FIA Events '18 - World Finals Monaco Finished! Congrats to Team Lexus and Igor Fraga for Brazil!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 2,544 comments
It blows my mind that they don't display the PSN names while the races are happening. I'd much rather see the PSN names than the Nation or MFG. They could still display the flag, or country's abbreviation, or abbreviation for each MFG during those races, but people want to know who these guys are while they are racing, and most of us have no idea what everyone's actual names are in real life. This is a huge oversight in my opinion.

Having said that, the quality of the broadcasts have been amazing and very professional. Like others have said, it was edge-of-the-seat racing and there's not much room for improvement.

If I had to pick something else besides lack of PSN names, I would request a bit more replays of "incidents" as well as more of the in-car camera angles when the racing is side-by-side. The cinematic replay view is nice, and makes it look more like a real race, but you miss a lot of action that way from poor angles and camera switches.

Thanks a bunch to everyone who participated and helped bring the event together. I never thought watching esports could be so exciting. :cheers::bowdown:👍

I really enjoy watching these races. Especially liked the 3 driver swap final.

Also I always wondered what aliens eat. Good to know. :lol:

product-big-mac.png

It blows my mind that they don't display the PSN names while the races are happening. I'd much rather see the PSN names than the Nation or MFG. They could still display the flag, or country's abbreviation, or abbreviation for each MFG during those races, but people want to know who these guys are while they are racing, and most of us have no idea what everyone's actual names are in real life. This is a huge oversight in my opinion.

The UI display on the screen should change every 2 minutes to show the PSN names and the name of the drivers,maybe it switches from the Nation(or manufacturer) to PSN name/Real Name

The presentation of the whole thing was great, would like to see more of a mention of PSN user name for reference sake but real names seem more professional.

Throughly enjoyed watching it though, would love to go to one of these although I would majorly bottle it! My BPM would be of the scale!

I've been thinking about this,

You know how in Manufacturer races in Sport mode the flag next to peoples names transitions to the Manufacturer logo they are signed with, and then back to their flag periodically? They could do a transition every few seconds on the standings between real name and PSN name, whilst displaying real name above the cars to retain the more professional look.

The UI display on the screen should change every 2 minutes to show the PSN names and the name of the drivers,maybe it switches from the Nation(or manufacturer) to PSN name/Real Name

I've been thinking about this,

You know how in Manufacturer races in Sport mode the flag next to peoples names transitions to the Manufacturer logo they are signed with, and then back to their flag periodically? They could do a transition every few seconds on the standings between real name and PSN name, whilst displaying real name above the cars to retain the more professional look.

Fantastic ideas. I do agree that displaying real names is more professional, and it's good for the players to have their actual names recognized, not only their PSN's. I just think there are opportunities to display PSN names like you guys said, rotating display, or display each title in a different place because there are lots of options.

For me, seeing the PSN names gets me more into the race, because those are the names I see in game, in the top-10 and also on this site. If you can identify with a person's racing and personality based on previous interactions with them, it incentivizes the spectating a bit more and makes me more emotionally invested in the outcomes. This translates to: I'm more into the racing when I know who is racing....which is a pretty simple concept to relate to, I think.

On the penalty system implemented, I think you should only be able to serve the penalty outside of the racing line. It makes no sense to block people and risk screwing who's behind you just to keep the racing line.

Other that that, I support this system where people have to serve the penalty in specific zones during the actual race. It's been talked and suggested in this forum since ages ago and it's good to see it could be implemented soon.

Last edited:
View attachment 768024

I always imagined a layout above the cars like this (obviously enlarge that gradient box down so the PSN name sits in it too)

They don't even need to do that much work,the display on the left side of the broadcast can change so it shows the PSN name and the driver real name,the ui above the cars can keep the real driver's name fixed so it doesn't turn into a UI mess.

The only slight problem is it fully slams your brakes on at the penalty marker, meaning if you have a very small 0.4 penalty or something its going to manifest into losing much more time than that due to the momentum loss.

The point of penalty isnt to nullify gained time/advantage only,
its to do that + punish and warn you not to repeat it again.

The point of penalty isnt to nullify gained time/advantage only,
its to do that + punish and warn you not to repeat it again.
I agree but i think it can be done smoother! Those zones is a neat idea overall, would love it in sport mode!

I really hope this penalty serving system comes to sports mode.

In additon with heavy damage (and not only in FIA races) it will force the respect to each other, because there will be no more hope to drop the accumulated 8 secs down in 3 secs before finish line and keep your position because in the end of the race the gaps will be big anyway.

The more early in the race you get the penalty the more it will hurt.

Btw, dear PD, why don't you read GT Planet? This was brought up here ages ago!

And one another thing, with all respect, why don't the japanese speak english? I say its a 100 times easier then their own language :)

Even Kaz, a president of that big company since decades, needs a translator for simple questions? The interview won't be about quantum physics in the 27th dimension!

I really hope this penalty serving system comes to sports mode.

