FITT FT-86 Concept Challenge - congratulations to all the podium finshers

• Thread starter shaunm80
  • 678 comments
Alright after a few of days of going thru all these tunes, the fun has come to an end. I took each car around for 10 laps, with the track grip set to Real. All aides off except ABS 1. Please note that all tests were done by a novice wheel user on a DFGT.

@shaunm80
LapTime: 1:52.239
DC: 9.0
Comments: I loved the turn in capabilities of this tune. If I hit the apex perfectly it would hold it through entry and mid-corner perfectly, although if I was over zealous with the throttle on exit the back end would pass me on the straights! The brakes and trans we're right on! Very well done tune, which I expected from a veteran. Well Done!

@Otaliema
Laptime: 1:52.783
DC: 7.8
Comments: First lap out with this one it turned a 1:53.082 and I thought great this tune ought to move once I find it's limits. Unfortunately the more I pushed it the less it wanted to cooperate. Brake too hard and the resulting lock up had me missing entries, then when my lack of throttle control was displayed I'd end up in a huge, controllable, drift costing me time. On lap 10 I went back to just a cruise type lap and earned it's fastest time. Oh and the tranny was flawless! Just wished it had more grip less drift!

@coryclifford
Laptime: 1:51.919
DC: 9.7
Comments: This tune is fast! In the right hands i bet it breaks 1:49... Just not these hands! The braking was amazing, allowing me to confidently enter the corners, then get back on the gas just after mid apex. Of course some throttle control was requires to keep the rear end in line on exit. If i was too aggressive at exit the car tended to push. When everything went just right I finally broke the 1:51's! Very well done tune!

@hall90
Laptime: 1:52.099
Comments: This tune was a little tough for me at first... Trying to balance the entry understeer, and oversteer on exit had me lifting and tapping my brakes in crazy spots! But once I was able to get a feel for the tune, it proved to be an absolute joy to drive! The one shortcoming was the transmission, but it was a very minor one... Well Done!!

@xande1959
Laptime: 1:53.240
DC: 7.2
Comments: I just could not get along with this tune... After 10 laps I was only able to put down 4 laps that didn't include a spin or an incredible drift. On exit THROTTLE CONTROL is mandatory, and apparently I don't have enough of it...

@Pete05
Laptime: 1:52.142
DC: 8.5
Comments: This tune was all over the place for me at the begginning... Once I learned how to adapt to the understeer and hit my apexes, I would hop back on the throttle and find my self looking the other way... After a few laps like this I finally found a little balance and managed a couple of cleanish laps where I pulled the fast lap. The brakes were a little strong for me, but the tranny was great! Loved how controllable some of the drifts were too!!

@sinof1337
Laptime: 1:52.583
DC: 7.7
Comments: BRAKE IN A STRAIGHT LINE! Is what i had to keep reminding self otherwise the backend would try to pass me in the corners... Once I remembered that I found the turn in to be incredible. On exit it likes to be sideways, but controlled... Unfortunately that makes my times slower... I'll bet a really aggressive driver could really push this tune!

@Bowtie-muscle
Laptime: 1:52.408
DC: 8.7
Comments: Don't touch the rumble strips!! Other than that this tune was stable and fast! It was very easy to drive consistently. It was in the low 1:53's and 1:52's except for 2 laps when I got over aggressive and found myself staring at a barrier... Great tune Bowtie!

@DaBomm4
Laptime: 1:52.847
Comments: This tune was very difficult for me to control all the way through corners. On slow corners the exit oversteer was obnoxious and required a lot of throttle finesse. On fast corners entry and mid corner understeer was very prevalent. After 7 laps I managed a clean lap earning the fast time. Otherwise they were red or over 1:54. I have attribute it to some lacking in driving ability from myself...

@nijalninja
Laptime: 1:53.964
DC: 7.0
Comments: UNDERSTEER! That's what I fought with on all 10 laps with this car. I could not cleanly enter or exit any corner... If it had a bit more rotation I'm sure i could get it into the 1:52's. The transmission also felt too short on the long straight and had me unsure of what gear to in on turn 3. The braking was superb though!

@fbccars924
Laptime: 1:52.457
DC: 8.8
Comments: Just a little more!! That's all I wanted from this tune! Just a lottle more rotation on entry so I could nail the apexes. Just a lottle more grip on exit to keep the tail end in place. 1:51's would've been within reach if those two things were fixed. Great stability otherwise! And a Great Tune!

