FITT Hot Version Drivetrain Challenge - Congratulations to Lionheart2113 & ImToLegitToQuit

• Thread starter DolHaus
  • 861 comments
Results are in for Road Racers

All cars tested for 10 minutes (usually 7 complete laps), using DS3 (x throttle and square brake) with all aids off except ABS1 (unless stated otherwise) and driving line.

Posted in tested order.

@Lionheart2113

Motegi - 1:27:376
SSR5 - 1:28:622
DC - 7.5

Good turn in bordering on oversteer. A little throttle control required to get around safely. Good performance over the 2 tracks. Felt quite loose.

@ImToLegitToQuit

Motegi - 1:27:731
SSR5 - 1:28:003
DC - 7

A little stiffer and felt quite stable. Understeer present though, with the odd loss of grip through the faster sections. Fared better at SSR5 for me.

@DolHaus

Motegi - 1:27:511
SSR5 - 1:28:248
DC - 8
Nice stable car with good turn in and rotation. Noticed a bit of oversteer on SSR5.

@xande1959

Motegi - 1:27:303
SSR5 - 1:28:053
DC - 8
A bit of understeer present but a good solid tune. Good grip through the corners and easy to get the power down.

@Gino Caberlin

Motegi - 1:27:477
SSR5 - 1:28:598
DC - 8
Good solid tune with a hint of oversteer at Motegi. Good all round car at SSR5.

@sinof1337

Motegi - 1:27:900
SSR5 - 1:30:435
DC - 7
Issues with understeer here, more noticable on SSR5, and it hurt the lap times. Had to lift off for corners that should have been full throttle. More managebale at Motegi.

@787bcgr

Motegi - 1:27:082
SSR5 - 1:29:631
DC - 7.5
Some off throttle understeer that I had to alter my line for. Easier to get round Motegi. Understeer again affected time at SSR5. Easy to get on the power.

@CyKosis1973

Motegi - 1:27:335
SSR5 - 1:29:415
DC - 8.5
Felt quite light and nimble, strange considering what was in the boot. Less understeer than I was expecting, but still had some issues at SSR5. Stable under braking and no drama's getting on the power.

@randyrockstiff

Motegi - 1:27:475
SSR5 - 1:29:369
DC - 8.5
Well balanced car. Good under braking and easy to get power down. Good turn in and rotation through the corner. A little off throttle understeer. Good balance on both tracks.

@Otaliema

Motegi - 1:27:151
SSR5 - 1:29:793
DC - 8
As the notes say, corner entry is key. If you get that right, mash the throttle and it'll stick. Get it wrong though, and you'll not recover. Good job on Twin Ring.

@Bowtie-muscle

Motegi - 1:27:639
SSR5 - 1:28:947
DC - 8.5
Comfortable car to drive. Good turn in and rotaion with a little understeer through the slower corners. Be careful how far you push it though.

@shaunm80

Motegi - 1:27:059
SSR5 - 1:28:916
DC - 9
Well balanced car over both tracks. Slight issue with lock up under braking on SSR5, but easily sorted. Good job on Motegi.

@Ridox2JZGTE
ABS0
Motegi - 1:29:846
SSR5 - 1:31:346
DC - 6
Feels like a well balanced car, but my inability to drive ABS0 shows in the times. Struggled to cope with the lock up under braking and the lack of response immediately after. You did manage to make it driveable thoug.

