FITT Hot Version Drivetrain Challenge - Congratulations to Lionheart2113 & ImToLegitToQuit

• Thread starter DolHaus
  • 861 comments
That might be true with a FR but gor the monsters that @CyKosis1973 and I made go very wide at entry of the left hand leading in so you set up on the inside of the exit, than your wide for the first right handed and just punch it clipping the first apex and and power it through left handed. Same thing works on the chicanes on SSR5, done right you clear the chicanes at 180+ kph and hit the end of the straight at 210kph+.
Done right your entering at 160kph leaving at 185ish and never touch the grass just the curbs. @Lionheart2113 did you get that sequence just right? (I ask cause it's a pain to do) It's good for a half second or more on a lap. Same with the last left handed of the track set wide, dive at the apex and drift out. Feather the throttle between 50-75%, can take or add over a second there.
You go slower into the left hander so you can better place yourself for the chicane and accelerate all the way through it. Doesn't feel as fast or dramatic as the other line but you will leave the ghost for dead by the end of the following straight.

The right hander before the chicane, yes taking a late turn in/wide line is a must with 4WD and it helps get me to the left side of the track leading to the chicane. At the chicane I like to give myself the straightest line through (my thinking...less chance of weight transfer and the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line) and make the left turn just before the rumble strip. I try to hook the grass with the left front to rotate better, but if I miss I find myself swinging wide on exit. Left front on pavement, right front/left rear on strip, and the right rear in the gravel. At that point I'm at the mercy of the grip gods and ride it out from there with little steering input as possible. Could use a little bit of throttle control, but my thumb won't listen to my brain and let off the gas.:dunce:

Hey guys- I wanted to make sure I had the time to finish testing before I said anything here. For the Road Racers division I only have the NSX's to go. I should be able to finish up testing tonight. I'll post my results as soon as get the rest of the cars tested. Great job everybody I've had a lot of fun driving your awesome cars!!! Wish I had more time so I could do the street division as well- but life stuff. :)

Well, these guys would be the ones to ask, they always have great suggestions....except for nicknames. You get that sorted and you have yourself a monster that can be used by a large range of drivers!👍
If you have a problem with your nickname I am sure we can find another :sly:.

As I see it, you are currently ahead in both classes right now (only you tested racers tho) :odd:, if this trend continues you may want to stick with orange paint and the name Mary! :mischievous: But you might get a couple others thrown at you as well. Don't think the Mods want me typing them yet, however.

You go slower into the left hander so you can better place yourself for the chicane and accelerate all the way through it. Doesn't feel as fast or dramatic as the other line but you will leave the ghost for dead by the end of the following straight.

I believe the words everyone is looking for with their many long winded explinations is: sacrifice. You sacrifice the first corner for a better exit from the second corner for the straight after. :D:cheers:

Remember: always draw your driving line backwards, from the straight at the end of the complex to the entry of the complex.

Edit:
I apologize, I could have said that much better.

Last edited:
All cars were given a minimum of 20 laps using a DS3 controller. With auto transmission
Please forgive me for the lack of any real help in these reviews, for a non tuner I really struggle with this part of testing and spend nearly as much time on this part of the job.
Deep Forrest still to come.

@sinof1337__ 2.55.911 -- DC 7.875
Eiger. 1.20.397
DC. 7.75

Has good turn in for the first section if you take a slow inside line, was hard to turn if I went just a little bit wide, throttle control was easy to manage and the uphill section caused no problems.

Deep Forrest. 1.35.514
DC. 8
I liked this car on this track , you could apply throttle a lot earlier without worrying about sliding... it felt safe all the time,mistakes were easy to fix, a little bit more turn in would be good, after looking at the replay I noticed that I spent most of the time in the middle of the track instead of the edge.

@787bcgr--- 2.55.696 -- DC 7.625
Eiger. 1.20.231
DC. 7.5

For the most part the car handled pretty well, but you really had to be on the right approach ,it handled the first section reasonably well but is quite slippery, and the left right after the tunnel was a problem getting a consistent run through without too much sliding. The ABS 0 took a bit of getting used to and took a fair bit to lock up, the difference with ABS 1 was .432.

Deep Forrest. 1.35.465
DC. 7.75
I liked the car on this track, although it was a lot of work keeping it off the guard rails ,change of direction was good , the brakes were reasonably good... I only locked up a couple of times, lack of traction was the main problem.

@nijalninja---2.55.665 DC 7.5
Eiger. 1.20.089
DC. 8

Drives pretty well, a bit more turn in/ grip for the first few corners would be good,handles from the right hander before the tunnel to the finish line really well .

Deep Forrest. 1.35.576
DC. 7
Struggled with the lack of front end grip, it would continually push wide so I just couldn't get into a good rhythm , time wise there was very little between the Toyota's so it shouldn't take much too be on par with the others.

