Ferrari F40, why so bad?

• Thread starter balang_479
  • 146 comments
By the simple fact that the real life lap time is hard to beat in the game means that its not as good as in real life... take any other car and you could easily have done what is done in real life...
simple as that.
It doesnt look stock:

8xolna.jpg

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F50-vs-F40-vs-Diablo-SV_31615.htm

Last edited:
By the simple fact that the real life lap time is hard to beat in the game means that its not as good as in real life...
Sorry - But the above statement simply means you lack the ability to handle an F40 as good in game as someone can in real life -

NOT that it is not as good ing the game as in the real world..

Last edited:
FA01F40198919c.jpg

As far as I know, this is listing the max loaded weight of the car, and not the car's actual weight.

I think PD made the F40 overweight so that you can only bring it to 1100 kg, and can't have a 'lighter than possible' F40, considering the real car is as stripped down as it can get.

I think PD made the F40 overweight so that you can only bring it to 1100 kg, and can't have a 'lighter than possible' F40, considering the real car is as stripped down as it can get.

You can only bring the weight down to 1149 kg at best with the quick tune. The 'lap record' by Best Motoring the Ferrari F40 weighed in at 1145 kg. The American version of the F40 weighs 1350kg, which is what the F40 in GT5P weighs, even though it does state 1100kg in the showroom.

this is little off topic but when you talk about weight, do PD add the drivers weight to the car, or does the car drive as theres no one inside it. I mean all simulators must have the same problem.

BTW I agree with you on the F40, another thing that bugs me is the 0-60 time, it seems that you have to keep hold of the brake and the accelerator, then let go of the brake to get that 3.8 second time. But when you do it from stand still, the turbo lag is painfully long, I know F40's are known to have turbo lag, but, its annoying.

If you hold the brake and the accelerator at the same time in GT5P, you're building up the rev's and bringing the turbo 'on boost'. This means you'll get almost all the power and minimal turbo lag, hense why you'll get a better 0-60mph time. If you just stick it in first and move off from low rev's, you'll have to overcome the turbo lag as they 'spool' up until you finally get maximum power.

FA01F40198919c.jpg

As far as I know, this is listing the max loaded weight of the car, and not the car's actual weight.

It's interesting, because in the 'showroom' in GT5P, it shows the 1100kg kerb weight. I wonder if this is dry weight, as in no fluids or driver? Perhaps GT5P includes fluids and driver? Still shouldn't be 250kg extra though, unless your rather heavy...

My experience with the F40 in GT5P is a mixed one. I find the car fairly easy to drive within its limits, its only when pushed that it becomes difficult to drive. For example, its quite nimble when balanced on the throttle, almost Elise like. However, come into a corner too hot and you'll meet vicious understeer, which can be overcome by a stab of the loud peddle (or button). The problem is, this produce's unwanted wheelspin, and first gear is quite long, so you'll loose alot of time. I think the F40's biggest problem, is it's gearing, 1st is too long and 2nd is rather short. If you could reverse the two, you'd eliminate alot of the snap oversteer in slower corners. Also, if you set the F40 up to be a little more tail happy on turn in, to reduce the understeer (brake balance?), this should help.

Is that list old or what, I do recall best motoring has run the R35 GTR around Suzuka and beat the F40's time by a margin.

As others have said the F40 gearing is a pain, you can travel almost 200km/h in 2nd gear but checking the real F40 gearing GT5P's F40 is spot on.

I don't know what Best Motoring you've been watching, balang... but:

Here, it's apparent he's never at full throttle.... he feathers it, feathers it... buries it for a millisecond... then lifts off. Feathers... feathers... lifts.... feathers... feathers... half-throttle... lift... and even then, he's countersteering when he presses a little too deeply...

Tiff Needell, all countersteering...

Not as clear a footwell cam... but you notice he's never deep into the throttle until on the straights... apparently using between 1/4 to 1/2 throttle... of course, neither of us were there, and neither of us would know whether or not he was ever using full throttle.

-

I'm sorry, but nobody said this much horsepower and this much turbo-lag in this little car with tires nearly twenty years out of date would be easy to handle... :lol: ...especially when your throttle travel is all of two inches with the Dualshock controller. If you really feel badly about it... go about one or two tire compounds up to simulate more modern tires on the F40. You can't time trial this way, but it's fairer to the old beast.

I love the F40 to drive and for looks. The sound is ear-poppingly beautiful, and loud, the body is jaw-dropping sexy, the drive is amazingly beautiful. I have so much fun with it. I drove it on Fuji, with manual, using the H shift, but no clutch. It was the best drive I have had in a long time. I love the oversteer entering the corner, and the correcting you ahve to do exiting. That was a great day.

I love the F40 to drive and for looks. The sound is ear-poppingly beautiful, and loud, the body is jaw-dropping sexy, the drive is amazingly beautiful. I have so much fun with it. I drove it on Fuji, with manual, using the H shift, but no clutch. It was the best drive I have had in a long time. I love the oversteer entering the corner, and the correcting you ahve to do exiting. That was a great day.

