Ferrari F14T

• Thread starter Vitocorp
  • 241 comments
Nope. Marco Mattiaci has been named as Domenicali's replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised if this spells the end for Raikkonen as well. I doubt they will replace him straight away, but Domenicali lobbied hard to get him when di Montezemolo wanted Hulkenberg for the job. If he doesn't start matching Alonso, I'd say it's curtains.

Nope. Marco Mattiaci has been named as Domenicali's replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised if this spells the end for Raikkonen as well. I doubt they will replace him straight away, but Domenicali lobbied hard to get him when di Montezemolo wanted Hulkenberg for the job. If he doesn't start matching Alonso, I'd say it's curtains.
Yeah but could be a temporary replacement, Mattiaci was North America Ferrari frontman but he has no F1 experience.
And I don't think/hope LCDM is that dumb to remove Kimi from the seat. The problem is the car, the engineers, not the drivers. Hulkenberg would have no chance either with this truck.

Raikkonen and Alonso only have a few years left in them. Going by current form, Alonso could go longer. But I think it was a mistake to take Raikkonen - they need a younger, long-term prospectm

Raikkonen and Alonso only have a few years left in them. Going by current form, Alonso could go longer. But I think it was a mistake to take Raikkonen - they need a younger, long-term prospectm
Raikkonen with a good car was perfect to battle for Contrusctor Champ. In my opinion he is faster than Perez and Hulkenberg for another year at least, the problem is driving a truck not a F1 car. Young long-term prospects would face the same issues.
Alonso want to move to McLaren on because Honda has no freezed development rule because they are new comers.
LCDM accepted way too many rules that were going to effect performance of the team and these are the results. He also made a costly mistake firing Aldo Costa.

A rumour of a rumour, which seems to come from Raikkonen's fans.
If F14 truck can't manage to win a race this year and unfortunately the chances are very high, it would be the first time since 1994. When Alonso arrived here he said he was hoping to win the title, time passed he went close but now the situation is not promising.
Look at what Hamilton is doing now with a fast car, unfortunately I have to admit Alonso better move on if he want a title chance.

Was going to retort that it isn't that bad... but if Ferrari can't even beat Red Bull, which have a (supposedly) worse motor, it's not looking good for the Scuderia.

I don't see Alonso moving on... but if McLaren were to offer him the seat...

Brawn has already worked for Ferrari. What more does he have to prove? He walked away from Mercedes just before they started dominating, so I'd say he's pretty happy in retirement.

What reason would Alonso have to go to McLaren? I doubt he has many friends among those who call the shots there.

he seemed a sensible and likeable chap.

That might've been his problem, I saw him to be a lot like Ferrari's Martin Whitmarsh. Both teams have lost their way in a similar fashion, although McLaren have at least had a little more success.

The Alonso to McLaren rumours seemed a lot stronger before the return of Ron Dennis. Plus if McLaren start to struggle again this year then it would be a better move to stay with Ferrari.

The Alonso to McLaren rumours seemed a lot stronger before the return of Ron Dennis. Plus if McLaren start to struggle again this year then it would be a better move to stay with Ferrari.
Honda is what makes McLaren interesting for a top driver looking for a title chance. But if Ron is going south on Alonso because of 2007, than he is pretty much stuck on this red truck until Allison find a way to squeeze out some performance of this 4 wheels thing made by mediocre duo Tombazis/Fry.
Hopefully 2015 car will be Allison leading the whole project.

DK
What reason would Alonso have to go to McLaren?
It means Ferrari will keep Kimi Raikkonen, because they won't want to change both of their drivers at once, regardless of how poorly Raikkonen performs relative to Alonso. Which is why most of these rumours are being spread by Raikkonen supporters.

I doubt he has many friends among those who call the shots there.
It was seven years ago. Alonso has matured considerably since then. McLaren are too smart to disregard him if he became available. If you want someone to blame for that episode, it is Flavio Briatore who is at fault.

So Ferrari continue their tradition of firing the one completely not at fault for the cars lack of performance...

*looks towards Aldo Costa and Co*

I'd be very impressed if Ferrari fired Costa, seeing as how he works for Mercedes.

A pit of the Alonso/McLaren dispute is due to the team taking data from Ferrari. Nothing to do with Hamilton at least, and even if it was with him, he is on a different team now.

Seems like he's the fall guy. He's the boss, sure, but he's hardly to blame for Mercedes building an awesome engine. Take Merc out of the picture and Ferrari and Red Bull are more or less neck and neck. Put any other engine in the mid-field teams and they probably wouldn't be competitive with Ferrari either.

But I guess sometimes a bold statement has to be made. It's very Ferrari.

Honda is what makes McLaren interesting for a top driver looking for a title chance. But if Ron is going south on Alonso because of 2007, than he is pretty much stuck on this red truck until Allison find a way to squeeze out some performance of this 4 wheels thing made by mediocre duo Tombazis/Fry.
Hopefully 2015 car will be Allison leading the whole project.

Tombazis wasn't in charge of this project and Fry isn't the only other in charge either. Rory Byrne took main role for this car and Allison also has the key role that Fry did and reports to the team boss along side the two mediocre you suggested. I would think a Ferrari fan would be more privy to this knowledge.