@Burned_Rubber
Laptime: 1:51.871
DC: 10.0
Comments: Holy consistency Batman!!! This tune has it all! And it took me around this track faster than any other! My hat's off to you good sir! Congrats on what looks to a be winning tune!!

@TheInfamousJEW6
Laptime: 1:52.062
Comments: You know I thought for sure I'd rate my own tune a perfect 10, but sadly I just couldn't do it! My tune is in dire need of some rotation on entry. Once you remember that, it's a very planted car. Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed it and found it fast!

@Ale67
Laptime: 1:52.039
DC: 9.5
Comments: Another fantastic tune! The only thing keeping it out of the 1:51's was my lack of throttle control... Excellent tune!!

@steve nfs
Laptime: 1:52.252
DC: 9.4
Comments: Fantastic!! If I only had more control of my own inputs, this time could have been much faster. I found the oversteer on exit tough to reel in, and the oversteer on braking took some getting used to... 10 exfra laps in this car and low 1:51's could've been plausible! Great Job!!

Sorry for taking so long to get this up! Had to go into work this afternoon... Hope everyone enjoys this! :cheers:
Thanks for jumping in and testing, hopefully you learned a thing or two about tuning in the process. I always found testing to be a good way to learn how others approach handling and helped me to have another option when tuning. Now let's see.....

Submits first FITT Tune, and is fast.....check
Does first FITT Review, consistent and thorough.....check
Gets first FITT Podium finish.....just might:tup:

Great job out of you so far, good luck moving forward as well. This is what FITT is all about, giving everyone an equal shot at being fast and having fun. Hope you are enjoying yourself, as you and several other new/fairly new guys are doing great. Just in time for me to be slightly off. Now I can only hope you gentlemen stick around for more future challenges.:D

Thanks for jumping in and testing, hopefully you learned a thing or two about tuning in the process. I always found testing to be a good way to learn how others approach handling and helped me to have another option when tuning. Now let's see.....

Submits first FITT Tune, and is fast.....check
Does first FITT Review, consistent and thorough.....check
Gets first FITT Podium finish.....just might:tup:

Great job out of you so far, good luck moving forward as well. This is what FITT is all about, giving everyone an equal shot at being fast and having fun. Hope you are enjoying yourself, as you and several other new/fairly new guys are doing great. Just in time for me to be slightly off. Now I can only hope you gentlemen stick around for more future challenges.:D
I think I will stick around for more future challenges, because it is a learning experience for me and to have some fun with you guy's. :cheers:

irst lap out with this one it turned a 1:53.082 and I thought great this tune ought to move once I find it's limits. Unfortunately the more I pushed it the less it wanted to cooperate. Brake too hard and the resulting lock up had me missing entries, then when my lack of throttle control was displayed I'd end up in a huge, controllable, drift costing me time. On lap 10 I went back to just a cruise type lap and earned it's fastest time. Oh and the tranny was flawless! Just wished it had more grip less drift
It does take getting used too. Great job with the lap and dealing with quirks if this car.

I do apologize that I didn't get the times loaded last night by the time I got my kids down I was so out of it I didn't want to do anything with spread sheets.

It does take getting used too. Great job with the lap and dealing with quirks if this car.

I do apologize that I didn't get the times loaded last night by the time I got my kids down I was so out of it I didn't want to do anything with spread sheets.
No need to apologize mate, family comes first. Especially when they're feeling under the weather.

Without this forum Gran Turismo wouldn't be nearly as much fun, that's for sure! I will definitely be hanging around for future events! This has been such an awesome learning process. All these different approaches to the same car really taught me how different tuners try to "fix" certain problems a car has, and how different those approaches are! It should help me think outside the box when trying to solve an issue with a car! Of course none of this would be possible without the 2 tuning bibles available to us here on GTP. A special thanks from me has to go to @Motor City Hami and @DolHaus for their respected guides, as I have read through both a hundred times! Oh and @Otaliema thank you for your transmission guide! Also no worries about the spreadsheet, sick kiddos must be tended to! Not to mention when the kids are sick, mom and Dad usually aren't far behind! :cheers:

Just a quick question to the tuners as I'm trying to fill up the notebook... And turn the tuners into testers:mischievous:
Have you tried my suggestion to your tune?
Did it help?
If not, what are your thoughts about the recommendation?
Did you find a different (1) change that made your tune better for you?