@MrGrado
ABS0
Motegi - 1:31:952
SSR5 - 1:35:412
DC - 5
Really struggled in this one. Brakes locked up very early compare to Ridox's submission, then suffered from brake release oversteer, which I struggled to contain on SSR5. A little easier to control at Motegi. I don't think i'll be moving to ABS 0 whilst using a DS3.
Thank you for testing, good job 👍

Little to aggressive on the throttle on there ;) break it in coast it a little than mash the throttle and it will turn on a dime, the big key is learning when to smash the gas for each type of turn, thank you for the review I'll look into loosing the tail a bit but keeping most of the stability.
Yeah I might have been a little impatient on the throttle :dunce:
I find that the thing with higher Acc values is that they make the car want to pull in a straight line whenever you're on the throttle. In order for this to be effective on twistier sections the front end needs to be able to rotate slightly faster than the rear, with yours I found the problem was that the front end was pulling too much of the power and only wanted to go in a straight line as a result. With more power distributed to the rear wheels and a lower front acc value you can allow the rear wheels to push the nose into the corner using the throttle rather than trying to straighten up, a little bit of slip from the rear wheels helps but is easy to over do and turn it into a handful.

I've noticed a lot of people using Acc/Dec values lower than their Initial values, as a general note I will point out that this doesn't really do anything. The Initial is a pre-load setting and means that the number set is the lowest (most open) the diff can operate under any circumstances.
Lets say you have 12/10/10, because the Initial is higher than the Acc/Dec the diff is actually operating at 12/12/12 because the pre-load (initial) overrides both of the other values 👍

@DolHaus would you have liked my tune more, would it have been better with rear downforce at 325? I had it there and my time was better at SSR5 but suffered at Motegi on exit, flipped a coin and upped it. Did I call tails for the wrong option? :dopey:
I think a slight reduction in downforce would have made the high speed handling much better, shouldn't really affect low speed exit though and if it does then lowering the LSD Acc value a little will clean that up.

I don't like the way downforce is applied in GT6, it just seems to come on like a switch at 100mph and suddenly the car is welded to the road and made of lead. There isn't any sort of gradual increase with speed and goes from having a slight effect to overwhelming within a few mph. You can overcome this to an extent by running high spring rates and/or damper comp but this isn't always the best option for a track

@DolHaus thanks for testing Sir! Pretty good lap times out of that car, guess it's not as easy a drive as the RX-7 boys. But lap times are really good at Motegi, now to shake off @shaunm80 as we are side by side in those beasts.:D....Maybe he is just starting to pull away though:irked:
I have to say, we are mightily close between our two cars. I am looking forward to the final result. One things for sure, its going to be close both in dc and time going by the current feedback from testers. :)

@biffa3 Nice to see you testing...I don't remember seeing you on the list, but glad you found the time. Thanks for the review sir!👍
@DolHaus Can't blame you for that review...totally botched it compared to others. Need to learn how to take some of the adjustments further. The streak of 1st place finishes is def coming to an end with this one, but there are loads of cars that are tuned well.:cheers:

@biffa3 Nice to see you testing...I don't remember seeing you on the list, but glad you found the time. Thanks for the review sir!👍
@DolHaus Can't blame you for that review...totally botched it compared to others. Need to learn how to take some of the adjustments further. The streak of 1st place finishes is def coming to an end with this one, but there are loads of cars that are tuned well.:cheers:

Was only a tentative to begin with. Had a relative in hospital and wasn't sure when they'de be out, and then had a week of hols. Managed to get all but 4 done before I went away, and managed to finish them off today. Then realised there was a deadline extension!! Not enough time for the other class though unfortunately.

