Field of View (FOV aka why does that track look so wide?)

Same here. I won't do any serious lapping until I spend some time, probably hours, setting up the FFB, cockpit views, sound etc. It's worth it to me to spend that extra time up front so that I'm not constantly fiddling with settings as I'm trying to go fast and get a hang of the physics.

For me it will depend on how much I like the default set up. If it is great I think I'll play with the settings after a few races. If it's hugely different to my preferences then I'll probably spend a few hours playing with my virtual knobs.

What does "Field of View Speed Sensitivity" which he switched off do? I will be using the narrowest Setting that allowes me to use the driver's side window without turning my head.

What does "Field of View Speed Sensitivity" which he switched off do?

Its a dynamic modulation of your FOV, depending on your speed. It'll give you a wider FOV on low speeds and a narrow FOV at high speeds. It aims to keep the speed sensation constant and allows you to see more of the opponents in slow corners, while breaking points at the end of high speed straights can be hit more consistently. I don't really like the effect and turned it off.

Its a dynamic modulation of your FOV, depending on your speed. It'll give you a wider FOV on low speeds and a narrow FOV at high speeds. It aims to keep the speed sensation constant and allows you to see more of the opponents in slow corners, while breaking points at the end of high speed straights can be hit more consistently. I don't really like the effect and turned it off.

Thank you, I don't think I would like that either.

You guys should probably watch the first few minutes of this video. Especially starting around 0:40 seconds.

I've just found out what I'll be doing for the first couple of hours then... :P

also is free camera going to be left in? and can you race in that mode? because if so then I really can live out my Ace Ventura head out of the window camera fantasies! :cheers:

I've just found out what I'll be doing for the first couple of hours then... :P

also is free camera going to be left in? and can you race in that mode? because if so then I really can live out my Ace Ventura head out of the window camera fantasies! :cheers:
I'd also like to know if free camera can set up a race view. I was a little disappointed that there is no left/right adjustment in the cockpit. Note, can you members please mention that in your forums? In AC I adjust just about every car with the real rearview mirror on the screen and the A pillar just in sight on the left. I'd rather do that than have to use the virtual mirror on some cars.

You mean video?

Just another video showing the differences between FOV settings and the Sense of Speed they represent.
That's not what that video shows. It shows that with two different size monitors you get the same scaled image but with more visual information obviously on a wider screen. Although there are two different FOV's, they are proportionally equivalent given the different screen sizes. The wider screen has a better sense of speed because it's wider, not because of the different FOV.

That's not what that video shows. It shows that with two different size monitors you get the same scaled image but with more visual information obviously on a wider screen. Although there are two different FOV's, they are proportionally equivalent given the different screen sizes. The wider screen has a better sense of speed because it's wider, not because of the different FOV.
^

This gentlemen, is what outsmarting people looks like :banghead: :bowdown:

^

This gentlemen, is what outsmarting people looks like :banghead: :bowdown:
Sorry man:ouch:. Empty Box illustrates it quite well in his video in the OP. Around the 5:20 mark he begins switching the FOV while driving at Daytona and the differences are obvious.

OH what a great post, I've been arguing this with he children on here for ages. "naaah cockpit view is the best, so realistic" bloody kids.

So, using the FOV calculator http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de I have to set FOV to 36 (40" (89cm wide) with my eyes 135cm away from screen) wich is pretty low, imo!

Can anyone with a rig or a comparable setup help me out on this?! I was driving with the default settings the last few weeks.

Just out of curiosity I tried the calculator and it gave me 40 as the POV I should use. I set this and then went into cockpit view at that. I definitely like the view better than the default 80 but it also gives me no visibility of the mirrors nor instruments so if I do not turn on the HUD I have no info on tires, revs, speed nor what is behind me. The default 80 to me feels like driving from the backseat and lots of obstructions in the fov. The only positive in the 80 view is that you can see the side view mirror.

I personally prefer the hood view with fov around 80 and the HUD on for speed, revs and mirror.

If only the hud would include optional side view mirrors would be golden,

So, using the FOV calculator http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de I have to set FOV to 36 (40" (89cm wide) with my eyes 135cm away from screen) wich is pretty low, imo!

Can anyone with a rig or a comparable setup help me out on this?! I was driving with the default settings the last few weeks.
I use the Project Immersion Calculator for all my sims. Try that and see what it comes up with because yours looks a little low to me. Make sure you use diagonal measurement for the screen. I believe it only goes up to 127 cm distance but it should be close enough. I'm about 45" away from a 55" screen, giving a setting of 55 which is what I use.

I use the Project Immersion Calculator for all my sims. Try that and see what it comes up with because yours looks a little low to me. Make sure you use diagonal measurement for the screen. I believe it only goes up to 127 cm distance but it should be close enough. I'm about 45" away from a 55" screen, giving a setting of 55 which is what I use.

I sit 150cm away from a 65" plasma and I got a setting of 55 also (I used a different calc)

I prefer to set my FOV where I can see my side mirror with hitting my look left button.

I found that you can unmap your lights and windshield wipers to temporarily map move seat forward and back, then once set go back unmap seat and remap lights and wipers again.

I found that you can unmap your lights and windshield wipers to temporarily map move seat forward and back, then once set go back unmap seat and remap lights and wipers again.
Not sure I understand this part. Can you explain? Are you saying that you can move the seating position further if you don't map the wipers and lights?

Not sure I understand this part. Can you explain? Are you saying that you can move the seating position further if you don't map the wipers and lights?

Absolutely!!! just reassign your wipers and lights to move seat backward and forward, go and adjust your seat to preference, then go back and remap those buttons back to lights and wipers, I like to keep my driver side mirror always in view, it makes a great difference to me.

Absolutely!!! just reassign your wipers and lights to move seat backward and forward, go and adjust your seat to preference, then go back and remap those buttons back to lights and wipers, I like to keep my driver side mirror always in view, it makes a great difference to me.

You are talking about on the PS4 I guess. I think that is what confused Johnnypenso.

Great find !
I assigned seat forward/backward/up/down to the D-pad (PS4) and discovered that I want these controls all the time, because they influence the view and feel far more than I thought. So it is time for Sony/SMS or who ever to let us use a button box on consoles too.
Can't keep this settings because wipers and lights are needed too.
Wonder if it would/could be possible to save the seat and FOV settings per car ?

You are talking about on the PS4 I guess. I think that is what confused Johnnypenso.

Nah' It was the process Johnnypenso was asking about, he would have asked if it were something different, Project CARS FOV is his thread, and he knows the game better than I do LOL!!! Sometime I stubble across something and just share.

Back