Field of View (FOV aka why does that track look so wide?)

I'm now using "narrowest" on some GT6 cars and enjoying that too. The closer I inch the screen towards me the better it gets. Thanks again to this thread and @MrPix whether it's in GT6, Stock Car Extreme, GTR2 or I hope soon to be Project Cars you have improved my enjoyment of all of them.
The only problem with the narrowest setting in GT6, is then your peripheral vision is severely impaired.

I didn't think the multi monitor options would work without actually having several monitors in GT6. I only have "normal", "narrow" and "narrowest" in my options and I have no idea what the correct distance from my 42" TV is for any of these settings.

@Pseudopod you might be interested in reading this thread:
http://tunerspit.com/forum/showthread.php?2745-Field-of-View-Adjustmen-in-GT5

The default FOV in GT5/6 is 82 degree Horizontal, Pcars also use horizontal degree value, AC uses vertical value, equivalent to 82 Horizontal is about 52 vertical for the same perspective.
Switching from bumper view to cockpit view in GT clearly shows that the FOV are different, also be careful that when you change the FOV in ''Server'' it also affect the 3 settings in Cockpit view.
My favorite and only SIM like in GT is the narrowest, getting the screen as close as possible to the back of the wheel.
It would be great to be able to get the seat a little further back, but it is not possible in GT, the sit is fixed, only the FOV varies.
Bonus of the narrowest setting, it makes the Standard not so bad to drive.

Right. I need to be 50 cm from my TV for the default GT6 FoV to be correct, then. If I get a 55" TV, I can sit at 70 cm and get it right :P. Realistically though, I can't really get closer than a meter without putting my TV on some sort of special mount that would probably be way too expensive if I wanted it to be nice enough looking to have in my living room, so I guess I just need to get an even bigger TV when I replace this one :P.

I wish GT6 had more accurate FoV settings though. Ideally, it should allow us to set an exact field of view for each individual "camera".

Last edited:
Right. I need to be 50 cm from my TV for the default GT6 FoV to be correct, then. If I get a 55" TV, I can sit at 70 cm and get it right :P.

I wish GT6 had more accurate FoV settings though. Ideally, it should allow us to set an exact field of view for each individual "camera".

like this?

2qw3f5g.jpg

Right. I need to be 50 cm from my TV for the default GT6 FoV to be correct, then. If I get a 55" TV, I can sit at 70 cm and get it right :P.

One of the great things about the whole hybriding and garage editor thingy in GT5 was the ability to adjust your FOV. Shows that the game has the built in ability to adjust FOV at will, just not in the official version of the game.

like this?

2qw3f5g.jpg
Yes, that's something any serious sim should have.

I just hope GT7 gets morpheus support. That would be such a space-saver.

A VR headset with a 90 degree field of view is like sitting a meter away from a 90 inch TV. Oculus rift has slightly more than 90 degrees horizontally, and I don't imagine Sony will release a device with less than what their main and only competitor has.

Yes, that's something any serious sim should have.

I just hope GT7 gets morpheus support. That would be such a space-saver.

A VR headset with a 90 degree field of view is like sitting a meter away from a 90 inch TV. Oculus rift has slightly more than 90 degrees horizontally, and I don't imagine Sony will release a device with less than what their main and only competitor has.
Morpheus is 120fps. I'm no expert but I can't see any next gen racing game on the PS4 running at that refresh rate without a serious hit to graphics and car count.

Morpheus is 120fps. I'm no expert but I can't see any next gen racing game on the PS4 running at that refresh rate without a serious hit to graphics and car count.

Morphues will achieve 120 fps by making use of frame doubling

"Sony doubled the refresh rate of the previous prototype by creating another frame between two given frames in the 60fps (frames-per-second) output. Developers can still render their games in 60fps, but the headset is able to output them in 120fps.

Sony calls this technique “reprojection.” Sony is planning to release a software development kit (SDK) to output images in 120fps."

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2892...us-ps4-headset-with-bigger-faster-screen.html

- and as described in blowfishrulez's link, the field of view has also been expanded to 100 degrees in the current prototype.
As a future PS4 Project CARS (and GT7 if it delivers) racer, I'm really looking forward to Project Morpheus too 👍

So... I´ve use the FoV calculator (thanks @MrPix), and based on my setup (32 inches display at 77cm) it says I should use a 50º FoV in PCars.
Anyone has an idea what is the best view in GT6 to get that or close to that?

