Ferrari F40, why so bad?

• Thread starter balang_479
  • 146 comments
The GNX was very slow compared to real life.It was programmed a pig. But I have to ask, if you speak in kph, do they even have them where you are?

I take it you're suggesting that just because I am not from the US, my argument is invalid?

:rolleyes:

Nice.

Thanks for clearing that up... it's very hard to find anecdotal evidence of why Ford did this, though there are some accounts relating that they did.

Use the brakes. Sit on the straight, just a few car-lengths from the start-finish line. Blip the brakes one-two-three times then go (of course, you'll torque-brake the GT-R against the handbrake so you can launch properly).

Sounds like a fun test. :D

There's a far better and more accurate way of doing it. Reverse to the back of the straight after starting your lap, line up and launch at a time marker on the clock, eg, 1'00.000 into your "lap". Then complete the lap and save the replay. Rinse and repeat with the other car, reverse to the start of the straight, launch at 1'00.000. There's your accurate measurement.👍

I take it you're suggesting that just because I am not from the US, my argument is invalid?

Nice.

I wondered myself why he asked too.

Aaaand... I tried it.

It's understandably hard to launch the F40... traction control causes an insane amount of bog, since it puts you at too low an rpm for decent speed in first gear... but even with that, and even with the F40 falling behind due to a poor start, on the back straight of the Daytona Oval, from the asphalt patch on the inside after the banking, the F40 catches up by 200 km/h and is a few car lengths clear by the end of the straight.

Turn TCS off, juggle the throttle off the handbrake, and the F40 is almost even with the GT-R, but the GT-R pulls ahead, nonetheless, due to a better launch. They're almost even to 160 km/h, then above that speed, the F40 pulls away, ending up several car lengths clear by the end of the straight at around 240 km/h.

More interestingly... the 599, which is slower around a race track than the GT-R, both in-game and in real life, despite being terribly difficult to launch, is much faster above 100 mph than either of the two.

All tests done with S2 in Time Trial. No, didn't bother to practice launching or use N3s. The point here is not how well each car launches, since, IMHO, replicating the perfect drag-launch without a functioning clutch pedal is pointless. The point is which car is "faster". And the test spells out what many of us already knew... the GT-R is only faster around a racetrack due to better brakes, grip and traction... not due to having more power.

Nice.
I never said your argument was invalid. I'm just wondering why somebody from a continent that generally dismisses muscle cars would take such an interest in something like the GNX. We've had many better cars in every way.

I never said your argument was invalid. I'm just wondering why somebody from a continent that generally dismisses muscle cars would take such an interest in something like the GNX. We've had many better cars in every way.

Australia dismiss muscle cars?

I think you may have the wrong continent here, AERO_HDT is from Oz and they have always loved a big V8.

xa1.jpg

Scaff

His name is HDT Aero... the HDT Aero is a late 80s and early 90s Aussie V8 muscle car :P

Exactly the point I was making... the 430 would be much quicker on a track than the California.

At the time the California was include in GT the actual car was still being introduced into the market so it would be highly unlikely for PD to get it right. But for a marketing stand point for Ferrari it would be great to show how it would perform in a sim game for people to try out and spread the hype.

I'm just wondering why somebody from a continent that generally dismisses muscle cars would take such an interest in something like the GNX. We've had many better cars in every way.

oh dear !! :dunce:
Where is that picture of the dude smacking his forehead when you need it?

..anyway I ran the same tests this morning and actually had a little bit of fun. I found a 1/4 mile (and a little extra) and punted both cars head to head on both N3 tyres and S2 tyres.

The F40 definately has the speed but simply struggles with traction....

Begs the question then, which of all the non-Tuned cars, is the quickest down the 1/4 in GT5P?

** The distance of 400mtrs between starting line and checkered line was calculated by driving the length at a constant speed (40kph) and using the time taken between both points to confirm distance. Just happens to be pretty much spot on.

Last edited:
That's a great idea, where did you find that stretch of tarmac? I'm figuring Fuji?

👍

I'd always wondered where a calculated 400m stretch of road could occur - if you've found one, it does beg the question whether or not any of the cars can replicate real life times on real life tyres!

My guess is the Ford GT will have the fastest quarter mile speed, but the 599 will have the highest trap speed. The GTR will surely have the lowest trap speed, but should be right up there in the mix.

