Field of View (FOV aka why does that track look so wide?)

Im still changing mine back n forth, Seem to be going between 55 and 65

This guys FOV in RR is perfect but i struggle to recreate it in PCARS as you rarely see the bonnet.

Bit of help here guys, took this pic from GAF which is slightly similar to the FOV im looking for...

NkUJDx.jpg

To get it like the FOV i want would i lower the seat, move seat forward a bit and angle the view up slightly?

Im finding in PCARS you see a hell of alot of roof in the game.

Last edited:
Bit of help here guys, took this pic from GAF which is slightly similar to the FOV im looking for...

NkUJDx.jpg

To get it like the FOV i want would i lower the seat, move seat forward a bit and angle the view up slightly?
That looks like it's about 60 FOV. As far as i know you can only move the seat forward/backwards a bit no? I haven't found left/right or up/down?

Darn i better check my buttons again then :)

edit: And i set the FOV at 58 now. Although the track is a tiny bit more narrow and it might be less realistic than 55, at least i can see more of the interior.

Last edited:
Spent 3 hours last night changing the cockpit cam for every car, Most cars the camera was very low down so put the seat up then angled the view down slightly so you can see the dials so it's very much like that Race Room video and now i can see the bonnet of cars :)

Was a project and a half! So many loading screens :lol: Well worth it though much better view of the road and so much easier to judge corners and to judge the distance to other cars.

Last edited:
Spent 3 hours last night changing the cockpit cam for every car, Most cars the camera was very low down so put the seat up then angled the view down slightly so you can see the dials so it's very much like that Race Room video and now i can see the bonnet of cars :)

Was a project and a half! So many loading screens :lol: Well worth it though much better view of the road and so much easier to judge corners and to judge the distance to other cars.
Better make a backup of your save file now lol.

Just booted the game up, The cockpit views did not save! OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a waste of 3 bloody hours :banghead:

On a plus i have found out lights n wipers work by themselves after mapping angle up and down to their buttons.

That's Odd my lights and wipers didn't work work automatically, and I only did it with one car, sorry it didn't completely work out with what you were trying, but you saved everyone else a big headache, thanx for the info.

That's Odd my lights and wipers didn't work work automatically, and I only did it with one car, sorry it didn't completely work out with what you were trying, but you saved everyone else a big headache, thanx for the info.
If you dont have the buttons mapped for lights n wipers they should work by themselves.

I sit about 5 feet away from a 40" screen; what FOV settings should I have to give the best sense of speed in all views without objects getting zoomed out?

I don't know what the advanced camera settings are for.. there's no explanation in the menus.

A major complaint though is the lack of innertia and movement in bumper cam. It only tilts left/right to indicate suspension behaviour during cornering. You don't really feel bumps or the nose dipping/rising as you pick up or lose speed.

Bumper cam is my favorite to use. How can I make it appear more lively? I have camera shake on 100% but it feels flat and dead.

I sit about 5 feet away from a 40" screen; what FOV settings should I have to give the best sense of speed in all views without objects getting zoomed out?

I don't know what the advanced camera settings are for.. there's no explanation in the menus.

A major complaint though is the lack of innertia and movement in bumper cam. It only tilts left/right to indicate suspension behaviour during cornering. You don't really feel bumps or the nose dipping/rising as you pick up or lose speed.

Bumper cam is my favorite to use. How can I make it appear more lively? I have camera shake on 100% but it feels flat and dead.

Err... hello??

*crickets*

Err... hello??

*crickets*
Since I used bumper cam in GT (it was really an "inside the car, next to drivers head" cam) I also tried it in PCars.
i could not make it work to my likings either, so I switched to cockpit. Much more realistic and much more immersive. Fiddle with the FOV and the seat settings and you will like it.
Really. Takes a little time to get used to, but it is a lot better than GT's cockpit view.
I removed the wheel and driver, because I did not want two wheels and an extra pair of hands/arms to distract me.
Now it looks pretty real.

Since I used bumper cam in GT (it was really an "inside the car, next to drivers head" cam) I also tried it in PCars.
i could not make it work to my likings either, so I switched to cockpit. Much more realistic and much more immersive. Fiddle with the FOV and the seat settings and you will like it.
Really. Takes a little time to get used to, but it is a lot better than GT's cockpit view.
I removed the wheel and driver, because I did not want two wheels and an extra pair of hands/arms to distract me.
Now it looks pretty real.

I don't mind PCARS' cockpit view; it's actually pretty good, the helmet cam in particular. But sometimes, you just want an adrenaline rush and see the open track ahead, just hovering a few inches off your face! :D

Unfortunately, in this game, it just feels dead and dull. Feels like your car is a high-speed tram with no suspension! :lol:

GT and FM4 both had the same bumper cam - essentially a driver's head cam without the cockpit dash. Too high.

FM5 does it just right - sits nice and low, you feel every bump and know exactly what the suspension and all four tires are doing. Not to mention the white-knuckled sense of speed once you turn off motion effects.

Can someone please post min/max camera speed sensitivity settings? There are 4 sliders in the menu, and I'm not sure how to set them properly in order to relay a good sense of speed without making the car look like its trying to slide out from underneath me while accelerating.

I'm looking for ideal settings without going into warp drive!

Also, how can I get the camera to stay fixed on the car so I can get a better sense of what the suspension is doing, particularly under braking and acceleration?

One final question on FOV and camera lean: 80 seems good but anything below 90, and the sense of speed isn't all that great. Aside from the helmet lean option, what's camera lean? Does it mean the driver's head leaning left and right while cornering in cockpit views? Or the camera itself leaning left/right forward/back?

I'd also like the bumper cam to sit lower to the track, it seems a bit high for some cars.

The number of options in this game is a precursor to Alzheimer's I swear!

Thanks.

Can someone please post min/max camera speed sensitivity settings? There are 4 sliders in the menu, and I'm not sure how to set them properly in order to relay a good sense of speed without making the car look like its trying to slide out from underneath me while accelerating.
There are two slides that define the minimum speed at which the effect starts and the speed when the effect is maximum.
The 2 other slides are the said minimum and maximum FOV modification, in percentage.

Obviously the more % you change and the closer min/max speeds are set and the more you'll notice the effect.
Mine are something like 40/290kph and 95/105 effect amplitude.

Aside from the helmet lean option, what's camera lean?
Helmet lean is the template of the helmet on the sides of the screen, camera lean is the actual camera lean.

There are two slides that define the minimum speed at which the effect starts and the speed when the effect is maximum.
The 2 other slides are the said minimum and maximum FOV modification, in percentage.

Obviously the more % you change and the closer min/max speeds are set and the more you'll notice the effect.
Mine are something like 40/290kph and 95/105 effect amplitude.

Helmet lean is the template of the helmet on the sides of the screen, camera lean is the actual camera lean.

Thanks for the input 👍

I'm still somewhat lost about the 4 sliders... how can I get the most sensation of speed at low and especially high speeds, without going into warp drive?

I'll try out your settings though and post mine as well.

Cheers.

The closest i have got to that amazing RR video!

Sadly it's imposibble to recreate on other race cars ive tried thus far.

Last edited:
I've gotten the FOV and camera settings just right to relay speed, accuracy AND suspension feedback - that last one, the camera settings can really affect how realistic the cam movement clicks with what the car's doing.

Unfortunately, there's no direct way to upload vids here.

Private IM me for settings. Or I could post em' here. Whatever.

Cheers.

Back