Just a quick question to the tuners as I'm trying to fill up the notebook... And turn the tuners into testers:mischievous:
Did it help?

The next chance I get to sit down at the console I'll take a look and try your settings and see what can improve it... I'll let you know! Good idea! :cheers:

@xande1959
Comments: I just could not get along with this tune... After 10 laps I was only able to put down 4 laps that didn't include a spin or an incredible drift. On exit THROTTLE CONTROL is mandatory, and apparently I don't have enough of it...

I recognize that some worked on that car did not have time because erred in choosing the car. will be that you forgot something in the setup. no doubt your ability ok.I congratulate you for your courage to drive. thank you .:cheers:

Alright after a few of days of going thru all these tunes, the fun has come to an end. I took each car around for 10 laps, with the track grip set to Real. All aides off except ABS 1. Please note that all tests were done by a novice wheel user on a DFGT.

@shaunm80
Comments: I loved the turn in capabilities of this tune. If I hit the apex perfectly it would hold it through entry and mid-corner perfectly, although if I was over zealous with the throttle on exit the back end would pass me on the straights! The brakes and trans we're right on! Very well done tune, which I expected from a veteran. Well Done!
Thank you for the great review. I am glad that you enjoyed the tune I created. I have never really thought of myself as a veteran in FITT but I guess that I sort of am these days. Scary thought that is :)

You did a great job of testing and your times were really consistent. Thank you very much and I look forward to your participation in the next FITT event. :)

@TheInfamousJEW6 thankfully my wife and I drink super green smoothies so we scoot through most bugs now. 👍

@Lionheart2113 i have not had a chance to find one change but i think dropping front damper compression to 2 would let it dive in more are entry and spring back on throttle so in theory would improve the overall action of the car from entry to exit.

Did it help?
I can see that you made my tune more predictable through the turns but I also found that I was a little slower with the changes and could not match my original lap time. I can see that by hooking up a good lap, the consistency your change makes would give a lap that is equal, if not better, than my original tune but the time that I was able to gain through the bends has been lost as the rear feels grippier now. Not in a bad way for the car but not how I was used to driving it. I am sure that others would prefer your change but I still prefer the oddity that is my setup :)

I haven't tried to change my FITT tune. It still feels pretty good to me but I am biased somewhat.

[USER=231817]@Lionheart2113
i have not had a chance to find one change but i think dropping front damper compression to 2 would let it dive in more are entry and spring back on throttle so in theory would improve the overall action of the car from entry to exit.[/USER]
Lowering front compression will make it dive more on entry but it wouldn't affect rebound on exit, that would be the job of front extension and rear compression, always think in opposite pairs with dampers [/user]

Did it help?
I haven't had the chance to revisit my tune & test your suggestion as yet. 3D life is proving rather busy at the moment. I plan to try it & a few other things once the comp is over.

@shaunm80

@Otaliema
Laptime: 1:52.783
DC: 7.8
Comments: First lap out with this one it turned a 1:53.082 and I thought great this tune ought to move once I find it's limits. Unfortunately the more I pushed it the less it wanted to cooperate. Brake too hard and the resulting lock up had me missing entries, then when my lack of throttle control was displayed I'd end up in a huge, controllable, drift costing me time. On lap 10 I went back to just a cruise type lap and earned it's fastest time. Oh and the tranny was flawless! Just wished it had more grip less drift!

@coryclifford
Laptime: 1:51.919
Comments: This tune is fast! In the right hands i bet it breaks 1:49... Just not these hands! The braking was amazing, allowing me to confidently enter the corners, then get back on the gas just after mid apex. Of course some throttle control was requires to keep the rear end in line on exit. If i was too aggressive at exit the car tended to push. When everything went just right I finally broke the 1:51's! Very well done tune!

@hall90
Laptime: 1:52.099
Comments: This tune was a little tough for me at first... Trying to balance the entry understeer, and oversteer on exit had me lifting and tapping my brakes in crazy spots! But once I was able to get a feel for the tune, it proved to be an absolute joy to drive! The one shortcoming was the transmission, but it was a very minor one... Well Done!!

@xande1959

@Pete05
Laptime: 1:52.142
DC: 8.5
Comments: This tune was all over the place for me at the begginning... Once I learned how to adapt to the understeer and hit my apexes, I would hop back on the throttle and find my self looking the other way... After a few laps like this I finally found a little balance and managed a couple of cleanish laps where I pulled the fast lap. The brakes were a little strong for me, but the tranny was great! Loved how controllable some of the drifts were too!!