+1 The car makes no apologies at all for what it is.
One of my favourite cars in the game for so many reasons, but mainly its simply so raw yet focused in what it does.

I have been punting this car around in the 700pp Suzuka race with a fair bit of success.
It would also be a perfect candidate for a 1 make online race, but thats just me being selfish and wanting to see a grid full of F40's. :D
Maybe this is something that could be run in the new 700PP Fuji event if there is enough interest.

Last edited:
I run the F40 in 99% of my races, so definantly keen, problem is keeping on hours with the rest of the world. With Fuji 700pp it may just be a little more competitive than Suzuka 700pp. Would love to see a full grid of F40's!

I'm one of the slower drivers around here but I love the F40, brutal, unforgiving and absolutely a dream to drive. I'm scared every time I approach a corner and have a big fat grin on my face when I get it right!

i'm disappointed with it too, is a super car suppose to understeer like that?? Not as fun to drive as the 512bb but thats my opinion..

Understeer? How did you manage understeer in it?

And as we've been highlighting in this thread, its a super car, yes, but from 20 years ago. To expect it to be able to handle better than an F430 is not taking into account the age of the technology in each machine.

The F40 is pretty good at 700PP Fuji at the moment, just enough straights to get the acceleration in the lower gears and then control the pace through the final section of corners - great fun battling superior handling cars and then blasting down the straights and sweepers with it.

Last edited:
Understeer? How did you manage understeer in it?

It understeers, with a prod of the throttle you can invoke oversteer easily but with a fairly neutral load on the tyres (without shifting weight on the fronts) it generally does understeer. (standard tune)

Heh, not used a default tune for so long on this car, forgot it did that. Though its hardly bad understeer, with the amount of engine ability just a moments touch away.

I love the F40 now but found it too hard to drive at first as I never put the time into learning how to drivethe car. I then decided to try some time trials on S2's and managed to get top a 250 on the TT leader boards which I am very happy about. Learning how to handle this car has has greatly improved my overall enjoyment of the game as now I can be more competitive in some of the harder cars to drive.

Gran Turismo always has favorites. Always has, always will.
You see, Mr. Yameuchi likes certain cars, and those cars, he has no shame in giving an advantage.
He bought a Ford GT before GT4 came out. Suddenly Ford is wrong and the GT can go 220, not 205mph. And it's on the cover. Now in GT5P, the introduction of PP (performance points) where the Ford GT (tuned) is relatively unbeatable. (except on Daytona Speedway:)). His other classic favs are: NSX, Integra, Clio, And now the GTR, too. (who coulda guessed)
This is why online racing with GT5P is basically a 5 car game. Check the PP avail., And pick yameuchis favorite car that fits that pp range, or you will lose, unless everyone you race sucks, at which point, you accomplished nothing.

What I'm trying to say is, Mr. Yameuchi doesn't like the F40, and that's why it pushes so badly, and can't corner worth a damn in GT5P.

You see, Mr. Yameuchi likes certain cars, and those cars, he has no shame in giving an advantage.
He bought a Ford GT before GT4 came out. Suddenly Ford is wrong and the GT can go 220, not 205mph. And it's on the cover. Now in GT5P, the introduction of PP (performance points) where the Ford GT (tuned) is relatively unbeatable. (except on Daytona Speedway:)). His other classic favs are: NSX, Integra, Clio, And now the GTR, too. (who coulda guessed)
This is why online racing with GT5P is basically a 5 car game. Check the PP avail., And pick yameuchis favorite car that fits that pp range, or you will lose, unless everyone you race sucks, at which point, you accomplished nothing.

What I'm trying to say is, Mr. Yameuchi doesn't like the F40, and that's why it pushes so badly, and can't corner worth a damn in GT5P.

ZOMG CONSPIRACY!

conspiracy.jpg

Believe it or not, I don't completely disagree with that.

Let me check: (Looks in Mr. Yamauchi's garage) Nope. No Clio there... No Integras, either... and no Z06s (that must be why they were so damn fast in GT4... he probably had one then and just got rid of it... so they're not fas anymore.. ) Oh... there's a Mercedes SL55 in there (which, in interviews... he has said is one of his favorite cars...)

Which must be why the top ranks of online racing are filled with SL55s... right? Right?

Right? :lol:

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2008/02/14/yamauchi-chats-gran-turismo-5-his-own-personal-garage/

-

Gedoffit. Alla youse guys. These tinfoil hat theories is geddin' old.

Last edited:
The F40 and 512bb are my favourite Ferrari's to drive and im a DS3 user :P

I'm especially loving the F40 on the current Fuji event

PD did a tremendous job with replicating this car in-game, looks-wise and handling wise. But sound-wise... it has the basic roar down, but all the blops of the exhaust and the backfire aren't in GT5P. I really really hope that it will be in GT5, it will be so much more realistic.

had another drive tonight it definitely understeers. at suzuka 130r i cant take it as fast as the 512bb. controlling the power isnt a problem, its entering the corner too fast and you're off the road no chance of recovering, i cant even induce throttle lift off oversteer in this thing!

Back