Fatal Bug

• Thread starter Japanese
  • 189 comments
Thanks of clearing Rylan! Game fully installed 24/11 so theres no harm to read every news and museumcards at all. But if there still is problem with those who haven't installed it this should be patched asap.

Isn't there option to make fully installation even now after if not done it on starting game..

Right. Let me explain this;

When GT5 starts up it tells you that it installs Game Data to Disc. You can over-ride this but it warns against it.

If you allow it to install the game data you will not be affected by the bug.

When you access news or the museum the game loads the information from either disc or from the net and, to save time, it caches it so that if you want to view it again in future, it will be quicker. However, with those people who had set it not to install to disc the hard drive wasn't available and it tried to put it in the save game data instead.

Do you allow the game to install? Yes - You do not need to worry.

If that's the case then the OP is misleading and only half true. If what you are saying is right, what about the problem that 4mb save files won't load?

Just because you don't get to a large save file by the way OP states- doesn't mean the problem doesn't exists - so what you say is misleading and only half true.

There is still a problem with large save files being a time-bomb so we still need it fixed regardless. Right? Or not?

Rylan, I appreciate your input and if what you say is true I'm safe. My 2.3 MB is of no concern because I made a full install of the game to the PS3 disc (I think it's 8 GB or thereabouts).

However ... I'll only lay this to rest when I have a clear statement from someone saying this:

"My save file is greater than 4.200 kb and the game loads, no problem!"

Preferably with supporting pictures ;)

It should be near impossible to get that big a file under normal circumstances. There are people with 1500 cars and a large number of replays who are only at the 3.5mb range.

It's only the cached information which is an issue and for anyone who installed the game during a certain period.

Anyone on the latest patch who chooses not to install game data will not have any information from the museum or news section cached in their save file.

There is still a problem with large save files being a time-bomb so we still need it fixed regardless. Right? Or not?
That's unsure because only the people with cached news and museum updates are having issues.

It may be that those who have got larger files with installs aren't a problem.

It should be near impossible to get that big a file under normal circumstances. There are people with 1500 cars and a large number of replays who are only at the 3.5mb range.

It's only the cached information which is an issue and for anyone who installed the game during a certain period.

Anyone on the latest patch who chooses not to install game data will not have any information from the museum or news section cached in their save file.

Well 3.5mb is close enough, especially since GT5 has only been out a few months. I don't care, we still need a fix for the GT5 save file time-bomb..

Even if you install the game and the cache data isn't a problem, won't you still eventually get your save above the limit? This would still be a problem.

It may be that those who have got larger files with installs aren't a problem.

I'm not sure about that either. As others, I'd like to see some proof that is true. I have a feeling it's still a problem from all I've read. It would be nice to have confirmation either way.

Rylan I may be wrong but I think the replays are saved as files, not within the game save. I have many replays saved and some of them are several MB in size. Anyway, I'd need to be at home to be more precise on this.

Rylan I may be wrong but I think the replays are saved as files, not within the game save. I have many replays saved and some of them are several MB in size. Anyway, I'd need to be at home to be more precise on this.

Correct, replays are saved with the game data, not the save data.

I have 320gb ps3 so what's the prob? If you have this bug you better buy a new ps3. If it happens to me, bye bye GT5.. Next game!

IMORTANT!!!!!

BWX
The reason it gets that big seems to be part of the problem.. Reading news and checking out the museum.

I think I'm going to do an experiment doday. I haven't checked out my museum in a long time. I'm going to make note of my game save file size, go into GT5 and check out the museum for a while, read the GT news- look at older GT news, then save game and see what happens to the save game file size.

That should tell me something about this bug right there. I've had GT5 since release.

Ok, I did that and guess what? My save file size went up a lot!

Before:
854kb
737days
6,664,537Cr

AFTER:
1010kb

So what the hell?? I chose to install everything on the HD, my data file is huge.. didn't check but I think it's over 9GB by now.

So this below:
Right. Let me explain this;

When GT5 starts up it tells you that it installs Game Data to Disc. You can over-ride this but it warns against it.

If you allow it to install the game data you will not be affected by the bug.

When you access news or the museum the game loads the information from either disc or from the net and, to save time, it caches it so that if you want to view it again in future, it will be quicker. However, with those people who had set it not to install to disc the hard drive wasn't available and it tried to put it in the save game data instead.

Do you allow the game to install? Yes - You do not need to worry.

That is wrong. My game save data file just got massively larger after a visit to the museum and I set GT5 to install everything to the HD. There is something to this bug even for regular installations obviously.

I think one of the issues the OP tried to highlight (might not have come across in translation) is that *scrolling down through all the cards* for each manufacturer (i.e. whether you have the photos or not -- just viewing the text for every card) seems to increase the savedata file size. He also seems to say that doing this multiple times (even though it's the same data each time) still increases the file size each time you do it. Do it 14 times and the save data size hits this critical value of 4MB or so.

