FIFA World Cup 2010 Finals Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,827 comments
Sorry gunners, this picture was taken 5min ago...

cescbarca1_470x300.jpg

Puyol and Pique tried to dress him with a FC Barcelona shirt... and they did it! lol

I actually came to this thread because of this ,I am sorry but this has gone to far these 🤬 idiots have no respect whatsoever ,are you 🤬 kidding me he doesn't play for your club and Wenger told your 🤬 president to literraly :censored:it.Just look at how Cesc looked when they gave him his shirt he is not going anywhere period no matter what these disrespectful jokers do.:grumpy:

Pleased with the result - Spain deserved to win, and although Holland had chances, their conduct was disgraceful (as Alan Hansen put it) in the first half. I disagree that the ref had a bad game - I thought he handled it pretty well, although he could easily have made some very different decisions... but possibly at the risk of destroying an already poor game. Also, Iniesta was not offside, even in the first passage of play - atleast that is the way it looked when the BBC reviewed it, so it looked a perfectly fair goal to me. Still, De Jong should have walked for that karate kick challenge, but I think a red for Robben would have been extremely harsh under the circumstances. Still, Spain conducted themselves with considerably more discipline and patience, and deserved to win without having to resort to the lottery of penalties - and Iniesta's finish was sublime.
+1

This:
Spain deserved to win
and
although Holland had chances, their conduct was disgraceful

Last edited:
^^^ Tired of people claiming their (Holland) conduct was disgraceful. They commited a couple of bad fouls but this sums it up best...

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...w-people-who-became-hated-after-the-world-cup

Howard Webb

The worst refereeing performance of all time in a World Cup Final was sadly done by Howard Webb. He issued out a record 14 yellow cards and one red, the most in a Final.

More so, he missed a ghastly challenge by De Jong as aforementioned. It wasn't all dirty from Holland, as Iniesta dived to get John Heitinga sent off. He then missed a corner of a free-kick.
Dutch prodigy Elia was manhandled by the defenders and Webb turned deaf ears and eyes.

Arjen Robben was clean through goal and then dragged back by Carles Puyol, and Webb did nothing.
It looked like a game that should have had those many cards, but they were handed out to the wrong people. I feel bad for the English Premier League now

Holland played dirty but so did Spain...

-Edit:

Before the flaming begins they mention this as well which I agree with too...

Total Football By the Dutch?

Holland won all their games, including beating Brazil and Uruguay.

Then came Spain in the final. They then resulted in the dirtiest tactics ever in World Cup finals history. De Jong was lucky to be on after kicking Xabi Alonso square in the chest. Van Bommel forgot that tackles have to be timed, and just tackled recklessly. Arjen Robben kept going down very easily, and it became hard to tell when he was even really tackled

Last edited:
Holland played dirty but so did Spain...
True, some Spanish players deserve criticism as well - however, it was clear from the outset that Holland's strategy was to stop Spain from playing and I for one agree with the assessment that this was a pre-conceived strategy... a view shared by no less that Johan Cruyff. I hope the Dutch players - with all their immense skill - take Cruyff's severe criticism to heart. It is a great pity that the Dutch team elected to adopt such an aggresive style of play in what was meant to be the absolute pinnacle of the sport - the World Cup Final - and ended up embarrassing themselves.

As for Webb's role in the game, I thought he handled the game reasonably well, even though he clearly made a few mistakes as well as plenty of questionable decisions. That said, I reckon that his carding decisions were not errors, but rather judgement calls. You could argue that he didn't stamp his authority on the game early enough and that this led to a plethora of bookings later in the game - but I reckon that the players must take much of the blame for their behaviour. If Webb had been more strict, Holland would have been down to 9 men before half time, and they would be lucky to have had 8 players on the field by the end of the game. Imagine the criticism Webb would have got if he had done that? Apart from anything else, it would have killed the game stone dead. I'm not sure how a referee is supposed to handle a situation where some players (van Bommel for instance) were clearly intent on disrupting play, without ruining the game. The short answer is they can't - and I reckon it was the aggresive attitude of the players (not only the Dutch, but some Spanish too) that ensured the game would be a rotten one.

