Finally! Time for a New Car: $9k budget; Quick + Reliable + Luxurious

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 163 comments
  • 7,491 views
Welcome back skip, and m5power, you might want to lower you expectations for performance.
 
With the Volvo on the chopping block, it's finally time for a new car. Well not quite - I actually have to wait ten to twelve months. But I'm already brainstorming, for two reasons: one, I've already got the cash, and two, I want to start test driving. I want to hear your opinions on a) other choices I'm overlooking and b) the cars I'm presently considering.

The stipulations are these, in this order:
- the car must be worth no more than $9000 (by next summer)
- the car must be reliable - very reliable
- the car must be quick: 0-60 in 7.3sec or better
- the car must be luxurious: leather, auto climate, sunroof are basically essential, and a premium brand is highly smiled upon
- I would much prefer the car be 1996 or newer
- automatic is MUCH preferred

Do note that:
- bodystyle is totally unimportant - it could be a sedan, coupe, wagon, or even an SUV - I don't care at all
- handling is only marginally important
- this vehicle will be driven primarily in Georgia and therefore snow capabilites aren't important at all

At present, these are my top two choices:

1997 BMW 740i
1995-2001-BMW-7-Series-97602071990202.JPG

282hp 4.4-liter V8; 7.0sec 0-60

This is the top choice, however it remains to be seen whether I can actually afford this vehicle. Most '97s go for ~$10k, but then, most '97s are the long-wheelbase model which I refuse to own. My main concern with this vehicle is reliability; I'm turning down the '95 because it uses the old engine, which was unreliable, and I'm afraid even the '97, with the DOHC 4.4, isn't going to be stellar. Thoughts?

2000-2002 Buick Regal GS
1997-2004-Buick-Regal-99121321990004.JPG

240hp 3.8-liter supercharged V6; 6.8sec 0-60

I've already researched the BMW quite well and I know everyone here's going to love it, but I'm totally torn about the Buick. It matches every criteria on my list except "premium brand" and that's where the trouble really is - people look down upon Buick owners like I look down upon B9 Tribeca. I've had to cover for my car for the last two years (it's, er, a Volvo... take a ride, though, it's really fast!) and I'm quite tired of that. But then, the Buick offers a spectacular deal, with spectacular performance, and frankly I could probably save enough money so that I could probably upgrade its performance even more. Some things scream "no" (it's a Buick, it's got a 4-speed auto, its handling isn't up to any sort of sporting standard) but so many things scream "yes" (6.8sec 0-60, tunable, cheap, handling will be better than my Volvo, reliable) that I'm not sure what to do. What do you guys think about the Buick?

I'm also considering, though less seriously, the Lexus SC400, Lincoln LS V8, and Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited.

Do note that I will not consider the following vehicles which will probably be brought up:
- any BMW but the '97 740i - either I can't afford them, or they don't perform well enough
- any Saab
- any Volvo
- any Mustang, Firebird, or Camaro
- the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
- the Audi A4 (not quick or cheap enough)
- the Ford Taurus SHO (I hate the V8 ones, and the others, which I love, are too old)

Any other suggestions? Comments about my suggestions? (particularly the Regal?)


My friend has a 94 Volvo 850 Turbo. It has 240,000 miles and no problems at all. Accelerates quick, only imported with auto, and has all the luxuries you want. Aside that theres only one other car I'd recommend, late 4th gen or early 5th gem Maxima's. 97-99 and 01-02. Find yourself an SE and your set, and it will accelerate alot quicker then 7.3. And if you don't mind a few problems here and there, a bone stock 2g awd dsm is your best bet. Auto's are more likely to not be modded so your set there, no auto dsm will sell for more then 10k so your set there. Leather was standard on the AWD 97-99 Eclipses, as a sunroof, infinity sound system, and many more goodies. If you get a GS-T its the same car but fwd, and less goodies. If you don't mind the body style, 95-96 (2ga) awd dsm's are a dime a dozen, cheap as ****. 97-99 (2gb) which look LOTS better, are a bit more, but perform just as well and are fun to drive.
 
I'm fairly sure, if you READ the first post he said "no volvos"
 
Ouch, that hurt my ego, seriously, he will have a hard time finding a car, he should just get the regal and get it over with.
 
Buick, stay american. In the long run its going to be cheaper to repair and run than a BMW would ever be. American cars are very reliable compared to german ones.

Also, what kind of engine does the Buick have? 3800 or 3400?
 