RESULTS

Im2: SSR5: 1:28.699
Motegi: 1:27.397
DC: 9.0

LIONHEART SSR5: 1.29.601
MOTEGI: 1:28.008
DC 8

DOLHAUS SSR5: 1:28.940
MOTEGI: 1:27.329
DC 9.0

XANDE SSR5: 1:29.628
MOTEGI: 1:27.336
DC 8.5

GINO SSR5 1:29.505
MOTEGI 1:27.437
DC 8.0

SIN SSR5 1:30.777
MOTEGI 1:28.263
DC 8.0

787 SSR5 1:30.232
MOTEGI 1:27.868
DC 8.0

CY SSR5 1:29.502
MOTEGI 1:27.572
DC 9.0

OTAL SSR5 1:29.639
MOTEGI 1:27.264
DC 8.5

RANDY SSR5 1:29.337
MOTEGI 1:27.407
DC 8.5

BOWTIE SSR5 1:28.498
MOTEGI 1:26.996
DC 9.5

RIDOX SSR5 1:30.431
MOTEGI 1:29.358
DC 7.0

SHAUN SSR5 1:28.847
MOTEGI 1:27.041
DC 9.0

MR. GRADO SSR5 1:31.428
MOTEGI 1:29.445
DC 7.0

Reviews

RE Amemiya FD3S RX7
@ImToLegitToQuit (ABS 1/Standard Rims) Very fast and stable. 2nd gear felt a little off to me- due to me using Automatic transmission. A bit tight on SSR5- but a super solid tune overall.
@Lionheart2113 (ABS 1/Standard Rims) Good corner rotations a bit of understeer but still manageable. Performed better at SSR5 than Motegi for me. The first half of Motegi was awesome but it struggled a bit in the 2nd half.
@DolHaus (ABS 1/Standard Rims) Even though your settings were off- this was still an awesome tune. Slower corners were a bit of trouble with understeer otherwise a very solid tune. Thank you for being an awesome Event Sponsor!!!!
@xande1959 (ABS 1/Standard Rims) Man I liked this tune but it seemed to never come back to me time wise. Seemed a bit twitchy at times- very manageable but making adjustments on the fly really hurt it. I know if I had more time to test this car I could figure it out- but 10 laps wasn’t enough time for me to figure it out.
@Gino Caberlin RX7 (ABS 1/Standard Rims/Improved Body Rigidity) At SSR5 I just couldn’t get it around the track the way I’d liked to. Pulled a few “Harvey Wallbangers” with it in the tight sections. I kinda liked this car a bit better at Motegi it performed good in the first half and OK in the 2nd half but understeer seemed present still yet.
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR Touring Car '05
@sinof1337 (ABS 1/Standard Rims Very fast in a straight line- very unstable with oversteer in corners. Had a couple of spins at both tracks.
@787bcgr (ABS 1/Standard Rims Understeered pretty bad. I was always being too careful not to hit the gas too hard. Gave me a good workout. Just not stable enough for my driving style. It was fast in a straight line- with great acceleration but I just couldn’t figure out the best way to get around the corners.
@CyKosis1973 (ABS 1/Standard Rims)
“The Godfather”
Gotta say out of the EVO’s this one was my favorite. It brought that rare smile to my face the first time I drive a tune. A bit of understeer but not too much- very stable. Very good straight line speeds yet again here. However no matter what I just couldn’t find enough time with it. A better driver could find a good bit of time . This tune is a keeper. Don’t worry I won’t let anybody look in the trunk.
@Otaliema (ABS 1/+1" Rims) “The Lawn Mower” Just couldn’t get enough rotation for the corners. Bounced off some walls at SSR5 and I cut the grass at Motegi. However after several laps I started learning the car and the times started going down. A fast car once you learn it.
@randyrockstiff (ABS 1/Standard Rims) I really liked this car. Very stable and clean. Suffered on corner exits and seemed a bit “twitchy” on slower corners on both circuits.
Acura NSX LM Race Car '91
@Bowtie-muscle (ABS 1/Standard Rims) This tune was great. It was fun and fast. Another smile came on my face while driving this car. The understeer was just enough to get me around the corners without taking it too far. A bit of a balancing act during the first few laps after learning it WOW I had fun with this car. It was perfect at Motegi and a 9/10 at SSR5 I wouldn’t change anything on it.
@Ridox2JZGTE (ABS 0/Standard Rims/Improved Body Rigidity) Ok I admit this is the first car I have ever driven on ABS 0. The brakes just felt so heavy on it. The car seemed to have a mind of it’s own sometimes doing what it wanted to either understeer or oversteer. I just couldn’t control it. The car was fun though and made me laugh with it’s quirky nature.
@shaunm80 (ABS 1/Standard Rims) I liked the fact that this seemed like an all or nothing type of tune. You took a risk Shaun and it worked. Had to be careful with the throttle get it right and you’ll get an awesome lap get it wrong and a 360+ degree turn is in your future.
@MrGrado (ABS 0/Standard Rims/Improved Body Rigidity) “Wild Thing”
Wild Thing I can’t control you. Wow this car was fast it was fun and it was deadly. ABS 0 and the brakes just didn’t work. I had more dirty laps than clean with the car. Add ABS 1 and change the brake balance and take out some of the understeer and this baby would fly.