My save data is about 1800kB now (game data is nearly 10GB after having install-to-HD set since Day 1). I regularly check the Museum, but have only scrolled down thru the all the text once or twice. Still, from other peoples' posts, 1800kB seems large considering I have under 200 cars in my garage and my "game progress" is still under 50%. Guess I won't be looking thru those museum card descriptions anymore.

Last edited:
BWX
Yeah me neither. That is a huge bug.

Kudos to you for taking one for the team here. 👍

Looks like I won't be using my GT5 until they release a fix for this.

I've simply got too much time invested in getting to where I am now,

and I'll be damned if a simple bug wipes it all out,

just because I'm using a feature of the game. :dunce:

Kudos to you for taking one for the team here. 👍

Looks like I won't be using my GT5 until they release a fix for this.

I've simply got too much time invested in getting to where I am now,

and I'll be damned if a simple bug wipes it all out,

just because I'm using a feature of the game. :dunce:

No problem, but why would you stop playing? Just don't use the museum and you'll be fine.

File structure has more to do with file format than data clusters or data blocks. is the way data is structured in a data file .doc .avi .jpg are examples of file formats and file structure is merely how the computer knows the difference between them.

FAT32 - File Allocation Table 32-bit. 32-bit means cluster can be from 8TiB to 32MB. Windows 95 use 512KB but I think we can all agree that PS3 doesn’t run on Windows 95. And when someone ask for your file structure, he’s not asking where you put your Justin Bieber MP3 nor how big they are. Read File Allocation Table on Wiki where you’ve been getting your info from.

Simply not true, FAT32 is not limited to 4096KB clusters. It can't even do 4096KB clusters and only supportes up to 64KB clusters (which is still not widely supported even). Heck, even NTFS doesnt even do 4MB cluster size.

Agree, that’s why I said in the original post that is 268,435,437 (2^28-19). That’s maximum cluster count. For cluster size read above.

Lastly, the PS3 does not use traditional FAT32. If it did, one could easily hook it up to a computer and browse the contents.

I know you can’t. When I said if you have a chance to look at the internal file structure, that was a trick question. Remember 4,077 (2^12-19)? Part of that 19KB is for encryption. Told you to Google it.

The PS2 used the Playstation File System, which could support 2TB file sizes. If the PS3 uses traditional FAT32, that would be 100 steps backwards.

Some people suggest PS3 use HDD UFS because PS2 use UFS. I kinda agree with that. Playstation File System? You just prove that you have no idea what you are talking about.

FAT32 max volume size is 2TB. Wait, did I just prove my point? 2TB is also the max SATA RAID 0,1 volume. UFS max is 8ZB so it still could be UFS.

You even admit it's limited to 4GB file sizes, not 4MB file sizes.

Cluster size, volume size, file size. 4MB is the cluster size PS3 choose to work with. The exact logic behind is up for everyone to guess. My guess is when you are driving down Cape Ring and listing to Justin Bieber, PS3 only need to use 1 FLOP to page a 4MB file instead of 8. PS3 is build for performance, not multi-tasking. Again, not Windows 95 (although Win 95 doesn't multi-task...)

Having a jailbroken PS3 has allowed me to be able to dig into it. I'll repeat this again too, being jailbroken does not change the hard drives file system in anyway, but does indeed give me access to look at it. I'm really curious, if you didnt hack yours, how exactly were you able to get a chance to browse the PS3's drive in full in order to come to your conclusion?

Jailbreak tools… Once you can connect the PS3 HDD to PC, we can talk again.

Last edited:
Thank you for reading my poor English.
I am stupid do not know English and FAT32 well.
anyway, I'm anxious all the game does not stop.

Using double-byte characters in Japanese ver
so, the rate of increase may be half size in English version

Just received the cards and cars does not increase much
the problem is the command to open
so, you can read the news
please save to USB as back up before open the news and load after open
or use sub-account for news
[sub-account the best because use back up happens overwritten by mistake]

Museum to operate the same way,
please save to USB as back up before check your cards
and load the back up after check or send
[please be careful to overwritten by mistake]
[and please manage everyday by your PC]

PM me. Send me the Param.SFO in your game save. I can try to scrub the cache for you. If that still too big, send me a clean save and I can transfer the status over. Not guarantee to work but worth a try.

Can I ask why I this hasnt happened to me? Ive used the museem plentty of times, and go into the news sections heaps as well. My save is around 740kb around day 700, with around 250 cars. Is that normal, high , low? Is it meant to be 400kb if I didnt go in these sections, even now?

I dont get how you can recreate this bug with normal use.

The savegame bug has bitten me at 4165 KB a while ago.

So yesterday I was a bit curious and spent a lot of time.

I deleted all installed GT-5 data from the HDD and restored my last working GT-5 savegame (4080 KB).

Then I started GT-5 and it installed patch V1.05.
After that I installed GT-5 to HDD and everything seemed fine.

I visited the museum, looked at the cards and gifted spares away, bought some cars and did some races.
Took a while to reach 4165 KB and then I had the error message again.

So I deleted all installed GT-5 data from the HDD and restored my last working GT-5 savegame (4080 KB).

Then I installed GT-5 offline and after the installation I went online and patched to V1.05.