Also, what kind of engine does the Buick have? 3800 or 3400?
3800 Series II Supercharged I believe. Currently the 3.8 V6 is at Series III.
 
Nope, it has 225 horsepower, and performance parts are widely available, its reliable, and it sounds nice, my dad owns one. :p

Its no slouch, and I don't see a regal doing any better.

Well then you're wrong - the '99-'03 TL does 0-60 in 8.0sec; the Regal does it in 6.8sec. The only TL I'd consider is a Type-S, which I can't afford anyway.

Skip
Whatever you do, don't buy a Maxima.

THANK YOU.

Jesus - everyone thinks the Maxima is God. Until 2002, it was a family sedan, nothing more, and not high on power. And no Maxima is incredibly quick - though the '04+ models are quite nice.

My friend has a 94 Volvo 850 Turbo. It has 240,000 miles and no problems at all.

I have a 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo. It has 130,000 miles and breaks down monthly. NO VOLVOS. :D

Actually I quite like your Eclipse suggestion - you're right - they were quick. I wish they were rear-drive though. Living in Atlanta I finally have a chance to have a car that's not made for snow, and I want to live it up - buying an AWD car is no way to do that. Still - I'll consider it. I do love how they look.

Buick, stay american. In the long run its going to be cheaper to repair and run than a BMW would ever be. American cars are very reliable compared to german ones.

Also, what kind of engine does the Buick have? 3800 or 3400?

It's a 240-horsepower supercharged 3.8-liter V6. So, the 3400. By the way, as for the "stay American" remark - the vehicle is built in Canada.

None of this matters much anyway - I will be purchasing a 1992-1993 Mercedes 400E, presuming I can find one. Thanks everyone for your suggestions - and please keep this thread open in case I change my mind!
 
None of this matters much anyway - I will be purchasing a 1992-1993 Mercedes 400E, presuming I can find one. Thanks everyone for your suggestions - and please keep this thread open in case I change my mind!

one more for the dark side.

hey, make sure you check out mercedes shop dot com and do some research on them. while they are solid, incredible cars, they do have achilles' heels (poor maintenance (like any other car!) and the incredibly hot engine compartment can cause accelerated engine harness decomposition.
also check out the thread entitled "good mercedes shop in your area" and ask some of those indies if they know of a nice well maintained private example thats on sale.

i firmly believe i will never own another vehicle that is not a 124. i feel no need to get anything newer, and i fly under the radar (beige 4 door sedan vs red coupe, or yellow sportscar?) most of the time.

your indoctrination begins on your first long road trip. thats when you will be completely and utterly captivated and welcomed to the cult of one2four
 
one more for the dark side.

hey, make sure you check out mercedes shop dot com and do some research on them. while they are solid, incredible cars, they do have achilles' heels (poor maintenance (like any other car!) and the incredibly hot engine compartment can cause accelerated engine harness decomposition.
also check out the thread entitled "good mercedes shop in your area" and ask some of those indies if they know of a nice well maintained private example thats on sale.

i firmly believe i will never own another vehicle that is not a 124. i feel no need to get anything newer, and i fly under the radar (beige 4 door sedan vs red coupe, or yellow sportscar?) most of the time.

your indoctrination begins on your first long road trip. thats when you will be completely and utterly captivated and welcomed to the cult of one2four

Well - after literally making my mind up on the 400E and making final plans for purchase, my mother has given me the option of purchasing her 2003 Mazda Tribute - an effortlessly competent small SUV that I've always hated due to its averageness - for a mere $3000. The vehicle is worth about $15,000. So I'm going to take it, in all likelihood. :( If the Tribute falls through I'll get the Mercedes, but my parents really want me in a safe, reliable car, and they're willing to pay for most of the Mazda's expenses versus none for the Mercedes. So I'm happy - it's a good car and it'll be nice to have in a college where everyone has new SUVs... I'll fit right in. :)
 
Doug, if you get an SUV I'll make fun of you forever. Even a Mercedes is better than an SUV (Especially a Mazda).
 
Doug, if you get an SUV I'll make fun of you forever. Even a Mercedes is better than an SUV (Especially a Mazda).

In addition to being a car guy, I'm also an economics fan and a logical thinker. So here are the economics of and logic behind this decision:

1. We bought the car three years ago for $24,000.
2. It's presently being offered to me for $3,000.
3. I'm not stupid.

I agree - it's not a car I have any desire to own. But at this price, I cannot pass it up. What do others think? Would you take it essentially free of charge, or would you get the Mercedes?

