First 12 GRID Cars Confirmed: More Coming Over Summer

Hope we're in the right section now. With the name I was hoping for the Formula/Open Wheel career mode that was so good in previous iterations. I'll just count on open wheel career mode being excellent.

Cars without fenders and wings are still cars!

I'm still skeptical on this game due to the track list, but if they keep adding touring cars I may have to give it a shot and hope they add most of the tracks from Autosport.

Totally agree. I've been following Aus TCR's early days and it looks amazing, to see the Golf TCR etc on here is a great thing, but my trepidation is strong thanks to watching overly hyped game reveal videos. I could live with Grid Autosport handling (just) but any more 'cade' than 'sim' and it'll be a firm no from me that's for sure. Lessons learnt though - no pre-order.

Good to see Audi RS3 TCR in the list, I do hope to see more TCR in it or just have the older bunch return is fine too. Hope to see more GTE cars in the GT class as well, just having the 3 will be disappointing.

Lots of repeated cars from previous games, and seeing those asterisks for Ultimate Edition only is just infuriating.

BTW, whoever puts up these GTP News threads need to put more effort into forum integration. This could just be merged to the main thread. Unless Jordan wants to rename the Grid Autosport subforum as GRID, then this and the main thread can go in there neatly.

12 out of 70 cars to come, and they all look pretty promising.

As an aside, it's still a bit weird that Codies manages to get 488 GTE before T10 and Polyphony.

Kunos also got the 488 GTE way back when it came out. I don't know why T10 doesn't have it, but PD is always 1-2 generations late with the latest cars since GT5 :P

I really hope they have a good list of tracks they plan on adding so this great (so far) car list doesn't go to waste.

I really hope they have a good list of tracks they plan on adding so this great (so far) car list doesn't go to waste.

Codemasters have confirmed they will be adding new tracks at no additional cost for all users. As for which tracks they will add, Codies already have an extensive library of environments from the F1 games and previous instalments of GRID, so I would look there for ideas.

What can I expect in terms of post-launch content for GRID?

– The short version? A lot. The longer version? Expect a lengthy and varied selection of post-launch GRID goodies. Ultimate Edition players will receive exclusive cars, events and objectives, as well as liveries and other visual items. As we mentioned in last week’s Career mode focus, we’re looking to add nearly 100 more events into the mode after launch day for those players, almost the double the mode in size. Even if you’re not an Ultimate Edition, owner, though, we’ll be dropping brand new content for you, including cars and circuits, for no additional cost.

Source

Codemasters have confirmed they will be adding new tracks at no additional cost for all users. As for which tracks they will add, Codies already have an extensive library of environments from the F1 games and previous instalments of GRID, so I would look there for ideas.

Source

Nice, I hope they add the cars from their previous games for free this time *cough* DR2.0 *cough*...

Nice, I hope they add the cars from their previous games for free this time *cough* DR2.0 *cough*...

According to this interview, you should be able to access any car for free. Those without the Season Pass/Ultimate Edition will be restricted to renting DLC cars (rewards are compromised and you cannot change the livery)

“No, I hate microtransactions,” said Smith, when asked if there’s going to be any microtransactions in the upcoming racer. “Here’s one thing I can say, we’re also not going to be charging for tracks. Any new track that comes out everyone gets. The great reason why you want to buy the DLC: There’s new cars and new careers. New career has new rewards, new unlocks. So there’s a lot of cool stuff to get and play. But if you and me are playing, and we’re friends, and you don’t have the DLC, you can go into any new race modes, and any new classes.”

“If you don’t have the car you have to rent one,” he continued. “The renting essentially reduces the money you get from the race. You always get more money in the race than the cost of rent. So you’ll never be negative. So what that allows you to do is still play. You won’t have a chance to change the livery. If you want to have a choice of all the cars, and liveries, and rewards, and do the new career for that race mode, you need the DLC.

As an aside, it's still a bit weird that Codies manages to get 488 GTE before T10 and Polyphony.

I'd imagine there's many factors that can go into when a car appears in a racing game series. For most cars, I wouldn't necessarily imagine it to be a race to see when which series will feature a given car first, unless there's a special promotion alongside it. (See: Gran Turismo and the BMW M4, the Corvette C7, and most recently, the GR Supra.)

Otherwise, I'm a bit curious about something. I read that there's six different disciplines in the career mode, but some of these cars don't seem like they'll fit into them, such as the DPi cars and the open-wheel cars. Maybe they'll still be in specific classes (e.g. a Renault F1 car is listed as an open-wheeler, which isn't one of the career mode disciplines) but more reserved for either specific events in the career mode, whereas the rest of a given discipline will focus on its main sort of car. So maybe the DPi cars will show up later-on in a few events within the "GT" discipline.

Otherwise, I'm a bit curious about something. I read that there's six different disciplines in the career mode, but some of these cars don't seem like they'll fit into them, such as the DPi cars and the open-wheel cars. Maybe they'll still be in specific classes (e.g. a Renault F1 car is listed as an open-wheeler, which isn't one of the career mode disciplines) but more reserved for either specific events in the career mode, whereas the rest of a given discipline will focus on its main sort of car. So maybe the DPi cars will show up later-on in a few events within the "GT" discipline.

GRID will have 7 car classes and every vehicle announced so far fits into at least one of them. The Open Wheel will be represented by Formula J, which I imagine is the fictional Open Wheel Series in GRID. DPi vehicles will be playable in the Prototype series. As a reminder, here are all the classes available at launch, some of which have sub-categories.

Touring Cars (TC-1, Super Tourers, TC-2, Classic Touring)
Stock Cars (Muscle, Pro Trucks, Oval Stocks)
Tuner Cars (Modified, Super Modified, World Time Attack)
GT Cars (Classic GT, GT Group 1, GT Group 2, Historic)
Formula J
Prototype
Group 7 Specials

GRID will have 7 car classes and every vehicle announced so far fits into at least one of them. The Open Wheel will be represented by Formula J, which I imagine is the fictional Open Wheel Series in GRID. DPi vehicles will be playable in the Prototype series. As a reminder, here are all the classes available at launch, some of which have sub-categories.

Touring Cars (TC-1, Super Tourers, TC-2, Classic Touring)
Stock Cars (Muscle, Pro Trucks, Oval Stocks)
Tuner Cars (Modified, Super Modified, World Time Attack)
GT Cars (Classic GT, GT Group 1, GT Group 2, Historic)
Formula J
Prototype
Group 7 Specials

Ah, I see. Now that I recall, two of the six groups seemed to be a bit special - one referred to Alonso, and another seemed like a special league that combines everything. What's with the Group 7 specials? Are they simply real-world Group 7 cars like the Porsche 917? Or did it refer to something else?

Back