@Ridox2JZGTE--- 2.57.797 DC 7
Eiger. 1.21.039
DC. 6.5

This car was at a disadvantage straight away as i don't drive many FF cars and ABS 0 gets changed to ABS 1 as soon as I get to the first corner normally.
After twenty laps I never once passed the time I did with the stock car, it took me six attempts to get around the first corner without overshooting while trying to adjust to the brakes, corner rotation was not so good ,
I know that your specs are based on real cars ... but for me I found without the ballast the car turned and felt better. 62:38 weight distribution V 58:42.
I spent a lot of laps with this car to give the no ABS a decent go but in the end it's not for me, sorry

Deep Forrest.... 1.36.758
DC. 7.5

Better suited for this track, I could hold a good line most of the time, but I had to go slow to achieve it... it just needs a better corner rotation, I didn't have any problems with the brakes here.

@ImToLegitToQuit---2.54.916 DC 8
Eiger. 1.19.779
DC. 8

Surprisingly quick considering the not so good traction at the front, it has good turn in and the rear comes comes around with the slightest bit of throttle lift off, ran consistent times through out. Pretty good overall .

Deep Forrest
DC. 8

Was easy to keep a good line, change of direction was good, good grip for medium speed corners, and I got the last corner coming on to the straight more consistently.

@krenkme --- 2.55.354 DC 7.75
Eiger. 1.19.924
DC. 7.75
Gets around the first set of corners well, but finding the right line on the way up was a hit and miss, with the right line there's just the one little lift off for the right hander after the tunnel, then it's full power to the top, get it a little wrong and there's two or three little back offs because of the way FF's pull to the outside under power.
Overall the car did every thing pretty good ...

Deep Forrest
DC. 7.75

Pretty good overall , but I had trouble keeping the right line consistently , medium corner grip was good as long as I had throttle control, just a bit too much and it's back to the drawing board, just a little bit more turn in or a way to get the rear around more would do it for me.

@randyrockstiff --- 2.56.337 DC 7
Eiger. 1.20.262
DC. 7

Really had to work hard to get the car to stop consistently,turn in for the first section was reasonably good but you have to wait for the rear to come around before accelerating so the car doesn't pull to the side,same for the uphill section.

Deep Forrest
DC. 7.
I didn't have problems with the brakes here, it just lacks a decent rotation, I had to slow down too much to get around corners without going wide.

@xande1959--- 2.56.655...DC 7.75
Eiger. 1.20.313
DC. 8

Feels really good this car, turns and breaks good for its weight compared to the light weights and feels more alive compared to Shaun's.

Deep Forrest
DC. 7.5
Didn't feel as good here, a little bit more turn in on the medium speed corners just to get the rear to come around a bit more, and I struggled to get a good run on the last left hand corner coming on to the straight , it's always been hit or miss for me that corner.

@DolHaus --- 2.54.452-- DC 8.75
Eiger. 1.19.420
DC. 9

Does every thing really well, you can get aggressive in the slow corners without worrying where the rear will end up, it brakes well and gets around the corners with no fuss, a really good setup .

Deep Forrest
DC 8.5
Gets around the track well , easy to keep the right line, has a really good change of direction that brings the rear around.

@shaunm80--- 2.55.846 -- DC 7.875
Eiger. 1.20.205
DC. 7.75

Not a lot to say about this car , it's like your old faithful ... gets the job done without any fuss, you could drive it for a long time without really having to concentrate about throttle control or anything else.
Probably needs to be driven with a manual and aggressively to get through the second corner ( the left hander) in first gear just to get the rear around a bit better, what's strange is that Xande's car will go down to first gear most times at that corner.... Overall a good setup.

Deep Forrest
DC. 8
Much better suited to this track,gets through the medium speed corners well , without pushing to the outside and was easier to get a better line through the last left hander ... Very good.

@Otaliema -- 2.54.013 --DC 8.25
Eiger. 1.19.395
DC. 8.5

Pretty much ticks all the boxes , it handled everything well without getting out of shape, well done.

Deep Forrest. 1.34.618
DC. 8

Worked pretty good on this track once I stopped trying to rush things,like you said in your tuning sheet , let it coast through the corners.

@Gino Caberlin -- 2.54.176 --DC 8.25
Eiger. 1.19.449
DC. 8

A very easy drive, really good traction , gets through the uphill section without any fuss, does everything well, just feels a little restricted to the others.

Deep Forrest. 1.34.727
DC. 8.5

Compared to the other MR2's your car seems docile but it gets the job done without constantly thinking about throttle input, like Otaliema 's let it coast through the corners , was one of the easiest cars to get the last corner consistently . Well done.

@Praiano6 --- 2.53.966 --DC 8.75
Eiger. 1.19.576
DC. 8.5

Good slow speed turn in for the first section, was able to hold a good line on the right hander before the tunnel without getting out of shape, and once you got the right amount of throttle lift off for the section after the tunnel it was a fairly easy drive.