018-totd.jpg


138-totd.jpg


Attractive, reliable, boring - and cheap.
 
Hey, cheap car, I'd get it.

My budget is far more limited, though. but, take that extra cash, save it for college or something.
 
I'd get it for that price without hesitation. Use it till it dies, and save money to buy something interesting to replace it.
 
Forget the Buick Regal, unless you look like Telly Savalas, constantly suck on lollies and say "Who loves you baby" no one will be impressed.
 
I'd get it for that price without hesitation. Use it till it dies, and save money to buy something interesting to replace it.

I think I'm going to. And there's two schools of thought about what to do with the excess cash. Let's say I have $9000 saved up and I pay $3000 for the Tribute. That leaves me with $6000. I could either, indeed, use it to put towards something upon graduation (most likely a Ferrari 308) or how about this: supercharge the Tribute, giving myself a 5.9sec 0-60, 14.4sec 1/4 monster? Hmmm...
 
In addition to being a car guy, I'm also an economics fan and a logical thinker. So here are the economics of and logic behind this decision:

1. We bought the car three years ago for $24,000.
2. It's presently being offered to me for $3,000.
3. I'm not stupid.

I agree - it's not a car I have any desire to own. But at this price, I cannot pass it up. What do others think? Would you take it essentially free of charge, or would you get the Mercedes?

Would buying it cheap and then selling it for the real value that its worth be really really skeanky and underhand?
 
Would buying it cheap and then selling it for the real value that its worth be really really skeanky and underhand?

He couldn't sell it for new price, that's why they're selling it to him at the price they are.
 
It's a 240-horsepower supercharged 3.8-liter V6. So, the 3400. By the way, as for the "stay American" remark - the vehicle is built in Canada.

Even though your not getting this car, your wrong. The Supercharged 3.8L is the 3800. They do not make a supercharged 3400.

By stay american I meant that american cars are cheaper to run than any german cars could be. The Buick is made my GM, GM is an American company.

The Mazda is a steal for the price you paid. Some people are saying its not sporty enough or whatever. However, SUVs serve their own purpose, they are much better at off-road and hauling cargo than cars could ever be. Heck, my next vehicle will be a 4x4 pickup truck. My favorite small SUV has to be the Jeep Liberty Renegade. Just awsome looking with the 4 lights on the roof.
02.jeep.liberty.renegade.f34.500.jpg
 
$3000 for a 2003 Tribute? I'd get that in a heartbeat even though its bland.
 
However, SUVs serve their own purpose, they are much better at off-road and hauling cargo than cars could ever be.

i call bull****.

theres crappy off roading SUVs aplenty, and theres way too many which are out cargoed by minivans and mercedes E class and BMW 5 series wagons. short of a large SUV most of them pretty much are.

in fact id go so far as to say that id take an early 90s mercedes wagon over most small and mid size SUVs for cargo carrying AND light off road driving. i drive a 300E sedan. dont ask me how i know what theyre capable off offroad, my undercarriage still doesnt think highly of me.
 
I think I'm going to. And there's two schools of thought about what to do with the excess cash. Let's say I have $9000 saved up and I pay $3000 for the Tribute. That leaves me with $6000. I could either, indeed, use it to put towards something upon graduation (most likely a Ferrari 308) or how about this: supercharge the Tribute, giving myself a 5.9sec 0-60, 14.4sec 1/4 monster? Hmmm...

Damn... 3k for an 03? I wish I had your parents.

What is it? A 2.3 or a V6? AWD? I'd say AWD+supercharger, some stiff and low suspension mods, wheels and tires, and that thing should go from merely "okay" to "Oh-kaaaay.". :lol:

And you'd have enough change, too, to do all of that. :D
 
Would buying it cheap and then selling it for the real value that its worth be really really skeanky and underhand?

:lol: That was the first thing that came to mind when this offer was made to me, but unfortunately my parents would hold on to the title - think of the $3000 as a three- or four-year rental (after which the vehicle would become mine free of charge).

V8 Power
Even though your not getting this car, your wrong. The Supercharged 3.8L is the 3800. They do not make a supercharged 3400.

:lol: I'd hardly call me "wrong." It's clearly a typo, considering that I just said it was the 3.8!

neanderthal
in fact id go so far as to say that id take an early 90s mercedes wagon over most small and mid size SUVs for cargo carrying AND light off road driving. i drive a 300E sedan. dont ask me how i know what theyre capable off offroad, my undercarriage still doesnt think highly of me.

