FIA Events '18 - World Finals Monaco Finished! Congrats to Team Lexus and Igor Fraga for Brazil!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 2,544 comments
Today is a special monday really , a long time i didn't felt like this , waking up with the same sensation as when Senna was winning his F1 race on sunday.:)
The only difference is that only GT players are feeling this way , not an entire nation as it was around 30 years ago. But , i'm sure that one day in a close future , virtual racing will have a lot more fans and famous champions.
Congrats to you Mr Kaz and to all those fantastics players.

Is there a gif of @TRL LIGHTNING saluting at the camera? That... was hilariously nice lol
And that sneaky cookie gesture :lol:

Ohh_hi.gif

*EDIT*

Last edited:
IMO, Igor didn't deserve to take the title as he made too many mistakes in respectively faster cars overall,compared to Lightning and Makozi. Unfortunately for them, they made a wrong strategy call for the final race which costed them too much in the end.
So, in other words they made their mistakes in the most important race while Igor shined and won from 10th place on the grid. I could not disagree more with your conclusion.

What was up with Nico? I watch his stream often and he is usually toe to toe with Igor, Doodle right behind. He really under performed.

A lot of stuff happened that they didn’t show on camera. Idk why anyone still doubts him after the show he put on in manufacturer Saturday. He and Lloydz are both capable of competing for the win but didn’t get a chance to show it.

Again, another example of not showing people getting wrecked each race and people thinking they’re “underperforming.”

That sucks. They showed mostly top places, like top 6, rest were ignored. Replays for incidents were almost non-existent as well. I mean, it was a great event, but for some reason they ignored most of the collisions. The worst thing is if you get hit in first or second race, you have to work your way back. You are basically out of competition.

They should have qualifications for all races BEFORE event off-camera if they don't want it to prolong the main event. But then you would have a chance to come back.

The Top 3 guys completely deserved their success.

Igor took a big risk by putting on the hard tyres in his first stint of the last race. As was shown in the manufacturers race it is easy to get punted by someone on faster tyres who are impatient to get past. And then his pace was amazing for the whole race. The fact he did it after such a bad result in the previous race makes it even more impressive as a lot of people would have tilted.

Mikhail had to recover from the bad qualifying, and the consistent moves up through the field in all the races showed his quality.

Cody fought through from the repechage to get 3rd overall. That says it all about his driving.

All three drivers showed great skill and temperament to get their result, and remember this is against the best in the world. They aren't just racing against duffers like me :)

Great tournament to watch (congrats to the Lexus boys as well), and big congrats to everyone involved :)

IMO, Igor didn't deserve to take the title as he made too many mistakes in respectively faster cars overall

Igor made 1 big mistake: pitted twice at Monza, where everyone else pitted once, and still finished 10th.

That was it. He went off at the chicane in Monza too but it wasn't that bad (lost 1 place).

The BMW M4 is not the fastest in N500 but is one of the best, for sure. The Jag isn't one of the best Gr.3 cars (tire wear was an issue LIGHTNING had with this car at Dragon Trail in the EMEA final too and Interlagks is way worse for tire wear than DT) and the Sauber, as other Group C cars, just match up to the prototypes IMO.

When it matters, he did perform above everyone else. Qualifying, with a monster lap time and in the final race, starting from 10th with the same car as everyone else.

Even if you take away his points from Interlagos and Monza, he would still win the WC. Car picks are pretty meaningless to what he did IMO.

Of course there's a big chunck of luck in the mix for everyone on track, but he did his job to start on pole, avoiding problems other people had to deal with because they weren't as fast in Q.

PS: I don't think 1 Q session for all 4 races made sense, but within the rules, Igor was the best this time around.

That sucks. They showed mostly top places, like top 6, rest were ignored. Replays for incidents were almost non-existent as well.

Yeah, and then that FIA guy in post race interview says he's very impress with the race craft. It's because he was only shown the guys at the front. Meantime back at the ranch .............................

Agree with you guys, saying Igor didn't deserve the title is absurd. He would have won in Interlagos with the Jag (which is by far not the best at Interlagos) if he didn't get hit after turn 4 and put all wheels on the grass which made he lose grip til the rest of the lap (in lan build grip reduction is prolonged compared to retail version of GTS). His only bad race was on Monza and he had a freaking group C car.

The La Sarthe race was the best performance from a GTS driver ever so far. He made all the aliens look like normal drivers.

I also don't agree with a qualifying being that worthy and cars being drawn. Need a better system.

I'm looking already forward to next year. Surely the participiants this year have taken much experience from it, and everybody will try to do better. Additionally we will see new names who've been inspired by these events. And perhaps some of the "older" generation Aliens that didn't give much on GTS and/ or sportmode will rethink their oppinions.

And, I'm sure some very top names who went down due to different reasons this time will have their "revenge"

I for myself wished that such a game with a DR system online mode and superb Physics and Graphics would've existed in my younger days when I had the time to give a real effort in it and participate reguarly (not that I would've become good then, just for the sake of it :))

Last edited:
Going to preface this comment with... "too lazy to sift through the other 78 pages of this thread" but... what was up with the hosts indicating each race of the final required they all use all 3 compounds, and then people would only pit once? I don't understand how an event of this caliber could have confusion over something like this. Very unfair to those few select drivers that did pit twice.

Overall though very fantastic event, makes me wanna get back into GT Sport despite the complete lack of VR functionality that drew me away from it in the first place. Congrats to Igor Fraga, and a solid effort put on by my fellow Canadian Jeff Gallan @LLOYDZELITE69 , was cheering for you all the way bud! Outstanding achievement even making it to the very end.