Deep Forrest. 1.34.390
DC. 9

Very safe on this track, the rear had great grip that allowed you to get on the gas so early without loosing everything , especially the longer corners and when it did slide it wasn't excessive , my only problem was the last corner I just can't seem to get a consistent line through there, but that's me not the car . Well done

@brian wolf -- 2.56.293 --DC 7.5
Eiger. 1.20.314
DC. 7.5
A decent set up , does everything well, but the rear is just a bit too slippery to get through the right hander before the tunnel and the right left after the tunnel consistently.

Deep Forrest. 1.35.979
DC. 7.5

A bit of a strange one here,to me the car felt reasonably well, I could keep a decent driving line, it changed direction good enough and the wheel spin wasn't as bad here, but it was slow , it was the heaviest of the MR2's by 33to 63 kilo's , I tried it with less weight and it was quicker in parts but made the rear more slipperier .

@Lionheart2113 --- 2.53.794 -- DC 8.375
Eiger- 1.19.188
DC. 8.75
This was a pleasant surprise, right from the start the car felt good, the turn into the corners was good , wheel spin was manageable coming out of corners and the right hander after the tunnel was a breeze every time.
Job well done.

Deep Forrest. 1.34.606
DC 8

Really good brakes and it was quick but in the faster sections I was constantly fighting the rear, much like Ronald's the rear couldn't match the front in grip, an edge of your seat ride. Overall well done.

@Ronald6 --- 2.54.705 -- DC 7.75
Eiger. 1.19.627
DC. 7.75

I tried to be gentle but there were too many places where I lost traction, brakes and low speed turn in we're good, I had trouble with the right hander before the tunnel with lack of traction,it got through the other side of the tunnel pretty good without getting out of shape.

Deep Forrest. 1.35.078
DC. 7.75

Really good front end grip that handled most of the track well , but I had trouble from the fast left hander at the bottom of the hill leading up to the tunnel and the other two after the tunnel, the rear would let go and I couldn't get the speed and control the slide, the pit lane grabbed me twice.

Thanks to Dolhaus for putting together this quite enjoyable contest, it has definitely improved my throttle control, and to you tuners who really make the game so much more enjoyable to us non tuners who much of the time use your settings without so much as a thank you.
Sorry about all the fractions in the DC's but that how I felt a car was at the end of a session, very little between one and another, but that's what you get having to divide by 2.
Thank you for your thorough testing, great job 👍

I'm taking the day off tomorrow so I will update the rankings and check the numbers as I go, they look about right at a glance though

@Lionheart2113 --- 2.53.794 -- DC 8.375
Eiger- 1.19.188
DC. 8.75
This was a pleasant surprise, right from the start the car felt good, the turn into the corners was good , wheel spin was manageable coming out of corners and the right hander after the tunnel was a breeze every time.
Job well done.

Deep Forrest. 1.34.606
DC 8

Really good brakes and it was quick but in the faster sections I was constantly fighting the rear, much like Ronald's the rear couldn't match the front in grip, an edge of your seat ride. Overall well done.

Thank you for testing and the review. It is always difficult to find and keep testers. I'm glad to see that you found some speed with my car even though you weren't comfortable in it. Nice job!👍

@CyKosis1973 was I that far off of your time at Motegi?:scared:
Only about 0.5 slower, maybe not even that 👍

I believe the words everyone is looking for with their many long winded explinations is: sacrifice. You sacrifice the first corner for a better exit from the second corner for the straight after. :D:cheers:
There's no sacrificing in my cars ... unless you're talking about the contents of the boot? :mischievous:

{Cy}

Thank you for testing and the review. It is always difficult to find and keep testers. I'm glad to see that you found some speed with my car even though you weren't comfortable in it. Nice job!👍

you"re welcome, Eiger was great but Deep Forest I just couldn't get into a good rhythm.
I often keep an eye on the FITT comps and it really surprises me the lack of testers you have, personally I don't normally drive on comforts unless I have to but you get used to them, just like ABS 0 by the end it was ok, it just makes you a better driver in the long run.

Acura NSX LM Race Car '91
Drivetrain: MR

@MrGrado (ABS 0)
Special Stage Route 5 = 1:29.672
Twin Ring Motegi East = 1:28.738
DC Score: 6.5
Review: This car needs a precision driver/surgeon at the wheel. Unfortunately I am neither. The brakes loved to lock up at the slightest sniff that I was going to hit the button. On the rare occasion that I hit them right, this car would eat up corner entry. But by the time you hit mid corner, the car would start to slide loose, even more so when the throttle was applied on exit. I can see how aliens (uh hem like MrGrado) could love this car, but for most of us average Joe's, we would find it a handful.

