First thougts of drifting in GT4...

• Thread starter uglyDRIFT
  • 88 comments
I mini drifted the '74 mits. lancer rally car (4wd beginner prize)...lol
I couldnt hold long corners but short ones were fun....go nos drifters :lol:

this is my 1st post on these forums, and i totally agree. I have been drifting GT-3 for over 2 years but I cant figure GT-4 out at all. Driving aids are weird, i have the understeer turned up to ~15 on most of my cars, and everythign else at 0. Its harder to feel changes in the LSD, i use full customize, not sure what u use on here. Any advice usually in GT-3 i drift AWD cars, but i want to use the FR gen 3 supra on GT-4 because i own one. what are u guys using for driving aids, and tires?

~scott

*king_of_drift*
this is my 1st post on these forums, and i totally agree. I have been drifting GT-3 for over 2 years but I cant figure GT-4 out at all. Driving aids are weird, i have the understeer turned up to ~15 on most of my cars, and everythign else at 0. Its harder to feel changes in the LSD, i use full customize, not sure what u use on here. Any advice usually in GT-3 i drift AWD cars, but i want to use the FR gen 3 supra on GT-4 because i own one. what are u guys using for driving aids, and tires?

~scott
Battle me!!!!!!!!

Add one more first poster to this tread 👍

anyways, I've been drifting in GT3 for 3+ years... and i just can not seem to figure drifting out in 4. the actual racing is way to easy (agian) unfortunatly, and i got bored with it at 20%, so i pulled out the nismo 270r and started trying to work my skills back up.

a good 4-5 hours later ive managed to pull off about 3 good drifts and and fairly frustrated with the game. I think A LOT of it has to do with the 900* wheel. It is a ***** to turn, period. I dont have power steering on my car and I am way more tired after 20 mins @ nurburg with this wheel than I am after a 20 minute session at the track. even some gokarts ive driven are easier to turn.

I think the small diameter of the wheel is a large part of this problem. with the game being so realistic, the smaller wheel doesnt allow you to make the uber fine adjustments like you can with your wheel in your car, and if what ive read is correct, .03% real-to-life physicis+ a small ass wheel=problems.

another thing i have noticed is there is no feel to the brake pedal. When I'm driving a real car I can feel what the brakes are doing thru the brake pedal and the steering wheel both. There is some chop to the wheel if you turn in too early, but absoultly nothing happens to your foot to tell you to easy up.

ok enough with the *****ing, and on to the drifting.

like i said im using the nismo 270r (s14/15 silvia... not to sure which) with around 348 hp. ive played around with the settings pretty much all day but ive been basing them off what i had in GT3 for my 240s. this obviously isnt working and im assuming is causing 90% of the problems im having. of course im not making any mistakes either lol.

it seems my main problem is getting the car sideways smoothly. I'm always either kicking the brakes right before i turn in, which makes the car hop/understeer the entire way thru the corner, or feinting too much because i cant seem to time the blip of the gas or tap of the brakes correctly to match my turn in, which causes me to over rotate thru the corner or spin completely around.

i have been drifiting primarly at Autum ring mini (autum something or other at least) and the only turns i can consistantly drift, or power slide thru, are the 3 left hand decreasing radius turns, and the last 90 comming on to the strait, all of which are 3rd gear. 2nd gear is just too much tire spin, and 4th gear doesnt get the tires to spin at all... and ive messed with the gears, and lsd to the fullest extent.

ok, sorry for making you all read so much...time to go read the settings thread 👍

cliffs:
i suck

Hey shoes welcome to gtplanet.. :) ...

Im not going to attempt to help you with the drift question...(there are people way better than me that can help) :crazy: ....but as for your break pedal problem i saw somewhere where someone did a squish ball mod....where they used one of those stress balls in place of the spring under your brake pedal...I'll see if I cant find a link for you 👍

although this wont be 100% real life it may help because the pedal would get harder to press the more the ball squishes....ill find you a link they show and explain everything.....