Agree fully. But wouldn't you, too, take the Tribute at this price, neanderthal? I'm not even getting the Tribute for its off-road ability or its carrying capacity - simply for its price, and the marginal amount of status that comes with owning a relatively new vehicle on this campus. I'd still rather have the 400E in an emotional sense - but in an economical sense, I'd be stupid to pass this up.

What is it? A 2.3 or a V6? AWD? I'd say AWD+supercharger, some stiff and low suspension mods, wheels and tires, and that thing should go from merely "okay" to "Oh-kaaaay.".

Well, my parents were worried about me in an old Mercedes (despite my pleas that it was the most reliable luxury car ever manufactured). This was inevitable. My dad is buying a new car in the next few months (Saturn Vue or used RX300) so my mom is content on taking my dad's old car ('98 Camry 2.2) and giving me hers, since I'm getting a car no matter what and they'd rather me in her car than a, in their view, crappy Mercedes.

It's a 2003 Tribute ES - not just the 200-horsepower 3-liter V6, but the top-range model (although our only options are a spoiler and a tow hitch and that's because that was all they had on the lot) which includes leather, CD, power seats, and alloys. It's a good car. The supercharger is $3400 but I'd be able to afford it given the vehicle would be just $3k. I'm not sure how I'd get it installed. Decisions, decisions.
 
Well in that case then how well would it hold its value? Looking at it as a 3 year investment might be an idea?

Pay 3000 for it (1000 for each year you have it) then sell it for more than 3000 then add this to any extra moeny you have saved, especially as they are willing to pay insurance etc then buy whatever you want.
 
i call bull****.

theres crappy off roading SUVs aplenty, and theres way too many which are out cargoed by minivans and mercedes E class and BMW 5 series wagons. short of a large SUV most of them pretty much are.

in fact id go so far as to say that id take an early 90s mercedes wagon over most small and mid size SUVs for cargo carrying AND light off road driving. i drive a 300E sedan. dont ask me how i know what theyre capable off offroad, my undercarriage still doesnt think highly of me.

Well when I said SUVs I meant real SUVs, not like the Mazda Tribute that he got. I was talking more along the lines of these:
02.ford.excursion.500.jpg

05.chevy.suburban.500.jpg

2003_hummerH2_rear3_500.jpg

Can a Mercedes E class do that?? I don't think so.

Those kind of SUVs, although gas thirsty, can really do alot of things. They are very capable offroad, they can haul alot of cargo and people (except the H2 only carries 5), and you can put alot of accesories on them that you can't put on a station wagon.
 
M5power
that comment wasnt directed at you. hell, i aint to fool. a 3 year old car for $3K is a no brainer.

that comment was directed at =V8power= who seems to think all SUVs are cargo carrying, off roading kings.

most of them are crap. at everything. they are out everything'd by various genres of vehicle. but for a good combination of load and people carrying capacity, i suppose they cant be beat. but they're still crap.

and of course, in a conversation about a mazda tribute, he mentions SUVs, a jeep liberty, four wheeling and the gorilla chest thumping utility of SUVs. and when i call bull**** , say a benz estate can do that, he say, no i was only talking about suburbans and excursions and the like. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

when did you mention full size SUVs in that comment?

as for the comment about a merc e class doing that i bet it can. it has a stiff enough structure that it wouldnt drop a wheel in that gully, and with 4matic all wheel drive it could pull through that. you're problem is that in picking an obstacle, you didnt think to pick one that plays to the SUVs strength, its height advantage. theres no obstacle there in that picture for a car to surmount. just a ditch. and any car that is long enough, has intelligent all wheel drive, a lockable diff, and a stiff enough structure is going to be able to get through that.

mercedes e class with 4 matic, and slip control? ding, ding ding, we have a winner. its wheelbase is only ten inches shorter than that same hummer. its weight is more evenly distributed so its probably less likely to want to drop a wheel in there until the CoG passes with no contact from the wheel in the air. and from that pic, it seems that wouldnt happen.
 
2003_hummerH2_rear3_500.jpg

Can a Mercedes E class do that?? I don't think so.

Here's an idea, why not drive across the grass and around the ditch? - i'm sure an E-class could manage that.

Could a Hummer, or any of those full-size SUV's drive under a 75" high bridge like a E-class could?? I don't believe so.

You might not see the relevance of my question, but for 99.9% of drivers they'll never come into a situation where a ditch like the one illustrated needs to be transversed either.
 
Back