Thanks for testing. Those are great times you are getting if your using Dpad/square/x! I can understand it would be difficult to drive with digital input. I drive with left stick and triggers. Right stick for gear changes. I have wheel and pedals, I'm just really really lazy and I rarely set them up.

I will not be online for next few days, so thank you to other testers in advance. I can't wait to get back after the weekend and see the results.

Looks good, the only suggestion would be the DC total column (AG) should have 3 decimal places with some of the testers average scores being x.xxx
Nit picking I know...!:boggled:
If the results were close enough to warrant the extra digit then I would include it, otherwise it just looks a mess as some of the numbers run to 5 decimal places.

Oh it's going to be that close my friend!:lol:
I run the whole set of numbers every time so if it is that close then I have the numbers at hand, while it is spread out I'd rather keep it tidy and easy to read (mostly because it helps me sort the ranking out faster)

4/5 compelete on RX-7 and my controller dies :banghead: @xande1959 how the 🤬 did you make your car handle like that :lol: it behaves like every other drive train just not a FR

Its weird isn't it? When I accidentally ran it with Rigidity Improvement I could have sworn I was driving a stock R35 GTR :lol:

I run the whole set of numbers every time so if it is that close then I have the numbers at hand, while it is spread out I'd rather keep it tidy and easy to read (mostly because it helps me sort the ranking out faster)

Its weird isn't it? When I accidentally ran it with Rigidity Improvement I could have sworn I was driving a stock R35 GTR :lol:
If I was just handed this car IRL I would swear they had done a AWD upgrade to it with its push me pull you tendencys with drive bias set to 60:40 front due to the insane stability it has.

*Knock knock* Hey, guys..?? *pushes door against tide of empty Redbull cans and greasy overall* Guys? Is there anyone in here? *sniff* OMG!! What the f...? I think someone or something died in here. Yeah, I'll, eh, I'll come back later, all right? Hope nobody got hurt during testing. I'll, err, yeah, I'll, umm, I'll grab you some scented candles, you know, just to, ahhh, say thanks for testing :crazy:

I mean like, what the f...!! I know it smells pretty bad on top of The Hill, but I guess at least there must be a breeze up there...

Road Racers

RX7

@ImToLegitToQuit

SSR5: 1:28.102
Motegi: 1:27.282

DC: 9.5

Really impressive and enjoyable car, does everything you ask of it and just allows you to keep pushing and pushing. The gearing was a bit long, barely touched 5th and definitely never saw 6th, this didn't seem to slow it down but I'd be interested in hearing the thinking behind this. The car had great balance and didn't really seem phased by anything I threw at it, the .5 was only lost because I couldn't get the rear wheels loose using the throttle and I feel that I could have been faster in places with a slightly tighter diff.

@Lionheart2113

SSR5: 1:29.181
Motegi: 1:27.905

DC: 6.5

Wasn't bad but was kind of difficult to figure out what it wanted from one moment to the next. Gearing felt a little bit odd, the lower gears were quite short and the 5th felt a bit too long. Brakes felt predictable and strong. Could get a bit feisty coming out of the lower speed corners but if you could keep it together then the car could probably deliver decent times.
*Tested with Rigidity Improvement and its a completely different beast, really precise steering and much easier to drive quickly.

@DolHaus

SSR5: 1:28:498
Motegi: 1:27.930

DC: 5

My rear toe is listed incorrectly, should be +0.18 rather than -0.18....

@xande1959

SSR5: 1:28.902
Motegi: 1:27.346

DC: 8.5

A bit of an odd car this one, loads of natural grip but it felt very strange at the same time. It may have a Mazda badge on the front but it felt like I was driving a Skyline GTR, loads of grip and a slight hesitance to steering input. It really did feel like a 4WD and responded equally when driven like one, I found that if you tried to push too hard it would give you understeer but if you just tried to be smooth and roll through corners it would hold its speed well and it would show in the lap times. Overall I liked how different it felt to the other cars, would have been nice to see what it could do with a custom trans.

@Gino Caberlin

SSR5: 1:29.302
Motegi: 1:27.867

DC: 7

A lot of grip in the slower corners due to the relatively soft springs but the car paid the price during the faster stuff as it just couldn't hold the speed. I also found that the transmission was a little bit short as well and I was nearly hitting the rev limiter at the end of the SSR5 main straight and finding the car running out of legs.

Lancer

@sinof1337

SSR5: 1:30.663
Motegi: 1:28.002

Felt much better at Motegi than it did at SSR5 where the understeer was pretty difficult to work around. It had reasonable balance when off the power but the understeer built considerably any time you went near the throttle. For me it was just too safe and stable which prevented me from being able to follow the tighter lines or be aggressive when I needed to.

