First thougts of drifting in GT4...

• Thread starter uglyDRIFT
  • 88 comments

uglyDRIFT

(Banned)
well today i went and bought GT4.... as excited as i can be! until i got enough money to upgrade my car with enough power and tuning to drift!! So i headed over to the Gymkhana course only to find the biggest disappointment in my life. To me... the drifting in GT4 sucks.... it doesnt feel REAL one bit... i dont know where they went wrong from GT3 --> GT4.. but someone didnt do something right.....but then again.. maybe its just me.. maybe i just suck at drifting in GT4... i guess ill just keep on drifting in GT3.... either way.. im just expressing my right to complain a little.....

You do know the drifting in Gt4 is more realistic than Gt3.. Maybe it's just reality that's hitting you in the face.

Yea could be that. The cars were made to react better, to simulate real life. SO... Its just a matter of finding the right set up.

I have to find that perfect setting still. The thing all most all drifters are going to say is that theres insane UNDERSTEER.

I took out a stock MR2 SC... and I have to say it feels like the real car. Very quick to get you into trouble if you are jerky at all, tendency to swing back too fast.

If anything, the physics in GT4 are much better, so much so that its actually frustrating. However, it does model how an AW11 feels at the limits ( I know, I own and drive them).

I haven't done too much with just pure drift setups, but its gonna require more precision and control, just like in real life.

Nicely said Azuremen. Mabye we can get a GT4 Team Drift Video once I get it. I just got Adobe Premire, learning how to use it. I know most of the basic stuff like cuting, moving, adding, and finishing. But theres like 100 other things after that so might be a while. This thread answered alot of questions for me. Thanks for the info Azuremen.
-TD

GT4 is hard to drift in, no doubt, because we're all used to GT3 physics. It will be like learning to drift all over again.

I myself was surprised by so much difference. After configuring and goofing around in my STi spec C, i was able to get a hang of it and pull out very clean drifts. It will be just a matter of time before everyone catches on.

Okay, I'm running an AW11 on SM tires, with 133 HP, and a basic suspension.

After a few races, I'm starting to get the hang of having the back swing out. The thing that I have noticed most is you must be very careful with the countersteer, less you find yourself over correcting. GT4 seems to be much more aware of little inputs into the steering, in comparison to GT3.

Any one familar with me from GT3 stuff will know I prefer MR cars, and use a speed drift format. I haven't tried experimenting with extreme angles yet. Want to get a better idea of how to control the car at high speed and for speed before I bother with that.

I'll post more findings as I dig them up, maybe switch over to an FR car at some point. We'll see

The physics engine in GT4 is accurate within .03% tolerance of the RL counterparts used for modeling. Simply put, the $55 you shelled out for GT4 is merely a drop in the bucket towards what the development of that technology cost SCEA. Sadly, I could not afford the $150 it costs for the DFP. However, judging by the car's reactions to overcorrection, I'd have to agree that we are playing with as close to the real thing as we can get without stepping behind the wheel ourselves.

yah im learning to do it all over again too. im using the hks s15 d1gp car for drifting right now. its so hard compared to gt3. and i use the controller. i think itll be easier if i have a steering wheel, but i dont have $150 to blow on a steering wheel at the moment. the biggest problem i am having is when i have the car sideways and countersteering, i let off the power a little too much and it wips around really fast. any tips would be great.

yea definitely a lot harder than 3 cause now in 4 you have deal with the weight of the cars more. so you would have to brake more precisely to shift the weight so you dont get understeer but then you have to have good throttle response so you dont oversteer.... so difficult to make smooth, but the fun is in the challenge ^^

Some more fiddling around with the MR2, some on E/E tires now.

I think what the biggest difference comes from is how tires seem to be modeled. They have a less predictable feel to them, which mimics real life tires. Espcially the lower grip tires, which have softer sidewalls. The result - a snappy kinda car.

Also, tires approach their limits much quicker. Thus, softer turning is needed, along with more precise braking at the entry of the corner if you are using trail braking.

Its nice this way. Makes you sweat a little if you get fairly sideways in a race ;)

acctually if i want to talk about drift in GT4, i have to say about it, but i just have a little time, and i would like to shorten it, Amuse S2000 GT1 would be most of the answer. its a understeer car, but it lose grip when u accel. and its stable rear wheel. 1st car to wake me up after i spend my time on GT4

Kinda OT, but what tyres do you feel mimick your real life AW11 best Azureman, in terms of overall grip and characteristics??

I've heard the N2 tires are the most realistic in terms of lap times and car characteristics.

yeah i think too, for so many years and series ( GT1-3) and this time the GT4 is biggest, and i think they wont risk to be said that the lap time between the real and the game is diffrent, so i think for this time the tyre is really really close, but its just guesing :P

NamZycad3
yeah i think too, for so many years and series ( GT1-3) and this time the GT4 is biggest, and i think they wont risk to be said that the lap time between the real and the game is diffrent, so i think for this time the tyre is really really close, but its just guesing :P
lol, someone try the Arcade mode Amuse S2000 on road tires and try to drift in them, very hard , thats my opinion....