Last edited:
@DolHaus your doing a great job with this one. Looks like I picked the wrong car for the road racers lol second amungest the evo's but 9th overall.

I hear what your saying on the torque split I tried it at just about ever split from 25:75 to 50:50 and 50:50 gave the best feeling albeit it the most understeer, thought I had worked that out guess I didn't quite get it right. For SnG's take it back it and put some sh tires on the tail change nothing else and tell me its not a blast, will prolly be a 1/4 second slower though.

@CyKosis1973

SSR5: 1:30.226
Motegi: 1:28.248

DC: 8

Felt really good to drive, brakes felt solid and predictable, corner entry was good at lower speeds and the extra downforce helped maintain that grip through mid and exit. As long as you kept it under 110mph it would do as you asked but above this it would become a bit unresponsive. The combination of downforce and ballast seemed to kill the cars straight line performance, it felt like it should have been faster but the clock always said otherwise.

@CyKosis1973

Motegi - 1:27:335
SSR5 - 1:29:415
DC - 8.5
Felt quite light and nimble, strange considering what was in the boot. Less understeer than I was expecting, but still had some issues at SSR5. Stable under braking and no drama's getting on the power.

CY SSR5 1:29.502
MOTEGI 1:27.572
DC 9.0
Thanks a lot, guys. For now, that pretty much makes it a solid 8/10 car and time-wise, right in the middle of the Evo pack. I'm more than happy with that 👍

As always, your time and efforts are appreciated :cheers:

{Cy}

Road Racers Reviews

-Track settings Grip set to real ABS 1/0 (as defined) all other aids off.

-All tunes were tested at Motegi East first then SSR5 without changing tunes.
-All tunes were tested until I felt I had got all I could out of them.
-All tunes tested with DFGT and manual transmission.
-All tunes tested as posted.

RX7

@ImToLegitToQuit

SSR5: 1:28.674
Motegi: 1:27.527

Thrashed it at Motegi and nice and smooth at SSR5. A good all round tune with a nice touch of BLOR. Well done.

@Lionheart2113

SSR5: 1:27.981
Motegi: 1:27.081

DC: 7.5

Remarkably unremarkable. Just quick. Well done.

@DolHaus

SSR5: 1:28.254
Motegi: 1:27.983

Felt a bit stiff and a bit tail happy. But, effortless at 95%. Well done.

@xande1959

SSR5: 1:28.796
Motegi: 1:27.563

Some nice controlable brake lift off rotation. Very predictable. Very stable. Well done.

@Gino Caberlin

SSR5: 1:29.165
Motegi: 1:27.504

DC: 8.5

I liked the soft setup here. I felt telepathicly connected to the tyres. Shame the gearing was a tad short for SSR5.
I`ve written "a joy to drive" in my notes. Well done.

Lancer

@sinof1337

SSR5: 1:30.037
Motegi: 1:28.968

DC: 6.5

Not a bad tune, but exit understeer killed the times. Well done.

@787bcgr

SSR5: 1:29.699
Motegi: 1:27.611

Had to brake deep into the slower corners to avoid a wobbly exit. But this greatly helped rotation. Easy to
be consistant, but difficult to be fast in the faster corners at SSR5. Well done.