Was going to retort that it isn't that bad... but if Ferrari can't even beat Red Bull, which have a (supposedly) worse motor, it's not looking good for the Scuderia.

I don't see Alonso moving on... but if McLaren were to offer him the seat...

Alonso back with Ron? It would have seemed incredible a couple of years ago but I think both guys have had a few spears in their sides since then, maybe that could work... I'll just keep reminding myself that F1 is "IF" backwards.

Alonso back with Ron? It would have seemed incredible a couple of years ago but I think both guys have had a few spears in their sides since then, maybe that could work... I'll just keep reminding myself that F1 is "IF" backwards.

This I agree with, it was only yesterday that if you told me Kimi would be going back to Ferrari, a team that burned him only a few years ago I'd say no. I'd say and laugh in your face and make you feel awkward for suggesting it, yet it is a reality and others have happened before and thus...the circus can shock you at any moment. Alonso/Mclaren return is no different.

Tombazis wasn't in charge of this project and Fry isn't the only other in charge either. Rory Byrne took main role for this car and Allison also has the key role that Fry did and reports to the team boss along side the two mediocre you suggested. I would think a Ferrari fan would be more privy to this knowledge.
Team: James Allison (TD), Pat Fry (ED), Nikolas Tombazis (CD), Stefano Domenicali (MD), Simone Resta (DCD), Corrado Lanzone (Head of production), Luca Marmorini (HE), Rory Byrne (Tech Advisor)

Allison officially arrived September 2013, Rory Byrne has been asked to help the project since LCDM and Domenicali somehow realized (too late) their engineers weren't capable to deliver. Marmorini made the Turbo, those responsable of MGU-H MGU-K under him were removed from their positions because of poor results in Australia.

As you can see it was a huge mess since the beginning. I would say Allison and Byrne have almost no fault, since they came late and Power Unit was not their business.

Team: James Allison (TD), Pat Fry (ED), Nikolas Tombazis (CD), Stefano Domenicali (MD), Simone Resta (DCD), Corrado Lanzone (Head of production), Luca Marmorini (HE), Rory Byrne (Tech Advisor)

First off Stefano is not there any more so you adding that wasn't unnecessary. We just went over this up above.

officially arrived September 2013, Rory Byrne has been asked to help the project since LCDM and Domenicali somehow realized (too late) their engineers weren't capable to deliver. Marmorini made the Turbo, those responsable of MGU-H MGU-K under him were removed from their positions because of poor results in Australia.

Yes and he is listed as a key designer on the car, Rory Byrne has been with Ferrari for a while in the Tech advisor role but in interview to the German Auto Motor und Sport Rory Byrne said that he is "working full steam" on Ferrari’s 2014 F1 car, in a role which will see Byrne return to the role as chief designer." A few other places talked about this as well and Byrne holds no official title so really he can be given any role that helps move the car along. By the way that interview with Byrne was done during the F138 Launch. So not sure where you got your info from. Marmorini didn't "make" the turbo he may have helped design but Honeywell provides the Turbo units to Ferrari and also helps design them. I should know because it was one of their main talking points at the career fair for engineers at the University.

Also LDM is to blame really, not the engineers they only are going in the direction of their political head that really doesn't know racing all too well. If your a fan of him great, glad you have an idol to aspire to in the Business world, but in Racing...you might want to pick a horse (pun intended) that can actually guide and win.

As you can see it was a huge mess since the beginning. I would say Allison and Byrne have almost no fault, since they came late and Power Unit was not their business.

No they didn't...Allison there may be a claim for but he is still a key designer on the car despite him arriving later last year. Byrne hasn't left and his guidance has been there for the past several cars: F138 and F2012, F150th and so on. I may be no Ferrari fan but I am an F1 fan and I do take an interest to know what is going on in all the teams. It's not that huge of a mess and LDM instead of trying to change things rather should guide his team and let them do their job instead of being a helicopter parent that doesn't help.

EDIT: Also Gary Anderson claimed that the engineers on the chassis are inexperienced and thus Rory Byrne is the wise man that oversees the work done and gets it on track when it's about to be derailed. Which is much of the same thing Newey does for RBR.

Last edited:
Ferrari had a strong, reliable run at Bahrain, with excellent stops and no problems. Even so, if McLaren had finished, the Ferraris would both have been out of the points. Alonso's plaintive cries on the straight and Montezemolo leaving the scene early were sad testimony to the sad technical woes of the Scuderia. With engine specs fixed for the season, the talents of Alonso and Raikkonen are completely wasted. They might as well break contract and seek employment with any team with a Mercedes engine. Maybe Penske or Ganassi could find them a seat in North America, or they could run with Barrichello in Brazilian stock cars. In any case, the Ferrari is outclassed in every respect, and being Italian, there is no fixing it, not this year, and likely not ever. The sun has set on yesterday's legend. Sweep the garbage off the track and move on.