I wonder if many people have changed in their preferd drive, has someone "shifted" from let's say FR to MR or MR to 4WD or from 4WD to FF?? I also think you HAVE to get used to it, and that it can't be THAT bad as people first thought:) Since I've learned drifting in GT3 only a month ago, I'm sure I can switch on to GT4 drifting cos I'm not THAT used to GT3 drifting:D:tup:

maybe its just me but i still dont get eh hang of it on drifitng in GT4, maybe it is because im still thinking its GT3. lolz. the cars are so different now. my option is to play GT4 as if it were a totally diferent game. try out my own ways.

Gymkana is the rigth place to learn. You guys just need to practice before saying GT4 drifting isn't realistic. It requires the right wheel, weight transfer, and gas input to produce a drift. Equipe N1 tires and you should be set. Also use the 900 degree wheel will help out the most. I think the physics are very acurate. You have to visualize what your front wheels need to be doing when you are drifting. It needs to be pointing in the direciton of your slide.

From my experiences, at first frusterating when never using it before and coming from using it on GT3 first. Because you'll have treat it like a new game. The wheel really makes GT4 10/10. Don't try to jump the line, I'd recommend doing license test and ensuring that you can record medals with the new wheel before attempting drifting.

thanks.......i was wondering about that...how wel i will do with Ls test with a wheel.Ive always played GT games with a controller andi just got my DFP last Sat......so im really new to the wheel thing...tho im good with one in the arcade games............i really suck at drfiting in GT3 but i have gotten okay at it

indeed, i will mirror precisely what BreakerOhio has just said

now regarding drifting:
My biggest revellation so far has been with regards to countersteering. I believe this is what is causing people the most grief. Coming from the GT3 world where you could countersteer at full-opposite-lock with almost no consequence it will naturally take time to adjust to the much touchier GT4 physics engine.

It looks like you cannot countersteer extensively if you plan on exitting a drift cleanly. I realized this for myself last night in my 350Z convertible (I'll get some vids posted eventually). Only countersteer as much as necessary, I think this will require far more patience and practice than GT3 ever did. Which is a good thing, don't get me wrong.

Countersteering too much has a way of returning you to grip and rendering your car hopelessly out of control. Countersteer in moderation, and only as necessary. When exitting a drift, your CS should be approaching 0 degrees.

that's my version so far.

edit: BTW, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the physics. They feel excellent and far far more lifelike than those used in GT3.

TankSpanker
indeed, i will mirror precisely what BreakerOhio has just said

now regarding drifting:
My biggest revellation so far has been with regards to countersteering. I believe this is what is causing people the most grief. Coming from the GT3 world where you could countersteer at full-opposite-lock with almost no consequence it will naturally take time to adjust to the much touchier GT4 physics engine.

It looks like you cannot countersteer extensively if you plan on exitting a drift cleanly. I realized this for myself last night in my 350Z convertible (I'll get some vids posted eventually). Only countersteer as much as necessary, I think this will require far more patience and practice than GT3 ever did. Which is a good thing, don't get me wrong.

Countersteering too much has a way of returning you to grip and rendering your car hopelessly out of control. Countersteer in moderation, and only as necessary. When exitting a drift, your CS should be approaching 0 degrees.

that's my version so far.

edit: BTW, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the physics. They feel excellent and far far more lifelike than those used in GT3.

TankSpanker's records of this is correct. You will have to learn to not over do the countersteer. The more countersteer you do, the more angle you will get, but the more chance you spin into a 180. Once the slide begins and you have somewhat control of it, like if you are surfing the wave, you'll want to continue to accellerate moderately as needed and you need to start bringing the wheel back to center as your finish your drifts.

On a side note, regarding noobs, share us how you are attempting to produce oversteer and it will help us determine why you guys can't do it. Its better than just saying "I can't drift / oversteer in GT4...the physics suck blah blah." This doesn't help us help you.

BreakerOhio
On a side note, regarding noobs, share us how you are attempting to produce oversteer and it will help us determine why you guys can't do it. Its better than just saying "I can't drift / oversteer in GT4...the physics suck blah blah." This doesn't help us help you.

Can we get that put in plain text at the top of this forum. Not in a sticky, just there so as soon as people come to the drift forum they have to see it.

That's exactly what the new drifters need to hear! 👍

I dunno, the first car I bought was a Silvia K's and it understeers like crazy. I mean I know s13s understeer a little (I have one in real life) but it seems like its way more in this game.

I guess I'll keep trying.

wow... well i didnt expect this kinda turn out with just dumb little thread.. haha. i think one of my biggest problems is.. that i have to use a controller. i dont have the kinda money right now to buy me a nice wheel... and i know some $30 wheel wont do me any good. but how i initiate my drifts is either by.. brakes... weight transfer... or occasionaly e-brake.. but usually only if i start to understeer... i know the basics of drifting... i own an S13 and have done a few events along with the late night drifting in empty parking lots.. haha. but i guess i just gotta mess with my settings more.... also.. how much does that GREAT wheel actually help out!???!!

Latest Posts

Back