@CyKosis1973

SSR5: 1:29.906
Motegi: 1:28.032

DC: 7

This tune felt heavy. But with a pro silkiness I associate with Hami`s tunes. A rear bias to the torque split
would have made it faster for me. Well done.

@Otaliema

SSR5: 1:28.720
Motegi: 1:27.529

Good rotation for a 4x4, but longish braking zones. Precision needed here, but very fast. Well done.

@randyrockstiff

SSR5: 1:28.903
Motegi: 1:27.877

A fun tune to drive, this is. Excellent turn in for a 4x4, just some understeer in fast corners cost some time.
Well done.

NSX

@Bowtie-muscle

SSR5: 1:28.048
Motegi: 1:27.779

Fast and well balanced except under braking, where it got a bit twitchy for me.
Very close to awesome. Well done.

@Ridox2JZGTE

SSR5: 1:30.132
Motegi: 1:30.121

DC: 6

Better at SSR5 due to less heavy braking zones. I couldn`t get on with no brakes then locked brakes.
However, I really liked the balance of this chassis. But the brakes killed the fun. Well done.

@shaunm80

SSR5: 1:28.713
Motegi: 1:27.785

Brakes were a bit angry for me. But a very nice drive at Motegi. Understeer at SSR5 not so much fun but
not enough to spoil it. Well done

@MrGrado

SSR5: 1:29.730
Motegi: 1:28.380

I really enjoyed this terrifying rollercoaster of a learning curve. Tickle the brakes, and just before they
lock up, throw it at the apex and hold on. Some more rear end stability would have made it less terrifying, but
probably less fun! Well done.

Road Racers Reviews

RX7

@ImToLegitToQuit

Thrashed it at Motegi and nice and smooth at SSR5. A good all round tune with a nice touch of BLOR. Well done.

@Lionheart2113

@DolHaus

@xande1959

Some nice controlable brake lift off rotation. Very predictable. Very stable. Well done.

@Gino Caberlin

I liked the soft setup here. I felt telepathicly connected to the tyres. Shame the gearing was a tad short for SSR5.

Lancer

@sinof1337

@787bcgr

Had to brake deep into the slower corners to avoid a wobbly exit. But this greatly helped rotation. Easy to
be consistant, but difficult to be fast in the faster corners at SSR5. Well done.

@CyKosis1973

This tune felt heavy. But with a pro silkiness I associate with Hami`s tunes. A rear bias to the torque split

@Otaliema

Good rotation for a 4x4, but longish braking zones. Precision needed here, but very fast. Well done.

@randyrockstiff

A fun tune to drive, this is. Excellent turn in for a 4x4, just some understeer in fast corners cost some time.
Well done.

NSX

@Bowtie-muscle

@Ridox2JZGTE

Better at SSR5 due to less heavy braking zones. I couldn`t get on with no brakes then locked brakes.
However, I really liked the balance of this chassis. But the brakes killed the fun. Well done.

@shaunm80

Brakes were a bit angry for me. But a very nice drive at Motegi. Understeer at SSR5 not so much fun but

@MrGrado

I really enjoyed this terrifying rollercoaster of a learning curve. Tickle the brakes, and just before they
lock up, throw it at the apex and hold on. Some more rear end stability would have made it less terrifying, but
Wow! Fastest one at both tracks with you at the wheel, nice job! Just a handful ain't it? Thanks mate:tup:
:cheers:

Road Racers Reviews

RX7

@ImToLegitToQuit

@Lionheart2113

@DolHaus

@xande1959

@Gino Caberlin

Lancer

@sinof1337

@787bcgr

@CyKosis1973

@Otaliema

@randyrockstiff

Well done.

NSX

@Bowtie-muscle

@Ridox2JZGTE

@shaunm80

@MrGrado

thanks for the kind review brother, greatly appreciated

Road Racers Reviews

RX7

@ImToLegitToQuit

@Lionheart2113

@DolHaus

@xande1959

@Gino Caberlin

Lancer

@sinof1337

@787bcgr

@CyKosis1973

@Otaliema

@randyrockstiff

Well done.