Last edited:
Going to preface this comment with... "too lazy to sift through the other 78 pages of this thread" but... what was up with the hosts indicating each race of the final required they all use all 3 compounds, and then people would only pit once? I don't understand how an event of this caliber could have confusion over something like this. Very unfair to those few select drivers that did pit twice.

Overall though very fantastic event, makes me wanna get back into GT Sport despite the complete lack of VR functionality that drew me away from it in the first place. Congrats to Igor Fraga, and a solid effort put on by my fellow Canadian Jeff Gallan @LLOYDZELITE69 , was cheering for you all the way bud! Outstanding achievement even making it to the very end.
Exactly, Jimmer pointed this out at some point too, was confused as hell

If you told me when I bought this game on a whim eight months ago that I would be watching an esports event online after buying, I would have said you’re nuts.
I enjoyed the heck out of the broadcast. Kudos to all involved.
You can really see that everyone involved is doing their best to increase the quality of all aspects of the entire event.
Honestly, I can’t wait to see where this goes from here. There were a couple comments at the end of the official stream that piqued my interest.
Clearly the FIA is committed to staying involved which is huge.
For all the drivers, all of you are awesome and inspirational to all us who enjoy racing. Please keep pushing the envelope of what is possible!
I hope going forward that they continue a commitment to high quality and also ensuring that the format is as fair as possible for the competitors.
For everyone involved you are the tip of the spear and doing a great job!

In hindsight one thing I noticed was Yamanaka who stood out to me as an aggressive driver up to the final, looked totally overwhelmed in the last race.
Nothing against Yamanaka. He went for it. Almost pulled it off. But I think it shows how much more intense the final race was and how all drivers were much more cautious/courteous in the other races and the capacity to be even faster.

I was also thinking about how Fraga could have used his epic tire strategy in any race. But his cyborg like brain calculated the risk/reward and decided only to do when absolutely necessary.

And Hizal. Obviously saving his best for last. Wave to the camera. With Latkovski behind, in front, behind .... calculating point totals while going 300kph.

It's insane how good all the drivers are.

I was also thinking about how Fraga could have used his epic tire strategy in any race. But his cyborg like brain calculated the risk/reward and decided only to do when absolutely necessary.

There was only one strategy for him to use starting on pole from the 1st race, which is to use soft tires and try to build a gap asap. He messed up at Monza because it's Monza. GTS is not real life and it seems impossible to avoid the carnage in the chicanes, and I remember how chaotic it had been even for the aliens in the 24 SS races for every region. Besides that, strategy or skill would be useless anyway because we saw how the leader launched his car to an instant 2 second gap. Poor BOP for that race.

I don't think Igor won because he's a strategist. He did what everyone would do in his situation. He won because of driving skills and his advantage of being a competitive driver in real life since childhood, whereas others were competing outside the comfort of their homes for the first time.

As for the guy who said it was undeserved, wtf. Apart from Monza, which was atypical for everyone, Igor actually did a good race at Interlagos and had a 2 second gap before the pit stop. He lost this gap because of traffic and an inferior car for that track, and he was 1st until half of the last lap.

Youtube total views as of today:

Nations Cup Final (18/11): 88.100
Manufacturers Final (17/11): 73.300
Nations Semi Finals (16/11) : 69.900

Total: ~231.000

giphy.gif

For comparison, Forza's RC WC videos have around 12.000 with the finals, semi finals and preview show combined.

You know how much compare with F1 2018 Esport final? if I not wrong GT Final and F1 Final held on same day

There was only one strategy for him to use starting on pole from the 1st race, which is to use soft tires and try to build a gap asap. He messed up at Monza because it's Monza.

I've seen GTS events with a clean turn 1 at Monza it can happen but the way the contact physics are a small punt at the wrong time could send the car in front off track.

Youtube total views as of today:

Nations Cup Final (18/11): 88.100
Manufacturers Final (17/11): 73.300
Nations Semi Finals (16/11) : 69.900

Total: ~231.000

giphy.gif

For comparison, Forza's RC WC videos have around 12.000 with the finals, semi finals and preview show combined.

And that is without Sony's marketing help,only in the finals Sony started livestreaming the events and the Playstation Executives were at Monaco watching the event,i bet they are going to think about promoting it more from now on.

A few months ago Sony talked about taking Esports seriously in the future and GTSport might be their first venture.

You know how much compare with F1 2018 Esport final? if I not wrong GT Final and F1 Final held on same day

The official F1 YouTube channel promotes the eSports events, so the viewrship is higher. GTSport has not been promoted by any other real life series and their channels.

There wasn't much marketing or promotion by PD/Sony either outside of the GT Sport website and in game.

GTPlanet probably played a big part in promoting, building hype and fostering discussions around the live events. And GTP is an unofficial GT website.

Last edited:
That was a great spectacle, congratulations to Igor (National Pride Intensifies, that last race you were brilliant and you fully deserved that trophy), Hizal and Latkovski, but also to everyone involved in this championship, all the players that reached the finals, narrators, presenters and PD. Seriously, those races were very pleasant to watch, specially the thrilling final. Sure, there are some things to be changed or improved in future championships but, hey, first times are for this, aren't they? :D
I must say too that Duarte Félix da Costa and Filipe Albuquerque did a great job as commentators, with passion and necessary insights, and I hope they continue in future events. And finally probably someone will call me crazy, but hearing Jimmy commenting, specially during peak moments and with a higher pitch, remembered me sometimes of Murray Walker. :lol:

Back