@787bcgr

SSR5: 1:30.076
Motegi: 1:27.913

A kind of aggressive tune in some respects but not quite aggressive enough to really work for me. I found that the brakes were really numb, they just didn't feel like they were slowing the car until they locked up and gave you a big twitch upon release, this made it hard to get into the corners which is a shame because the car had decent rotation at lower speeds. Mid corner balance was decent enough but the late corner understeer meant you had to plan your line a long way ahead to avoid running wide.

@CyKosis1973

SSR5: 1:30.226
Motegi: 1:28.248

DC: 8

Felt really good to drive, brakes felt solid and predictable, corner entry was good at lower speeds and the extra downforce helped maintain that grip through mid and exit. As long as you kept it under 110mph it would do as you asked but above this it would become a bit unresponsive. The combination of downforce and ballast seemed to kill the cars straight line performance, it felt like it should have been faster but the clock always said otherwise.

@Otaliema

SSR5: 1:30.455
Motegi: 1:27.308

A bit of a difficult car this one, the locked rear diff gave it great drive out of the slow corners but it gave it a ton of understeer everywhere else. I've worked a fair bit with locked rear diffs and I've always found the key to making them work is having the rear end slightly unstable so you can use the throttle to get better rotation. With this tune it felt far too stable and there just wasn't enough power being sent to the rear to give me that option when I needed it. Maybe lower the acc on the front and sending more power to the rear might solve it? At Motegi the car felt great but on SSR5 I just couldn't get the rotation and spent a lot of times riding the understeer into the barriers.

@randyrockstiff

SSR5: 1:29.807
Motegi: 1:27.806

Enjoyed this one quite a lot but I can't really define why. It felt quite well balanced but a little bit rough, the front end didn't quite have enough grip and the rear would frequently break loose under braking but I liked that about it, gave the car a personality.

NSX

@Bowtie-muscle

SSR5: 1:28.625
Motegi: 1:27.150

The car felt great at low speed, good rotation on entry and mid corner, could get a little bit feisty on exit but was very manageable. The brakes felt capable but the car had some slight instability issues under hard braking, not a really problem but did catch me out a few times when I was trying to push. The car got a bit unresponsive over 100mph as a result of the higher rear downforce but this was only a problem on a few corners and for the most part the extra grip was appreciated.

@Ridox2JZGTE

SSR5: 1:30.638
Motegi: 1:29.800

Very stable at speed and easy to drive, the downside to that was it suffered in the low speed corners with some understeer on entry and oversteer on exit. It was all fairly manageable though, you just lost some speed if you didn't drive carefully in these sections. The brakes felt decent enough, felt like it could have done with a slight rear bias as I often found myself wanting more rotation during braking as it did love to plough on in a straight line.

@shaunm80

SSR5: 1:28.389
Motegi: 1:27.121

Not an easy car to drive fast as the margin for error is quite slim and mistakes are quickly punished. Has a tendency to light the rear tyres up on exit and the brakes can be a little bit aggressive at times but the car felt balanced and poised if you stayed on its good side. Definitely more of a hot lap car than a racer but good fun to try and keep facing in the right direction.

@MrGrado

SSR5: 1:30.665
Motegi: 1:30.630

DC: 7.5

I think the word 'sensitive' best describes this car, it had incredible balance and felt like it could be phenomenally fast in the right hands. Unfortunately I was born with the hands of a mere mortal and could only hold the car together for 95% of a lap before having a massive accident. While balanced on the knife edge the car was incredible, it was so poised and precise but required constant adjustment and by the time you realised you'd made a mistake it was already too late to do anything about it. I think with ABS 1 this could have been fastest, the brakes were just savage with ABS 0, instant lock up as soon as you touched them. The transmission was a bit odd as well, felt way too specialised for two different tracks. All this said, those moments when I had it in that golden zone just before crashing were completely worth all the flaws, I just wish I could have held it together for a lap to see what time it could have really done.

Road Racers

RX7

@ImToLegitToQuit

Really impressive and enjoyable car, does everything you ask of it and just allows you to keep pushing and pushing. The gearing was a bit long, barely touched 5th and definitely never saw 6th, this didn't seem to slow it down but I'd be interested in hearing the thinking behind this. The car had great balance and didn't really seem phased by anything I threw at it, the .5 was only lost because I couldn't get the rear wheels loose using the throttle and I feel that I could have been faster in places with a slightly tighter diff.

@Lionheart2113

Wasn't bad but was kind of difficult to figure out what it wanted from one moment to the next. Gearing felt a little bit odd, the lower gears were quite short and the 5th felt a bit too long. Brakes felt predictable and strong. Could get a bit feisty coming out of the lower speed corners but if you could keep it together then the car could probably deliver decent times.
*Tested with Rigidity Improvement and its a completely different beast, really precise steering and much easier to drive quickly.

