Finally! Time for a New Car: $9k budget; Quick + Reliable + Luxurious

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 163 comments
  • 7,492 views
UPDATE: August 10, 2006

The Buick Regal is looking more and more like the car. I'm scared ****less by the maintenance costs on a 740 or 540 - coupled with the insurance costs. I just love how new and low-mileage of a Buick I can get for such a low price. I imagine I should probably consider the Grand Prix too, but I don't want to. We'll see how the situation develops.
 
M5Power
The Buick Regal is looking more and more like the car.
Not to sway you or anything, because I actually like the GS for what it is, but you're going to have a very difficult time convincing people you're not a Republican if you buy one.
 
JCE3000GT
Although it doesn't fit with the 0-60 in less than 7.3 seconds mould with less than $500 it could easily be. Anyone that doesn't think this car is cool needs an enema followed prompty by a horse tagging them in the rear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/L-k-...17QQihZ016QQcategoryZ6227QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Low mileage of these CAN be found and the price will still be reasonable. With the 4.6L there are so many mods you can do to this car if you choose to. And just cruising around town in one of these means you'll not be bothered by the cops AND people will get out of your way. Infact cops will wave at you as you drive by. :D

Yea yea yea it isn't luxury or sporty, but it's a Police car for christ sakes. And that's cool. 👍

i'd rather have a 9c1 caprice lt1's are easier to mod than fords mod motors
 
M5Power
UPDATE: August 10, 2006

The Buick Regal is looking more and more like the car. I'm scared ****less by the maintenance costs on a 740 or 540 - coupled with the insurance costs. I just love how new and low-mileage of a Buick I can get for such a low price. I imagine I should probably consider the Grand Prix too, but I don't want to. We'll see how the situation develops.

Don't you find Buicks too "granny" as with lots of other people?
 
GT4_Rule
Don't you find Buicks too "granny" as with lots of other people?

If I was buying a car that would be the least of my concerns...that is unless I was old. Then, it might move up a slot or two or three...
 
Duke
Not to sway you or anything, because I actually like the GS for what it is, but you're going to have a very difficult time convincing people you're not a Republican if you buy one.

I know. :( But if I have $9500 and I get an $8000 BMW, I'm left with $1500 - $400 of which goes to register the car with the state, and $400 of which goes to register the car at college. So that leaves $700 for repairs for the entire '07-'08 school year. Meanwhile if I get a $7000 Buick, I'm left with $1700, and it won't cost anywhere near that much to maintain it for a year or probably two years, to be honest. Financially it's the better decision - but it's far from set in stone. I wish the '94-'95 540iA didn't have the idiotic engine problems that it did - otherwise I'd be much more open to those cars.
 
I drove a '98 Oldsmobile Intrigue and liked it. I actually had to since my Focus is currently for sale and I need a car that's less than $2,000 that will last me at least a year. I drove the Olds and a '00 Dodge Avenger V6 (really liked the Avenger).

I think the Intrigue is a decent looking GM slush saloon. The post '98 models had the new GM 3.5L V6 with over 200bhp.

2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue:
02intrigue.jpg
 
Yeah they're nice cars. I'd rather the Buick though since the vehicles exude the same image (:D) and the Buick is much quicker.

So there's now two alternate schools of thought which I'm developing instrad of simply giving up and buying the Regal:

1. I stretch myself out and buy the BMW (either of them), leaving little money left over for repairs. Then, if anything truly major breaks, I simply sell the car (since I do still own it) and take whatever money's left and get the Regal or something cheaper.

2. I forget about my "quickness" requirement altogether and get a bit of an image car - something like an A4, or an early E36 325, or a previous-gen 740. I could pick up any of those vehicles for $5k and then if anything went wrong, I'd have lots of cash on hand to fix it. I could also get my first manual car this way if I so desired.

I realize the first idea is a bit contrary to the way people buy cars, but I actually think it's not such a bad idea. I'm not sure.
 
About the first plan, be wary of the Beamers when they do explode. The resalability will plummet like Sly Stallone's career if you don't find an idiot to sell it to. Personally? I still say go for the Bonneville.
 
About the first plan, be wary of the Beamers when they do explode. The resalability will plummet like Sly Stallone's career if you don't find an idiot to sell it to. Personally? I still say go for the Bonneville.

