FIFA World Cup 2010 Finals Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,827 comments
Nothing to do with France 98? :sly:
And the quarter-finals in 2006. :grumpy:

Funny, the Sky Fantasy Football website's countdown to kickoff clock says the WC starts in 5:40 hours, but the first game starts in less than 2 hours.

Dont forget Suarez on Uruguay's team as well... Scored 30+ goals last season for Ajax... Very dangerous striker...

It's hardly racsim. Just a casual football fan not interested in the minor games of the WC.

I think you can safely class Bongo Bongoland as casual racism.

Drew Brazil in my company's sweepstake. As much as i'd like to see England do well, £30 is £30 at the end of the day ;)

EDIT: sorry Dan_ just re-read that and it come out wrong, I am not calling you a fool, just pointing out that these teams have a very realistic chance of picking up the trophy ;)

;), Relax dude, no offense taken. :D

Talking about chances, all the countries are equal by the start of the cup, and that's math. However, I find it difficult for Italy and France to improve their game from all of a sudden. Germany and Portugal are nice teams, but I didn't bet any money on them, I'm sticking to Holland and Spain and of course Brazil.

Just having the best names doesn't make your team a winner, playing as a team does. Holland and Spain are doing this awesomely, that's why they're the absolute favourites.

I sure wish good luck to Greece, they will really need it. They did qualify back in 1994 and lost all three games with no goals, ironically this year they have nearly the same identical group as they did back in 1994, with only one difference: They had Bulgaria back in 1994 this year Korea Republic is in their place.

@Dan_

I think you forgot Argentina... :) I think they should not be underestimated either...

@Dan_

I think you forgot Argentina... :) I think they should not be underestimated either...

Being our major rival, Argentina is always strong opposition, but this time they don't have a real coach. Maradona was an awesome player ( second best in history. :D ) but he completely suck as a coach, he has a bunch of awesome players, many good strikers that you can't even count on your fingers, fantastic midfielders who combines technique to defensive power and reliable defenders.

NOTE: I work for a Spanish banking institution, right now, sitting in front of me there is a Spaniard, two Argentineans whose desks are all in white and blue and a sea, all in Yellow and Green. :D I love this atmosphere.

This plus a million nothing to so with having them in my sweep

I know this is infantile but does anyone else think of Homer Simpson saying "U-R-Gay" when they see Uruguay? :P

Well, to be honest, there's only six teams which can actually win the world cup:

Netherlands, England, Argentina, Brazil, Spain and perhaps France.......

According to ITV (UK) only five teams have reached the last seven World Cup Finals err Final, that's some statistic.

In case you've not figured it out...Germany, France, Brazil, Argentina and Italy.

Just watched the opening ceremony, excellent showing and the teams names and official logo displays are worth looking out for. 👍

Being our major rival, Argentina is always strong opposition, but this time they don't have a real coach. Maradona was an awesome player ( second best in history. :D ) but he completely suck as a coach, he has a bunch of awesome players, many good strikers that you can't even count on your fingers, fantastic midfielders who combines technique to defensive power and reliable defenders.

NOTE: I work for a Spanish banking institution, right now, sitting in front of me there is a Spaniard, two Argentineans whose desks are all in white and blue and a sea, all in Yellow and Green. :D I love this atmosphere.

I agree with you on Maradonna... But knowing how he is I think he might have some tricks up his sleeves... :)

And I know what you mean about the atmosphere... Everything is Orange in the office here... :lol:

This plus a million nothing to so with having them in my sweep

I know this is infantile but does anyone else think of Homer Simpson saying "U-R-Gay" when they see Uruguay? :P

MMMMMMMM.... U-R-Gay..... Still thought, MMMMMMM..... Something.... Was his best one 'til now..... :P

Speaking of Homer have you seen the Nike(?) commercial where C. Ronaldo shoots it through his legs when he opens the door?? "Ronal.... DOH!!!!" :P

Why is the opening ceremony only on ITV (in the UK)? Fortunately I'm in work so I've been spared the pain of listening to them, did they come out with any more retarded comments?