@sinof1337
Laptime: 1:52.583
DC: 7.7
Comments: BRAKE IN A STRAIGHT LINE! Is what i had to keep reminding self otherwise the backend would try to pass me in the corners... Once I remembered that I found the turn in to be incredible. On exit it likes to be sideways, but controlled... Unfortunately that makes my times slower... I'll bet a really aggressive driver could really push this tune!

@Bowtie-muscle
Laptime: 1:52.408
DC: 8.7
Comments: Don't touch the rumble strips!! Other than that this tune was stable and fast! It was very easy to drive consistently. It was in the low 1:53's and 1:52's except for 2 laps when I got over aggressive and found myself staring at a barrier... Great tune Bowtie!

@DaBomm4
Laptime: 1:52.847
Comments: This tune was very difficult for me to control all the way through corners. On slow corners the exit oversteer was obnoxious and required a lot of throttle finesse. On fast corners entry and mid corner understeer was very prevalent. After 7 laps I managed a clean lap earning the fast time. Otherwise they were red or over 1:54. I have attribute it to some lacking in driving ability from myself...

@nijalninja
Laptime: 1:53.964
DC: 7.0
Comments: UNDERSTEER! That's what I fought with on all 10 laps with this car. I could not cleanly enter or exit any corner... If it had a bit more rotation I'm sure i could get it into the 1:52's. The transmission also felt too short on the long straight and had me unsure of what gear to in on turn 3. The braking was superb though!

@fbccars924
Laptime: 1:52.457
DC: 8.8
Comments: Just a little more!! That's all I wanted from this tune! Just a lottle more rotation on entry so I could nail the apexes. Just a lottle more grip on exit to keep the tail end in place. 1:51's would've been within reach if those two things were fixed. Great stability otherwise! And a Great Tune!

@Burned_Rubber
Laptime: 1:51.871
DC: 10.0
Comments: Holy consistency Batman!!! This tune has it all! And it took me around this track faster than any other! My hat's off to you good sir! Congrats on what looks to a be winning tune!!

@TheInfamousJEW6
Laptime: 1:52.062
Comments: You know I thought for sure I'd rate my own tune a perfect 10, but sadly I just couldn't do it! My tune is in dire need of some rotation on entry. Once you remember that, it's a very planted car. Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed it and found it fast!

@Ale67
Laptime: 1:52.039
DC: 9.5
Comments: Another fantastic tune! The only thing keeping it out of the 1:51's was my lack of throttle control... Excellent tune!!

@steve nfs
Laptime: 1:52.252
DC: 9.4
Comments: Fantastic!! If I only had more control of my own inputs, this time could have been much faster. I found the oversteer on exit tough to reel in, and the oversteer on braking took some getting used to... 10 exfra laps in this car and low 1:51's could've been plausible! Great Job!!

Sorry for taking so long to get this up! Had to go into work this afternoon... Hope everyone enjoys this! :cheers:
Well I have something to work on now. Thanks.

@Lionheart2113 I went out and tried taking the rear toe out of my tune. I definitely noticed a difference in turn in ability, but i think it sacrafices too much exit grip... After 5 Laps i was still 0.200 off of my best with the toe.

After fiddling with it for 8 more laps I think taking .03 of TOE to make it +.05 and adding .3 of camber to the front helps initiate the rotation on entry this thing was lacking!

Thanks for making me revisit my tune again @Lionheart2113! Now I can't wait for the next FITT event!!! :cheers:

@Lionheart2113 I tried your suggestion of adding a bit of LSD and lemme tell ya, what a trip! Seriously though, I was able to knock off about .2-.3 off of my best time (100-150 initial testing laps), although it was a red lap due to driver error. I found the mid corner grip to be a tad better but I need better throttle control than my skill allows to really notice a difference. But now I know what to look for in the next event. Thanks again!