@DolHaus

@xande1959

A bit of an odd car this one, loads of natural grip but it felt very strange at the same time. It may have a Mazda badge on the front but it felt like I was driving a Skyline GTR, loads of grip and a slight hesitance to steering input. It really did feel like a 4WD and responded equally when driven like one, I found that if you tried to push too hard it would give you understeer but if you just tried to be smooth and roll through corners it would hold its speed well and it would show in the lap times. Overall I liked how different it felt to the other cars, would have been nice to see what it could do with a custom trans.

@Gino Caberlin

A lot of grip in the slower corners due to the relatively soft springs but the car paid the price during the faster stuff as it just couldn't hold the speed. I also found that the transmission was a little bit short as well and I was nearly hitting the rev limiter at the end of the SSR5 main straight and finding the car running out of legs.

Lancer

@sinof1337

Felt much better at Motegi than it did at SSR5 where the understeer was pretty difficult to work around. It had reasonable balance when off the power but the understeer built considerably any time you went near the throttle. For me it was just too safe and stable which prevented me from being able to follow the tighter lines or be aggressive when I needed to.

@787bcgr

A kind of aggressive tune in some respects but not quite aggressive enough to really work for me. I found that the brakes were really numb, they just didn't feel like they were slowing the car until they locked up and gave you a big twitch upon release, this made it hard to get into the corners which is a shame because the car had decent rotation at lower speeds. Mid corner balance was decent enough but the late corner understeer meant you had to plan your line a long way ahead to avoid running wide.

@CyKosis1973

Felt really good to drive, brakes felt solid and predictable, corner entry was good at lower speeds and the extra downforce helped maintain that grip through mid and exit. As long as you kept it under 110mph it would do as you asked but above this it would become a bit unresponsive. The combination of downforce and ballast seemed to kill the cars straight line performance, it felt like it should have been faster but the clock always said otherwise.

@Otaliema

A bit of a difficult car this one, the locked rear diff gave it great drive out of the slow corners but it gave it a ton of understeer everywhere else. I've worked a fair bit with locked rear diffs and I've always found the key to making them work is having the rear end slightly unstable so you can use the throttle to get better rotation. With this tune it felt far too stable and there just wasn't enough power being sent to the rear to give me that option when I needed it. Maybe lower the acc on the front and sending more power to the rear might solve it? At Motegi the car felt great but on SSR5 I just couldn't get the rotation and spent a lot of times riding the understeer into the barriers.

@randyrockstiff

Enjoyed this one quite a lot but I can't really define why. It felt quite well balanced but a little bit rough, the front end didn't quite have enough grip and the rear would frequently break loose under braking but I liked that about it, gave the car a personality.

NSX

@Bowtie-muscle

The car felt great at low speed, good rotation on entry and mid corner, could get a little bit feisty on exit but was very manageable. The brakes felt capable but the car had some slight instability issues under hard braking, not a really problem but did catch me out a few times when I was trying to push. The car got a bit unresponsive over 100mph as a result of the higher rear downforce but this was only a problem on a few corners and for the most part the extra grip was appreciated.

@Ridox2JZGTE

Very stable at speed and easy to drive, the downside to that was it suffered in the low speed corners with some understeer on entry and oversteer on exit. It was all fairly manageable though, you just lost some speed if you didn't drive carefully in these sections. The brakes felt decent enough, felt like it could have done with a slight rear bias as I often found myself wanting more rotation during braking as it did love to plough on in a straight line.

@shaunm80

Not an easy car to drive fast as the margin for error is quite slim and mistakes are quickly punished. Has a tendency to light the rear tyres up on exit and the brakes can be a little bit aggressive at times but the car felt balanced and poised if you stayed on its good side. Definitely more of a hot lap car than a racer but good fun to try and keep facing in the right direction.

@MrGrado

I think the word 'sensitive' best describes this car, it had incredible balance and felt like it could be phenomenally fast in the right hands. Unfortunately I was born with the hands of a mere mortal and could only hold the car together for 95% of a lap before having a massive accident. While balanced on the knife edge the car was incredible, it was so poised and precise but required constant adjustment and by the time you realised you'd made a mistake it was already too late to do anything about it. I think with ABS 1 this could have been fastest, the brakes were just savage with ABS 0, instant lock up as soon as you touched them. The transmission was a bit odd as well, felt way too specialised for two different tracks. All this said, those moments when I had it in that golden zone just before crashing were completely worth all the flaws, I just wish I could have held it together for a lap to see what time it could have really done.

I'm glad I directed my RX-7 improved my time on the Motegi circuit, I congratulate you for your performance .thank:bowdown::cheers::gtpflag:

Road Racers

RX7

@ImToLegitToQuit

@Lionheart2113

@DolHaus

@xande1959

@Gino Caberlin

Lancer

@sinof1337

@787bcgr

@CyKosis1973

@Otaliema

@randyrockstiff

NSX

@Bowtie-muscle

@Ridox2JZGTE

@shaunm80

@MrGrado

well done on getting a great time out of my nsx. I hope the car behaved itself for the most part, you arent too far off with the hot lap comparison. It does seem more suited to that than wheel to wheel racing stuff.