You know the story...

I visited the museum, looked at the cards and gifted spares away, bought some cars and did some races.
Took a while to reach 4165 KB and then I had the error message again

Horror story ... :ill:

EDIT - Because he wanted to test if different procedures would lead to different results, of course. If you read this thread there are lots of theories around on how to "fix" this. There's no fix.

And one other thing. Not visiting the museum DELAYS the process and the death of your game. But doesn't prevent it. The file size will keep on growing until ... the end

FAT32 - File Allocation Table 32-bit. 32-bit means cluster can be from 8TiB to 32MB. Windows 95 use 512KB but I think we can all agree that PS3 doesn’t run on Windows 95. And when someone ask for your file structure, he’s not asking where you put your Justin Bieber MP3 nor how big there are. Read File Allocation Table on Wiki since you’ve been keep referring to it.
Hold on 8TiB cluster, excuse me while I :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_format#File_structure
Part of file format, just like I said.

512 is the common size of sectors and that is 512 bytes, not KB. Jesus, now you are confusing clusters with sectors.

Let me repost this because you have no idea what you are talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cluster
Typical cluster sizes range from 1 sector (512 B) to 128 sectors (64 KiB).

So you want me to read about FAT32 on wiki. Why don't you have a look under limits, 32-bit section, maximun volume size.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
2 TB
8 TB (with 32KB clusters)
16 TB (with 64KB clusters, not widely supported)

Agree, that’s why I said in the original post that is 268,435,437 (2^28-19). That’s maximum cluster count. For cluster size read above.
No thanks, because you believe there are 32MB clusters on FAT32 which is completely illogical because it would be a complete waste of space. Clusters are small in size for that reason. 32MB would be overkill which is why it is not done or within the imposed FAT32 limitations.

I know you can’t. When I said if you have a chance to look at the internal file structure, that was a trick question. Remember 4,077 (2^12-19)? That 19KB is for encryption.
You are clearly confusing file system with file structure, the two are not synonymous.

4,077(2^12-19) is the max cluster count for FAT12 and has nothing to with FAT32 nor is it a description of size. It's flippin scientific notation, period. Take a scientific math class and you'd know that. So let me help you 3rd grade style.
2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 4096
4096 - 19 = 4077

Some people suggest PS3 use HDD UFS because PS2 use UFS. I kinda agree with that. Playstation File System? You just prove that you have no idea what you are talking about.
O' Really?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_File_System

FAT32 max volume size is 2TB. Wait, did I just prove my point? 2TB is also the max SATA RAID 0,1 volume.
According to the page you wanted me to read so bad, 8TB is possible with 32KB clusters and 16TB is possible with 64KB clusters.

I'm still wondering what uses 32MB clusters.

Cluster size, volume size, file size. 4MB is the cluster size PS3 choose to work with. The exact logic behind is up for everyone to guess. My guess is when you are driving down Cape Ring and listing to Justin Bieber, PS3 only need to use 1 FLOP to page a 4MB file instead of 8. PS3 is build for performance, not multi-tasking. Again, not Windows 95.
4MB cluster size is unheard of. Even "if" they did do something that stupid, Cluster size does not stop a file that is bigger than the cluster size from being created.

Jailbreak tools… Once you can connect the PS3 HDD to PC, we can talk again.
No thanks because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. 32MB clusters :lol:

Last edited:
BWX
No problem, but why would you stop playing? Just don't use the museum and you'll be fine.

Because of this:

And one other thing. Not visiting the museum DELAYS the process and the death of your game. But doesn't prevent it. The file size will keep on growing until ... the end

I'm over half way to 4165kb, and my save gets bigger every time I save, so I'm not going to make it any larger now until they can fix it.

I've noticed the save file will increase in size when you back it up, just a heads up.

Example: The save data on my PS3 HDD is 972kb. When I transfer it to my memory stick, it's now 1024kb.

Last edited:
Horror story ... :ill:

EDIT - Because he wanted to test if different procedures would lead to different results, of course. If you read this thread there are lots of theories around on how to "fix" this. There's no fix.

Huh? My file size has been 700kb range for months. And I just vistited the musuem again now, and its still the same.

I dont get it, how come other people are not having these problems? Do you have to reach a certain tipping point?

In other words, tell me how to mess up my game. I really want to try do it as I'm curious if its really that easy to stuff up your save, just by going into the news and musuem. I am trying it but nothing is happening. Do you have to do it non stop for days? Musuem grind? I find this bizzare

I dont want to get into a discussion about duping but I don't. With about 200 cars now I have a 400kb save file.

Are you guys with larger files doing a lot of copying?

All i know is there is a bug in this game regardless. My game constantly freezes. I just backed the file up just in case, but im foreseeing some **** about to happen.

Guys I have 74% completion, level 35-A spec, 40-B spec. 165 cars.

Size is like 450 KB!!!!!!!!

Whatever your doing in the museum, and the installations to get rid of loading times, are whats causing this. Nothing else. Dont go to the TV, dont go to the Museum, lol.

Latest Posts

Back