Alright I just ran a 1:52.8 after 3 days of fiddling with it. I think I'm comfortable posting this:

FITT 500PP FT-86 Challenge

View attachment 462906

Toyota FT-86 Concept '09

Color: Azure Turquoise Metallic

Specs: 500PP
334HP
885kg
211 ft-lb
Parts:

Fully Adjustable Suspension
Racing Brakes
Full Custom Transmission
Full Custom Diff
Triple Plate Clutch
Carbon Drive Shaft
Stage 3 Engine
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Isometric Manifold
Sports Catalytic Converter
Intake Tuning
Stage 3 Weight Reduction
Window Weight Reduction

Tires: Sports Hard

Suspension: Front/Rear

Ride Height: 95/100
Spring Rate: 3.60/4.75
Compression: 5/3
Extension: 4/4
Anti-Roll Bars: 4/4
Camber: 0.0/0.0
Toe: -0.26/+0.08
Brake Balance: 5/3

Transmission:

Reset to Default
Set Final to 5.250
Set Max Speed to 124

First Gear: 3.328
Second Gear: 2.560
Third Gear: 2.036
Fourth Gear: 1.668
Fifth Gear: 1.410
Sixth Gear: 1.200

Final Gear: 3.666

Fully Customizable Diff: Rear

Initial Torque: 6
ACC Sensitivity: 8
Braking Sens.: 12

Power:

Power Limiter: 100%

Body:

Ballast: 5kg
Postition: 35%

Tuned with all assists off except ABS 1
Sure Hope I didn't miss anything... Please let me know if I did:cheers:

View attachment 462907

Edit: Might be useful to note this was also tuned using a DFGT, that I've had for about 3 months. So I'm still learning the nuances of the wheel and pedals...

Where can i find the paint color ?

@Lionheart2113 I went out and tried taking the rear toe out of my tune. I definitely noticed a difference in turn in ability, but i think it sacrafices too much exit grip... After 5 Laps i was still 0.200 off of my best with the toe.

After fiddling with it for 8 more laps I think taking .03 of TOE to make it +.05 and adding .3 of camber to the front helps initiate the rotation on entry this thing was lacking!

Thanks for making me revisit my tune again @Lionheart2113! Now I can't wait for the next FITT event!!! :cheers:

Thank you for taking the time to revisit your tune. I'm glad to hear that you made it a better ride for you...a shame I didn't;) Your description of how the car reacted fits perfectly with what I have...straight from my notes...

More rear TOE (+) = Helps from center off, but can get snug trying to get down to apex. (Needs help on initial turn in; possibly small amount of front camber. Too much rear TOE makes you think you can jump on the throttle sooner, but can lead you into a tight exit.

@Lionheart2113 I tried your suggestion of adding a bit of LSD and lemme tell ya, what a trip! Seriously though, I was able to knock off about .2-.3 off of my best time (100-150 initial testing laps), although it was a red lap due to driver error. I found the mid corner grip to be a tad better but I need better throttle control than my skill allows to really notice a difference. But now I know what to look for in the next event. Thanks again!

Like I said, I probably shouldn't have messed with your tune because I thought it was awesome, and so do others from the look of it. It sounds dumb, but I wanted the rear to lose grip for better rotation to gain corner speed. That's like the tail wagging the dog, but it seemed to work.:confused:

I uploaded my 1:50.242 replay to YouTube. I can see where I could trim off a bit of time, bit I don't know about a whole quarter second.

First of all, am I right in guessing you're an AT user? If you use MT, you have the option of picking your gears for each corner & I can see where I would try a higher gear in a few places. Secondly, I don't like telling a chicken how to lay an egg but, I think there's a few corners in the replay where, if you slow your entry speed a little and hit the apexes, you'll have a faster & cleaner exit onto the following straights.
In a class so close, every km/h or mph you can gain on exit will add up at the end of straight & transfer to time gained on the stopwatch at the end of the lap.
By the way, who's tune were you driving in your replay?

By the way, who's tune were you driving in your replay?

Yes, I am an auto trans driver and that was the infamous jew tune. I agree I came n a little hot in some places, but it was often intentional. The line through 2-3 could have been just a hair better, but I have hit the smoother line and it's not always faster. It really depends on the attitude of the car when you are ready for it to rotate back the other way. The slight tire smoke in the last corner hurt a bit, but not more than a tenth.

I uploaded my 1:50.242 replay to YouTube. I can see where I could trim off a bit of time, bit I don't know about a whole quarter second.

Over all fantastic lap. If you wanted to clean up the lap some it would be the two chicanes, tuck it a. It tigger on 2/3 clip the curb in two and graze it in three and you will carry more speed down to 4. And 6/7, you can get another 5-8 mph through that. Done right even in my tune you can clear it at 111-115 mph (180-190 kmh)

My sons cold came back around for round two and has smacked him good. So I can't promise when I will get back to testing. I hope I will be able to get it all done I may be cramming but I will do my best to finish testing once he is well again.

Back