Finally! Time for a New Car: $9k budget; Quick + Reliable + Luxurious

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 163 comments
  • 7,492 views
Might be a bit of a shot in the dark, but what about a Mazda Millenia S, with the Miller cycle supercharged engine?

Probably not as fast as you'd want it to be, but what about a Passat? Even if it's really an A4 in drag...
 
Toronado
Well, then I'm at a loss. I only have a couple of other cars.
Pontiac Bonneville (mostly for it you dislike the Aurora's styling, but they may be a little cheaper).
Early Acura TL?
Toyota Camry Solara?

The Camry and TL aren't anywhere near quick enough. I've actually considered a Bonneville SSEi, but I've dismissed it for various reasons. I'll re-add it to the list and have a look at it in a year. To be perfectly honest, I absolutely adore the styling of the Bonneville, particularly the SSEi, particularly with the most expressive wheels possible - typically chromes. My problem is that it'll be heavier than the Regal, and I figure, if that's the case, why not just get the Regal and have the premium brand and a vehicle made near the middle of its life, not the beginning?

PunkRock
Might be a bit of a shot in the dark, but what about a Mazda Millenia S, with the Miller cycle supercharged engine?

Probably not as fast as you'd want it to be, but what about a Passat? Even if it's really an A4 in drag...

Actually the Millenia S is a great suggestion and with the right wheels and in the right color among my favorite-looking sedans ever. Good suggestion, that's going on the list for sure. Passat is indeed too slow. I'm not giving up the A4 because I don't like it - I actually love it - but they're just too slow, and indeed, the same applies to the Passat, though I love them - they're really good deals used, particularly compared to the A4.

EDIT: Millenia might not be quick enough. I just checked a reliable source who quotes a 7.8sec 0-60 time. It seems that Mazda refused to bump power when they restyled it in 2000 or 2001, so it lived its whole life with 210hp... and a 4-speed auto. Wonder why it got cancelled. :rolleyes:
 
How much do E36 3-series go for these days around your area?
 
GT Pro
How much do E36 3-series go for these days around your area?

Borderline scary prices:

1993 325i: $5500 ($7200 AU)
1994 325i: $6600 ($8600 AU)
1995 325i: $7000 ($9100 AU)
1996 328i: $8100 ($10600 AU)
1997 328i: $9200 ($12000 AU)
1998 328i: $10500 ($13700 AU)

And I'd have to learn to drive a manual. (for the record, my budget is ~$11700 AU)

Comparing the '97 328 to the '97 740, the 3-series has retained about a third of its value, while the 740 has retained less than a sixth.
 
what about a vw vr6,ether a jetta or a golf,easily one of the best sounding engines ever,and with some basic mods you can get a fair amount of speed out of one.
or maybe even a 1.8t GTi?
 
M5Power
Borderline scary prices:

1993 325i: $5500 ($7200 AU)
1994 325i: $6600 ($8600 AU)
1995 325i: $7000 ($9100 AU)
1996 328i: $8100 ($10600 AU)
1997 328i: $9200 ($12000 AU)
1998 328i: $10500 ($13700 AU)

And I'd have to learn to drive a manual. (for the record, my budget is ~$11700 AU)

Comparing the '97 328 to the '97 740, the 3-series has retained about a third of its value, while the 740 has retained less than a sixth.

Don't fret over learning to drive manual. It's very easy and will take you about two days to learn. So don't let that limit your choices.
 
GT Pro
How much do E36 3-series go for these days around your area?
The E36 3s are pretty cheap. But by this day, any in his range may already have near 50K on the clock, maybe more than the M3s.
 
Holdenhsvgtsr
what about a vw vr6,ether a jetta or a golf,easily one of the best sounding engines ever,and with some basic mods you can get a fair amount of speed out of one.
or maybe even a 1.8t GTi?

I would have mentioned the Vee-Dubs, but as a VW owner here in the US, I know how expensive they are to own here. Parts prices are outrageous, insurance is rather expensive even on baisic models ($180-ish per month for my '96 Wolfsburg), and it only gets more expensive with the VR6. I almost bought a '98 GLX VR6 two years ago, and I would have been paying $240 a month for insurance, added to that even more for gasoline, and God knows for parts.
 