Shoes welcome to GTP. Have a good time. Good first post.

first off, thanks for the welcome 👍

next, im not sure how many of you have actually read thru the manual (what small one there was) for the Logitech wheel, but you can decrease the firmness of the force feedback by pressing R3, select, and the left shift paddle at the same time.

i gave it a shot for a bit today and couldnt really tell if it helped my form at all, but it did FEEL like it make the understeer snap back much less intense.

ive also found that the nismo 270r has too much power stock for me to drift... so time to save up for an 86.

on a non drifting related note- i just ran a 6:33.847 at Nurburg with a stock 350 JGTC car... my arms hurt :)

sideslider- a link would be great, not sure if ill actually do it b/c it is only a game and i should just learn to live with it.... but what the hell, maybe i will.

well first day with gt4 i was thinking $%^&%^$^^ this games horrible...but then i startted thinking and practicing and actually learnt how to drive after getting away from gt3 the game is sooo much more sensitive definately going to be a challenge getting good at this, although i dont find it hard to get the car sideways at all its jsut keeping it sideways thats the trouble, let off the gas turn in then mash it and straighten out the wheel and your sideways

Haha I jsut like to add i bought hte game because of the old cars like the old supra. I also own one and the 240. :) those thare the one im gonna drift with.

Well I've been playing a lot in the past few days and I gotta say the drifting is far more realistic. I'm actually not having trouble with most cars with over-correcting, but I am actually finding it difficult to start the drifts for some reason. Any ideas?

Kind of OT but I gotta say I LOVE how responsive the steering is now. I hated in GT3 when you would wiggle the steering left and right and the car would hardly move--fake! Now it's much more responsive like in real life and I'm loving that.

shifting gears at theright time and trying to transfer the car's weight while drifting is hard for me, but I'm getting used to it. i drift in a HKS Hyper Genki Silvia (D1Gp)

shifting gears at theright time and trying to transfer the car's weight while drifting is hard for me, but I'm getting used to it. i drift in a HKS Hyper Genki Silvia (D1Gp)
They're really gonna get on you for replying to a 2+year old topic. My advice to you, reply to something current please (preferable first/second page):)

They're really gonna get on you for replying to a 2+year old topic. My advice to you, reply to something current please (preferable first/second page):)

Not really, if he was searching for an answer then its good. But posting in useless topic is when we are going to flame.

No, he'll be fine. He's posting to an open thread...anyone can put their opinion down....the mods would rather us post here instead of putting up a brand-new thread. That's why they're always telling us to do a search first, to see if any pre-existing threads exist.

Now if this thread was a question to be answered, such as "How do i drift?" and it's already been answered by someone else 2 years ago, it's dumb to reply as if the person asked the original question yesterday (which is what alot of people do).

Anyways, my first thoughts on drifting were: It sounds like it's for advanced drivers...so i'm gonna skim that part of the driver's manual :lol: YUp, it's true! So when i did my first drift, it actually happened by accident.

I never actually wanted to drift in GT but then i was always interested in action moives where cars aren't plain gripping because i always find a bit of skiddingis better than none for visual pleasure :) ( no i'm not getting Kinky ). Seriously though, it'd be cool if you were watching racecars skid on the track, Be it LeMans or even Oval racers..

that's what got me into Speed Drifting rather than regular exhibition.

Speed drifting is good. I use it a lot for time attacking the nurburgring. If you're an advance driver that can drift I'm sure u know that some corners are better if you slide the tires a little than not. Especially for cars that are not up to the race specs and run on low grip tires.

The emergency-brake physics annoy me, too. You can't swing your car around. And I don't think it's unrealistic, because I used to have a stock '91 Integra that I could e-brake into a 180 on a very warm, dry day outside. I just wish you could hit the e-brake, and just have the car go sideways through that.

