thanks for the heads up ;) and for the efford of trying to warn us in what doesnt seem to be your native language (neither it is mine) ;)

Any chance that people might hold of on the insults until this can be proved or dissporoved? The OP, who is obviously not a native English speaker, might just have done a great service to the community.

Can anybody else confirm or deny this?

It's true, this happened to me and many others when the saved data utility (not the game data utility) reach 4165 KB

"insufficient free space on Hard Disk Drive (HDD). At least 32MB required. Please exit the game and free up some space. 0x00000015 [217]

Here's a thread about it:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=177344

To all gtplanet users:
Make a backup save file before this happens to you!!!

As I said in the other thread on here about this, this bug makes no sense, other games have save files bigger than 4165kb. My FIFA 11 save is above 4400kb and Smackdown vs Raw is over 7700kb, so why does GT5 have this limit when other games don't.

My GT5 file is in the region of 3200kb on my main account, which has lots of museum cards, over 900 paints and about 690 cars, but my file size today is less than it was yesterday. I just can't work out what's going on, it's a strange one alright.

PS3 uses Fat32 file format which has a limitation of 4MB cluster. Your other save files that are bigger than 4MB are actuallt multiple files designed to workaround that environment. Little Big Planet had the same problem at launch.

I read this somewhere else but dismissed it, i do recall a message several weeks ago telling me to clear my cache for some reason or another and how to do so?
There's no smoke without fire.

My save file is 980kbs. Around 300 cars 982 days played in game (if that matters)

I have never duped/traded cars and only went to museum like twice.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to keep an eye on my save size. It's just gone over 1,000KB now.

PS3 uses Fat32 file format which has a limitation of 4MB cluster. Your other save files that are bigger than 4MB are actuallt multiple files designed to workaround that environment. Little Big Planet had the same problem at launch.

That's interesting, especially considering 4 Mb is 4096 kb, which is a common cluster size on FAT32 drives. Unless the PS3 is counting the bytes / bits differently, but it's not in line with the usual 1024 / 1000 mixing.

All I could find on the LBP issue was that there was a 5Mb (ish) limit, but the bug was that the "your profile is too large" error wasn't showing up to warn that the profile hadn't been saved.
Does anyone have any specific info for the LBP save bug?

I think you are confusing cluster size and max file size and then confusing MB with GB...

I don't see how a cluster size would affect file save (as files are made up of multiple custers all the time) and SMALLER cluster size is usually the desireable direction to go anyway as it wastes less space with partially empty clusters. Generally cluster size is determined by overall size of the drive and I don't think I have ever seen someone choose cluster sizes over 512kb.

4MB clusters would mean a LOT of wasted space becuase every 1byte file would waste 3.999999 MB of empty space... you would end up wasting on average 2MB of empty space in a half filled cluster for every single file on your system...

4GB is the max file size of a FAT32 partitioned drive and I suspect what you are thinking of... that would have nothign to do with this problem though...

Last edited:

False, only external drives are limited to Fat32.

What you seem to be referring to is file-size limitation. In which case, Fat32 is limited to 4GB not MB.

This reminds me of the GT2 Machine Test Garage-Eater glitch in a way. Back then, we couldn't run more than - correct me if I'm wrong - 8 tests on the max or 1000 tests without losing the entirety of one's garage. (never happened to me though)

Now, we are barred from the museum on the threat of losing our whole save files!:nervous:

Anyone else agree?

I think you are confusing cluster size and max file size and then confusing MB with GB...

I don't see how a cluster size would affect file save (as files are made up of multiple custers all the time) and SMALLER cluster size is usually the desireable direction to go anyway as it wastes less space with partially empty clusters. Generally cluster size is determined by overall size of the drive and I don't think I have ever seen someone choose cluster sizes over 512kb.

4MB clusters would mean a LOT of wasted space becuase every 1byte file would waste 3.999999 MB of empty space... you would end up wasting on average 2MB of empty space in a half filled cluster for every single file on your system...

4GB is the max file size of a FAT32 partitioned drive and I suspect what you are thinking of... that would have nothign to do with this problem though...

Oops, I fell into the trap... I meant 4 kB is a common cluster size. :dunce:
Looks like the LBP bug is unrelated, too, then.

EDIT: I never lost my garage on GT2, and I spent a lot of time on the machine tests... But mine was a UK PAL copy.

Back