In additon with heavy damage (and not only in FIA races) it will force the respect to each other, because there will be no more hope to drop the accumulated 8 secs down in 3 secs before finish line and keep your position because in the end of the race the gaps will be big anyway.

The more early in the race you get the penalty the more it will hurt.

Btw, dear PD, why don't you read GT Planet? This was brought up here ages ago!

And one another thing, with all respect, why don't the japanese speak english? I say its a 100 times easier then their own language :)

Even Kaz, a president of that big company since decades, needs a translator for simple questions? The interview won't be about quantum physics in the 27th dimension!
26 actually but m-brane theory of 11 makes more sense

I really enjoy watching these races. Especially liked the 3 driver swap final.

Also I always wondered what aliens eat. Good to know. :lol:

product-big-mac.png
The funny thing is that I told myself I was going to stick with authentic local cuisine whenever possible.

Right as I exited Munich airport, a McDonald's to the left. Some guys ate there but I only bought a really expensive soda. In retrospect, I could've gotten it from the market but then I would've not had the funny moment when a small group of us couldn't find the entrance to it. :lol:

Then those on the first bus to the hotel in Salzburg was told by our chaperone that we were stopping midway to have fine American cuisine... McDonald's! Long story short, I ate outside and wasps were quite fond of my burger.

And of course, Kaz arranging for McDonald's after a very long day. On the record, I did not have seconds. I didn't want my weight reduction percentage to go up before race day.

Congratz everyone, both to the winners and every other contestant! Just to be there, to be one of the select few to be invited to this event must have been an great feeling. I envy each and everyone of you! :D

Amazing entertainment, left me thirsting for more after the stream finished! (I just watched it tonight, couldn't catch it live). So much talent on display, simply stunning! :).

@Jimmy B and @Irelique , awesome job on the commentating! Hope you guys are in this for the long haul :cheers:

I'm gonna need more live events like this, this is a testament to how great E-sports can be.

A lot of Japanese people speak only in japanese when being interviewed by media, its a way that they give value to their own language. I personally like it, they speak in ther tongue, being closer to their own and somebody does the translating job to any other languages.

As a brazilian I take UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) as a good example of why people value this, when Brazilian fighter gives an interview after a fight they are only allowed to speak in English while the most important fans of theirs can't understand (people might even boo them if they don't give a word in portuguese :lol:), the only way they are allowed to speak portuguese is if they deem themselves of not having a good enough english so that they can have a translator and all of their fans can understand them.

So, it basically comes down to wanting to talk mostly with their own people and fans. Maybe it isn't that big of a problem if you're german, as english is more inteligible by the german-speaking.

A lot of Japanese people speak only in japanese when being interviewed by media, its a way that they give value to their own language. I personally like it, they speak in ther tongue, being closer to their own and somebody does the translating job to any other languages.

As a brazilian I take UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) as a good example of why people value this, when Brazilian fighter gives an interview after a fight they are only allowed to speak in English while the most important fans of theirs can't understand (people might even boo them if they don't give a word in portuguese :lol:), the only way they are allowed to speak portuguese is if they deem themselves of not having a good enough english so that they can have a translator and all of their fans can understand them.

So, it basically comes down to wanting to talk mostly with their own people and fans. Maybe it isn't that big of a problem if you're german, as english is more inteligible by the german-speaking.

I prefer translator style :

Malaysian can speak Malay
Chinese speak in Mandarin
Filipino speak in Tagalog
Jews in ancient Aramaic Hebrew

Filipino speak in Tagalog
Haha, I wish that's still the case for our country :)
But I digress, that topic is a deep rabbit hole questioning our fundamentals and culture.