No dice on the Bonneville - the fact that I'd rather have a Buick says it all. (actually I'd rather have a Grand Prix GTP too - why go for the larger car when I could have a quicker, cheaper, Grand Prix/Regal)

You're right - if the BMW went bad, it'd be hard to sell. But obviously you'd just deduct the price of necessary repairs and sell the car for that. Unfortunately that could spell huge trouble - if the $8000 BMW comes up needing $2000 in repairs, I'd be down to $6000 - which would put me out of Regal territory too. I'd need to get an Accord! It'd be a gamble.

Looking more and more like a Regal as the days go by...
 
I believe a Z32 300ZX 2+2 (or coupe if prefered) would fit your budget and requirements nicely. The NA model certainly would fit, but going for a nice TT would be pushing it. Not sure about the maintenance costs or reliability, but I'd assume it'd be reasonably reliable (assuming it hasn't been abused...which would be less likely for the NA model).
 
Actually yeah, the 300ZX isn't such a bad recommendation. Even the naturally-aspirated ones aren't that slow - with a manual it'd be high sevens to 60 - but I'd go for the turbo one which I can actually almost afford. The real problem would be insurance. It's one of only two things my parents are paying for (the other being gas) and though they don't have a big problem with high premiums, this might break the bank.

I'll keep it in mind in case I see a well-priced one. 👍
 
M5 you and I are in the same boat now. I'm going to be in the market for a $6k car next year. Now that I moved back in with my Mom (yuck long story don't ask) my rent is going to be free. So that's some serious money saving I can start doing. So I'm going to steal your topic format and make my own topic slightly modified. :sly:
 
Lexus SC300.


streetkingwu4.jpg




Follow this guy's advice. He has just shown you all you need to know. Many can be had in great shape for well under 9,000 dollars.
 
The HSE appears to be a good vehicle, but sadly it's not. A friend of mine has owned two, one being a Supercharged 4.6 built by Lingenfelter. (It started on fire.) The other being a ltd. edition Callaway HSE. Both had repeated mechanical/electrical failures. Both were purchased new.

I don't base my judgement on two vehicles however. The Land Rover board speaks volumes...


ps: GT4_Rule - The wheels+tires is only an extra $3,800 :)
 
I'd take that Lexus, even with the shiny wheels. (I actually like them :lol: )
 
The HSE appears to be a good vehicle, but sadly it's not. A friend of mine has owned two, one being a Supercharged 4.6 built by Lingenfelter. (It started on fire.) The other being a ltd. edition Callaway HSE. Both had repeated mechanical/electrical failures. Both were purchased new.

I don't base my judgement on two vehicles however. The Land Rover board speaks volumes...


ps: GT4_Rule - The wheels+tires is only an extra $3,800 :)

Really? That might be the best SC300 I've seen then!

Btw that link is probably the longest one I've ever seen.
 
OK, Doug, I've found your car.

I know, I know, it's an L. Deal with it. ;)

This link is inactive but it was said that it's a 750iL - I can't afford those. Gas isn't a problem, since fuel economy isn't much worse than the 740i, but maintenance is hell. Truly hell. Presuming I can find a BMW dealer knowledgeable enough to service it, they'd still charge me out the ass.

High-Test
Follow this guy's advice. He has just shown you all you need to know. Many can be had in great shape for well under 9,000 dollars.

Definitely. They're way too slow though. I'm considering early SC400s, but they're all very high mileage - which is not uncommon or even a red flag for these - but by the time I was through with the vehicle, it'd be really high mileage. That's the only flaw though - the SC400 is number two on my list right now (in case a 400E doesn't show up in my area).

Really long link, but, Land Rover Range Rover HSE, looks really good!

Nah - thanks for the rec, but they're way too unreliable. I've actually found several well-priced ones but the truth is I'd need at least double what I've got to be able to maintain it.
 
I've answered that one a few times already - far and away too slow. It's only got 200 horsepower for christ's sake!
 
Nope, it has 225 horsepower, and performance parts are widely available, its reliable, and it sounds nice, my dad owns one. :p

Its no slouch, and I don't see a regal doing any better.
 
my old man has one too, and you would be wrong to say they are slow. i think you would be pleasantly suprised. they key here is they only weigh like 3300 lbs. good for a rip down the 1/4 mile in like 16 seconds. besides, i thought speed wasnt top priority. this balances all your priorities. its a very nice automobile
 
750iL!

For $249/Mo? Wow...


If he gets that, he can kiss eating good bye, insurance would put him away!

also, ODOMETER DESCREPANCY IMMENENT.
 
Buy the Regal. Put a Thrasher pulley on it ($70).

Whatever you do, don't buy a Maxima.
 
Back