Oh well! Still practicing the drifting with Nomuken's D1 Skyline... but indeed it is much harder. Even if you get the slide right, too immediate and too much countersteer will swing the car right around in the other direction. It all needs practice I guess. And don't get me started on the turbo lag. :yuck:

ive got my M5 to drift with the handbrake nicely but you are right on all the other cars ive used the handbrake does bugger all to go sideways for me.
I love the turbo lag on this game!

yeah i got ya
but also remeber that your wheels are now perpendicular to the turn, creating friction, giving the front end more resistance, and allowing the rear end to swing out infront of it.

Static Friction (in this case, the tires rolling) takes more force to overcome the friction.

Kinetic Friction (tires going sideways) takes less force to keep going.

Basically, front tires are harder to roll than the rear tires to spin.

=] paid so much attention in class!!

My initial thoughts were" Man...so much grip and you have transfer the weight more now". Though my first successful drift car was the Skyline N1.

Hi, i am learning to drift on GT4 and it seems to be very easy to pick up with the right setup on the car (I use a Toyota Altezza Touring Car with only 400bhp and N2 tyres) but it's a right pain to master. I do own GT3 but had no idea you could drift on it until i went on this forum so i thought i would give it a go and there is no comparison. Drifting on GT4 is so much more realistic. I have only benn playing GT4 for about a week and drifting for a couple of days and as people have said before you have got to be very precise with regards to the steering and throttle imput. i would love to have a go with a wheel but i just dont have that kind of cash laying around so i will have to perfect the art with a pad for the time being. As far as my method lift off then power over with a dab of brakes semms to be working for me at the moment. i hope i have all my spelling and grammer correct because i know some people are a little annoyed by this.

in GT3 there is virtually no turbo lag, so u can drift almost any car 300-1000hp no problem.

but in GT4 there is turbo lag, the more hp u get, the more harder for u to play around like chaining the drift ( cause u need to count in the power smoothness, how u going to control it so u can get into the next coner without stoping your drift )

some NA cars also nice to drift, but not all of them cause high power NA does need u to rev very high and the diffrent in each gear is huge ( example RX-7 LM version, Altezza LM version or S2000 LM version ), most of the time u only can drift with those high rpm range, so for me i prefer low rpm red zone cars.

so in gt4 i suggest u play around cars that about stage 1 or 2 turbo, and for sure if u want to drift longer and chaining all the conner, N1 tires is a must :D but if u good enough u can do it too in N2 or even N3 tires.

anyway if u want to talk more about drift in GT3/GT4 that i once drift almost everyday, u can msn me at ef_2ooo @ h o t m a i l . c o m ( yeah sure without all the spaces :D )

After using nk4e's skyzie setup as my first ever try at drifting, i thought it would be too easy. But i cant get any other car to drift properly at all.
I use a gamepad cos my G25 is hooked to the PC. if i could i would use the wheel.
Would using a wheel make much difference control wise?
I use a wheel in Rfactor and LFS on computer and its great.....

That skyline Setup was my first impression of the game really. N1 Tires and sway it with a bit of ebraking. My style of drifting changes from GT3 to 4, I stopped playing because I lost my style of it. I would often use too much ebrake or didn't like the power usage of it.

My initial thoughts were" Man...so much grip and you have transfer the weight more now". Though my first successful drift car was the Skyline N1.

wow, same here as far as the Skyline. the R34 GT-R Nur V-Spec II was my first drift car, followed by a sliding DC2 and yes its FF and drifts guys, and my latest drift car is an EVO VIII MR GSR. im not the worlds best drifter but i've got a sick replay of my GT-R drifting from about 80% thru the first tunnel on Trail Mountain reverse thru that right handed turn into the second smaller tunnel, then into that left turn.

Yo its not just you when i first started i thought the same thing but GT4 is more realistic. Just get used to it dats all. Do u use DS2 or DFP?

Back