ESSAY INCOMING

After getting back had the time to decompress and share some thoughts about the event:
  • Can't complain at all how they treat you at these events. More spoiled here than at the Nurburgring and they couldn't have picked a better location.
  • This felt a lot tighter and slick than Nurburgring from a production and setup point of view, a few hiccups on the Friday but those didn't impact the final results.
  • Qualifying importance was about right this time. Again I'd rather it was in a more 'representative' car than a X Bow at Yamagiwa, I certainly wasn't down at about 30th fastest in the X2014 or Gr1 :lol:
  • Those racing gloves may look cool but they are so thick it's very hard to get any feedback from the wheel itself. Boots I had no issue with but again it's definitely worth wearing them in or maybe getting one half a shoe size bigger than normal.
  • Choice of slowdown locations were sometimes weird. Into the Ford Chicane barely lost you any time yet my 0.4 penalty served at the start of the Mulsanne Straight cost me closer to 3! Good idea in principle though.
  • N races if they insist on them should absolutely only be One Make. Even the custom track BoP for the event was off and a lottery. Who was to know the old Corvette C3 would be an absolute rocketship yet the 512 quite slow on the straights.
  • Never pick Willow Springs again please. Better yet just delete it and Alsace and save us all disk space :lol:
  • Manufacturers car assignment was unbalanced and led to the less exciting racing than in Nations. Half of us in cars used in the Official Seasons, then the rest was almost random with trying to put guys in National Manufacturers (me at Aston, Giorgio at Lambo etc.). Aston was an absolute pig to drive, especially at Maggiore yet our pace at Red Bull Ring was very strong. Instead of Nationality it should've been cars with similar characteristics to your FIA pick, so I should've been Lambo or McLaren for something that actually rotates please :lol:
  • Can the Manufacturers winners get a fancy Tag Heuer as well please ;)
  • Asia/Oceania Regionals might be more interesting than we all previously thought. The Japanese guys made some strange car picks and struggled under any pressure, might be just down to travel but surprised us all. I think they use some crazy high torque/sensitivity wheel settings hence why it looked like they were all fighting a bag of ferrets on the wheel!
  • Austrian guys did themselves proud, didn't get into any trouble and all ran at a reasonable pace and were never last. Considering how some on here were moaning at how 2 of them got selected they went and proved them wrong.
  • Fellow pad bois didn't disgrace themselves either, they weren't too different to me at the Nurburgring pace wise. That experience really helped me be able to actually compete towards the sharp end this time.
  • Personal highlight was seeing on the Live Chat the rabid Mercedes fanboy who hates @force ewerby for qualifying for Worlds after some random made up injustice having a go at me for being a pad player and how 'rubbish' I was on the wheel, to then immediately reel in Hungary and France with purple sectors before the final stops and shut him up :P. Think having more skill after 5-6 hours on a wheel than most do in a lifetime was pretty triggering for him.
  • Always nice to put names to faces, and meet some of the team here like @Famine. Again great work by @Tom and @Jimmy B, Jack Nicholls was very nice and hopefully has his pedals working better now after some @Tidgney advice :lol:
  • We got to see Kaz Dancing Round 2, sadly I didn't have my phone out for the occasion.
  • @TRL LIGHTNING escaped serious injury from the lawnmower, hence how he was fit enough to compete and win for Nissan.
Also keep an eye out tomorrow for some exciting developments, you might know some of it already thanks to Adam's little slip of the tongue mid interview :lol:. Also next month is a year since launch, something worth thinking about! I'll see you all again at the Worlds, wherever those might be :sly::D

Also keep an eye out tomorrow for some exciting developments, you might know some of it already thanks to Adam's little slip of the tongue mid interview :lol:. Also next month is a year since launch, something worth thinking about! I'll see you all again at the Worlds, wherever those might be :sly::D

Great summary and great we got some exiting new things to look forward to. Shame you put a wheel in the grass in the final nations race leaving the pitlane. Was hoping for you guys to take the win. Impressive pace when you normally don't use a wheel!

Great summary and great we got some exiting new things to look forward to. Shame you put a wheel in the grass in the final nations race leaving the pitlane. Was hoping for you guys to take the win. Impressive pace when you normally don't use a wheel!

Haha thankfully that didn't have any real impact on the race result, if anything it probably helped :lol:. Meant I could have a few laps without battling to get my braking and turn in points sorted and then push towards the end of the stint and keep in contact with the leaders. Almost impossible to break away from the slipstream unless the cars behind have a pile up.

Im still on the airport but i have to say that having my first ever experience on a wheen with the xbow with confort softs at yamagiwa was a big wake up call for me. I did not expect to be that hard. First try, 5 seconds off pace, second try (qualy) improved to be 3 seconds off pace. If I had a bit more time id hit 55s for sure.

Also struggled a lot on the Farelady. Don't know how good the car actually is but i was reeeally slow on it. Spent the race being conservative and was even slower there than in the practice.

On the red bull standard i did better than these too, but in the race my goal was to not spin and compromise Brasil even more, i only did the minimum of laps as well. Also really bad pace here.

Manu was my best pace. At Redbull i somehow had pace to be in the final top 6 i felt but first i had to qualify tru Maggiore. I was doing all right on practice and on the race i went also conservative afraid of spinning. @mthomas_95 did well to bring the Aston not last, but we needed 6th to qualify.

I knew it would be hard but i loved the wheel. Everything else was perfect, just had problems with my flights and im still not home even tho i was one of the first to leave. Im already 30 hours on the road back but i still have 4 hours to go if theres no more delays.

Can the Manufacturers winners get a fancy Tag Heuer as well please ;)

The watch was not for the winner but for the driver with the fastest lap. I think they would give the watch to the last driver if he had the fastest lap.

It was also the only race where everyone had the same car, so it wouldn't make much sense to give the same prize for Manuf. Unless they would change from fastest lap to winners, which in itself is not as fair, because some people were luckier with their partners or weren't screwed during the races.

At least the fastest lap is all down to skill because everyone had the same car and the winner was not dependent on his partner's performance.

I'm just saying - If they pick a power track to favour the Nissan at the World Finals (They seem to love doing this, Nürburgring, Season 2, Final Season to some extent and now Salzburg all favoured power cars) Me and my Corvette are ok with it and support the decision fully :lol:

Back