Thanks

So... I´ve use the FoV calculator (thanks @MrPix), and based on my setup (32 inches display at 77cm) it says I should use a 50º FoV in PCars.
Anyone has an idea what is the best view in GT6 to get that or close to that?

Thanks
GT6= 100% | 90% | 75% | 69% | 50%
AC = 52 | 47 | 39 | 36 | 26
PC = 81 | 75 | 64 | 60 | 44

Dunno what the predefined settings are. I set my GT6 FoV using the multi monitor options.

50° hFoV is....50/81*100=62% In the GT6 Multi Monitor Settings

So what you're say is that with the software installed on a PC and a Playstation Eye ($7.99 on Amazon), you can have motion-sensing, head-tracking FOV? That's pretty awesome.
If all of that is true...there aren't enough "Likes" available for your post.
Update on this. It absolutely works. You need to download the PSEye driver (pm me if you want it for free), tinker with factracker settings and it works as advertised. Worked for Raceroom, anyway. I need to refine the settings to make it a LOT less sensitive, but it has pretty solid potential as a very low cost head tracking option.

I understand it as kind of a strange dynamic FoV setting, giving you high FoV at low speeds and a lower FoV at high speeds. This is meant to even out the sense of speed depending on your actual speed, giving you a rush at 50 km/h and precision at 250 km/h. I can't stand that though, so i don't use it and go low FoV all the time.

I understand it as kind of a strange dynamic FoV setting, giving you high FoV at low speeds and a lower FoV at high speeds. This is meant to even out the sense of speed depending on your actual speed, giving you a rush at 50 km/h and precision at 250 km/h. I can't stand that though, so i don't use it and go low FoV all the time.
That should only work for helmet view, imo.

Cmon, what user with a need for simulation does that?! ;)

Everything dynamic should be in helmet cam. Standard cockpit cam: nearly fixed.

Just my opinion. You can try to tell me I'm wrong. I'm always listening and not shy to change my point of view.

Edit: alright, we need/want a lot of people to have fun with Pcars. So that might be a point. I was referring to sim fans only. My fault.

Cmon, what user with a need for simulation does that?! ;)

Everything dynamic should be in helmet cam. Standard cockpit cam: nearly fixed.

Just my opinion. You can try to tell me I'm wrong. I'm always listening and not shy to change my point of view.

Edit: alright, we need/want a lot of people to have fun with Pcars. So that might be a point. I was referring to sim fans only. My fault.

Not judging you :cheers: The effect is pretty weird and even not often seen on gameplay videos.

Not judging you :cheers: The effect is pretty weird and even not often seen on gameplay videos.
After hearing folks on here talk about the settings and the time it took to get it "right" for them and having played Raceroom last night with all of its setting for FFB and view, I am not looking forward to all of the trial and error which will be involved in setting pCARS up just right so I can play and enjoy it to its fullest.

After hearing folks on here talk about the settings and the time it took to get it "right" for them and having played Raceroom last night with all of its setting for FFB and view, I am not looking forward to all of the trial and error which will be involved in setting pCARS up just right so I can play and enjoy it to its fullest.
yeah i'll probably complete one race when i buy it, then spend the next hour tweaking the camera and other settings before i race again lol

In all games I play I have to set everything up first. Sometimes it really takes some time.

btw: in the settings, can I actually see a preview screen or something when setting up all that graphic stuff or do I have to enter a race to see what I just changed?!

It's worth it. After you tailor everything to your taste (wheel, aids, graphics, sounds) it really tops the experience of an 'out of the box' racer that will feel restricted afterwards.

In all games I play I have to set everything up first. Sometimes it really takes some time.

btw: in the settings, can I actually see a preview screen or something when setting up all that graphic stuff or do I have to enter a race to see what I just changed?!
Same here. I won't do any serious lapping until I spend some time, probably hours, setting up the FFB, cockpit views, sound etc. It's worth it to me to spend that extra time up front so that I'm not constantly fiddling with settings as I'm trying to go fast and get a hang of the physics.

Back