Last edited:
As for Webb's role in the game, I thought he handled the game reasonably well, even though he clearly made a few mistakes as well as plenty of questionable decisions. That said, I reckon that his carding decisions were not errors, but rather judgement calls. You could argue that he didn't stamp his authority on the game early enough and that this led to a plethora of bookings later in the game - but I reckon that the players must take much of the blame for their behaviour. If Webb had been more strict, Holland would have been down to 9 men before half time, and they would be lucky to have had 8 players on the field by the end of the game. Imagine the criticism Webb would have got if he had done that? Apart from anything else, it would have killed the game stone dead. I'm not sure how a referee is supposed to handle a situation where some players (van Bommel for instance) were clearly intent on disrupting play, without ruining the game. The short answer is they can't - and I reckon it was the aggresive attitude of the players (not only the Dutch, but some Spanish too) that ensured the game would be a rotten one.

This makes total sense to me,if he had been more strict people ,now,would be complaining how the referee was the protagonist of the game and spoiled the pinnacle of World football spectacle...FIFA chose Webb because English referees are known to"let play" and understand the game better-which is true IMHO-and therefore contribute to the Party that the W.C. Final is.
If he had taken out the (at least ) 3 players who clearly deserved it he would make the football history books remember him as a villain...this way the only thing people will remember in a few years(maybe months) is that Spain is the new World Champion:indiff: (struggling with his own fingers which try to resist to type this sacrilege:sly: )and that Holland gave them a good fight(did I just type that:dopey:) and was a worthy opponent...:)

Can't you take a joke? Next time use this (The Swearing Periodic Table):

http://i28.tinypic.com/14uytfs.jpg

And that's Pepe Reina, second goalkeeper and future speaker. He's the funniest guy in the team and a total master of making a party go up.

I am sure if it was you team captain you won't be laughing and trust me mate that is far from a joke that is a message and one they won't fulfill (I hope :D )

True, some Spanish players deserve criticism as well - however, it was clear from the outset that Holland's strategy was to stop Spain from playing and I for one agree with the assessment that this was a pre-conceived strategy... a view shared by no less that Johan Cruyff. I hope the Dutch players - with all their immense skill - take Cruyff's severe criticism to heart. It is a great pity that the Dutch team elected to adopt such an aggresive style of play in what was meant to be the absolute pinnacle of the sport - the World Cup Final - and ended up embarrassing themselves.

I read his responses as well and I do agree... I hope the Dutch players learn from this and take that knowledge to Euro 2012 :)

This is a hard one... Its always easy to blame the ref for bad calls and such. But I just think that a ref should be resolute in his decisions and set the tone to begin with. I mean, asking for cards and diving should just be punished right away and appropriately, alongside the harsh fouls commited by Van Bommel and De Jong. That way those tactics get cancelled out right away since players know what will happen to them... Also someone should set Sepp Blatter straight and bring in instant replays technology, his explanations as to why its shouldnt be implemented are just so bogus it boggles my mind...

This makes total sense to me,if he had been more strict people ,now,would be complaining how the referee was the protagonist of the game and spoiled the pinnacle of World football spectacle...FIFA chose Webb because English referees are known to"let play" and understand the game better-which is true IMHO-and therefore contribute to the Party that the W.C. Final is.
If he had taken out the (at least ) 3 players who clearly deserved it he would make the football history books remember him as a villain...this way the only thing people will remember in a few years(maybe months) is that Spain is the new World Champion:indiff: (struggling with his own fingers which try to resist to type this sacrilege:sly: )and that Holland gave them a good fight(did I just type that:dopey:) and was a worthy opponent...:)

Im glad both of you can see it from both sides... Ive seen too many sites and people making the Dutch team out to be barbarians and the Spanish like angels... In the end they both played dirty albeit in different ways... 👍 The final couldve been so much better if different tactics would have been employed.

