FIFA World Cup 2010 Finals Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,827 comments
In celebration of the WC and appropriately,
I think this company ought to change their logo and eight-organ models from this:
logo.jpg
guess_logo.jpg

to:
0709-paul-the-octopus-vert.jpg_full_238.jpg
capt.photo_1278887622364-1-0.jpg

look forward to the octopus figure on all women's handbag near you :P :lol:

Well, I was rooting for Uruguay and Germany but between today contenders, Spain played the best football and deserved to win, as much as I like the dutch football style, they just didn't played with the magic and speed I was waiting for.

A shame that Holland didn't won it's third final, and congrats to Spain for joining the world champions club. :cheers:

Well, see you guys in 2014, I will provide a thread dedicated to show pics of the WC best chicks, photographed by me, of course ;), please Sweden, be in the next cup for the sake of God. :lol:

Pfft, stupid octopus.

To be honest I was only rooting for Netherlands because I didn't want Spain to win (too damn pompous, even moreso after this) Uruguay played their hearts out after barely making it into the World Cup.

It's a shame what happened to England against Germany, not to mention all the other jewels the fine referees called (or neglected to, like the corner Famine mentioned earlier) On the whole this World Cup had some of the worst referee oversights, I didn't like this World Cup because of that, at least France got what they deserved after they qualified off of Henry's handball.

Yes FIFA, it's high time you use replays already, this is getting old.

With all the yellow cars that were dealt out in today's match, I assume this will not be anywhere close to being called a "World Cup Finals for the Ages".:guilty:

So what do you folks think the Top 5 Moments of this years World Cup are?

And is Fernando Alonso in a celebratory mood tonight?:confused:

I'm not too interested in the World Cup, but my buddy here in Canada was a bandwagon Netherlands fan, bought a jersey, the whole nine yards.

I put 5 bucks on Spain just to piss him off, and now I'm 5 bucks richer :D

Congratulations to Spain!!!

I thought I would feel very bad after Holland loosing but I didn't. I really believed in the WC after the 1/4 and 1/2 matches. But during the match last night it was becoming clear that Spain would not be beaten.

Cheers for Holland as well of course!

Congrats to Spain, thouroughly deserved it. Dutch were a bunch of dirty basta*** through most of the tornament. Credit where credit was due to the ref for controlling the game, they dont realise it but he did the Dutch a favour they should have been 2 men down....

Wow, Aggresive, maybe you.
First off, Spain hadn't really deserved it simply due to the fact that during games that they had the skill to beat (By a large margin), they failed to do so, In fact many times they got a fluke of a shot during the last 15 minutes of play. Not to mention how when they actually were winning, They acted like cowards and let there cocky sides get to them by not trying to score another goal (Even though many times other teams strikers have gave them the warning to keep playing, by still trying for the match). Netherlands have been acknowledged as a hard working team, They're defence takes no chances and takes all measures necessary to get the ball out (Which they have done very well at). Which me leads me to your next point (Or shall I say, Insult)

The netherlands have a playing style different to spain, Spain may like to have the possession, but many times they lack the anticipation or desire to claim the ball like the dutch do. The dutch were playing regular football, Yes, maybe more on the aggressive side, but the fact that spain is a VERY Passive team, makes the dutch look like Nazis beside the spanish. So don't call them dirty "B's", They play like any other team does, and they put in a good effort to get the ball.

Again, You also spark another controversial subject, Refs. People try to keep they're hooligans inside of them, however, the amount of criticism and controversy regarding the english referee today gives me the confidence to say something was wrong. Referees cannot call everything, however, He called fouls that shouldve been played advantage, and played fouls that were necessary. First Off Iniesta made a clear dive at the top of the box, where the defence's leg got underneath his legs, and during his jump he fell down on the ground, a clear oppurtunity for Iniesta to get the second red card. If he had, You would also be calling the referee a load of crap. He handed out cards as easily as the mexican referee did during the Chile vs. Spain game, Many have called the referee today unfair, so Don't Justify his generosity towards the dutch, when theres plenty of people against that. I for one, don't generally talk about referees very often. Sometimes they call it, and sometimes they don't. However, theres no excuse for the ridiculous quantity of fouls, and the poor call that came 1 in every 4 calls (Sneijders free kick, no corner).
The referee sure did control the game.

The netherlands entered this tournament strong, and ended strong as well. They never lost a game (Just as spain almost did, losing to Switzerland). The games they did win however, were strong ones. They scored the goals, but never stopped the offense, The kept trying for more because they realize anything can happen. (Excluding the ending of the Uruguay game. They respected all the teams they played, and never thought of using up the clock. That's what seperates them. The netherlands made a great effort, and had strong hard working offense to gain them victory (No opportunists, If you know who Im talking about).
Overall, The netherlands made a stronger and more devestating effort. I bilieve Effort is what should be used to say who should deserve something.

I cheered for the netherlands during 2006, after a disappointing performance, I thought they could pick it up this year, and when I watched every single game that they won (Which was all of them), I had confidence that they shouldve won todays game. Its too bad a fairly aggressive team was versing a team that didn't like to do much tackling, making the dutch look like the criminals.. Its also too bad that they chose a referee that would leave no chance for redemption, making the team look even worse.

I may have offended some with my "Oppurtunist" comments, and my view on spains lack of effort compared the netherlands. However, I may as well indirectly execute it, rather than making an out right insult to them. Unlike the fellow I quoted. Its about effort, and when your team just passes the border in score, or makes the cut earlier, but makes no more effort to do it again (Basically, under estimating other teams), then thats poor effort.
The harder working team deserved to win, with netherlands having a defender short, Spain could get one more man up into the box, Proving less work for spain. Which would then result to be a winning goal.

