FITT Challenge STi Vs Evo Battle! Results; Congratulations to Praiano63, Otaliema & Brian Wolf

• Thread starter Otaliema
  • 1,044 comments
Explain more, what is the issue?
It just doesn't seem to be able to lower the starting RPM of a gear, no matter how long or wide the gears are the car always wants to be in the top 1000-1200rpm. Kind of feels like the car would be better with a 5 speed to fully utilise the power band.

I use MT, what if you take the car to daytona and try to use manual just to see if is a PD AT issue with that car? Just shift when you hit the redline, you can slow down and downshift and not worry about the brakes or turning too much. Just for information sake? Or Route X.

Last edited:
I use MT, what if you take the car to daytona and try to use manual just to see if is a PD AT issue with that car? Just shift when you hit the redline, you can slow down and downshift and not worry about the brakes or turning too much. Just for information sake? Or Route X.
Probably a good idea, I'll have a look and see if there's any change 👍
(I really should stop being lazy and learn manual lol)

It just doesn't seem to be able to lower the starting RPM of a gear, no matter how long or wide the gears are the car always wants to be in the top 1000-1200rpm. Kind of feels like the car would be better with a 5 speed to fully utilise the power band.
Try this.
Set the FG to 0.500 from bottom, set TS slider to 3/4 of maximum top speed set gears to mid point and smooth them out, shorten the FG to 80 km/h faster than desired top end.

AT is a major problem with any car that doesn't want to rev to the redline.
If a power curve shows a sharp drop from peak power to the redline, the longer the gap between peak & redline, the more the penalty.

Try this.
Set the FG to 0.500 from bottom, set TS slider to 3/4 of maximum top speed set gears to mid point and smooth them out, shorten the FG to 80 km/h faster than desired top end.
Never seen that method before, I don't tend to mess around with the TS. Usually I set it all the way to the left as I thought that was how it was done, opens up something else to play with for sure.

AT is a major problem with any car that doesn't want to rev to the redline.
If a power curve shows a sharp drop from peak power to the redline, the longer the gap between peak & redline, the more the penalty.
The subaru makes good power but its no red line car, the harder you rev it the further away from the power you get.

You can mostly move the peak power band with a high rpm turbo giving it a huge power band between the torque band the peak power area. You lose a tiny bit of acceleration in the torque band but gain a ton near red line

I have an idea for future FITT Challenges:idea:.....Badge of shame and badge of honor:odd:

Shame - finish in last and your car HAS TO BE pink in the next challenge.
Honor - finish in first and you are allowed to paint your car Spirited Green.

To beat the man, you have to be the man :lol::lol::lol:
:lol: that idea is good. I had an idea for a future FITT Challenge...
Mille Miglia: A tuner shootout for cars 1957 or earlier at Cote de azur and one other tracks....

I have an idea for future FITT Challenges:idea:.....Badge of shame and badge of honor:odd:

Bu...Bu...But what if you've already beaten "The Man"? :sly:

:lol::lol::lol:..I'd paint my car pink out of my own free will :D

Mille Miglia: A tuner shootout for cars 1957 or earlier at Cote de azur and one other tracks....

I have never been so happy to see a shootout in a long time *drool* :dopey:👍👍

BUTT now...
Coming Soon
Gemasolar_zps41828cd6.jpg

What times you guys doing on Tsukuba and Valley. I'm at low 1.04 Tsukuba and mid 1.13 Valley East, both on CS. How bad is that?
Sounds about right but you need to change tires for one if the tracks.

Drop that suggestion in the main FITT thread.
I tell ya running a challenge is a ton of work

Good idea, except swap it, do good and you have to go pink?

All 4 of my cars have been done since Monday and tomorrow I will take them for their final drives and decide which ones get to be the lucky ones.

Well, not that I'm intimidated (:scared:), but it does not help to be going up against a PRO in each class in @praiano63 AND @Motor City Hami. And @Otaliema came from nowhere in the last shootout.

Super busy at work right now and @Otaliema has created a really challenging competition. It may help you guys a bit. ;)

I will tell you that I am focusing on the two areas where I have spent less time tuning. My Pro tune is 100% built for the dirt. I have run three total laps at Willow just to check the gearing. I have found a couple of surprising settings that are working for the dirt that have not worked for me in the past on tarmac. Some very odd things. My dirt tune is pretty much done.

As for the Street class in 100% rain, I am totally lost so far. I hate everything that I have driven at Stowe. I am going back to the drawing board. I haven't done much tuning for the rain so I really look forward to the challenge. I am taking the same approach with rain as I did with the dirt, tune for the rain. I will probably drive a few laps on Autumn Ring just to set the gears.

On a different subject, does anyone else with a force feedback wheel know better settings for the dirt. With the G27 it vibrates so much on dirt that I unplugged the FFB power. Is that my only hope for something useful?

Back