Hey, Doug, why don't you get a Cadillac? You know you love the 97 Seville.
 
I was going to say the Seville, but it just didn't feel right to not allow you to say it.
 
Don't get the Aurora...please. I've known at least 3 people that had them for less than 5 years before the electrics went haywire. Not to mention several master mechanics I've talked to said to stay away from them. It's too bad because they look fantastic for a GM FWD slush mobile. The Regal is a good solid classy car, and should last you a lifetime AND be cheap on insurance to boot. As much as it pains me to think you can't afford a German car that's the next best thing. I still say because of my bias you should get the 2000-2003 Maxima. Oh and I don't think the Riviera is that bad...and this coming from a known harsh GM critic.
 
What about a Cadillac STS? Sedan, luxury enough, automatic, and pretty quick to boot.
 
Integra Type R
What about a Cadillac STS? Sedan, luxury enough, automatic, and pretty quick to boot.
Not once:
Ghost C
Hey, Doug, why don't you get a Cadillac? You know you love the 97 Seville.
But twice!
Toronado
I was going to say the Seville, but it just didn't feel right to not allow you to say it.
 
The Seville isn't bad, but only the V8 models with the STS package are worth getting (IMO). But even then, the Aurora is bigger and cheaper, so it would be up to the buyer there...
 
But the STS is by far the better looking of the two. ;)
 
I'd say thats a matter of taste there. The late-model Auroras were quite nice looking, but the same can be said of the late-model STS' as well...
 
No Seville until the "STS" name change carried anything but a V8 in recent times (any time after 1980 or so). Packing anywhere from 275 to 300hp, ditto for torque. Sleek, smooth lines with an aggressive all aluminum DOHC V8. And more importantly - It's a Cadillac, so nobody will ever go "Sure it's got some luxury features, but it's a Buick!".

Boat loads of power, beating your 0-60 expectations? Check.
Reliable? Check
Automatic? Hope you wouldn't want it any other way, cause you ain't getting it!
Luxurious? Pffsh, Standard Of The World
Under $9k? Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find one above $9k!

97 Seville > this thread
 
what about a Lexus LS400 or a 95 Acura Legend GS?
 
If this hasn't been mentioned...

Lexus SC400.

Or Cadillac Catera.

Heck, I'd love to have a Cadillac.
 
Holdenhsvgtsr
what about a vw vr6,ether a jetta or a golf,easily one of the best sounding engines ever,and with some basic mods you can get a fair amount of speed out of one.
or maybe even a 1.8t GTi?
The only Volkswagen both quick enough and in my price range is the Corrado, however I prefer cars that weren't made by mad Brazillians in between drinking binges. In short, this car needs to be reliable - and no Volkswagen will be.

Ghost C
Hey, Doug, why don't you get a Cadillac? You know you love the 97 Seville.

I've thought and thought about it. I could really have my pick of the latest-model, nicest-spec, lowest-mileage 1997 Seville STS's on the planet. And a reliable source has a quoted 6.7-sec 0-60 time. I guess I need to drive one - I still would rather the Buick, since it'd be much newer (similarly priced) and more cheaply tunable. But it's a Buick. For some reason I just can't get excited about the Cadillac, either. I'm going to add it to the list and have a go sometime soon. Think there's any chance I can afford a '98?

JCE3000GT
I still say because of my bias you should get the 2000-2003 Maxima.

Find me an 02-03 that's not a GXE in my price range and I'm on the next plane! :D

Crash852
what about a Lexus LS400 or a 95 Acura Legend GS?

The Lexus is too slow, and the Legend is too old, though I must admit the old manual Legend coupes are quicker than God (as long as God runs a car doing 6.7sec 0-60 or worse). I'll throw it on the end of the list and have a look every now and again - if I find one with good mileage I might consider it.

GT4_Rule
If this hasn't been mentioned...

Lexus SC400.