Last edited:
Too bad that " we ", the dutch did not win.
Okay, Robben should have scored twice. De jong with his Kung Fu act was plain stupid.

But I feel a little stolen. Elia for Kuyt was a dumb substitution.

Also, Howard Webb. :lol:
Missing 5 yellow cards towards iniesta his Schwalbe game. Missing the second yellow against Puyol. Missing some fouls agianst Dutch players, which recieved the yellow cards. Missis a corner, from which iniesta in the counter attack scored and he missed the red card of Ieniesta against van Bommel and also the ofside status of Iniesta at the scoring position.

But the biggest dissapointment of all; The FIFA misses the fact that Stekelenburg was the best goalkeeper of the World Cup and gives the price to Cassilas. :lol: Now that last one is retarted.
Al the things above, I can live with, mainly because Spain played more clever and had the best chances at goal.

rsh
Also, Howard Webb. :lol:
Missing 5 yellow cards towards iniesta his Schwalbe game. Missing the second yellow against Puyol. Missing some fouls agianst Dutch players, which recieved the yellow cards. Missis a corner, from which iniesta in the counter attack scored and he missed the red card of Ieniesta against van Bommel and also the ofside status of Iniesta at the scoring position.

Not to mention that he only awarded yellows to Van Bommel and De Jong in the first twenty minutes of the first half when they thoroughly deserved reds both of them. The dutch should stop complaining and instead count their lucky stars that they did not get two people sent of then and there.

It is stated above that the Kung Fu act of de Jong was off limits ;-)

Van Bommel a Red card? Did you watched an other match did you?! :dopey:

rsh
It is stated above that the Kung Fu act of de Jong was off limits ;-)

And yes, Iniesta should have ben cautioned for this but are you really that one sided that you cannot see the extremely ugly tackle by van Bommel that lead to Iniesta's retaliation? It's at least worth a yellow, which should have meant a send off for the dutchman.

Last edited:
And yes, Iniesta should have ben cautioned for this

Sent off. Simulation (he was in terrible pain, until he noticed no-one cared, then jumped to his feet) followed by retaliation. Raised arms = red card.

And van Bommel was lucky to have still been on the pitch at that point.

Although I'm slightly disappointed with the result, I think Webb (the ref) did a good job. He handled the game well considering there was a large element of cynical play rather than the game I, and I'm sure most people, were expecting to see.

The football never really got going but at least it was given a chance to. A sending off any earlier would have finished the game.

rsh

Van Bommel was darn lucky to even play the finals. He has been a lucky sob who should have received multiple yellow and reds earlier on in the Cup, disgusting player if you ask me.

Spain fully deserved the win. I was completely disappointed with Holland's foul gameplay in the first half. De Jong's lunge on Xabi Alonso should've been instant red, and even Bommel should've received a red for his mowing move on Iniesta.

I may look heavily biased, but I just expected Holland to play much better football than they did. Too bad they have to leave as bad losers and blame the referee :rolleyes:

Yep. He was in an offside position and active - he should have been flagged when he received the ball at the second (onside) attempt.

Nope.

There was a 3D replay of the phase which showed that Iniesta was not offside; not in phase 1, not in phase 2. Perfectly legit goal.

Last edited:
Its funny how no one mentions Iniesta's superman dive and then asking for a card with Heitinga towards the end which got him sent off... People only seem to see Van Bommel's tackle and De Jong's lunge.. dirty plays yes, but if you mention them also mention the other sides dirty plays...

Its funny how no one mentions Iniesta's superman dive and then asking for a card with Heitinga towards the end which got him sent off... People only seem to see Van Bommel's tackle and De Jong's lunge.. dirty plays yes, but if you mention them also mention the other sides dirty plays...

I'm sorry but to me there is a big difference between diving and purposely trying to injure your opponent.

Looks like we've been mentioning Iniesta to me:

And yes, Iniesta should have ben cautioned for this...

Sent off. Simulation (he was in terrible pain, until he noticed no-one cared, then jumped to his feet) followed by retaliation. Raised arms = red card.

Thats a different situation though Famine... What you quoted has to do with him and Van Bommel... The views will always be different here and Im not going to go into this never ending story to deep... The media only shows Van Bommel and De Jong and then claims Holland played like barbarians... When they actually showed sportsmanship giving back the ball to Casillas at one point as well from a corner.. I personally think both teams played bad... Spain was only going for possession and Holland played far to aggressive... That dive by Iniesta with Heitinga had more of an affect on the whole game imo than any other foul that came forth in the game. It brought them down to 10 men which severly handicapped Holland... In the end its all part of the game.

According to the advert I just saw, you can now watch the World Cup in HD!

A bit late, fellas...

ITV again? :lol: I don't have HD streaming and after hearing the gloating from others who think my Freeview is stoneage in comparison I was quietly smug when the England game was on. Let's not forget the Nike advert either, didn't they cut it short and miss the swoosh at the end resulting in a slap and a reduced payment. :rolleyes:

Alot of us did but what amazes me is how many times these spanish (mostly Barcelona's)players dive and cheat and yet no one from the media seems to notice at all while in the other hand premier league followers will remmember the Eduardo incident against Celtic and the media acted like he killed the president.Finally yes Mr.Webb had a disaster and inlarge part cost Holland the trophy but why was he assigned in the first place that ref with the long name who handeled the semi between Holland and Uruguay was almost faultless.

For me the 3 best WC 2010 teams by order are.
1st Germany
2scd Argentina
3thd Spain

And my 3 best team for heart is:
1st Japan
2scd Uruguay
3thd Paraguay.

And you ?

Last edited:
1. Germany (pre-spain)
2. Spain (against Germany)
3. Korea (both of them - let's bring down that wall ;) )

Back