NSX

@Bowtie-muscle

@Ridox2JZGTE

@shaunm80

@MrGrado

Thank you for testing, great job 👍

just out of curiousity will the results be posted on here as i cant download the document, my BRICK of a phone wont let me
I will figure out a way to display the final results as a picture and post it in the OP when the contest is over

Wow! Fastest one at both tracks with you at the wheel, nice job! Just a handful ain't it? Thanks mate:tup:
:cheers:
It just went where I pointed it. No fuss and no drama. Not as much fun as i`d thought it would be tho.👎 All this success is making your tunes boring!!;)
thanks for the kind review brother, greatly appreciated
All good mate.:cheers: I really liked your tune.👍

No probs @DolHaus :gtpflag:

@brian wolf thank you for the feedback, looks like i need to take a lok at my breaking lol, last couple of events simular feedback, long breaking zones -_-
Not much in it. just enough of a difference to the other Evos to put me in the gravel a few times, and for me to know I could be going quicker! Great chassis tho! :cheers:
High praise, indeed, thank you kindly, Sir...

{Cy}
It had a real pro feel to it mate. Proper class.👍

Just got the NSX's left for the Racers yay I should finish tomorrow.

Not much in it. just enough of a difference to the other Evos to put me in the gravel a few times, and for me to know I could be going quicker! Great chassis tho! :cheers:
Thank you. After testing and reviewing the Evo's today I have narrowed the braking problem to a couple of things.
A; My brakes are too strong and the tires are skipping due to the ABS.
B; The car is too fast and heavy for the tires and it's skidding under braking. (i know it's not one or the other as the RX-7 is faster and @CyKosis1973 & @randyrockstiff cars are just as heavy and have lighter brakes)
C; Combo of the two above.

Just got the NSX's left for the Racers yay I should finish tomorrow.

Thank you. After testing and reviewing the Evo's today I have narrowed the braking problem to a couple of things.
A; My brakes are too strong and the tires are skipping due to the ABS.
B; The car is too fast and heavy for the tires and it's skidding under braking. (i know it's not one or the other as the RX-7 is faster and @CyKosis1973 & @randyrockstiff cars are just as heavy and have lighter brakes)
C; Combo of the two above.
Poor braking can also be down to front springs/damper compression being too stiff and rear damper extension being too low. All for the same basic reason of transferring too much weight onto the front tyres during braking too quickly and not absorbing enough energy with the springs.

Not saying these are wrong on your cars, just another element to consider 👍

Poor braking can also be down to front springs/damper compression being too stiff and rear damper extension being too low. All for the same basic reason of transferring too much weight onto the front tyres during braking too quickly and not absorbing enough energy with the springs.

Not saying these are wrong on your cars, just another element to consider 👍
Yeah the car is on the stuff side for front end but at the same time only a little softer and it over loads at turn in, so I'm thinking it's break balance or speed & weight.

It had a real pro feel to it mate. Proper class.👍
Thanks a lot, comments like this are why we partake in these events :cheers:
Yeah the car is on the stuff side for front end but at the same time only a little softer and it over loads at turn in, so I'm thinking it's break balance or speed & weight.
Under the caveat that I haven't driven any of the other cars here, but comparing ours and @randyrockstiff's cars, there's a couple of things I'd look at to help with the braking.

Firstly, shift the ballast further to the rear, take some weight off the front wheels.

Dampers probably need a tweak, as they are they're going to be highly resistant to weight transferring forward. High front COMP and rear EXT is going to effectively lock the suspension, during braking.

You may want to reduce the front spring a little too, you're running plenty of rear. Add a click or two of front ARB to compensate for softening the springs and dampers.

Lastly, have a look at your front toe. Whilst negative (-) front toe is good for braking stability, too much will cause you to scoot straight past the apex. You probably only need a quarter of the toe 👍

{Cy}

Back