Well, opinions are personal and as much as I agree that Iniesta dive just changed the course of the game, De Jong Kung-fu move was even more impressing, deserved a straight red and was commited in the first half, so if we discuss the referee and not game, or which team was the dirtiest, we'll get to the conclusion that no one really deserved to win the game.

Also, Fabregas will be playing for Barça, is just a matter of time.

^^^ I understand opinions are personal... but I see so many one sided views on the net (in favour of Spain) and it gets to me... maybe because of my orange heart ;)

^^^ I understand opinions are personal... but I see so many one sided views on the net (in favour of Spain) and it gets to me... maybe because of my orange heart ;)

I was rooting for Holland, mostly because of their vertical and focused football, and kind of have some sympathy for Spain due to their old-fashioned style, watch some games from 1982 cup and you'll see a bit of the current Spain in all good teams. But the final game was just awful, none of the teams deserved to win, a detail decided the game, I just don't buy all the proclamation of Spain as the pinnacle of art-football, they almost got beaten by Paraguai, if Cardozo wasn't so blind...

The team that scored first, would have won the cup.
When it would have come down to a penalty shootout it would have been a lottery even more so.
Altough I am confident that the best keeper from the worldcup (Stekelenburg) would catch a shot or two.

Nice to see that Cruijff is attacking the Dutch playing style. He isn't been taking seriously in Holland for a long time when it comes down to football. He still sees it as a game that is been played in his era. Where the game was very slow, lot of space and his techniques would not be enough to play First Division in England. Have been times there for Cruijff.

My last post in this tread to come to the conclusion that many excpected a nice, open final. But i can't remember or ever saw a nice open final in the Eurocup, Worldcup or CL-final. The tension is to high. The stakes even higher.

I am still a little frustrated about Howard Webb. Altough I can see beyond my " orange" view. The Sun and Independent started writing against van Bommel and de Jong and made a little scene before the game even started. Van Gaal also mentioned it before the game on Dutch television that Webb would be the wrong referee for the playing styles of Spain and Holland. He hates for checking and drawes cards to easy. Again, van Gaal was correct.
The Kung Fu, blackbelt action of de Jong was a disgrace. The diving acts of iniesta en Xavi leveld it up nicely combined with the constant nagging about yellow cards and actions against them.
Take it as a man, not as a nagging, little child.

For Holland, if Robben, who did dived twice this world cup. (Once against Brazil before Melo would chop of his ankle and once against Puyol which was aiming for his foot, unlike the Brits in the tabloid will tell you) scored the big chance or would have dived towards the grass when Puyol hold him back, it would have been.....
But would have been is not realistic, is it?

The dutch players now get a cheer around the canals and at the Museumplein because they losesd a final.
Well, maybe in 32 years time Holland will win the cup. If they kick, spit, shout or play great football; I don' t care. As long as they bring home the cup 👍

I mean, how many of you remember the great win in 1982? Or how 1966 was won? :sly:

I think I have to agree with Mars here. Without that horrible keeper Uruguay could have played the finals.

Without that horrible keeper, they wouldn't have been in the semifinals. Muslera had a good tournament, except for the last game.

...Funny how so many believe the dutch had a pre-concieved plan to injure and stop spain from playing.

Van Marwijk has even confirmed that he had not told the players to play this way. Pressure was high, and the players were tense.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/808207/ce/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

Next time. Don't victimize the spanish, Cause I can justify the Dutch.

"They asked me from Holland 'Can we play like Inter? Can we stop Spain in the same way Mourinho eliminated Barca?' I said no, no way at all. I said no, not because I hate this style, I said no because I thought that my country wouldn't dare to and would never renounce their style. I said no because, without having great players like those of the past, the team has its own style. I was wrong. Of course I'm not hanging all 11 of them by the same rope, but almost. They didn't want the ball." - Johan Cruyff

Actually, if Webb played by the book and not by heart, not only the "down to 9" arguments would not be valid, the scales could have shifted. The remark is a bit tentative, since I only flashed a few events through my head, but it's justifiable. Have a read through FIFA's regulations.

Back