@DolHaus thanks for testing Sir! Pretty good lap times out of that car, guess it's not as easy a drive as the RX-7 boys. But lap times are really good at Motegi, now to shake off @shaunm80 as we are side by side in those beasts.:D....Maybe he is just starting to pull away though:irked:

Last edited:
Road Racers

RX7

@ImToLegitToQuit

@Lionheart2113

@DolHaus

@xande1959

@Gino Caberlin

Lancer

@sinof1337

@787bcgr

@CyKosis1973

@Otaliema

@randyrockstiff

NSX

@Bowtie-muscle

@Ridox2JZGTE

@shaunm80

@MrGrado

Perhaps i listed my final drive wrong. I was at the top of 6th on ssr5. No worries though and glad you liked it. Thanks for the review

@DolHaus thanks for testing Sir! Pretty good lap times out of that car, guess it's not as easy a drive as the RX-7 boys. But lap times are really good at Motegi, now to shake off @shaunm80 as we are side by side in those beasts.:D....Maybe he is just starting to pull awat though:irked:

I must not be awake yet because I thought you said he was pulling a "Tee double you aye tee"...I thought some stuff was about to go down.:lol::scared:

Edit: I had to edit that like 6 times lol

Perhaps i listed my final drive wrong. I was at the top of 6th on ssr5. No worries though and glad you liked it. Thanks for the review

I must not be awake yet because I thought you said he was pulling a "Tee double you aye tee"...I thought some stuff was about to go down.:lol::scared:

Edit: I had to edit that like 6 times lol
Not enough coffee, hit the wrong key:banghead:......fixed it for your eyes.:sly:

Results are in for Road Racers

All cars tested for 10 minutes (usually 7 complete laps), using DS3 (x throttle and square brake) with all aids off except ABS1 (unless stated otherwise) and driving line.

Posted in tested order.

@Lionheart2113

Motegi - 1:27:376
SSR5 - 1:28:622
DC - 7.5

Good turn in bordering on oversteer. A little throttle control required to get around safely. Good performance over the 2 tracks. Felt quite loose.

@ImToLegitToQuit

Motegi - 1:27:731
SSR5 - 1:28:003
DC - 7

A little stiffer and felt quite stable. Understeer present though, with the odd loss of grip through the faster sections. Fared better at SSR5 for me.

@DolHaus

Motegi - 1:27:511
SSR5 - 1:28:248
DC - 8
Nice stable car with good turn in and rotation. Noticed a bit of oversteer on SSR5.

@xande1959

Motegi - 1:27:303
SSR5 - 1:28:053
DC - 8
A bit of understeer present but a good solid tune. Good grip through the corners and easy to get the power down.

@Gino Caberlin

Motegi - 1:27:477
SSR5 - 1:28:598
DC - 8
Good solid tune with a hint of oversteer at Motegi. Good all round car at SSR5.

@sinof1337

Motegi - 1:27:900
SSR5 - 1:30:435
DC - 7
Issues with understeer here, more noticable on SSR5, and it hurt the lap times. Had to lift off for corners that should have been full throttle. More managebale at Motegi.

@787bcgr

Motegi - 1:27:082
SSR5 - 1:29:631
DC - 7.5
Some off throttle understeer that I had to alter my line for. Easier to get round Motegi. Understeer again affected time at SSR5. Easy to get on the power.

@CyKosis1973

Motegi - 1:27:335
SSR5 - 1:29:415
DC - 8.5
Felt quite light and nimble, strange considering what was in the boot. Less understeer than I was expecting, but still had some issues at SSR5. Stable under braking and no drama's getting on the power.

@randyrockstiff

Motegi - 1:27:475
SSR5 - 1:29:369
DC - 8.5
Well balanced car. Good under braking and easy to get power down. Good turn in and rotation through the corner. A little off throttle understeer. Good balance on both tracks.

@Otaliema

Motegi - 1:27:151
SSR5 - 1:29:793
DC - 8
As the notes say, corner entry is key. If you get that right, mash the throttle and it'll stick. Get it wrong though, and you'll not recover. Good job on Twin Ring.

@Bowtie-muscle

Motegi - 1:27:639
SSR5 - 1:28:947
DC - 8.5
Comfortable car to drive. Good turn in and rotaion with a little understeer through the slower corners. Be careful how far you push it though.

@shaunm80

Motegi - 1:27:059
SSR5 - 1:28:916
DC - 9
Well balanced car over both tracks. Slight issue with lock up under braking on SSR5, but easily sorted. Good job on Motegi.

