Favorite quotes

British Airways Captain Eric Moody speaking over the intercom after their plane flew into a cloud of volcanic ash and all four engines failed.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

World's greatest understatement.

Incredibly, three of the engines did eventually come back online and the plane, with its windscreen opaque from ash, was able to land at Jakarta even though the vertical guidance system was also broken.

The terminator, would never stop. It would never leave him, and it would never hurt him, never shout at him, or get drunk and hit him, or say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there. And it would die, to protect him.

You know... despite knowing exactly where that quote was from, I don't think I'd ever stopped to think about the commentary of the Terminator movies on men in general. The dichotomy of man (as opposed to woman) is oppressor and protector. The Terminator is a caricature of a man - brutally logical, unfeeling, non-communicative, large (like... Mr. Universe large), strong, durable, impervious to pain, single-minded, relentless, untiring. And in the first movie, all of those traits are evil. The second movie juxtaposes them as almost virtuous.

It makes sense that the movie is focused on a woman/mother with child. The terminator is the evil/good father figure. I'm seeing the movies in a slightly altered light.

Sarah Connor
Men like you thought it up. You think you're so creative. You don't know what it's like to really create something; to create a life; to feel it growing inside you. All you know how to create is death and destruction...

"When spider webs unite they can tie up a lion."

"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day."
- Hamlet, Act V Scene 1.

"Did you never let Jack Kerouac wash over you in waves?" -- Richard Thompson, Sibella

"My grandfather rode a Pony, my father rode a Pony, I drive a Mercedes, my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel." - Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum

"Be loud. Be angry. Be sad. Be anything but apathetic." -Halsey, in response to the election, but applies to a lot more.

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music. My pleasures are the most intense known to man: writing and butterfly hunting."
Vladimir Nabokov

So we took all her one-dollar bills off the stage, said goodbye to that donkey.. and two days later we were man and wife.

Bob Bigalow

"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."

"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."

'Education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands, and at whom it is aimed."

"The way to handle people is to treat them like chickens. Take away everything they have by plucking all their feathers and then throw them a few bread crumbs. They will then follow you forever."

"Everybody has a right to be stupid, but some people abuse the privilege."

"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?"

"I trust no one, not even myself."

"It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper."

"To choose one's victims, to prepare one's plan minutely, to slake an implacable vengeance, and then to go to bedthere is nothing sweeter in the world."

And my personal favorite:

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"

All of these are quotes of Joseph Stalin.

"So much misery–so slow and hideous a growth of hatred and sin, may be compressed into a sentence!" - George Eliot (from The Lifted Veil)

This quote is so true in my case it isn't funny:
"I see that the circumstances of one's birth is irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are" - Mewtwo
I mean, whoever wrote the script for the first Pokemon movie was a genius.

Also:
"The difference between the 70's and today is that there's a lot more uptight, uneducated white people now"
"Maybe I should get a pair of plastic tits, a fake plastic smile and a tiny plastic brain. Just like the people who run this country"
Both of which are quotes from Keith Morris in GTA 5 - the host of Channel X

xByII.jpg

"Get your hands off my Privates!" Capt. Mainwaring

("Your name will also go on the list! What is it?")
"Don't tell him Pike!" Capt. Mainwaring

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." Mitch Hedberg.

"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'" Mitch Hedberg.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here." Mitch Hedberg.

"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." Mitch Hedberg.

Basically anything Mitch Hedberg said.

And finally...

"The man who marries his mistress creates an opening". Unknown, but was in Mrs AT fortune cookie on our wedding day. True story.

Last edited:
Back