I wonder if the F40 can crack 12 seconds in game using N3 rubber...

;)

I think you're applying too much throhttle, on the start if the wheels begin to spin raise the foot and try accelerating progressively until you feel the point of grip, the F40 need a very delicate launch control.

Lowering the revving in the start could work too, there are cars that have a better acceleration when start on mid range revs.

Great work with the test. 👍

oh dear !! :dunce:
Where is that picture of the dude smacking his forehead when you need it?

..anyway I ran the same tests this morning and actually had a little bit of fun. I found a 1/4 mile (and a little extra) and punted both cars head to head on both N3 tyres and S2 tyres.

Begs the question then, which of all the non-Tuned cars, is the quickest down the 1/4 in GT5P?

** The distance of 400mtrs between starting line and checkered line was calculated by driving the length at a constant speed (40kph) and using the time taken between both points to confirm distance. Just happens to be pretty much spot on.

I think I may have gotten a better launch than you in my tests. The trick is to modulate the throttle and back off a bit after you've punted past 60 km/h (around 40 mph) and modulate the wheelspin until the shift into 2nd gear. Not sure, though... I'll go and see if I can find that patch you used.

-

The 599 has awesome top end. But you'll probably need traction control on 2 or 3 to launch it properly.

Haha as others have said Australia is the last country after the North Americas to dismiss muscle cars.

As for the drag racing tests, I did plenty of them, I used daytona back straight, stopped at a chosen spot and launched at a set time, saved replay the loaded ghost and did the same, rinse-repeat. I also did rolling start runs and recorded end speed to take away the advantage of the 4WD cars like the GTR.

That's a great idea, where did you find that stretch of tarmac? I'm figuring Fuji?

👍

I'd always wondered where a calculated 400m stretch of road could occur - if you've found one, it does beg the question whether or not any of the cars can replicate real life times on real life tyres!

My guess is the Ford GT will have the fastest quarter mile speed, but the 599 will have the highest trap speed. The GTR will surely have the lowest trap speed, but should be right up there in the mix.

;)
Come on now, you know nothing will beat the GT's trap speed or it's time!

And no, I didn't know where Melbourne is, clearly. What can I say, I'm from America, that's our world - America. I'm lucky I can pick out European countries on a map, most Americans can't:lol:

That remains to be seen. And it'll depend on whether it's a 1/4 mile or a full 1 kilometer race down the back straight of daytona.

-

Agh. Now you guys have suckered me back into playing GT5P. I thought I was free... free! Instead, I spent two hours on last night... the last half hour of which was merely free-lapping the TVR Speed Six around Eiger.

The only good thing to come out of last night was that my leaderboard ranking for the TVR went up from 95 to 61. Still about two-and-a-half to three seconds slower than the best times, but since I was only using a pad and was drifting the hairpins instead of taking proper race lines... I'll count that as a win. :lol:

👍

;)

The stretch is the front straight of Fuji... the Start line is near where the Pit Entry point is painted on, cant miss it.

Im happy for someone else to double check the 400 mtrs, its not perfect, but its pretty damn close as far as I can calculate.

I know I was getting too much spin in the F40, you can see the boost gauge showing some throttle modulation until its going, but on N3's it just wants to spin.. S2's is a lot more controllable.
With a bit more practice some better times would be reached.

I ran the 599, 2nd gear launches worked well : )
Ran the Vette', it hooks up well.
The Ford GT is AWESOME.. but its not the quickest ;)

I spent a few hours just dragging different cars and had a ball. The times were reasonably close to spec (without benefit official timings)

Line it up... watch the clock and launch on the minute :)

Enjoy !

Come on now, you know nothing will beat the GT's trap speed or it's time!
Youd be wrong :)

Never thought to try launching in second (although it is a valid strategy on many supercars... I remember one test from EVO last year... drag-raced the Apollo Gumpert... 2nd gear, traction control on... still couldn't get to 60 mph in under 4.5 seconds... too much power, too little grip.

One hopes that the Top Gear track in GT5 will have a staging area with tarmac sticky enough for a decent drag race. :lol:

I got:
Ford GT: 133mph trap speed
599: 130 trap speed
Didn't bother timing, I found that to be far to inaccurate. But from 2 simple runs I can tell you the GT romps the 599, since the 599 can't use full throttle until 3rd gear. :( (which brings GT5P's traction physics into question)

I'm confused why you're not just saying....I know the 599 doesn't beat it, so you must be using a non-production car, eh?