@Ridox2JZGTE
ABS0
Motegi - 1:29:846
SSR5 - 1:31:346
DC - 6
Feels like a well balanced car, but my inability to drive ABS0 shows in the times. Struggled to cope with the lock up under braking and the lack of response immediately after. You did manage to make it driveable thoug.

@MrGrado
ABS0
Motegi - 1:31:952
SSR5 - 1:35:412
DC - 5
Really struggled in this one. Brakes locked up very early compare to Ridox's submission, then suffered from brake release oversteer, which I struggled to contain on SSR5. A little easier to control at Motegi. I don't think i'll be moving to ABS 0 whilst using a DS3.

All cars tested for 10 minutes (usually 7 complete laps), using DS3 (x throttle and square brake) with all aids off except ABS1 (unless stated otherwise) and driving line.

Posted in tested order.

@Lionheart2113

Motegi - 1:27:376
SSR5 - 1:28:622
DC - 7.5

Good turn in bordering on oversteer. A little throttle control required to get around safely. Good performance over the 2 tracks. Felt quite loose.

@ImToLegitToQuit

Motegi - 1:27:731
SSR5 - 1:28:003
DC - 7

A little stiffer and felt quite stable. Understeer present though, with the odd loss of grip through the faster sections. Fared better at SSR5 for me.

@DolHaus

Motegi - 1:27:511
SSR5 - 1:28:248
DC - 8
Nice stable car with good turn in and rotation. Noticed a bit of oversteer on SSR5.

@xande1959

Motegi - 1:27:303
SSR5 - 1:28:053
DC - 8
A bit of understeer present but a good solid tune. Good grip through the corners and easy to get the power down.

@Gino Caberlin

Motegi - 1:27:477
SSR5 - 1:28:598
DC - 8
Good solid tune with a hint of oversteer at Motegi. Good all round car at SSR5.

@sinof1337

Motegi - 1:27:900
SSR5 - 1:30:435
DC - 7
Issues with understeer here, more noticable on SSR5, and it hurt the lap times. Had to lift off for corners that should have been full throttle. More managebale at Motegi.

@787bcgr

Motegi - 1:27:082
SSR5 - 1:29:631
DC - 7.5
Some off throttle understeer that I had to alter my line for. Easier to get round Motegi. Understeer again affected time at SSR5. Easy to get on the power.

@CyKosis1973

Motegi - 1:27:335
SSR5 - 1:29:415
DC - 8.5
Felt quite light and nimble, strange considering what was in the boot. Less understeer than I was expecting, but still had some issues at SSR5. Stable under braking and no drama's getting on the power.

@randyrockstiff

Motegi - 1:27:475
SSR5 - 1:29:369
DC - 8.5
Well balanced car. Good under braking and easy to get power down. Good turn in and rotation through the corner. A little off throttle understeer. Good balance on both tracks.

@Otaliema

DC - 8
As the notes say, corner entry is key. If you get that right, mash the throttle and it'll stick. Get it wrong though, and you'll not recover. Good job on Twin Ring.

@Bowtie-muscle

Motegi - 1:27:639
SSR5 - 1:28:947
DC - 8.5
Comfortable car to drive. Good turn in and rotaion with a little understeer through the slower corners. Be careful how far you push it though.

@shaunm80

Motegi - 1:27:059
SSR5 - 1:28:916
DC - 9
Well balanced car over both tracks. Slight issue with lock up under braking on SSR5, but easily sorted. Good job on Motegi.

@Ridox2JZGTE
ABS0
Motegi - 1:29:846
SSR5 - 1:31:346
DC - 6
Feels like a well balanced car, but my inability to drive ABS0 shows in the times. Struggled to cope with the lock up under braking and the lack of response immediately after. You did manage to make it driveable thoug.

@MrGrado
ABS0
Motegi - 1:31:952
SSR5 - 1:35:412
DC - 5
Really struggled in this one. Brakes locked up very early compare to Ridox's submission, then suffered from brake release oversteer, which I struggled to contain on SSR5. A little easier to control at Motegi. I don't think i'll be moving to ABS 0 whilst using a DS3.
Thank you for testing 👍 Appreciate the feedback.

Road Racers
@Otaliema

Little to aggressive on the throttle on there ;) break it in coast it a little than mash the throttle and it will turn on a dime, the big key is learning when to smash the gas for each type of turn, thank you for the review I'll look into loosing the tail a bit but keeping most of the stability.

Posted in tested order.

@Otaliema

DC - 8
Thank for for the review and taking the notes into account when driving.
As for abs 0 driving take my MR2 back out and give it a spin I set up the breaks in abs0 with that car, you will just lock the wheels with a ds3, if you want to avoid lock up, drop break balance by one click front and back.

@DolHaus would you have liked my tune more, would it have been better with rear downforce at 325? I had it there and my time was better at SSR5 but suffered at Motegi on exit, flipped a coin and upped it. Did I call tails for the wrong option? :dopey:

Back