MMMMMMMM.... U-R-Gay..... Still thought, MMMMMMM..... Something.... Was his best one 'til now..... :P

Speaking of Homer have you seen the Nike(?) commercial where C. Ronaldo shoots it through his legs when he opens the door?? "Ronal.... DOH!!!!" :P

Yes, awesome :D Must have cost them a fortune.

It's ITV, they've probably already started one of their special competitions with the question:

"A game of Football involves..."

a) Two sides
b) Three sides
c) The lion, the witch and the wardrobe

This maybe a mis-quote but, some blonde on ITV has just said that....

the sound of the horns, for those who haven't experienced it, is like having tinnitus but less comfortable

I'm guessing I'll have the tv on mute before too long :lol:

This maybe a mis-quote but, some blonde on ITV has just said that....

You wont have too... The FIFA banned vuvuzelas out of all stadiums :D

Atleast, thats what I heard on the news here yesterday....

Edit: Just came across this as well...

During the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Hyundai and a local South African advertising agency called Jupiter Drawing Room created the largest working vuvuzela in the world - 114 feet (35 m) long - on an unfinished flyover road in Cape Town.[20] The vuvuzela is powered by several air horns attached at the mouth piece end, and it will be blown at the beginning of each of the World Cup Matches.

114 ft?!?!! That should make a lot of noise I imagine...

They may have banned them (I doubt it though) but judging from the sound inside the stadium right now, the ban ain't workin'...

Really? I hadn't heard that. I was kind of looking forward to the competition of the Vuvuzelas and the trumpets of Mexico :scared:

Im actually not sure now either... because I heard them say it specifically on the news yesterday... However, when I try and look for links I dont find anything about it...

Dont forget Suarez on Uruguay's team as well... Scored 30+ goals last season for Ajax... Very dangerous striker...

Indeed, that's exactly why I have money on them winning at 125 - 1

Still pretty unlikely though. :indiff:

They make the whole stadium sound like its full of angry hornets. :scared:

Why is the opening ceremony only on ITV (in the UK)? Fortunately I'm in work so I've been spared the pain of listening to them, did they come out with any more retarded comments?

Yes, awesome :D Must have cost them a fortune.

It will, but I bet its nothing compared to how much it would cost them, to run the full length advert during the world cup final half-time advert break.

Indeed, that's exactly why I have money on them winning at 125 - 1

Still pretty unlikely though. :indiff:

I hope they show France a thing or two.. :) That would be great imo... Then I can also bug my French colleague at work like I did with the last European Cup when Holland ROMPED France in the group phase...

Well I have a lot of faith in Holland doing well this world cup, the should have won that last european cup, if they hadn't lost their heads against Russia. :indiff:

^^^ That was a disappointing match yes, I agree.... I believe Hiddink played a huge roll in that loss... He was just too smart for good ole Van Basten...

Of course I hope Holland wins as well... but I'm am really worried about the defensive line... Attacking and midfield is off the charts, but the defense is just not up to par imo with the rest of the team...

It will, but I bet its nothing compared to how much it would cost them, to run the full length advert during the world cup final half-time advert break.

:ouch:

Apparently there's an iPhone vuvuzelas app!!! That's going to make the pub annoying :grumpy:

^^ Wise decision.

Well, here at my workplace we always try to guess the game results. I'm guessing a Mexican win for the opening match, 2x1. Your guesses for this game fellow GTPers? :D

Part of me wanted to support South Africa for this match, but i've been put off slightly, by Adrian Chiles telling me I should support them because its morally right. :rolleyes:

I have no idea how good either of these teams are so I'm rooting for a host victory, 2-1.

The match is about to start and the sound in the Stadium is really LOUD...

Well, here at my workplace we always try to guess the game results. I'm guessing a Mexican win for the opening match, 2x1. Your guesses for this game fellow GTPers?

I bet in a opening Draw...2-2.

Mexico 2 - 0 South Africa

...although I do want South Africa to win...

Part of me wanted to support South Africa for this match, but i've been put off slightly, by Adrian Chiles telling me I should support them because its morally right. :rolleyes:
:lol:

ITV have really pushed the boat out this year... Adrian Chiles and Jim Rosenthal :ill:

Back