Favorite quotes

"You know that when the truth is told, you can get what you want or you can just get old"

- Billy Joel

"Nothing's impossible. Impossible just takes longer." -Unknown

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
(The GTS forums should live by this...)

20170224_215155.jpg

Love that movie.
Agreed. 👍

Never, never, interrupt me, okay? Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint. Even then, don't come knocking.

"The supreme question about a work of art is out of how deep a life does it spring. Paintings of Moreau are paintings of ideas. The deepest poetry of Shelley, the words of Hamlet bring our mind into contact with the eternal wisdom; Plato’s world of ideas. All the rest is the speculation of schoolboys for schoolboys."
―James Joyce, from Ulysses

"[James Joyce’s] universe of words was a torrent of puns, palindromes, parallels, parodies, and plagiarisms (with a good deal of Parnell stirred into the alliteration). Every now and then I will see a word as if for the first time, and suddenly appreciate that Evian is 'naive' spelled backward, or that Bosnia is an anagram of 'bonsai.'Preparing some salad the other day, I murmured, 'I knew Olive Oyl before she was an extra virgin.' Joyce could do this, at an infinitely higher standard of multiple entendre, drawing on several languages, for pages on end - depending on your level of awareness, and your capacity to spot new allusions and analogies - you never reopen the same book of his, or even the same chapter, without realizing that you are holding a new text in your hands and haven’t really read it before."
Christopher Hitchens, “Joyce in Bloom” in Love, Poverty, and War: Journeys and Essays

"You know that point in your life when you realize the house you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of a sudden even though you have some place where you put your stuff, that idea of home is gone.

You'll see one day when you move out it just sort of happens one day and it's gone. You feel like you can never get it back. It's like you feel homesick for a place that doesn't even exist."

-Andrew Largeman

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Ministry of Truth - 1984, George Orwell.

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

- Abraham Lincoln.​

"When you know you're right you don't care what others think. You know sooner or later it will come out in the wash."

- Barbara McClintock,, geneticist.​

Barbara McClintock won the 1983 Nobel Prize in biology for proving that genetics deviated from the rules established by Gregor Mendel. It was ranked by the prize committee as second in importance only to the discovery of DNA's double helix structure. (Blueprint for Life - Time-Life Books, Alexandria, Virginia.)

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Ministry of Truth - 1984, George Orwell.

Each week at school we have topic, usually abstract, posted on a whiteboard in the hallway on which students and staff can add their thoughts. This week's topic was "favourite book" and 1984 being mine I wrote this quote across the top of the board in large letters and "Big Brother is watching" at the bottom.

Nobody has added anything else all week, some of the kids were asked why they hadn't contributed and a common response was "because Big Brother is watching". I couldn't help but laugh, I'm sure not one of these kids knows what 1984 is about.

Each week at school we have topic, usually abstract, posted on a whiteboard in the hallway on which students and staff can add their thoughts. This week's topic was "favourite book" and 1984 being mine I wrote this quote across the top of the board in large letters and "Big Brother is watching" at the bottom.

Nobody has added anything else all week, some of the kids were asked why they hadn't contributed and a common response was "because Big Brother is watching". I couldn't help but laugh, I'm sure not one of these kids knows what 1984 is about.

GTPlanet is always good for a chuckle - but quite often a long, loud belly laugh - a reason why I never check GTP at work (odd looks thrown at me.)

The picture of kids wary about Big Bro watching just cracked me up.

"You know that point in your life when you realize the house you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of a sudden even though you have some place where you put your stuff, that idea of home is gone.

You'll see one day when you move out it just sort of happens one day and it's gone. You feel like you can never get it back. It's like you feel homesick for a place that doesn't even exist."

-Andrew Largeman

It's true unless/until you have kids - at which point your home can become something they view the way you viewed your home when you were a kid. And then you have that feeling again.

It's true unless/until you have kids - at which point your home can become something they view the way you viewed your home when you were a kid. And then you have that feeling again.

In my case I don't really feel that, being used to move regularly since my childhood. We moved once or twice in my first 5 years, before we changed country, I don't even remember how was the first place I ever lived in. That said, we always remained in a roughly 30 km diameter area, so home for me is pretty much a panel of wide areas rather than a specific appartment or house. Basically, as long as I'm seeing mountains and it's the Alps, I'm feeling home. And since living in a small mountain village forces you to drive a bit as soon as you have something a bit specific to do, I've seen a wide arrays a cities in the region quite early in my life, so going from a city to another feels more like changing room than home.

Such a hard concept to define in words, but very true. Almost surreal when it happens. Especially when one has maintained the same home for over 35 years and older kids come back to visit and seem disoriented - but this is because the layout of the home has changed so radically, the surrounding area has changed dramatically, and they have also grown much, much taller - taller than the parents that reared them! :lol:

Which thoughts recall a line that is not so much a quote but a proverb: "Home is where the heart is."

Last edited:
Thanks to Dragon Ball Super and TFS mini DBS shorts. Whenever something world upsets or disappoints me, I just rebuttal with "I'm starting to think Zamasu did nothing wrong".

"But this superadded consciousness, wearying and annoying enough when it urged on me the trivial experience of indifferent people, became an intense pain and grief when it seemed to be opening to me the souls of those who were in a close relation to me—when the rational talk, the graceful attentions, the wittily-turned phrases, and the kindly deeds, which used to make the web of their characters, were seen as if thrust asunder by a microscopic vision, that showed all the intermediate frivolities, all the suppressed egoism, all the struggling chaos of puerilities, meanness, vague capricious memories, and indolent make-shift thoughts, from which human words and deeds emerge like leaflets covering a fermenting heap."

From The Lifted Veil by George Eliot

"Dance like nobody's watching, Love like you’ll never be hurt, Sing like nobody's listening, Live like it's heaven on earth."

Back