Fears of microtransactions in GT6 addressed

• Thread starter Torgo
  • 213 comments
Does it? Really?

It's about as expensive as any other drink here. Some people even got punished for selling beer to lower prices than water... (I'm not joking)

graph.png

I for one am absolutely disgusted at the extortionate real world prices being charged for in game currency. £15.99 for 2.5 Million? REALLY! :ouch: These are supposed to be "micro" transactions as in small, but they're actually macro transactions as in stupidly large. Goodness knows how much 7 million in game credits is going to cost, probably more than the game itself! :lol: Unbelievable... :grumpy:

I like that I have to make decisions on where and what I spend my credits on. It adds to the strategic aspect of the game to me. I already even had to sell a car in my garage to get one for a set of races. It adds a lot to the experience in my opinion. Things like Jeff Gordon's racing suit and how expensive it is doesn't even cross my mind, because I'd rather spend that money to expand my livery and upgrade some of those cars.
I know I quote something old. But did you just mention some sort of livery editor?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...icing-revealed

We already knew Polyphony's racer would include microtransactions - a first for the series. Now we're nearing the game's Friday 6th December release more information on how these work has been revealed.

Let's start with the virtual currency, credits. Credits, which you use to buy cars and parts, can be bought in 500K, 1 million, 2.5 million and 7 million denominations.
The PlayStation Store updated today with the prices for these. They are as follows:

500,000 In-Game Credits (£3.99/€4.99)
1 Million In-Game Credits (£7.99/€9.99)
2,500,000 In-Game Credits (£15.99/€19.99)
7 Million In-Game Credits (£39.99/€49.99)
The video, below, showcases GT6's cars and reveals one of the top priced, the Jaguar XJ13, which costs 20 million credits. You can grind for it in traditional Gran Turismo fashion or you can buy it straight away if you drop £119.95 - that's the total you pay for two packs of 7m credits, two packs of 2.5m credits and one pack of 1m credits.

The issue is, will Gran Turismo's progression system be adversely affected by microtransactions? Eurogamer's Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar.

Sony maintains that GT6's microtransactions offer players an alternative fast-track route through the series' famously grindy progression. Eurogamer's review will be published on Friday.

So basically A-Spec progression is the same as GT5 (ie. broken) but with the helpful addition of microtransactions.

Wow. Seems rather expensive, but that's the way it should be. I will be saving my money for actual DLC cars and or tracks. So the free pre-order bonus of 1 million credits is worth that much in real currency. XP

Hey folks, this is Glenn from PS Nation.

Regarding fears of "heavy microtransactions" in GT6, I talked to PR and got this response:

"You don't need to spend anything to unlock events and cars, etc. We received lots of criticisms in GT5 about length of time needed to unlock things, so the purchase of in-game currency is all optional. If you want to earn it all, you can. If you want to purchase, you can as well but we don't force you to. It was misinterpreted when announced in our features list."
EA Mobile games don't force you to buy anything either, they just make you grind and grind if you don't.

But back to GT6: Pay to skip stuff, pay to not play the game. Think about that.

At first I didn't mind, but those price are pure theft. Hopefully nobody will buy into that BS. There's always been a grind in GT to buy every car and win every race, but somehow somewhere someone is deeply out of touch to an unthinkable degree with those prices. And there I was thinking SSF4 costumes was nothing but greed.

Me and you are from the same town.. weird to see someone else from the Port. Anyway GT6 looks awesome don't think anyone has to rely on other peoples thoughts to know that it will be brilliant.
Wow! That's insane. :lol:

And yeah, I got my copy today. ;)

It's great! The graphics are probably the same in technical terms but jesus. The lighting is utterly phenomenal to say the least. I'm totally hooked at the moment, it has the fun factor I felt GT5 was missing a tad.
Mind if I add you? Need someone on my friends list that plays GT.

I have just read on another forum that the Jaguar xj13 will cost £119.95 to buy it? That cant be right surly?

Thats probably one of the most expensive cars in this game.

That 7m credit pack is enough money to buy every car you will need in A Spec mode (if car prices stay same as in GT5).

You don't need a 20m credit Jag from the 60s to finish this game.

Mind if I add you? Need someone on my friends list that plays GT.
yeah sure, I don't play on my GTP account regularly: UB3R-BR3NDAGE is the one you wanna add. 👍

Now, to be on topic. I can confirm that there are no signs of credits being buyable, it isn't even obvious in anyway that you can do so. Not like an EA game or Forza or anything.

So basically A-Spec progression is the same as GT5 (ie. broken) but with the helpful addition of microtransactions.

my concern is that since now there are credits for sale it seems there wouldn't be much of an incentive to have seasonals that pay a significant amount of credits (otherwise the prices would be a lot lower I would think)

How do sony/pd justify charging £40 for damn credits? Why not just charge £10 to have all the cars availble? (which i think is still scandelous as it should be a free option)

That 7m credit pack is enough money to buy every car you will need in A Spec mode (if car prices stay same as in GT5).

We don't know that yet.

You don't need a 20m credit Jag from the 60s to finish this game.

Nor this.

The credit pack prices are extortionate. On the plus side, I suppose that means a lot less people will buy them, so hopefully PD and Sony get the hint.

Based on that screen shot it seems they cost at least 3x less, that's much more reasonable. That said, I'm still not interested in paying for content I can earn myself. Ever.

Much cheaper. £1.00 for half a million? Thats a quarter of the speculated price for 500k credits.

That would mean:

1,000,000 credits = £2.00
2,500,000 credits = £4.00
7,000,000 credits = £10.00

Much cheaper. £1.00 for half a million? Thats a quarter of the speculated price for 500k credits.

That would mean:

1,000,000 credits = £2.00
2,500,000 credits = £4.00
7,000,000 credits = £10.00

On the other hand, it's from the manual so the price may not be up to date.

EG.net
Sony maintains that GT6's microtransactions offer players an alternative fast-track route through the series' famously grindy progression.
I maintain that Sony can bugger off.

Looking at the payouts in the career race list thread and now this - I'm actually glad and somewhat content that I've decided to skip a GT game for the first time ever. I really don't care about the MT's pricing - whether it's expensive or cheap, this is just as awful as ''that other game'', if not worse. Seasonals might save the in-game economy once again and make the need for MT less obvious and less encouraging, but this crap does not belong in a $60 game regardless.

Inb4 ''b..b..but it's optional!''. I don't care.

Last edited:
I think it's ok. Why? Because game is NOT based on it. In other words if you have (real) money you can buy it, all other guys will just play normally and afford it later (for game credits). I mean if I doesn't knew that microtransaction exist it not have any impact on me.

I dunno how situation in FM5, but I think that you CAN'T buy some of the best game cars without paying real money for it (even if its in form of "DLC"). If like this - I'm really, really against.

Back