Last edited:
First off Stefano is not there any more so you adding that wasn't unnecessary. We just went over this up above.
I posted the people who effectively worked on F14T project. Domenicali until yesterday was "the coach".
Yes and he is listed as a key designer on the car, Rory Byrne has been with Ferrari for a while in the Tech advisor role but in interview to the German Auto Motor und Sport Rory Byrne said that he is "working full steam" on Ferrari’s 2014 F1 car, in a role which will see Byrne return to the role as chief designer." A few other places talked about this as well and Byrne holds no official title so really he can be given any role that helps move the car along. By the way that interview with Byrne was done during the F138 Launch. So not sure where you got your info from. Marmorini didn't "make" the turbo he may have helped design but Honeywell provides the Turbo units to Ferrari and also helps design them. I should know because it was one of their main talking points at the career fair for engineers at the University.

Also LDM is to blame really, not the engineers they only are going in the direction of their political head that really doesn't know racing all too well. If your a fan of him great, glad you have an idol to aspire to in the Business world, but in Racing...you might want to pick a horse (pun intended) that can actually guide and win.

No they didn't...Allison there may be a claim for but he is still a key designer on the car despite him arriving later last year. Byrne hasn't left and his guidance has been there for the past several cars: F138 and F2012, F150th and so on. I may be no Ferrari fan but I am an F1 fan and I do take an interest to know what is going on in all the teams. It's not that huge of a mess and LDM instead of trying to change things rather should guide his team and let them do their job instead of being a helicopter parent that doesn't help.

EDIT: Also Gary Anderson claimed that the engineers on the chassis are inexperienced and thus Rory Byrne is the wise man that oversees the work done and gets it on track when it's about to be derailed. Which is much of the same thing Newey does for RBR.

F14T project started more than 2 years ago when Allison was still working full time on Lotus cars, Rory Byrne didn't start F14T he also came later (earlier than Allison but still after Tombazis Fry and Marmorini which are the main engineers starting this project. Fry made front and rear pull rod suspension, Tombazis ideated the front nose, Marmorini supervised PU and created Termal Unit (engine and turbo). Byrne is somehow a consulent nowdays. he's trying to help people in Maranello but he didn't start the project. Basically Allison made front wing and some aerodynamic details. All these people were refering to Domenicali.
LCDM is Domenicali superior, Marchionne being FCA (FIAT) CEO is LCDM superior, Elkann brothers are FCA owners.

Now, the real point is Marchionne has been given lot of freedom by Elkann's so now he can effectively dictate what Ferrari can or cannot do. Money from last Concorde Agreement has been used by Marchionne to backup FIAT while purchasing Chrysler. Now, after accepting questionable rules, after accepting money from Concorde Agreement, after failing big time on last GP, now they were needing some blood for the media, and this blood is Domenicali. Mattiacci will by Marchionne's eye inside Gestione Sportiva in Maranello but I have the feeling he is a temporary solution, expecially if results will not come and media and fans "will demand more blood".

Last edited:
I posted the people who effectively worked on F14T project. Domenicali until yesterday was "the coach".

F14T project started more than 2 years ago when Allison was still working full time on Lotus cars, Rory Byrne didn't start F14T he also came later (earlier than Allison but still after Tombazis Fry and Marmorini which are the main engineers starting this project. Fry made front and rear pull rod suspension, Tombazis ideated the front nose, Marmorini supervised PU and created Termal Unit (engine and turbo). Byrne is somehow a consulent nowdays. he's trying to help people in Maranello but he didn't start the project. Basically Allison made front wing and some aerodynamic details. All these people were refering to Domenicali.
LCDM is Domenicali superior, Marchionne being FCA (FIAT) CEO is LCDM superior, Elkann brothers are FCA owners.

I know all this because I was the one that went around posting this information on GTP, and even in this thread here if you look at the earlier pages it shows me talking about it. I can also find other quotes if you'd like. I know when the project started because Mercedes started theirs around the same time frame. Both groups bought up engineers at the same time to to ensure their projects went well. No Byrne didn't come later he was always there and if you can find info that says otherwise, at this point your theoretical time line seems to be getting pulled out someones rear. I gave you an actual source, BBC also reported this too but yeah...

And yet again I know all there roles and most fans of F1 do as well. However, unless you can show us this info rather than some Ferrari forum making unsubstantiated claims.

Point is something higher up is wrong with Ferrari, since Mercedes played the same game and are obliterating those silly red cars.

Now, the real point is Marchionne has been given lot of freedom by Elkann's so now he can effectively dictate what Ferrari can or cannot do. Money from last Concorde Agreement has been used by Marchionne to backup FIAT while purchasing Chrysler. Now, after accepting questionable rules, after accepting money from Concorde Agreement, after failing big time on last GP, now they were needing some blood for the media, and this blood is Domenicali. Mattiacci will by Marchionne's eye inside Gestione Sportiva in Maranello but I have the feeling he is a temporary solution, expecially if results will not come and media and fans "will demand more blood".

What race knowledge or engineering background does he have again? Also where again do you get this info from? Cause you've never been one that uses sources to back up claims, so I and I think others are a bit curious.

Rash decision. I thought it was agreed upon that the problem is with their Wind tunnel and now engine. I don't see how it's solely on Domincali's head.

Back