Or Cadillac Catera.

Heck, I'd love to have a Cadillac.

Yeah, I'm looking hard at SC400s. Catera is quite a bit too slow - 7.9sec 0-60. It's a very competent car though; I recommend them quite frequently.
 
M5Power
The only Volkswagen both quick enough and in my price range is the Corrado, however I prefer cars that weren't made by mad Brazillians in between drinking binges. In short, this car needs to be reliable - and no Volkswagen will be.
corrado a bad car......veedub unreliable :lol:

you dont know much do you?
 
Holdenhsvgtsr
corrado a bad car......veedub unreliable :lol:

you dont know much do you?
The Corrado is a phenomenal car, though it was one of few decent 1990s Volkswagens. And I'd have to nominate Volkswagen as the least-reliable manufacturer of the 1990s. This study is from well after the brand began its turnaround, and yet it's still in the dumps. Sorry, but if I'm looking for a reliable car, I'm decidedly not looking for a Volkswagen.
 
M5Power
In short, this car needs to be reliable - and no Volkswagen will be.
But you can't ever guarantee that, no matter what you buy. You can buy an unreliable car from anyone, although any car you buy from those criteria should be reliable as if it was going to have any problems, hopefully it would have had them by now.
 
daan
But you can't ever guarantee that, no matter what you buy. You can buy an unreliable car from anyone, although any car you buy from those criteria should be reliable as if it was going to have any problems, hopefully it would have had them by now.

Of course you can't guarantee reliablity, but you can predict it to a certain extent based on reliability of other similar vehicles and past vehicles.
 
M5Power
I've thought and thought about it. I could really have my pick of the latest-model, nicest-spec, lowest-mileage 1997 Seville STS's on the planet. And a reliable source has a quoted 6.7-sec 0-60 time. I guess I need to drive one - I still would rather the Buick, since it'd be much newer (similarly priced) and more cheaply tunable. But it's a Buick. For some reason I just can't get excited about the Cadillac, either. I'm going to add it to the list and have a go sometime soon. Think there's any chance I can afford a '98?

There's all kinds of parts available to make Northstar powered cars go zoom, including supercharger kits. One guy with a 97 or 98 STS has his car turbocharged and the noise is disgusting. If nothing else, I'll come and work on the damn car myself - Friends don't let friends drive Buicks.

98? Probably, Cadillacs don't keep monster resale value. You could probably look at a same year Eldorado as well as Eldos usually go a little cheaper around here.
 
I'd eat my face off before owning an Eldorado. Here's the thing though: if I got the Buick, I could afford a vehicle that's three to five years newer with three to five years' less mileage. Furthermore I'd have a side airbag, which is very important to me, and performance would be about the same stock. And while the Northstar may have some aftermarket, I've been talking to Regal GS owners who have described modifications they've made to their Regals that have gotten then sub-6 sec 0-60 times for under $900. There's something to be said for the 3.8-liter when it comes to tuning and reliability.

In the end the Seville is a decent car, but I'd rather have the Buick - not because of the tuning thing, but because of the age thing. I just really want a reliable car and the best way to ensure that is to get the newest one possible.
 
Carrying on from the "new Silverado thread..."

The LS should be a nice choice; there aren't too many around and it isn't too sought after, so you might get a nice one if looking around. But doubt it would go under $9000 though...and you might have to live with a V6 model.
 
M5Power
Find me an 02-03 that's not a GXE in my price range and I'm on the next plane! :D

Imma holda ya to that! :sly: 👍
 
A Monte Carlo SS Supercharged.
I drive a Monte Carlo LS and I love it. I have had no problems with mine at all. The supercharged version makes 240HP, and 280 lb-ft of torque which is good for a 0-60 of 6.8 seconds. Mine is plently luxurious: heated black leather seats, sunroof, heated mirrors. If the supercharged is out of your price range the SS with the regular 3.8L engine is also very nice. The 3.8L engine (also known as the 3800), has a ton of modifications you can make to gain significant power. CAI, catback exhaust, and DHP are all easy mods.
 
Back