Try launching the 599 in 2nd gear... but your right it wont beat the GT.

I'm confused why you're not just saying....<< Where would the fun in that be, if I simply told you. I can see your working on it, so I would hate spoil the surprise :)

The quickest car is not "Production" but is a very real vehicle.

At the time the California was include in GT the actual car was still being introduced into the market so it would be highly unlikely for PD to get it right. But for a marketing stand point for Ferrari it would be great to show how it would perform in a sim game for people to try out and spread the hype.

Given PD got access to the California to model both the interior and the exterior I'm sure they also got chance to drive it - at least round Fiorano.

One thing that is being forgotten by a few here is that to launch the 599 and match the published figures would require PD to model and give us access to the rather specific full launch control system that the 599 has.

From Evo

Evo
This does not involve the button marked LC. Launch control is designed to save the clutch and transmission by spinning the rear tyres, which is spectacular but not fast. Instead the process is this: set the wheel-mounted &#8216;manettino&#8217; switch to &#8216;race&#8217; mode and then, with your left foot on the brake, select first with the &#8216;up&#8217; paddle, then pull back and hold the &#8216;down&#8217; paddle for a couple of seconds. There&#8217;s a beep which is the signal to mash the throttle. The revs build quickly but not as if the gearbox is in neutral, and as the tacho needle gets to 4000rpm you jump off the brake pedal.

I make a hash of my first attempt, releasing the brake too slowly without full throttle, which adds a tang of clutch lining to the cockpit ambience, but a few attempts later I make what feels satisfyingly like an optimum start. The 599 lunges off the line, weight transfer further loading the rear tyres so that they&#8217;re fully hooked up and driving all the V12&#8217;s furious, bellowing energy into the surface. Shoved hard into the backrest, all I need do now is summon the wit to pull on the upshift paddle for second gear just as the howling V12 swings close to 8000rpm, but without snagging the limiter. That done, I can enjoy the noise and seemingly undiminished urge that drives us through 100mph, and marvel at the speed and precision of the upshifts &#8211; they&#8217;re virtually seamless. We make an easy 160mph within the mile and top it with 170mph on the return run.
Source - http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/205671/ferrari_599_gtb_fiorano.html

With this engaged the 599 launch is almost totally controlled for yopu, and that we are never going to be able to match in GT.

Regards

Scaff

I run the F40 all the time on Suzuka, but I use:
540HP (+19)
1149KG (%85)

Tyres: F:R1 R:R1

Aerodynamics: 0 - 5

PP 698

Ride Height -15 -13

Oh and I hate those Clio noobs... GT5 better have User restriction and Host service so that I can host my own drifting servers and keep those Clio's the hell out from it.

One thing that is being forgotten by a few here is that to launch the 599 and match the published figures would require PD to model and give us access to the rather specific full launch control system that the 599 has.

With this engaged the 599 launch is almost totally controlled for yopu, and that we are never going to be able to match in GT.

Regards

Scaff

Not just that... as I was intimating a few posts ago, lack of clutch control is another handicap in attempting to match real-life times.

Tried the 2nd gear launch. On the back stretch of Daytona, you can just about match a Ford GT down the quarter mile (they're neck in neck... depending on the launch, the 599 is either at par or ahead), but there's no way to accurately measure it. At higher speeds, the Ford GT's better aerodynamics (whatever the cd is, the GT has a smaller frontal area...) gives it around seven km/h more over the Ferrari.

On the Fuji front straight, there's too much grip for a second gear launch on S2s. The car just bogs. This is one of those occassions where I wish I had a clutch pedal to slip for a proper launch. Ford GT does 12.921 here versus 13.061 for the Ferrari. It's actually pretty close. Be closer with effective launch control or a clutch. (in-game traction control is so bad...)

Yeah, I'm having fun. :lol:

This is one of those occassions where I wish I had a clutch pedal to slip for a proper launch.

Indeed, I have a fear GT5 won't fully support the clutch come game release because at the moment no clutch featured wheels are official Gran Turismo wheels. It will be a real shame if we can't have better simulated clutch.

I have found though if you start releasing the clutch and give some throttle while holding the handbrake you can manage to get a good amount of slip (as the engine gets bogged down) so when you release the handbrake you can control the clutch slip much more accurately with fine movements.

Back